Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2019 would you rather

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2019 would you rather

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:08 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:02 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:40 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm
I’d go with the P5 wins. A 10-2 record and a trip to the same old Belt bowl tie ins is nothing new. It would mean that the Belt is pretty good also. We are pretty much at NY6 or bust now. We have won conference titles, a championship game and all the bowl games we have played. Only box not checked is knocking off P5 teams. Also after we beat them we don’t need to be referred to as the little mountain school who shocked the world in 2007. Needs to be expected.
We have five FBS seasons under our belt. We haven't beaten a P5 school in over a decade. We have been ranked (25th) for a week. But we are a NY6 or bust program??? I'm terrified by this perspective.

Also, I have really appreciated the responses to my question. Thanks!
Why do we continuously quantity everything with the number of years we have been in FBS? At what point is that mute? Perhaps NY6 is a bit extreme but we are seriously approaching a new territory that only a few teams occupy. Every P5 school has a chance to play for the NC based on conference affiliation and several G5’s have no chance simply because they stink and will always stink. A few G5’s such as App have a legit shot to go unbeaten or even 12-1 and will still not sniff anything beyond a conference affiliated bowl or MAYBE the NY6.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:20 pm

*moot*

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:21 pm

Sorry Bigdaddyg, but I cannot agree that we are a NY6 or bust program now, although we obviously have some NY6 or bust fans. NY6 can be a star to help guide the ship but putting unrealistic expectation on reaching that actual star on a specified timeline is a recipe for failure, not improvement. Focus on the controllable goals and the NY6 will come. I do believe we will get there, but even being considered REQUIRES that we are the conference champs, so we can't ignore or diminish that goal.

The truth is that NO G5 team has a shot at the NC under the current system because G5 teams are not being considered seriously for the "Final 4" bowl games. The NY6 is still a consolation at best. Until the playoffs are expanded with a G5 representative guaranteed, we won't have that shot.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:20 pm
*moot*
no, it's "moo"

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Without reading other responses, both can happen.

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 pm
Tatedc wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 pm
Not referencing the person who posted the topic, but reading through some answers I have a serious question. Do many of you feel that 9-3 or 8-4 is where we are headed? Presumably due to new coach? Personally I think 10-2 or 11-1 is attainable, and undefeated is more possible than any season in fbs yet. I would say at troy and USC are serious uphill battles....but I could see next year being our best fbs year yet...but wouldn't be shocked to be in the minority
With two P5s and two difficult conference foes on the road, 8-4 is a realistic possibility.

Sure it's possible. But is that likely? 4 tough games and we lose each one? That would be pretty tough to handle for me. But I guess the new coach leaves alot of questions.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:53 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:20 pm
*moot*
Moot indeed. Tough crowd

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tatedc wrote:
Not referencing the person who posted the topic, but reading through some answers I have a serious question. Do many of you feel that 9-3 or 8-4 is where we are headed? Presumably due to new coach? Personally I think 10-2 or 11-1 is attainable, and undefeated is more possible than any season in fbs yet. I would say at troy and USC are serious uphill battles....but I could see next year being our best fbs year yet...but wouldn't be shocked to be in the minority
With two P5s and two difficult conference foes on the road, 8-4 is a realistic possibility.

Sure it's possible. But is that likely? 4 tough games and we lose each one? That would be pretty tough to handle for me. But I guess the new coach leaves alot of questions.
My comment had less to do with question about coaching and more about who we are playing and where. Troy and Louisiana are both physical teams that matchup pretty well with us and both are on the road. Troy is possibly the last game of the season so we really don’t have an idea on how the season is going to play out with injuries. Troy with Barker under Center concerns me more than Smith. Louisiana is getting better and who knows that might be a Thursday night game on the road. But either way, it’s a tough out. So could we lose all four? Yes. Will we? There are too many unknown variables to account for.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tatedc wrote:

GS and even ULM aren’t automatic wins either just because we play them at home.

(That said, I’d be quite disappointed with 8-4.)

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:07 am

I at least want to beat UNC, of the 2 Carolinas. And, as we have seen in the Belt, winning the conference isn't easy it will require us to win a lot of games and possibly get some help along the way with other teams beating each other. Beating UNC will be a key to getting an early top 25 look despite their poor recent records. In other words, if we lose to UNC and USC but have a relative repeat of 2018 in the Belt We won't get in the top 25.
Last edited by sixtoes9134 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm

When Appalachian and Georgia Southern play each other for a National Championship in the college football playoffs we will know that we have arrived at where we really want to be on the national stage in college football. Until then all we can do is prepare, prepare, prepare, prepare...

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:01 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:20 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:16 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm
I'd clearly trade one loss to a western SBC team for those two wins as we'd still get to play for the SBC title.

Two losses is a great question, I'd give a slight lean to going undefeated in OOC and then kick myself in early December for putting a hex on the season.

I'd take 10-2 with one OOC and one western conference loss right now though if offered.
Some of y'all adding some extra "options" and scenarios to the original question.
It's either 2 Carolina wins and not play for the SunBelt title or lose and play for title.

I see both sides and could be swayed.
I believe beating both Carolina's with be greatly beneficial to our program as far as attention, rankings, money, recruiting, respect, etc. What good is it when we cant compete against "our peers" in our own conference? Earning those rings and trophies is a big deal for these guys. Bragging rights for a season at thanksgiving is nice, but hardware and titles are forever.
I will take the Championships over the wins. Beating mediocre P5 isn't going to help recruiting unless you run the table and play in a NY6. If that isn't up for discussion then what's the point and you can't be in the talk if you don't win your conference.
Agreed over long haul because we do want titles but we need to take the next step and nobody, outside of App and the SBC, cares if we win the SBC again. We can sweep the SBC and if we get beat by UNC and South Carolina then we DON"T DESERVE VOTES or any respect outside of the second tier of FBS. If we want respect we must start beating the P5s. You are right in that we need to win the SBC and trust me I want to badly. It is a definite goal but we can win it 10 years in a row but if we can't beat any P5s we will always be a low tier program losing players to Duke, UNC, ECU, Louisville, etc regularly.

Just consider the Michigan win. The goal was to win the SoCon and FCS titles but Michigan did more for our brand than those titles did because they are a big name. Everyone knows us as the team who won the highest profile upset in D1 history and not the 3-time champs, outside of Boone, FCS world, and a couple of our SBC rivals who played us in the FCS.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:16 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:01 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:20 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:16 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm
I'd clearly trade one loss to a western SBC team for those two wins as we'd still get to play for the SBC title.

Two losses is a great question, I'd give a slight lean to going undefeated in OOC and then kick myself in early December for putting a hex on the season.

I'd take 10-2 with one OOC and one western conference loss right now though if offered.
Some of y'all adding some extra "options" and scenarios to the original question.
It's either 2 Carolina wins and not play for the SunBelt title or lose and play for title.

I see both sides and could be swayed.
I believe beating both Carolina's with be greatly beneficial to our program as far as attention, rankings, money, recruiting, respect, etc. What good is it when we cant compete against "our peers" in our own conference? Earning those rings and trophies is a big deal for these guys. Bragging rights for a season at thanksgiving is nice, but hardware and titles are forever.
I will take the Championships over the wins. Beating mediocre P5 isn't going to help recruiting unless you run the table and play in a NY6. If that isn't up for discussion then what's the point and you can't be in the talk if you don't win your conference.
Agreed over long haul because we do want titles but we need to take the next step and nobody, outside of App and the SBC, cares if we win the SBC again. We can sweep the SBC and if we get beat by UNC and South Carolina then we DON"T DESERVE VOTES or any respect outside of the second tier of FBS. If we want respect we must start beating the P5s. You are right in that we need to win the SBC and trust me I want to badly. It is a definite goal but we can win it 10 years in a row but if we can't beat any P5s we will always be a low tier program losing players to Duke, UNC, ECU, Louisville, etc regularly.

Just consider the Michigan win. The goal was to win the SoCon and FCS titles but Michigan did more for our brand than those titles did because they are a big name. Everyone knows us at the team who won the highest profile upset in D1 history and not the 3-time champs, outside of Boone, FCS world, and a couple of our SBC rivals who played us in the FCS.
This was originally my question. And, again, I've enjoyed the responses. I was going to give my answer. But there's no point now. I have nothing to add to what AppStFan1 has said (other than i wouldn't have said it as well).

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:26 pm

I think that as long as one of the two games lost in conference is not to Georgia Southern, I'd rather beat UNC and USC. If I get to pick the games we lose, I'd be ok losing to Troy and maybe let Louisiana finally beat us. It'd be tough to swallow a loss to Georgia State, Arkansas State or Texas State, too.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Stink plays LSU and Minnesota next year so big boys v big boys scheduled probably tips in their favor as far as toughness. What we don’t need is for Stink to outdo us in the P5 games and beat us at the Rock. That’s potentially a worst case scenario.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:01 pm

The #1 goal of any program is to win your conference first and everything else will fall into place. What “everything else’ includes is up for debate, as it means something different to every program. For some it means the CFP, for G5 programs, like us, it means discussions for the NY6. Beating P5s is not going to help us win recruiting battles with any of the P5s. We are on the low end of the totem pole in that regards. It is what it is. Do not kid yourself. We got Larry Dowdy because his offer from Virginia was not a take. If it were, he would be going there. That doesn’t mean that he wasn’t good enough to play there, he just wasn’t as high on their board as others. Beating Michigan or UNC are not an apples to apples comparison. We were a different division and they were a title contender. UNC is a middle of the road ACC school and beating them wouldn’t get much attention except from State and Duke fans and it certainly wouldn’t make the Wyatt Tunalls of the world flip from them to us. Example, we got some run for playing Penn St to OT, but the increased exposure if we had won would be marginal at best. Beating Michigan did more for our brand for sure, but beating UNC isn’t going to have the same impact as some of you hope.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:41 pm
Stink plays LSU and Minnesota next year so big boys v big boys scheduled probably tips in their favor as far as toughness. What we don’t need is for Stink to outdo us in the P5 games and beat us at the Rock. That’s potentially a worst case scenario.
Exactly. As long as we sweep the SBC and go undefeated and they lose to their P5 then we will be the top dog. Instead of worrying about this stupid crap and scenarios that we don't want to deal with folks need to bring up factual things. Let's stop debating these hypotheticals that don't need to be worried about. We could lose our first 4 games and then none of this other crap matters.

I'm shocked people want to debate stuff that likely won't happy but you know what is GUARANTEED to happen? Our first game is ETSU. I really think we as fans need to focus on who is next. We need to show up for every game and make every team from GSU to UNC to ETSU fear The Rock when they come. Worst thing that can happen is for them to pull another upset. I will never forget when they beat us in Boone while we were ranked in the top 10 and hearing their fans chant "overrated". I want to beat them by 50.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Easy- Win Carolina2. Last year the most significant game we had was the "quality loss" at Penn State. No one outside the Sun Belt knows who wins the conference championship. If we beat UNC and then seven weeks later beat USC, everyone in the country that gives two rat's a$$es about college football will know. We're kidding ourselves if we say winning the conference championship is our #1 goal- I say BS, beat the Heels and the Cocks.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:42 pm

You start with the premise that we go 10-2. I know our goals are to win SBC and bowl. I have repeatedly stated our "additional" goals should now be make NY6 and win it. It is a guarantee that two losses will absolutely eliminate us from making the NY6, probably one loss therefore in your scenario we would not be considered for the NY6. With that assumption I would take winning against both Carolinas vs SBC due to AppStFan1's summary. The ACC and SEC wins will help us in the longer term more than SBC #4. Also, in this scenario you can't rule out that both UNC and USC may even be top 25 teams and that would mean we beat one or two top 25 teams in one season therefore definitely giving us more credibility than SBC.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:06 pm

Discussions like this are fun but, like most threads the topic goes off the rails. Obviously the number one goal is beat ETSU then win the next game. Obviously a goal is win the conference but dang what does it hurt to throw out a crazy hypothetical question that ZERO of us control? Geez lighten up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”