Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Top 25

Apple@chin1
School: Appalachian State

Another Top 25

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Not much content but a nice little blurb about App.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/college-foot ... t-games#24

APPdiesel

Re: Another Top 25

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Web page won't load. Got a quote?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 pm

The Penn State game was voted #24 of the 100 best games of 2018. It said that if it weren’t for poor time management and an ill advised throw to the end zone in overtime, that the game would have had e different ending and that we were one of the best teams in the country. 2019 can’t get here soon enough!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 pm
The Penn State game was voted #24 of the 100 best games of 2018. It said that if it weren’t for poor time management and an ill advised throw to the end zone in overtime, that the game would have had e different ending and that we were one of the best teams in the country. 2019 can’t get here soon enough!
Glad the media has noticed it as well. I thought our coaching as far as clock management and play calling last year was below average while everything else was outstanding. I expect a huge improvement in these two things in 2019.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 am

I whole heartedly agree. I feel like clock management was Satterfield’s greatest flaw. We would have several P5 wins if that weren’t the case. I’m hoping that we have put that boog a boo to bed for the last time. 2019 should be like none we’ve ever seen.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Bad clock management, as in Jalin Moore breaking a tackle at the 15 and running in for the touchdown?

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 pm
Bad clock management, as in Jalin Moore breaking a tackle at the 15 and running in for the touchdown?
I'm not the poster who mentioned satts clock management, but thank you for bringing this up. Satt had to teach jalin yo dive if he got a first down. I was at my brothers house watching the game and when he scores everyone celebrated...and I just put my hands over my face and said "that's it...we lost". Satt made similar mistake vs troy in 2017, that cost us the game.

Satt was also very wasteful with plays and clock management leading up to what should have been good chances for field goal chances to win vs penn state, umass and tennessee. I appreciate satt so much. He could recruit, maintain our culture, motivate and keep our program clean. But clock management and implementing a passing attack were he weaknesses...i just hope drinkwitz keeps pushing us forward

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:42 pm

I’ve seldom seen a RB take a knee versus scoring a TD, that mentality is counter to everything they’ve been taught. I don’t blame Satt for that one.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Jalin's TD didn't cost us the game, poor kick coverage did.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:07 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm
and not kicking it off through the end zone!

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:40 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:07 pm
hapapp wrote:
The KO was seven yards deep in the end zone. The majority of those aren't returned. The KR danced and hesitated before deciding to bring it out. Our coverage guy missed a tackle that would have nailed him at the 7 yard line and it was off to the races. It was like the hand of fate on that play was directing things against us and for Penn State.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:40 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
hapapp wrote:
The KO was seven yards deep in the end zone. The majority of those aren't returned. The KR danced and hesitated before deciding to bring it out. Our coverage guy missed a tackle that would have nailed him at the 7 yard line and it was off to the races. It was like the hand of fate on that play was directing things against us and for Penn

7 yds deep? Gotchya...but for some reason I am remembering a shallower kick than that...I do recall the dancing around before bringing it out.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:45 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:40 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
hapapp wrote:
The KO was seven yards deep in the end zone. The majority of those aren't returned. The KR danced and hesitated before deciding to bring it out. Our coverage guy missed a tackle that would have nailed him at the 7 yard line and it was off to the races. It was like the hand of fate on that play was directing things against us and for Penn State.
Or, their playmakers (KR, McSorley, Oruwariye) stepping up and making plays down the stretch. Just like Jalen Moore did for us.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:54 am

Peoples, Evans, Sutton, Zac, Hennigan, Malik, Pearson/Reed, Marcus

Our top rated recruit from 2018 was WR Braden Collins and the TE Kofoed is supposed to be really good, too.

All while returning 4 starters on the O-line. If Drink and company don't produce one of the top scoring offenses in FBS, I'll be disappointed.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:44 am

hapapp wrote:
Look at it this way. Had they got Jalin to keep the ball in bounds and not score, we could have kneeled the ball or ran up the middle. Then we could have ran the clock down and not had to worry about the kick coverage.

Knowing that we were on the road in a hostile environment, you do not give the other team the ball under any circumstance if you can. You drain the clock, kick a field goal, and get out of their without giving McSorley any shot, even if he has the ball on his own one-yard line.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:47 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:54 am
Peoples, Evans, Sutton, Zac, Hennigan, Malik, Pearson/Reed, Marcus

Our top rated recruit from 2018 was WR Braden Collins and the TE Kofoed is supposed to be really good, too.

All while returning 4 starters on the O-line. If Drink and company don't produce one of the top scoring offenses in FBS, I'll be disappointed.
I don't give a crap where our units rank as long as we are 13-0. If we are then I'm sure the defense will be top 15-20 and the offense will be top 20 but as long as we are 13-0 I don't care. If we are 13-0 then GSU, ASU, Troy, etc could be #1 scoring and total offense/defense in the SBC. I want to beat UNC and South Carolina and not just by a field goal but I expect double digit wins in both games.

We have more talent than we ever had in Boone, by a long shot. This team SHOULD be the first legit top 20 FBS team the SBC has ever had.

The goals of Drink, players, and Gillin are the same as me. 1. Win the SBC title game 2. Sweep the SBC 3. Be ranked most of the year and finish rnked 3. Undefeated season 4. Win a bowl game

If we go 1-0 every week by being the best team in the stadium we play in on that given day then we can do exactly what I just said. There is no game in 2019 that we can't win. The talent is there. Drink has been given the keys to 2019 Jaguar and he just has to keep it in between the lines and we can do it.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:15 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:44 am
hapapp wrote:
Look at it this way. Had they got Jalin to keep the ball in bounds and not score, we could have kneeled the ball or ran up the middle. Then we could have ran the clock down and not had to worry about the kick coverage.

Knowing that we were on the road in a hostile environment, you do not give the other team the ball under any circumstance if you can. You drain the clock, kick a field goal, and get out of their without giving McSorley any shot, even if he has the ball on his own one-yard line.
All that is true in retrospect but no coach or player is ever going to intentionally run out of bounds with open field ahead of them. There is no guarantee that we punch it across if we do. Fumbles, penalties, sacks....all those are real possibilities in that situation. Never take points off the board.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:15 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:44 am
hapapp wrote:

All that is true in retrospect but no coach or player is ever going to intentionally run out of bounds with open field ahead of them. There is no guarantee that we punch it across if we do. Fumbles, penalties, sacks....all those are real possibilities in that situation. Never take points off the board.
Actually, I have seen teams use strategy and go down in bounds to run out the clock. We did not need a TD. Just needed to drain the clock down and kick a field goal as time expired. Nothing is guaranteed either way but the smartest thing to do in terms of clock management would have been to not let Penn State get the ball back. We also managed the clock poorly against Tennessee and a few other games. I would have said the fact we had a good FCS caliber QB then was the difference but seeing our poor clock management and bad play calls at times in 2018 showed me Scott still has to develop in that area. Hopefully for him he improves on that in the ACC because the coaching is a lot better up there.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm

I just can't include a successful TD play as "poor clock management." I really do understand what you're saying and I know it has happened, but it is by far the exception. The closest thing to guaranteed is for the RB to keep running with there is green grass in front of him. If he had made the TD on a long pass, I'd say it was a coaching decision (poor clock management) especially if we were moving the ball on the ground. I agree there were games where clock management at the end of the game was a weakness. I just don't see this as one of them.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm
I just can't include a successful TD play as "poor clock management." I really do understand what you're saying and I know it has happened, but it is by far the exception. The closest thing to guaranteed is for the RB to keep running with there is green grass in front of him. If he had made the TD on a long pass, I'd say it was a coaching decision (poor clock management) especially if we were moving the ball on the ground. I agree there were games where clock management was a weakness. I just don't see this as one of them.
It is when you give as much time as we did. Score with say 15 seconds left but my goodness don't give a team like Penn State at home with a minute or more and a timeout or two.

it is like when a team throws a pass on 4th down from the 40 yard line and the DB picks it off in the endzone and then takes the touchback. The INT is a bad decision in terms of field position because you are only getting the ball at the 25 or so instead of the 40.

Football is more than just about talent because great coaching and strategy can negate some of those things. Penn State was a more talented team than we were. Giving them the ball with that much time is just stupid. We could have still won but I still don't like that risk.

When/how you use timeouts, clock management, field position game, playcalling, etc. are all things that are coaching decisions which, believe it or not, impact games greatly and often win or lose a game for the team.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”