Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another one bites the dust

Apptrain
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another one bites the dust

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:41 pm

There is a lot to be said for contentment, IMO. I quit constantly looking for the bigger, better position some years ago and am the happiest I’ve ever been. I live within my means and it works for me. It took me until my 40’s to figure that out so I guess it’s to be expected from younger folks. Good luck to him. Whatever floats his boat.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Go hire a young former alum and have him coach the running backs.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:57 pm

While I have always liked hiring alums as coaches, I have to admit that I am much happier with the significant experience that Drink has brought into the program. It doesn't bother me that we now have coaches being coveted by larger P5 and NFL teams, just means that Drink is knocking it out of the park with his hires. Yes, it is frustrating to lose the coaches so quickly, but I can't fault anyone for a step up and a pay raise. A lot of people want to complain about it but everyone has to remember that in the coaching profession, it is strike while the iron is hot or get left behind. It's more of the mentality of that particular profession than it is the individual coach. Just look at Dorsey himself, he was out of coaching for some time simply because the head coach went in another direction. Can't blame him at all for going back to the NFL, who knows if the chance comes again if he turned it down.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:10 pm
ApexASU wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 pm
How do we teach our youth COMMITMENT when the adults who are their mentors don’t know how to honor their own COMMITMENT?
Unfortunately, in today's world, that ship has sailed. It's all about living in the moment. (Can't say I agree with it, but it's reality)
Unfortunately, that is very true. Our society no longer rewards commitment. Marriages are temporary and the workplace no longer rewards commitment in either direction. Employers have no commitment to employees and the only way employees can "get ahead" is by changing jobs because once hired, most employers get that "bird in the hand" syndrome. It's not a good thing for anyone but it's the reality we live in today.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:06 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 am
WASU 93 wrote:
ApexASU wrote:
How do we teach our youth COMMITMENT when the adults who are their mentors don’t know how to honor their own COMMITMENT?
Unfortunately, in today's world, that ship has sailed. It's all about living in the moment. (Can't say I agree with it, but it's reality)
Unfortunately, that is very true. Our society no longer rewards commitment. Marriages are temporary and the workplace no longer rewards commitment in either direction. Employers have no commitment to employees and the only way employees can "get ahead" is by changing jobs because once hired, most employers get that "bird in the hand" syndrome. It's not a good thing for anyone but it's the reality we live in today.
Nailed it 84

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:48 am

personally, I would like to know that a coach would not be there before I signed. This would allow me to make an informed decision. This would also allow me to not be bitter and cause problems for the team because I felt bamboozled. Any group needs to have people in it that want to be part of that group. Who knows what is going to happen, the next coach might even be better or a better fit. Who knows Ken Dorsey may come back one day and be even better because of his experience at Buffalo and I do believe that Josh Allen could use the help that Ken Dorsey will provide.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
ApexASU wrote:
Why am I just now finding out about this?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:38 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:00 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
ApexASU wrote:
Why am I just now finding out about this?
I suspect that you are either jesting, or extremely blessed and should include that gratitude in your prayers tonight. :-)

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:55 pm

I hope his ass freezes solid up there and falls off.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:29 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
ApexASU wrote:
Does anyone realize as of last month he WAS a state employee!!!!!!! With a contract.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:48 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
ApexASU wrote:
Does anyone realize as of last month he WAS a state employee!!!!!!! With a contract.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm
Hey 88, I bet you remember the Furman football "dynasty" in the SoCon (1985-2005). During those days, their program essentially hired only Furman insiders or the cronies of insiders and for 20 or so years--won seven conference championships and one D-IA Natty. That strategy eventually lead to "inbred" leadership and a void of new ideas.

The 'Dins have never really ditched that hiring philosophy and even today their staff is 90% buttoned-down, Brooks Brothers Furmies (including head coach Clay Hendrix) or cronies of same. IMO, that's the foundation of the general decline of their football success w/just one SoCon title since 2004. Apparently, they are content to win just enough to get in the playoffs and survive a game or two every year or two. It's the Furman way.

App aspires to significantly higher levels of success. We'll benefit from an influx of coaches from other programs bringing in new ideas.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 am

asu66 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm
Hey 88, I bet you remember the Furman football "dynasty" in the SoCon (1985-2005). During those days, their program essentially hired only Furman insiders or the cronies of insiders and for 20 or so years--won seven conference championships and one D-IA Natty. That strategy eventually lead to "inbred" leadership and a void of new ideas.

The 'Dins have never really ditched that hiring philosophy and even today their staff is 90% buttoned-down, Brooks Brothers Furmies (including head coach Clay Hendrix) or cronies of same. IMO, that's the foundation of the general decline of their football success w/just one SoCon title since 2004. Apparently, they are content to win just enough to get in the playoffs and survive a game or two every year or two. It's the Furman way.

App aspires to significantly higher levels of success. We'll benefit from an influx of coaches from other programs bringing in new ideas.
Understand 66. I don’t want to be furple either.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”