Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Zac Thomas voted best QB in SBC for 2019

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Zac Thomas voted best QB in SBC for 2019

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:15 pm

I want Baldwin to develop into a Stud QB too. Hopefully he will and time will tell. Both Huesman and Derrick have good skills. Both had an opportunity in a big time game with big time pressure to show what they could do with live fire and it didn’t fare so well. Maybe they can improve in the future but usually you either have IT or you don’t. I don’t know what the future holds for Baldwin but it looks like he has a high ceiling. We do need to get him plenty of in game experience. I think Drink will keep the pedal down more than Satt which may provide more opps for the backup QBs to get more snaps.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:15 pm
I want Baldwin to develop into a Stud QB too. Hopefully he will and time will tell. Both Huesman and Derrick have good skills. Both had an opportunity in a big time game with big time pressure to show what they could do with live fire and it didn’t fare so well. Maybe they can improve in the future but usually you either have IT or you don’t. I don’t know what the future holds for Baldwin but it looks like he has a high ceiling. We do need to get him plenty of in game experience. I think Drink will keep the pedal down more than Satt which may provide more opps for the backup QBs to get more snaps.
Derrick got hit by a perfect storm (in a bad way) at GS. Zero prep time and the team around him started blowing up with penalties that put him repeatedly in a hole. Plenty of good players get caught in a spiral. I seem to remember a young QB in 1993 who had to start on a few days notice because of Andy Arnold broke his collar bone. That game was ugly and we got throttled by NCA&T. That QB, names Scott Satterfield, had a pretty good career at Appalachian including a win over Wake Forest while playing with 17 stitches in his playing hand. Just saying....one game doesn't tell us much.

Huesman looked decent at the end of that GS game and did fine against CCU. He didn't dazzle, but he did what was asked.

We are blessed at the QB position. Baldwin is exciting and if he lives up to the billing, the reality is that we might not hold onto Derrick and/or Huesman. I'm not sure if either would consider a different position or if they have the skills.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Derrick got hit by a perfect storm (in a bad way) at GS. Zero prep time and the team around him started blowing up with penalties that put him repeatedly in a hole. Plenty of good players get caught in a spiral. I seem to remember a young QB in 1993 who had to start on a few days notice because of Andy Arnold broke his collar bone. That game was ugly and we got throttled by NCA&T. That QB, names Scott Satterfield, had a pretty good career at Appalachian including a win over Wake Forest while playing with 17 stitches in his playing hand. Just saying....one game doesn't tell us much.

Huesman looked decent at the end of that GS game and did fine against CCU. He didn't dazzle, but he did what was asked.

We are blessed at the QB position. Baldwin is exciting and if he lives up to the billing, the reality is that we might not hold onto Derrick and/or Huesman. I'm not sure if either would consider a different position or if they have the skills.
I agree and don't forget about that awesome crucial pass completion by Derrick up at Penn State. Still can't believe he stepped in totally cold and made that beautiful pass that picked up a huge big-gainer first down.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Yosef's Cabin:

Brought to you by Centrum Silver.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:16 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:27 pm
Yosef's Cabin:

Brought to you by Centrum Silver.
Funny man. I resemble that remark! :lol:

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:43 pm

My attention span isn’t great enough to keep up with this thread.

AEB4AE

Unread post by AEB4AE » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:03 pm

love Thomas but a little hyperbole to compare his athleticism to Edwards!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm

AEB4AE wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:03 pm
AE was/is a great athlete, but does he put up those numbers against the competition that ZT faces today? Furthermore, not knowing what we know, would AE be offered a scholly at QB today?
Last edited by AppSt94 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am

I think AE would totally befuddle the Sunbelt we compete against. Just my opinion, of course, but my main concern would be whether he could take the hits week after week in a bigger / faster league. I imagine his style would adapt since he was an excellent passer as well.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:08 pm

AE would torch the 'Belt.

boonedocks

Unread post by boonedocks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:08 pm
AE would torch the 'Belt.
x1000

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:46 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 pm
Zac was the best in the SBC in 2018 and it was not close. Hansen was just a senior with a name. He was not half the QB Zac is. Every time he played a P5 he got his butt handed to him but Zac can handle those teams well.
Sawyer Smith was likely the best SBC QB and should be for 2019. App was lucky to not have to face him in the SBC Championship Game.

I'd implore you all to take a gander at the highlight tape of David Baldwin who just committed to App as well. A kid with an arm (50 yard throw, slightly short of his receiver, off of his back foot), solid decision making, decent feet, and high school competition that would have him ready to compete in the Summer and Fall. This kid is different from Brown (who I never endorsed to start except in the case of Thomas going down because the alternative wasn't an attractive option) in that he played at IMG in Florida and in Los Angeles (Compton). Brown played in Kernersville where he was the biggest and most athletic kid on the field by default.

Watch the Tape
Smith is very good and the only QB in the SBC who is close but I'll take Thomas.

I was loving the Brown commit only because he is a big, athletic guy who is from NC and felt he would at least be a TE for us. Nobody saw him and thought he was a refined passer. It was going to be a project with a high ceiling. I considered him boom or bust and he was a bust, which is okay. You never turn down a 6'3-6'6 athlete who can run.

I really like this guy much better as far as a QB goes. Can throw on the run, has solid mechanics, strong arm, and size. I want him to redshirt but he should be the replacement for Thomas and I would love to see him play 4 games this year. Hopefully we get up by 35 by halftime on ETSU and Baldwin can play 3-4 drives in the 2nd half to see what he has and then play him when we are up by more than 30 a few times this fall.
You're kidding right. He has some correctable flaws in his mechanics. Some that should be quite obvious to someone who knows what they are talking about.
Solid didn't mean he was flawless. The good thing is that he seems to realize that. He has hard work ingrained in him from the area he grew up in and his parents desire to keep him out of those things. Again, I'm just telling you what I see on film. He reads the entire field, through his progressions, has a nice drop back, managed quite a few timing throws, makes pre-snap reads of the defense to identify one on one match-ups, and shows decent pocket presence for his age.

Drink is going to be running an offense likely more similar to what he saw at IMG including pro concepts where pre snap reads and route progressions are required. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in and makes a splash immediately. I for one am not sure why this would be a bad thing because he is an App quarterback.

We've seen a few scenarios the past decade of so where a freshman comes in and steals the job away from a proven, talented player. Don't be surprised if it happens again.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm
AEB4AE wrote:
AE was/is a great athlete, but does he put up those numbers against the competition that ZT faces today? Furthermore, not knowing what we know, would AE be offered a scholly at QB today?
Edwards was a generational QB for App. Two national championships, beat Michigan, played on a team, though he didn't play in the game, who almost beat the C-USA champions in 2009. If Armanti had played in that game App would've won. Yes, AE would put up similar numbers in 2018 and 2019 as he did in the FCS. Maybe not exactly the same but in all likelihood App wouldve been in a similar position in 2007 in the Sun Belt as they are now.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
The thing is that no one knows how the QB situation pans out with tla new offense. Zach has the propensity to take a snap and lock on to his one read. He won't be able to do that and operate the offense Drink will be installing. The positive in this is a later spring practice and hopefully more time in the play book before the pads come on in March, giving more time for playing fast as Spring moves on.

However, I'm not certain that Drink plans on having a settled QB depth chart. Jalen Hurts was 26-2 as a starter and Tua came in and never relinquished the job. Armanti and Trey, Taylor and Kam. It happens and a new QB/OC/ Head Coach isn't going to have any prior experience with Zach. My guess is he plays it initially as an open competition. Fall practices will tell us more but I'd expect Baldwin will be running through his playbook in the Spring and Summer (assuming he gets one) prior to reporting. Plenty of videos on the interwebs of him to show his character if you have the time.

Either way, App will be in a much better position no matter who the starter is in 2019 than they were in Statesboro in 2018. Unless Fehr goes down. Not sure how but App has become a LB U of sorts.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am

Paul Hamilton and Steve Brown.

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:46 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Zac was the best in the SBC in 2018 and it was not close. Hansen was just a senior with a name. He was not half the QB Zac is. Every time he played a P5 he got his butt handed to him but Zac can handle those teams well.
Sawyer Smith was likely the best SBC QB and should be for 2019. App was lucky to not have to face him in the SBC Championship Game.

I'd implore you all to take a gander at the highlight tape of David Baldwin who just committed to App as well. A kid with an arm (50 yard throw, slightly short of his receiver, off of his back foot), solid decision making, decent feet, and high school competition that would have him ready to compete in the Summer and Fall. This kid is different from Brown (who I never endorsed to start except in the case of Thomas going down because the alternative wasn't an attractive option) in that he played at IMG in Florida and in Los Angeles (Compton). Brown played in Kernersville where he was the biggest and most athletic kid on the field by default.

Watch the Tape
Smith is very good and the only QB in the SBC who is close but I'll take Thomas.

I was loving the Brown commit only because he is a big, athletic guy who is from NC and felt he would at least be a TE for us. Nobody saw him and thought he was a refined passer. It was going to be a project with a high ceiling. I considered him boom or bust and he was a bust, which is okay. You never turn down a 6'3-6'6 athlete who can run.

I really like this guy much better as far as a QB goes. Can throw on the run, has solid mechanics, strong arm, and size. I want him to redshirt but he should be the replacement for Thomas and I would love to see him play 4 games this year. Hopefully we get up by 35 by halftime on ETSU and Baldwin can play 3-4 drives in the 2nd half to see what he has and then play him when we are up by more than 30 a few times this fall.
You're kidding right. He has some correctable flaws in his mechanics. Some that should be quite obvious to someone who knows what they are talking about.
Solid didn't mean he was flawless. The good thing is that he seems to realize that. He has hard work ingrained in him from the area he grew up in and his parents desire to keep him out of those things. Again, I'm just telling you what I see on film. He reads the entire field, through his progressions, has a nice drop back, managed quite a few timing throws, makes pre-snap reads of the defense to identify one on one match-ups, and shows decent pocket presence for his age.

Drink is going to be running an offense likely more similar to what he saw at IMG including pro concepts where pre snap reads and route progressions are required. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in and makes a splash immediately. I for one am not sure why this would be a bad thing because he is an App quarterback.

We've seen a few scenarios the past decade of so where a freshman comes in and steals the job away from a proven, talented player. Don't be surprised if it happens again.
There's a difference between a proven, talented player at a skill position or on the o line losing his spot based year to year.

But we're talking about the quarterback of our football team who was the sunbelt OPOY last year despite missing three or so conference games. I love that we got Baldwin and would definitely expect him to see the field this year early when we're up big on teams, but the fact that some people think he's taking Zac's job is ridiculous.

Of course, Drink will advertise this as "every position is earned" and no one has a job set in stone until close to our first game, but Baldwin is not unseating Zac unless he somehow forget how to throw a football. Just my two cents.
Last edited by TomA415 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am
Paul Hamilton and Steve Brown.
We all know Steve Brown can thank Rick Beasley for his successful career at App.. :lol: :lol:..just kidding of course.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am

TomA415 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Watch the Tape

There's a difference between a proven, talented player at a skill position or on the o line losing his spot based year to year.

But we're talking about the quarterback of our football team who was the sunbelt OPOY last year despite missing three or so conference games. I love that we got Baldwin and would definitely expect him to see the field this year early when we're up big on teams, but the fact that some people think he's taking Zac's job is ridiculous.

Of course, Drink will advertise this as "every position is earned" and no one has a job set in stone until close to our first game, but Baldwin is not unseating Zac unless he somehow forget how to throw a football. Just my two cents.
Obviously Drink will probably use “coach speak” like most do in order to insure that every player stays focused and competes daily but do you think Dabo remotely expects Lawrence to get unseated at Clemson? I realize the comparisons are not equal and I agree with you. We are not bringing in 5 star level QB’s who chose us over big time programs and can unseat a guy like ZT just like that. It amazes me how many guys on this board want to change QB’s as if some magical transformation will occur and it will get us to some other level.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:43 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm
AEB4AE wrote:
Edwards was a generational QB for App. Two national championships, beat Michigan, played on a team, though he didn't play in the game, who almost beat the C-USA champions in 2009. If Armanti had played in that game App would've won. Yes, AE would put up similar numbers in 2018 and 2019 as he did in the FCS. Maybe not exactly the same but in all likelihood App wouldve been in a similar position in 2007 in the Sun Belt as they are now.
You completely missed my point. I said not knowing what we know, would he even get a scholarship to play QB? He is woefully undersized to what we are recruiting now. And remember, he wasn’t being recruited my many teams, if any, to play QB then.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:00 pm

ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Watch the Tape

The more you talk about game film, the more I realize how much more you think you know than you actually do. I admire your enthusiasm, but you are not paying attention to the one thing that is a glaring deficiency and that is his footwork and positioning. He will get it fixed, but it won’t happen overnight or probably not in a season. His highlights looked good but not great. He is not Tua. If he was, he wouldn’t be coming here. Keep in mind, for every throw you saw him complete, there was a throw that he missed on. That’s what it means to be a 50% passer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”