Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Jalin Moore invited to Combine

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: Jalin Moore invited to Combine

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 am
He has a brother ?
Who is Clayton Duck?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Team mate of Jason Moore, see the thread above.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm

One of our best players since Armani Edward.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Jalin off to a good start, finishing #2 in Bench with 27 reps.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 pm

However I'm hearing from a couple of places that Jalin will not be participating in the drills day tomorrow but will instead do the full drill workout at App's Pro Day on March 28th. If true then it will hurt him some since he won't be showcasing in front of everyone but if he's not 100% then it won't do much good to put up numbers that will hurt his position. Better to take the extra month and hope to put up good numbers then.

He at least got to go through the interview process and showed strong in the bench.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Bench press 225 lbs. 27 times is beast mode for a RB.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 pm

It was a gnarly injury..... I am amazed he even has a chance to recover to a level of anything athletic. That young man had a foot damn near ripped off, what..... maybe 6 months ago max? Jalin is resilient, and part of the 21% of App products that aren't idiots.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:00 am

I'm not too worried about his stock dropping. WR Corey Davis from Western Michigan couldn't participate in any of the Combine drills for the same reason; ankle injury. Still drafted in the 1st round.

What's good is the Jets gave him an official visit at the Combine. What's bad is it was only the Jets, so let's hope a few more visit him on Pro Day & he shows what he's really made of:

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByCollege

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:55 pm

If there is not long term damage he won't fall at all. There are many cases of players having an ACL injury and they still get drafted where they were expected and Jalin did not quite have that. If this was 1990 I would say he may fall but in 2019 what Jalin had is not as big of a deal long term as long as you have surgery and rehab it.

My guess is that they ask him to go back for a re-check just before the draft and those test results will decide whether he gets drafted or falls because of this or if he looks bad at pro day when he says he is 100%. I wish him the best.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:23 pm

I guess I should have spelled it out more clearly but I didn't mention anything about falling from where he's been "ranked" leading up to the Combine. Since I said in the previous post that he was off to a good start with the bench I was talking about him improving his current position with a continued good showing in the drills, not falling. That's what the Combine is all about for guys like Jalin. Projected upper round picks can mess up their chances and positions with a bad showing but guys that are already rated a later round pick or UDFA can jump up some boards with a good showing. Next time I'll be more clear.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:53 am

What exactly can a running back really show on a pro day to change his stock? A QB can show his arm strength and some footwork abilities and receiver his speed and catching abilities but a back can’t exactly show speed to get around a corner, break tackles or pound the ball between tackles. In my opinion it comes down more to film, passing a physical, etc. How many yards did Jalin get in the tougher games? He is legit.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:53 am
What exactly can a running back really show on a pro day to change his stock? A QB can show his arm strength and some footwork abilities and receiver his speed and catching abilities but a back can’t exactly show speed to get around a corner, break tackles or pound the ball between tackles. In my opinion it comes down more to film, passing a physical, etc. How many yards did Jalin get in the tougher games? He is legit.
RBs can show strength, speed, agility, explosiveness...all the things that the "measurables" are supposed to capture. That said, I think the NFL puts too much stock on measurables sometimes and not enough on reviewing on-field experience, especially for G5 athletes. I can't really disagree with your comments because of that. The good scouts dig deeper.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:29 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
RBs can show strength, speed, agility, explosiveness...all the things that the "measurables" are supposed to capture. That said, I think the NFL puts too much stock on measurables sometimes and not enough on reviewing on-field experience, especially for G5 athletes. I can't really disagree with your comments because of that. The good scouts dig deeper.
Exactly. Lots of guys are combine and Pro day superstars. Fewer have “it”. Hopefully Jalin has “it” for the next level. Not to compare or disparage another App guy but I think Jalin has better measurables than Cadet and he has done ok for himself in the Pros- not a starter and has bounced around but has made a decent living for himself.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:22 am

I agree they put too much emphasis on them. However Whether those things translate on the field are irrelevant to them mattering to NFL teams who draft using them. The pro day is extremely important and can increase ones stock significantly.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:58 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
One big thing is that if a scout has not seen a player do something on tape they can have them do it so they can see how athletic he is doing that very thing. For example, if a RB had no catches in college or less than 5 in his career you can have him do a ton of routes and catch 20 or so balls in one day to see how he does with that part of his game. Maybe a tight end who is a blocker only in college will go through some pass catching drills to see how he looks at that and so on.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:03 am

My prediction is teams interested in Moore are going to watch a lot of game tape, especially on significant games ('15 Camellia, '16 & '17 Dollar General, '18 Penn State) and ones he was VERY involved ('15 Idaho, '17 GA State). Then observe on Pro Day his mobility, quickness & see how well he's recovered. They also might have him run routes & see how well he can catch. He had a really good game vs. Penn State as a receiver.

RBs now do just about everything; run, receive, block, return, even throw TDs.

Not just break tackles or run TDs anymore.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 am

If I were a scout, I'd be amazed by the TD against ASU when he broke his ankle. The effort and focus he showed on that play to get the ball into the end zone despite his injury tells a lot about what he's made of. The only question after that is how his recovery is coming along.

I'm proud to have had Jalin Moore representing my alma mater wearing the Black & Gold. Wishing him all the best in his pursuit of an NFL career. I'm a believer!

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Does anyone know how he did overall in the combine?

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Capt. Ed wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:54 pm
Does anyone know how he did overall in the combine?
He only benched (2nd overall for RB's) and interviewed. Saving the rest for his pro day when, I'm assuming, he's feeling even better and 100%.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

jjapp2013

Unread post by jjapp2013 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:40 am

According to the WSJ he is healthy. Just did not have the time to prep for drills like he wanted to

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... 505af.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”