Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Derrick Transfer

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:05 am
If he wants an FCS type program, UNC-Charlotte is right down the road.
Well done.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:40 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:18 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:57 am
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 am
Baldwin will be number 2 by Week 1. Then you have Huesman. Not sure why so many of you are worried about this.
Whoa, number 2? Thought you said he’d be starting by then.
according to someone who has actually spoken to the coaching staff, the plan is for him to Redshirt. I still believe he is, at least, the 2nd best QB available to play even as a true freshman. It would make sense to have him prep as the number 2 given Thomas' dislike of sliding.

If I were the coach, which I'm not, I'd give every QB a fair shake and let the depth chart filter itself out.

But again, we've seen incumbants who appeared to have a vice grip on the starting job beaten out before in Boone.
A few things here from your posts.

1. Nobody was worried. I think everyone knew that Baldwin would redshirt.

2. The honest truth here is that you thought Baldwin had a shot to play in 2019 because of his HS rating. You will never admit it but that is why. Those ratings are meaningless for G5 programs and I think Moose would even admit that. Look at the ratings of Peoples, Jalin Moore, Clifton Duck, and the rest of our top players. Most of our top players have been our lowest rated guy the last few years.

3. If you truly looked at Baldwin's film and knew, and he could turn out to be a great one (hopefully he does), then you would have pounded the table for Thomas when we signed him and said how great he is going to be. Thomas is the best QB we have had since AE and it is not even close.

4. I don't care if a 4-star QB with a 92 rating signs he is not going to beat out Thomas unless Thomas gets hurt and ultimately has to sit.

I did not mean to come off as mean but just setting a few things straight. Baldwin was never going to start in 2019 unless Thomas gets hurt and Huesman struggles.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:51 pm

What is most likely scenario for 2019 season?

1) Zac plays better than he did in 2018. If so, how much better?
2) Zac plays at same level.
3) Zac plays worse than 2018.

I say most likely #1 especially under Drink’s tutelage and expected more aggressive offensive play calling philosophy. What is Zac’s ceiling?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Clearly in order to win the Heisman I believe he will have to play better in 2019.

Seriously, I think Zac will continue to develop and improve his skills. I also think the OL will be improved and it won't hurt his stats any if we play a bit more aggressively with the passing game. No way for me to forecast but I think he has a great year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:57 pm
Clearly in order to win the Heisman I believe he will have to play better in 2019.

Seriously, I think Zac will continue to develop and improve his skills. I also think the OL will be improved and it won't hurt his stats any if we play a bit more aggressively with the passing game. No way for me to forecast but I think he has a great year.
There is no shot he wins the Heisman unless we are undefeated and he has more passing TDs and yards by a huge margin over anyone else. If there is a P5 QB close he won't win it and I don't care about that. I just want to go undefeated this year. Awards will fall into place if we win.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:42 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:24 pm
Yosef84 wrote:

There is no shot he wins the Heisman unless we are undefeated and he has more passing TDs and yards by a huge margin over anyone else. If there is a P5 QB close he won't win it and I don't care about that. I just want to go undefeated this year. Awards will fall into place if we win.
He was kidding.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

Attachments
Sarcasm.jpg
Sarcasm.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 4832 times

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 pm

The Dude Abides ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:55 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

you'd better duck! went right over your head.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 pm

What does Huesman have to do with any of this?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:35 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:40 am
ericsaid wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Baldwin will be number 2 by Week 1. Then you have Huesman. Not sure why so many of you are worried about this.
according to someone who has actually spoken to the coaching staff, the plan is for him to Redshirt. I still believe he is, at least, the 2nd best QB available to play even as a true freshman. It would make sense to have him prep as the number 2 given Thomas' dislike of sliding.

If I were the coach, which I'm not, I'd give every QB a fair shake and let the depth chart filter itself out.

But again, we've seen incumbants who appeared to have a vice grip on the starting job beaten out before in Boone.

2. The honest truth here is that you thought Baldwin had a shot to play in 2019 because of his HS rating. You will never admit it but that is why. Those ratings are meaningless for G5 programs and I think Moose would even admit that. Look at the ratings of Peoples, Jalin Moore, Clifton Duck, and the rest of our top players. Most of our top players have been our lowest rated guy the last few years.

3. If you truly looked at Baldwin's film and knew, and he could turn out to be a great one (hopefully he does), then you would have pounded the table for Thomas when we signed him and said how great he is going to be. Thomas is the best QB we have had since AE and it is not even close.

4. I don't care if a 4-star QB with a 92 rating signs he is not going to beat out Thomas unless Thomas gets hurt and ultimately has to sit.

I did not mean to come off as mean but just setting a few things straight. Baldwin was never going to start in 2019 unless Thomas gets hurt and Huesman struggles.
I liked Thomas when he was signed and figured he would be next in line after Lamb left. I didn't post anything about it because I didn't think Thomas was much better than Lamb coming out of high school. The obvious difference between them is the quickness and quicker release.

However, I believe that Drink would be doing a disservice to the program if he simply said that Baldwin would Redshirt. This is a new offense for everyone and I expect that each player will have to cement their spot.

I also agree that Thomas is the best QB at App since Armanti, but that doesn't discount the obvious talent of Baldwin. I understand the love affair with Thomas considering his performance last season but I'm not sure that Drink doesn't hold an open competition.

Is Thomas more experienced? Of course. But I will be withholding judgement on who is the better FIT for the NEW offense until August.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:51 am

This guy...

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:59 am

I think we found JCline’s other, other account

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:02 am

ericsaid wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:35 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

I liked Thomas when he was signed and figured he would be next in line after Lamb left. I didn't post anything about it because I didn't think Thomas was much better than Lamb coming out of high school. The obvious difference between them is the quickness and quicker release.

However, I believe that Drink would be doing a disservice to the program if he simply said that Baldwin would Redshirt. This is a new offense for everyone and I expect that each player will have to cement their spot.

I also agree that Thomas is the best QB at App since Armanti, but that doesn't discount the obvious talent of Baldwin. I understand the love affair with Thomas considering his performance last season but I'm not sure that Drink doesn't hold an open competition.

Is Thomas more experienced? Of course. But I will be withholding judgement on who is the better FIT for the NEW offense until August.
The YC QB guru has spoken

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:46 am

Mechanically Lamb wasn’t the greatest QB in the land but all he did was win. Someone with a better memory than me please point out the game/games we lost in which he “blew it” for us. If memory does serve there were a few losses during his tenure that missed kicks were the difference and I do recall post after post calling for his replacement even though the dude was a winner. Now we have QB experts calling for an open between arguably the best (considering the overall level of competition we face) QB in school history- no offense to AE. It’s getting closer to apples and oranges. ZT is potentially a top 20 QB- nationally. We should breathe a sigh of relief that, maybe, we have a potential replacement in two years.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:53 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

Well, as others have pointed out, i was in fact joking. Relax and look for the humor in life (or attempted humor in this case). Life is more fun that way. Go Apps!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 am

ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Attachments
some-people-are-soo-full-of-shit-they-should-have-9341292.png

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 am

Write it down: ericsaid has already criticized a decision Coach D had made. Probably the first of many for the QB guru of the YC
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:22 am

App91 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:55 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

you'd better duck! went right over your head.
I know it was a joke but we have folks on here who seriously think we can have a player in the hunt for awards like that or that finishing #1 in scoring or having a QB throw for 40 TDs matters. All that matters is that we win. I'm still not sure why people debate pointless things or how anyone thought Thomas would get beat out? It is laughable that some folks that he would be challenged.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:25 am

ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

You are already questioning Drink? Please post your credentials because it sounds like you have a better coaching/playing resume than him and I think you need to show it off for us idiots on here.

As for the best since AE. Name someone with more talent that Thomas since AE? Also, you forgot arm strength. Taylor was smart and made good decisions but he almost had a noodle for an arm. Thomas clearly has a much stronger arm.

You are acting like this offense is going to change heavily and Thomas can't fit it. Drink flat out said that he is going to tailor the offense to the talent he has this year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”