Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2019 would you rather

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2019 would you rather

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:46 pm
Let's say we go 10-2:

Would you rather loose the games against UNC and USC but run the table in the SunBelt

Or

Beat the Carolinas and loose two conference games (and not play for the title)?
The fact we have people who are saying lose the Carolinas games and win the SBC is better shock me with how little they understand college football and how you move up.

Do you guys saying this forget what beating Michigan did for us? Winning the 3 FCS titles helped us in recruiting against FCS programs but Michigan put us on a national stage. I would have gladly sacrificed the FCS title that year to beat Michigan.

This is the same thing. Nobody cares who wins the SBC but if we beat 2 P5 programs in one year, especially one of them being from the SEC, it is breaking ground that we have not been able to claim. We have yet to beat a P5 since moving up and I want to end this drought.

Someone asked how beating them helps us more than the other? Do you think any 4-star recruits will give us a stronger look if we beat Lafayette and Georgia Southern again or if we beat the SEC and ACC? We really need some P5 wins to take that next step as a program.

With that said, I want to win them all. The talent is there and anyone on here who is saying we should go 8-4 or 9-3 is insane. That is not the expectation and it should not be. 9-3 or 8-4 would be a failure of a season.

Look at the talent we have.

Offense- We have arguably the best QB in the SBC and by far the best RB stable in the league. Evans is a beast and then Williams is a heck of a player while Peoples showed in the bowl game that he is a monster who has SEC talent. Up front on the OL we have 4 starters back and 2 of them are likely to be 1st team All-SBC. LT Victor Johnson, like Evans, are probably going to play in the NFL for a while. Noah Hannon is the best center in the SBC and it is not even close. We only lost 1 starter on offense with it being the RT but I expect his replacement to be better. This offense should be the best we have ever had. If Drink does not get 35-40 points every week out of this group I will be disappointed. At WR we have a beast in Corey Sutton. He is a big, strong, fast target who can make any play you ask him to. He, like those other two mentioned, is a definite NFL player. At TE we have 2 All-SBC players and one of them, Pearson, is a freak. Reed is a very sound player who can catch and block while Pearson is a bigger, faster version of Reed who is a little bit better at both.

The only major nitpicks I have on this group is the fact our OL is not averaging 300 yet but they are close. We need someone else to step up at WR to take some focus off Sutton so he won't be double and triple teamed regularly. The backup QBs need to be ready because we can't see the offense fall apart like we did against GSU last year. We also need to be more consistent as we did sputter at times and were shut down for a quarter here and there in 2018 but if they can just take that next step we will be scary good on offense.

In closing though we have so much speed and depth in some areas that I think we should give an SEC and ACC defense some fits. We have enough speed to make UNC and SC think they are facing a P5 caliber offense.

Defense- We are not quite as stacked here in terms of we do have some questions but we also have some studs returning that should help that. Fehr and Gaither at LB are the best duo in the league. Noel Cook also showed to be a star as well. Same can be said for Thomas and Franklin at safety. The DL should be solid as Earle by all accounts is going to be a star and we return the DEs with a lot of speed.

The issues here are we do lose both corners but Jean-Charles, Jones, Jolly, and some of the guys we just signed will make for a fast, talented group of replacements to choose from. We do need a couple of those young LBs (Cobb, Doublin, Bird, etc) who played last year to take that next step like Fehr did for us in 2018. We have a couple candidates who could easily do that. We are still undersized up front on the DL but could make up for it with our speed and the fact that we have several bodies who can play.

Special Teams- Howell is a great punter who is still young but has a bright future. Staton showed he can be a good one and did so in a way that he sent a player who once started out of the program. We also signed some good return candidates as well as return Evans and have others on the team who can as well.

If you look at the All-SBC teams and our depth chart we return a lot of talent and have more returning All-SBC players than anyone else. The fact we have folks willing to accept 8-9 wins is beyond me. This team has the talent, and I believe coaching, that we should sweep the SBC and beat UNC with the SC game being 50/50. I honestly think our toughest game should be South Carolina with Troy being a close second because they return a lot of talent and should win double digit games as well. Troy is another team to keep an eye on because they play Missouri on the road and I would say they could make that very close. They should also expect 10 wins in the regular season. I'm sure they would be happy to split with us and GSU and a loss to Missouri as their only losses.

Could we lose 3-4 games? It is possible but it is not acceptable because that would likely mean we don't win the division or SBC title and then we probably are swept by the P5s. Troy is going to be so good that I don't expect a loss in the SBC will allow us to win the East again.

The Penn State game being much closer along with the fact the SBC West being down made me feel that our chances are much strong. We should only have two real threats in the SBC to challenge us and we showed that we have some electric talent that truly belongs in the P5. I have high expectations on this team for the first time and not just because of the talent but look at the experience of the new coaches. We also have a coach from South Carolina so we now have their playbook. I will be very disappointed if we don't have a historic season in Boone.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:20 pm

GregPercussion wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:16 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm
I'd clearly trade one loss to a western SBC team for those two wins as we'd still get to play for the SBC title.

Two losses is a great question, I'd give a slight lean to going undefeated in OOC and then kick myself in early December for putting a hex on the season.

I'd take 10-2 with one OOC and one western conference loss right now though if offered.
Some of y'all adding some extra "options" and scenarios to the original question.
It's either 2 Carolina wins and not play for the SunBelt title or lose and play for title.

I see both sides and could be swayed.
I believe beating both Carolina's with be greatly beneficial to our program as far as attention, rankings, money, recruiting, respect, etc. What good is it when we cant compete against "our peers" in our own conference? Earning those rings and trophies is a big deal for these guys. Bragging rights for a season at thanksgiving is nice, but hardware and titles are forever.
I will take the Championships over the wins. Beating mediocre P5 isn't going to help recruiting unless you run the table and play in a NY6. If that isn't up for discussion then what's the point and you can't be in the talk if you don't win your conference.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:13 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 pm
Usually I’d say win the conference, but in this case, the latter. It would do so much for us recruiting-wise in the two states, and in many other ways.

Plus, my sister went to CHeat, and Thanksgiving dinner would taste sooooo much better. It also could be interpreted that the league is that tough.
Why do you think this?
Really? Before I answered, I had to check your handle to make sure you weren’t on hiatus for the last month. How can you not think this? We have a shot to beat the state flagship in something other than wrestling and I’m having to defend my position? Sorry. I’m not going to argue with irrationality.
I wasn't asking you to defend your position. I was merely trying to gauge what level of impact you expected a win over a P5 state school would actually have on recruiting. I personally don't think that it would have a significant impact, as I doubt kids would choose us over either one if they had committable offers from all parties. I don't think it would have kept Wyatt Tunnell from flipping to Carolina this year and I seriously doubt that any four star on Carolina's wish list is going to say, "thanks, but no thanks, I am going to go to App." Sorry that you found my comment irrational. I was just trying to be respectful to your opinion. My bad. Next time I will come out guns blazing.
Maybe it doesn’t help us directly with CHeat, but maybe it does for a case or two. It definitely can’t hurt. How about it helps with the kid who is choosing between us and ECU, or even UCF/USF?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:20 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:13 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 pm
Usually I’d say win the conference, but in this case, the latter. It would do so much for us recruiting-wise in the two states, and in many other ways.

Plus, my sister went to CHeat, and Thanksgiving dinner would taste sooooo much better. It also could be interpreted that the league is that tough.
Why do you think this?
Really? Before I answered, I had to check your handle to make sure you weren’t on hiatus for the last month. How can you not think this? We have a shot to beat the state flagship in something other than wrestling and I’m having to defend my position? Sorry. I’m not going to argue with irrationality.
I wasn't asking you to defend your position. I was merely trying to gauge what level of impact you expected a win over a P5 state school would actually have on recruiting. I personally don't think that it would have a significant impact, as I doubt kids would choose us over either one if they had committable offers from all parties. I don't think it would have kept Wyatt Tunnell from flipping to Carolina this year and I seriously doubt that any four star on Carolina's wish list is going to say, "thanks, but no thanks, I am going to go to App." Sorry that you found my comment irrational. I was just trying to be respectful to your opinion. My bad. Next time I will come out guns blazing.
Maybe it doesn’t help us directly with CHeat, but maybe it does for a case or two. It definitely can’t hurt. How about it helps with the kid who is choosing between us and ECU, or even UCF/USF?
In my opinion, getting to the NY6 will help in that case more than beating P5s. Win the conference. Championships and rings and playing on New Years Day are more tangible than telling a kid that we beat a P5.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:37 pm

$$$$$$$ Beat the Carolinas $$$$$$$$
I think that will help Yosef donations and ticket sales.
Bring Your A Game!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:38 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm
In my opinion, getting to the NY6 will help in that case more than beating P5s. Win the conference. Championships and rings and playing on New Years Day are more tangible than telling a kid that we beat a P5.
[/quote]
Playing on New Year’s Day is, for sure, but to an in-state recruit, a conference championship only elevates our position by so much over what we did 10 years ago. The P5 programs and ECU, which somehow manages to beat CHeat in their downiest of down years, can still rub our heads and call us Junior Varsity if we don’t take full advantage of what lies ahead. Now, another “if”...had we beaten Tennessee, Wake and Penn State (SEC, ACC, Big Ten scalps), I’d be more willing to weight the conference championship, but we didn’t, and in the situation, like we have coming up, I still take the flagship sweep.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Have to go with the P5 wins. Lord knows it’s time. If Coach could pull off the Carolina sweep, it would be huge, no matter what their records.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm
I thought this was gonna be...”eat a poop flavored popsicle or chocolate flavored poop?”
Watch a video of your grandparents having sex, A Clockword Orange-style, every day for the rest of your life or join in just once?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:26 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:31 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 pm
I can see either side, but for me, take the two P5 wins. Would suck to lose the conference, but nobody outside the Sun Belt cares who wins this league. Biggest disappointment for me would be another trip to Bama instead of NOLA.

Another SBC title would be nice but wouldn't really advance the program beyond where it already is. Sweeping the Carolinas would be breaking new ground.
How so?
We haven’t beaten a P5 team since we moved up, now we’d beat two in one year.

We’ve never beaten UNC. I know we beat South Carolina once a few decades ago, but to my knowledge we’ve never beaten an SEC team.

Win that UNC game and watch fans pack the seats at KBS for the rest of the season and likely beyond. Wins like that make new fans in a way bullying the Sun Belt never will.

Make a statement to all the area P5 fans who say we’re just running up wins against JV competition.

Quite possibly get us in the top 25, conference title or not.

Etc. etc. etc.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:29 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:18 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 pm
Easily beat the Carolinas. Anyone who doesn't say this vastly overestimates the importance of the sunbelt conference.
Fair point. Let me add this caveat. Should we win the P5 games and both teams finish with 7-5/6-6 records. Would that take some of the luster off the wins?
Beating two bowl-eligible P5 teams would qualify as the two most significant wins we’ve had since we moved up IMO.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm

I’d go with the P5 wins. A 10-2 record and a trip to the same old Belt bowl tie ins is nothing new. It would mean that the Belt is pretty good also. We are pretty much at NY6 or bust now. We have won conference titles, a championship game and all the bowl games we have played. Only box not checked is knocking off P5 teams. Also after we beat them we don’t need to be referred to as the little mountain school who shocked the world in 2007. Needs to be expected.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:55 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
Easily beat the Carolinas. Anyone who doesn't say this vastly overestimates the importance of the sunbelt conference.
Fair point. Let me add this caveat. Should we win the P5 games and both teams finish with 7-5/6-6 records. Would that take some of the luster off the wins?
I will caveat that with this: Wouldn't that say a lot about our program if we got swept by P5 regional rivals with a combined .500 record. I'd rather be on the winning end of that than the losing end.
That is a fair point. But if we had beaten Penn State, they would been 8-5. Is a win against an 8-5 P5 team better than a championship?
yes

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:05 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm
I’d go with the P5 wins. A 10-2 record and a trip to the same old Belt bowl tie ins is nothing new. It would mean that the Belt is pretty good also. We are pretty much at NY6 or bust now. We have won conference titles, a championship game and all the bowl games we have played. Only box not checked is knocking off P5 teams. Also after we beat them we don’t need to be referred to as the little mountain school who shocked the world in 2007. Needs to be expected.
But to the original OP. Would you rather win those games and lose two conference games? If you lose two conference games then you quite possibly prevent yourself from getting to the conference championship and no NY6 bowl.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:06 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:26 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:31 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 pm
I can see either side, but for me, take the two P5 wins. Would suck to lose the conference, but nobody outside the Sun Belt cares who wins this league. Biggest disappointment for me would be another trip to Bama instead of NOLA.

Another SBC title would be nice but wouldn't really advance the program beyond where it already is. Sweeping the Carolinas would be breaking new ground.
How so?
We haven’t beaten a P5 team since we moved up, now we’d beat two in one year.

We’ve never beaten UNC. I know we beat South Carolina once a few decades ago, but to my knowledge we’ve never beaten an SEC team.

Win that UNC game and watch fans pack the seats at KBS for the rest of the season and likely beyond. Wins like that make new fans in a way bullying the Sun Belt never will.

Make a statement to all the area P5 fans who say we’re just running up wins against JV competition.

Quite possibly get us in the top 25, conference title or not.

Etc. etc. etc.
All cogent responses.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:15 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
I will caveat that with this: Wouldn't that say a lot about our program if we got swept by P5 regional rivals with a combined .500 record. I'd rather be on the winning end of that than the losing end.
That is a fair point. But if we had beaten Penn State, they would been 8-5. Is a win against an 8-5 P5 team better than a championship?
In terms of national recognition and exposure, and recruiting...YES
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:05 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm
But to the original OP. Would you rather win those games and lose two conference games? If you lose two conference games then you quite possibly prevent yourself from getting to the conference championship and no NY6 bowl.
Thought I answered it. I’ll take the Carolina wins and the two conference losses.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:20 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:16 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm
I'd clearly trade one loss to a western SBC team for those two wins as we'd still get to play for the SBC title.

Two losses is a great question, I'd give a slight lean to going undefeated in OOC and then kick myself in early December for putting a hex on the season.

I'd take 10-2 with one OOC and one western conference loss right now though if offered.
Some of y'all adding some extra "options" and scenarios to the original question.
It's either 2 Carolina wins and not play for the SunBelt title or lose and play for title.

I see both sides and could be swayed.
I believe beating both Carolina's with be greatly beneficial to our program as far as attention, rankings, money, recruiting, respect, etc. What good is it when we cant compete against "our peers" in our own conference? Earning those rings and trophies is a big deal for these guys. Bragging rights for a season at thanksgiving is nice, but hardware and titles are forever.
I will take the Championships over the wins. Beating mediocre P5 isn't going to help recruiting unless you run the table and play in a NY6. If that isn't up for discussion then what's the point and you can't be in the talk if you don't win your conference.
LOSING to mediocre P5s but winning the conference would only prove the weakness of the Sun Belt. There is no good answer to this question but I'd rather beat mediocre P5s and not win the Belt. That would help the rep of the conference. It's been said on here many times, and I'm in agreement, we must start beating P5s, any P5s.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Not referencing the person who posted the topic, but reading through some answers I have a serious question. Do many of you feel that 9-3 or 8-4 is where we are headed? Presumably due to new coach? Personally I think 10-2 or 11-1 is attainable, and undefeated is more possible than any season in fbs yet. I would say at troy and USC are serious uphill battles....but I could see next year being our best fbs year yet...but wouldn't be shocked to be in the minority

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 pm

I’ll take the two Carolina wins hands down, just because that’s the one thing we haven’t been able pull off yet. It has been widely speculated that we may have the second best (Clemson of course being first) football program in the Carolinas. I like to believe this, but don’t think there’s anything solid to support it till we beat some of these guys.

On another note, Drink has stated his goals for ‘19 are to win the SBC and subsequent bowl game.... What do y’all think would be his (and the players’ for that matter) honest answer to this question?

TevieridesASU

Unread post by TevieridesASU » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 pm

I'm sorry, as I may see my Mountaineers through gold tinted and black rimmed glasses, and I rarely comment here ... but ... this time I share I don't concede any game as I see an extraordinary team entering the 2019 season! Best opportunity in years to set records and win games, all games.

Plus, excited for our new capable coaching staff. The new blending with our Mountaineers, with energy, fresh ideas plus experience equals much optimism!

I can never choose a game to loose so I choose to expect to win every game we play!

All the way to New Years Day!

Yes, I'm wearing those gold and black glasses! They feel so comfortable heading into the 2019 season!

Onward and Upward! Go Mountaineers!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”