Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Top 25

JMappfan5
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another Top 25

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm
I just can't include a successful TD play as "poor clock management." I really do understand what you're saying and I know it has happened, but it is by far the exception. The closest thing to guaranteed is for the RB to keep running with there is green grass in front of him. If he had made the TD on a long pass, I'd say it was a coaching decision (poor clock management) especially if we were moving the ball on the ground. I agree there were games where clock management at the end of the game was a weakness. I just don't see this as one of them.
I agree with you. Give me the TD every day. Just got to give PSU credit, they made some great plays. Not scoring there is RISKY, FGs aren't guaranteed and we would run the risk of a turnover or a big penalty. Jalin did the RIGHT thing in this situation!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm
When/how you use timeouts, clock management, field position game, playcalling, etc. are all things that are coaching decisions which, believe it or not, impact games greatly and often win or lose a game for the team.
And easy to pick apart with the benefit of hindsight.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm

I really do understand the strategy/strategies you're talking about. Knocking the ball down in the end zone instead of making the interception is a no brainer, but that isn't removing points from the board and it actually moves the ball further down field. That's not the same scenario. We've lost two of our P5 games because of kicking woes. Moore did exactly the right thing by scoring on the busted D. It's ok if we don't agree. Everything looks different after the fact.

Yosef's Musket

Unread post by Yosef's Musket » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:24 pm

The biggest coaching flaw in that game was not going for it on fourth late in the game. Should not have kicked the field goal. Had played aggressive all game and then settled for an out of range kick. That play cost us the game more than any other single play call.
2018 Alumnus

#TIGMA

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 pm

We were facing a fourth-and-four at the PSU 39-yard-line with 20 seconds left and one time out. Had we not converted the fourth down, I'm betting the same number of Monday morning quarterbacks would have questioned that decision. I'm OK with a 56-yard-field goal try in that situation.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm
I really do understand the strategy/strategies you're talking about. Knocking the ball down in the end zone instead of making the interception is a no brainer, but that isn't removing points from the board and it actually moves the ball further down field. That's not the same scenario. We've lost two of our P5 games because of kicking woes. Moore did exactly the right thing by scoring on the busted D. It's ok if we don't agree. Everything looks different after the fact.
Here is the reason why I don't agree. We keep it in bounds and make Penn State burn their timeouts. You then line the ball up in the middle of the field. Perhaps give them the ball with say 30 seconds and no timeouts is a lot better than 1:40 and 2 timeouts or however many they have. We could have kicked a field goal and won in regulation, instead of getting to overtime.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:59 pm

Yosef's Musket wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:24 pm
The biggest coaching flaw in that game was not going for it on fourth late in the game. Should not have kicked the field goal. Had played aggressive all game and then settled for an out of range kick. That play cost us the game more than any other single play call.
That was really bad as well. Scott does not have that "killer" instinct. Don't be surprised if we kept 2 of the best talent evaluators we had last year as well. Scott was really good in that department but Watts is a guy I wanted to keep more than anyone we lost. I also equally wanted to keep Ivey and would have liked to keep Brown but I knew he was going so I had already conceded that one. We got Watts and he is a big keep for us. Bigger to keep him than people realize. He knows what he is doing. Surprised he has not been scooped up by a top 25 P5 program.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:12 pm

I will never complain about a RB running in for a go ahead TD with a minute left in the game. You take the points if you can get them. That put huge pressure on other team.

We had held their offense on previous two series. We gave up a big return and their players made BIG plays to score the tying TD. Nobody blew anything in that game coaches or players. I can’t believe folks are even considering second guessing anything in the second half of that game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:12 pm
I will never complain about a RB running in for a go ahead TD with a minute left in the game. You take the points if you can get them. That put huge pressure on other team.

We had held their offense on previous two series. We gave up a big return and their players made BIG plays to score the tying TD. Nobody blew anything in that game coaches or players. I can’t believe folks are even considering second guessing anything in the second half of that game.
I second guessed immediately while it was going on. It feels great to score a TD but sometimes milking the clock is better. We left way too much time on the clock.

Look at the last drive by Penn State in regulation where we did an all out blitz. You think that can't be second guessed? Right when we did it I said we better sack him or hope he gets flustered and over throws it.

Scott has made several mistakes with clock management over the years. I have always said that when it comes to evaluating players, culture, how he handles the day to day, coach hirings, etc that Scott was great but when it comes to clock management, playcalling, strategy, and being conservative too early in games I believe Scott was just an average coach. Those are all things he could improve on. If Scott improves in those areas he could be the 2nd best coach in the ACC. Every coach has a weakness and I know some on here don't want to hear it but Scott had some. If he was perfect or if anyone was perfect they would be undefeated.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:59 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

I second guessed immediately while it was going on. It feels great to score a TD but sometimes milking the clock is better. We left way too much time on the clock.

Look at the last drive by Penn State in regulation where we did an all out blitz. You think that can't be second guessed? Right when we did it I said we better sack him or hope he gets flustered and over throws it.

Scott has made several mistakes with clock management over the years. I have always said that when it comes to evaluating players, culture, how he handles the day to day, coach hirings, etc that Scott was great but when it comes to clock management, playcalling, strategy, and being conservative too early in games I believe Scott was just an average coach. Those are all things he could improve on. If Scott improves in those areas he could be the 2nd best coach in the ACC. Every coach has a weakness and I know some on here don't want to hear it but Scott had some. If he was perfect or if anyone was perfect they would be undefeated.
You don't take points off the board. You score when you have a chance to score. A made FG wasn't guaranteed and you certainly don't play thinking that they are going to get a long return of the kickoff.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:32 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:59 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

You don't take points off the board. You score when you have a chance to score. A made FG wasn't guaranteed and you certainly don't play thinking that they are going to get a long return of the kickoff.
I usually feel that exact same way but the game was tied. Worst case you miss and go to overtime. If we could not hit a field goal inside the 20-yard line we don't deserve to win that game anyway.

There were two things I feared when we scored and that is a long return because we probably thought for a second the game was over and the second was giving McSorley too much time.

As much as you say don't take points off the board you equally, or even more so, don't give a guy like McSorley more than a minute to score when you play at their place in a hostile environment. I did not want to go to overtime and the minute we did I feared we lose the game. Any brilliant coach will tell you that when you are on the road in a hostile environment your number one fear is scoring too early to give the home team a chance to go down and win or tie. Scott definitely did not think we would score that early. The problem our staff made after the score was that they got too aggressive on defensive calls once Penn State had the long return. We should have let them do the dink and dunk throws 3-6 yards at a time and made them milk clock. Instead, we did an all out blitz.

The good news is that we should expect better clock management and more aggressive offensive playcalling in 2019. I have not seen one bad thing from Drink so far and expect a big 2019.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 pm

I can't believe we are still debating this scenario. The problem was that we allowed a big KO return.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 pm
I can't believe we are still debating this scenario. The problem was that we allowed a big KO return.
Talking in circles...
Give 'em hell!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 pm

Clock management is one of the most difficult things to do because you never know what is going to happen ahead. Even the NFL coaches have trouble moreso than not. Of course, it's easy if you are an expert sitting behind a mic in a booth or on the couch at home. But down there on the sideline it is difficult.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 am

Xbox has created a lot of "expert" couch Coaches. LMAO!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”