Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Good Recognition

ASUchipman

Good Recognition

Unread post by ASUchipman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:12 pm

AppNC
School: Appalachian State

Re: Good Recognition

Unread post by AppNC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Just goes to show it's not all about the stars.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Pretty amazing.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Impressed!

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Impressive. To think if the coaching remains as good and the recruiting improves!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:42 pm

I’ve said this before and stick by it. There is simply magic on the mountain. Kids come for a visit and love the place. And apparently we just do things right. I’m a Panthers fan through and through but I appreciate the Patriots way. They don’t continue success simply because of Brady and Belicheck. It’s a culture that stays constant.

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Looks like Syracuse was the top "overachieving" P5. Also interesting is that this list considers UNCC to be "overachieving".

EDIT:
The scatter plot someone made is telling, as well.

https://i.imgur.com/cxBPCEK.png

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 am

The Georgia Southern recruiting ranking should be concerning. They were 83rd while App was 119th. Sure there is some context on a year over year basis but for a four year period, that disparity will eventually play out on the field if the recruiting game isn't stepped up.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 am
The Georgia Southern recruiting ranking should be concerning. They were 83rd while App was 119th. Sure there is some context on a year over year basis but for a four year period, that disparity will eventually play out on the field if the recruiting game isn't stepped up.
Without looking I assume a very large number of their players are in state. Gives them an advantage in a state loaded with football talent and only 2 p5 schools in state to recruit against. I hope we continue hitting the southeast for most our talent.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am

Apptrain wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am
ericsaid wrote:
Without looking I assume a very large number of their players are in state. Gives them an advantage in a state loaded with football talent and only 2 p5 schools in state to recruit against. I hope we continue hitting the southeast for most our talent.
Of course it helps to be in a talent rich state but App has roots in Georgia and has never had an issue getting talent out of there. All I know is that while App has talented players, scheme is also a huge factor in the ability to perform. Lets hope the scheme doesn't change a whole lot to where deficiencies in talent level begin to surface.

As those rankings showed, there is a standard normal distribution there and App is at the very end of the right tail in terms of performance. Statistics would have you believe that type of performance isn't something that will be repeated often. App would likely be forecasted to course correct to 8 wins or so and a ranking in the 80's or 90's.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am

I am not concerned at all with our recruiting ranking. We have traditionally gone out and got players that fit and then we win with them. I expect that to continue under Coach Drink, and I expect that our recruiting rankings will continue to be 7th or 8th in the conference. They can crow about their recruiting class rank and we'll make room for new trophies.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:07 pm

ericsaid wrote:
I disagree that the disparity will eventually play out IF things remain as they've been. The question mark is whether our new coaching staff maintains similar recruiting philosophy and succeeds in developing talent the way we have historically. The reason I'm saying it won't "play out" is because this isn't a fluke or some sort of timing issue. The disparity reflects our ability to identify talent that is flying under the radar. The whole point is that, at the G5 level, those rankings have minimal value if any.

Just to be clear, I would love to see those numbers being higher, but as long as we are bringing in talent the "stars" don't really matter.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am
ericsaid wrote:
As young as we are, and as well as we performed on the field, I don’t think there’s as much of an issue as you state. Our players fit our schemes. Measurables are factored into the rankings and, as is often pointed out, App players tend to be smaller than other teams. Sometimes our guys don’t pass an eye test, but their talent and coachability is extremely high.
Give 'em hell!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:39 pm

No team ever got a trophy for recruiting rankings.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:15 pm

Those rankings also reflect the number of players in a class. If you have a small class your rankings suffer.

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:28 pm

Ranking classes outside of the top 30 players per position is asinine. App has not overachieved with the 119th ranked recruiting class over for years...rather we have had a top 50 recruiting class over for years and these agency don't know how to evaluate talent.

UNC was allegedly 27th in this ranking. There is 0 correlation between recruiting classes and performance outside of the top 15 via this ranking system....which means they are wrong.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:28 pm
Ranking classes outside of the top 30 players per position is asinine. App has not overachieved with the 119th ranked recruiting class over for years...rather we have had a top 50 recruiting class over for years and these agency don't know how to evaluate talent.

UNC was allegedly 27th in this ranking. There is 0 correlation between recruiting classes and performance outside of the top 15 via this ranking system....which means they are wrong.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that except to say evaluations on G5 talent are typically incomplete. Where a 5 star kid gets every evaluation service to come see him, 2 and 3 star guys may get one. Then the rest fill in their evals based on what the other guys say (if at all) and what other schools offer them. A 3 star that gets an offer from clemson will suddenly be a 4 star.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:20 pm

I believe you rank a specific recruiting class 2 years or so later. Let’s say we bring in 15 guys. By the time that class are juniors or RS Sophomores how many are getting significant PT, start, etc? What is the team record? Way too many intangibles to consider. You rarely hear stories about P5 guys-became stars with little or no offers because they all typically get many offers. How many 4 star guys flame out, drop out or rarely play at a major school?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:39 pm
Tell that to Alabama and App while in FCS. Tell that to NDSU and JMU in FCS. There is a positive correlation between recruiting rankings and performance rankings. App just doesn't conform to it. Obviously rankings are subjective and there isn't a variable for Program Fit, Scheme Fit, or retroactively grading recruits based on actual performance.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:39 pm
Tell that to Alabama and App while in FCS. Tell that to NDSU and JMU in FCS. There is a positive correlation between recruiting rankings and performance rankings. App just doesn't conform to it. Obviously rankings are subjective and there isn't a variable for Program Fit, Scheme Fit, or retroactively grading recruits based on actual performance.
Je**s dude, I meant a LITERAL trophy for recruiting. Nobody gets LITERAL trophies for having a top recruiting class.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”