Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Football team involved in St. Patrick’s Day fight?

HBTApps
School: Appalachian State

Re: Football team involved in St. Patrick’s Day fight?

Unread post by HBTApps » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 am

Gonzo, not sure what kind of parties you went to, but that was far from my experience... Sounds more like the guy who didn't get invited to the party (not saying that's the case). Maybe things were different during my years at App than yours.
Can't speak for fraternities outside of App.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 am

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:32 am
Frat parties always end the same way. A few of the brothers are incels. They eventually get drunk and blame non-member male partygoers for their lack of sex on the particular night. Fight breaks out. Frat bros lose and then it’s all “DO YOU KNOW WHO MY FATHER IS!?”

Saw it dozens of times myself when I was at Appalachian.
FACTS.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

HBTApps

Unread post by HBTApps » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:35 am

That's a lot... At least 24 times... I probably would have stayed away from them after that many times

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:37 am

Yeah I was 70% joking with that post. I knew some cool frat members. Girl friend (now Wife) was a Chi O, so I experienced a fair amount of Greek stuff. Did fight some frat incels at a formal in Mountain City once though (they started it).

And the parties my boys and I had at our house on Hodges Gap we’re superior to any frat party, that’s for sure. Zero fights at our place. Greeks, athletes, and many others attended for a peaceful good time.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:38 am

I will say there is a huge difference in the Frats today than 1973 when we were chartered. We had football and basketball players and half the wrestling team as part of our frat. No sausage parties in the 70’s!!!!!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:50 am

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:53 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:45 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:32 am
Don't really think the "what if a gun came out" position has anything to do with justifying the posting of this video. By the time it was posted, it was known whether that happened. That would be justification for taking the video in the first place but not for publishing.

I never got to see the video. It had been taken down before I saw this thread. Fighting is inappropriate behavior but things do get blown out of perspective these days. Hopefully, nobody was significantly harmed and no charges are filed. As of the last report I read, that seems to be the case. I will trust Coach Drink to use this as a teaching moment to get the attention of some of these young men. Our athletes need to know that there are jerks out there who will bait them and they need to avoid situations where that is likely and be willing to walk away when it does. The only thing they have to prove is on the field! Always be PROUD to be a MOUNTAINEER and REPRESENT!
Please don’t assume someone baited our football players....and teaching moment my ass....it’s a discipline moment and I hope it scares the crap outta our team
Discipline = one form of teaching. Not every person in that room requires discipline based on what I've read. Additionally, I'm not assuming anything about this incident. I stated up front that I have not watched it. I said that it happens. That's a fact. Relax there, Rekdiver.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:53 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Don't really think the "what if a gun came out" position has anything to do with justifying the posting of this video. By the time it was posted, it was known whether that happened. That would be justification for taking the video in the first place but not for publishing.

I never got to see the video. It had been taken down before I saw this thread. Fighting is inappropriate behavior but things do get blown out of perspective these days. Hopefully, nobody was significantly harmed and no charges are filed. As of the last report I read, that seems to be the case. I will trust Coach Drink to use this as a teaching moment to get the attention of some of these young men. Our athletes need to know that there are jerks out there who will bait them and they need to avoid situations where that is likely and be willing to walk away when it does. The only thing they have to prove is on the field! Always be PROUD to be a MOUNTAINEER and REPRESENT!
Please don’t assume someone baited our football players....and teaching moment my ass....it’s a discipline moment and I hope it scares the crap outta our team
Discipline = one form of teaching. Not every person in that room requires discipline based on what I've read. Additionally, I'm not assuming anything about this incident. I stated up front that I have not watched it. I said that it happens. That's a fact. Relax there, Rekdiver.
I AM relaxed....i take Prozac!!!!!!!!!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:45 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

I AM relaxed....i take Prozac!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL Hilarious. I'm fine. I'm not the one who has to rise to the defense of the frat boys. I just made a general comment. Have a great day.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:52 am

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:37 am
Yeah I was 70% joking with that post. I knew some cool frat members. Girl friend (now Wife) was a Chi O, so I experienced a fair amount of Greek stuff. Did fight some frat incels at a formal in Mountain City once though (they started it).

And the parties my boys and I had at our house on Hodges Gap we’re superior to any frat party, that’s for sure. Zero fights at our place. Greeks, athletes, and many others attended for a peaceful good time.
Class of '06- you described MOST Greek parties accurately. Football players could be extremely obnoxious as well and I had a couple of issues with one or two of them due to their infatuation with my girlfriend (now wife). I was friends with a handful of the starters and they kept a much lower profile than other guys on the team who wanted to feel "entitled". But those FCS level athletes had a little different mindset than the guys we have now. With us being FBS and more of these guys having long term ambitions, I am surprised they aren't more conscious of not putting themselves in bad situations. I may know a few of them now, and they seem to lean much more to keeping a low profile.
The Appalachian State

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:04 am

I imagine suspensions are forth coming once the investigation gets wrapped up.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... bda33.html
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:18 am

Still Trusting the Visor!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:22 am

I bet they were all jacked up on mountain dew.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

From WSJ:

Joey Jones, App State’s associate athletics director for strategic communications, said the players could not be named at this time as part of the school’s fact-finding process. Jones did not indicate the specific number of players who had been suspended, but he did confirm that it was fewer than five players.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:25 pm

My quotation from last week was not appreciated by Boroughneer and others, but it's still true. "It's a stain on the university, the football program and the new coaching staff."

The story was in a block, bold-font headline on the front page of today's WSJ. Not in a good way!

App scholarship athletes sign a pledge to follow the AppState Student Athlete Handbook and to be aware at all times of the Athletic Department's sanctions for serious violations. Those sanctions include, among others, permanant suspension from the team; loss of the athletic grant-in-aid; and permanent suspension from the university.

Our dismissal of antisocial behavior as "boys will be boys" is to be like ostriches burying their heads in the sand. Certainly, matters like this can get blown out of proportion. Since none of us were at the party, all we know about it is what we've read somewhere or what we've learned through hearsay. Hopefully, the university investigation that's underway (following published policy) will eventually deem it to be much ado about nothing. At this snapshot in time, however, it appears to be a little more serious than that.

Let's hold back on our shotgun court that's pronouncing innocense or guilt until it's clear to all what actually went down. In the meantime our alma mater, football program and coaching staff are suffering a black eye.

Still bad! Still a stain.
Last edited by asu66 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:32 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:04 pm
I was involved in much worse when I was in school. Looks like dumb drunk kids talking trash and paying the consequences. What's promising is how it looked isolated to a few kids and a lot of them were trying to break it up.

The rule of thumb for me was never initiate contact and as soon as someone layed a finger on me, end it quick. I would make it loud and clear that I would not do anything unless provoked physically, that way if the law came around asking what happened, witnesses could say I was just defending myself. Needless to say, fights rarely materialize when you do not hit the idiot with the big mouth who "had it coming".
And one of the ones trying to break it up gets knocked out at :32. Prior to that the guy who threw the KO was kicking someone on the ground. I'm not sure exactly how people are saying this is "kids being kids". That kind of force behind a punch could easily launch someone into a coma.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:39 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:22 am
I bet they were all jacked up on mountain dew.
He did go after that guy like a spider monkey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”