Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Black Thursday

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Black Thursday

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:04 am

I know common sense isn’t a thing anymore, but one would think if entire body is painted, including the face would be acceptable as long as you aren’t pretending to be someone, or some race, your are not.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 am

Appftw wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:29 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm
I'm saying there has never been a more important time to be abundantly cautious about racial sensitivity. I could easily see a photo of some of our students wearing black paint on their face being used in a way that makes us look very bad, even if it was innocent participation in Black Thursday. People see what they want to see. Don't forget I wasn't the first person to make that suggestion in this thread. It's just not worth the risk.
The Covington kids were front row at a basketball game screaming at the only black kid on the court while wearing minstrel style black face. Context certainly matters.
They scream at every opposing player regardless of race but the fact that you called that out proves Gonzo's point... People will find a way to make it look bad regardless

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 pm

appvette wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 am
Appftw wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:29 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm
I'm saying there has never been a more important time to be abundantly cautious about racial sensitivity. I could easily see a photo of some of our students wearing black paint on their face being used in a way that makes us look very bad, even if it was innocent participation in Black Thursday. People see what they want to see. Don't forget I wasn't the first person to make that suggestion in this thread. It's just not worth the risk.
The Covington kids were front row at a basketball game screaming at the only black kid on the court while wearing minstrel style black face. Context certainly matters.
They scream at every opposing player regardless of race but the fact that you called that out proves Gonzo's point... People will find a way to make it look bad regardless
Type in “Minstrel show” in google. No one would have cared if these kids hadn’t outlined their eyes and mouth. It was a combination of many factors (including the previous bad press from the viral video) that led to the Covington kids getting this kind of attention. That will not happen at App if no one does anything dumb.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Geez Gonzo, easy to see your attorney skills in action here as you have unmasked them with your post. If I ever need legal work I'll send you a message.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm

For the record, not a fan of “Black Thursday”. That game, that night, does not need it. I understand the challenges with our Saturday lineups but still. With that said, on my list of things to get worked up about, it’s not on the list.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm
For the record, not a fan of “Black Thursday”. That game, that night, does not need it. I understand the challenges with our Saturday lineups but still. With that said, on my list of things to get worked up about, it’s not on the list.
For sure. I think they should have done it for the Coastal Carolina game. But alas. Go Thursday!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Coastal should always be 'Choke a chicken' game.
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”