Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

A look at App State football's recruiting class of 2019

87ASUgrad
School: Appalachian State

A look at App State football's recruiting class of 2019

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:35 am

Ethan Joyce has a good article in The Winston-Salem Journal that lists/briefs all 18 of the App State Football 2019 signees - "A look at App State football's recruiting class of 2019."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... de.html#16

Beat ETSU!!
Give Em Hell!!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Re: A look at App State football's recruiting class of 2019

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 am

I liked this quote from Drinkwitz:
“Luke is a young man who will fit into our 3-4 scheme and will play the nose. He is a fit for Appalachian State.”

but but but...the 4-3 and stuff!!!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 am
“Luke is a young man who will fit into our 3-4 scheme and will play the nose. He is a fit for Appalachian State.”

To be fair, Roof said that there would be 4-3 looks. Whether that just means a 4 man front with an OLB remains to be seen.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:47 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 pm

To be fair, Roof said that there would be 4-3 looks. Whether that just means a 4 man front with an OLB remains to be seen.
Yes he has and I think we've always had that in our arsenal although we have seen it much less in recent years than we did in the first couple of years after Woody came to Boone. I believe the "joke" is in reference to a few high profile individuals who seem to insist that we would see major shift in our scheme favoring the 4-3. Everyone wants to analyze and theorize despite what is said by the coaches themselves.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 am

Don’t care what scheme as long as we stop the run and pass.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Looks like they have done a better than normal snagging recruits this year. Winning helps. Hope it continues

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 pm

yikas1 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 am
Understand you just want them to play well. Since 2013, we have recruited a fast, I mean fast 3-4 Defense. We have gone for P5 speed, sure tacklers but, under sized players. It works at our level. Running something else will yield less than optimal results. What I like most is how aggressive we are and how we run to the ball.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 pm
yikas1 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 am
Understand you just want them to play well. Since 2013, we have recruited a fast, I mean fast 3-4 Defense. We have gone for P5 speed, sure tacklers but, under sized players. It works at our level. Running something else will yield less than optimal results. What I like most is how aggressive we are and how we run to the ball.
If App manages to get into the Top 25 and stay there this season you will see recruiting pick up to the point where App is getting mid-level like P5 players with the size, speed, and ability often seen, similar to Baldwin and two other late period signees. How they pan out remains to be seen but those three dudes easily couldve been on and contributed at some point to a mid-level P5 school.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:47 am
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Yes he has and I think we've always had that in our arsenal although we have seen it much less in recent years than we did in the first couple of years after Woody came to Boone. I believe the "joke" is in reference to a few high profile individuals who seem to insist that we would see major shift in our scheme favoring the 4-3. Everyone wants to analyze and theorize despite what is said by the coaches themselves.
I went back and watched the Wake Forest game and another opponent last night. App ran a lot of 4-2-5 looks even under Woody. I'm not a play design efficiando enough to know what the es-4 variant of this is called but there were 3 down lineman, a standing outside linebacker, two inside guys, one Outside Linebacker covering the nickel I guess as a punch and get in the flat to protect the against the run person.

I doubt you'll see much difference though. The 3-4 gives flexibility in play calling if your players have the ability to play multiple alignments, which Apps guys obviously do. The question will be if the coaching staff trusts them enough to run those same types of plays. It isn't often you see an OLB of Stringer's size in a 3-4 defense but it makes sense when you see the alignments App was using. Hopefully Roof isn't planning on reverting to a traditional size for that position to maintain the unpredictability having a guy like Stringer or Gilchrist affords you.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:47 pm

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:04 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:47 pm
Recruiting ranking scam

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/c ... ssion=true
This is just another example of what I've been saying for years about the star system and how anyone under the 4 & 5 star guys, who most at least get some looks at regional and national camps by paid analysts, can get just about any listing depending on who you know. Rivals got it worse than 24/7 IMO because they actually threw a rating on "the recruit" but every profile on 24/7 has to be first built by someone. After that, as offers are reported, then people at school sites that are manned sites, like we have here with Mania, then add their offer to the profile. I build a lot of profiles for our reported offers, but with those and even the already built ones, I always double check the info. Not exactly looking for a fake but more looking to see if the info listed is correct and updating things like unlisted offers and seeing if their shown highlights are actually the latest ones. A BIG red flag for me would have been no highlight package and I would have checked several sites (I usually use at least 4 other sites that aren't the ones listed) to back check info.

Two things I want to share. One is a post I put on 24/7 about some of our decommits and what happened to them after they flipped. And the other is that we actually had a fake offer show up this past year. Even had a hudl package linked to the twitter account. But since I watch at least some of every film package for every offer I spotted the fake after just a few seconds and not only had the profile that some idiot had built removed but also had the twitter account revoked. And let the other schools sites that were showing an offer know it was a joke account.

Below is the post about Conley, Tunall, and Nelson. It was in response to a question asked about what happened to their rankings after they flipped from us.

Conley has moved the least, up about 200 places in the overall national rankings. And his star rating went up about a point. Nelson moved up 672 spots the day he flipped and has since moved up around 1000 places nationally. His star rating has gone up about 3. Tunall started slightly higher than Nelson and has moved pretty close to the same in numbers. Tunall is now nearly a mid 3 in composite and a 89 (one point from a 4 star) from 24/7, and Nelson is just below that in both composite and 24/7 rating (87). The only thing holding them from being higher rated in the composite is the other sites ratings are lower than 24/7's own rating.

Keep in mind all of these took place after playing was done. Nothing has changed about the players. The only thing that changed was the move to a P5 school. And we all know what the now 4 star DJ Williams did. Just another example of why I feel the way I do about the star ratings. One thing to watch is to see if Baldwin or Anderson drop any now that they have committed to App. Wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Our success relative to our “recruit ranking” speaks loudly here.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am

Grady Davis just got a commitment from OL Blake Carringer to UNCC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”