Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Pro Day 3/28

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Pro Day 3/28

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 am
Somebody put a 4.7 out there to scare other teams away!!!
No. I asked my friend and he said that other teams got anywhere from 4.67-4.72. Heath did not run a 4.4. And I am not pulling against him at all or anything. Just trying to be realistic here. Very few football players actually run a 4.4 or better.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:24 pm

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Ugh. I don't blame Duck for going into the draft early, but this upcoming season would've been a grand opportunity for him to show his skills against P5 players since we're playing UNC & South Carolina.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:43 pm

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:28 pm
Ugh. I don't blame Duck for going into the draft early, but this upcoming season would've been a grand opportunity for him to show his skills against P5 players since we're playing UNC & South Carolina.
He listened to the wrong people. I just did not get how a player could how he could think he should come out early at his size without having a monster stat year and knowing for sure he would run a 4.4 or better.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 am

I wish Duck would have stayed for his senior year but I don't think another year with us would have made his stock any higher. He makes the point that his production has been going down since teams don't throw the ball his way very often. That was not going to change this year. He's not going to grow taller, gain more weight or speed so if his goal is to play professionally he might as well take a shot sooner than later. I keep hearing how small he is, how slow he is..yada, yada, yada. Maybe it's true but look at Tyrann Mathieu's stats and tell me Duck can't make it in the NFL.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:09 am

My argument to Duck was to stay his senior year and develop/show off some of his intangibles like leadership, anticipation, and maturity. This year has the potential to be a special season with possible national attention. He could have been a face of that as a Senior leader on defense.
The Appalachian State

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:24 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 am
I wish Duck would have stayed for his senior year but I don't think another year with us would have made his stock any higher. He makes the point that his production has been going down since teams don't throw the ball his way very often. That was not going to change this year. He's not going to grow taller, gain more weight or speed so if his goal is to play professionally he might as well take a shot sooner than later. I keep hearing how small he is, how slow he is..yada, yada, yada. Maybe it's true but look at Tyrann Mathieu's stats and tell me Duck can't make it in the NFL.
Just to add on, Duck staying wouldn't have helped, plus I believe the following year is supposed to be a heavy CB draft. Getting out a year early will be beneficial to him. Size and speed may be issues, but in the right system he will flourish. The Colts are high on him and see him as a depth pick in the late rounds, also a DB that would fit their zone package. He's got great ball hawking skills, the ability to take it to the house, he can hit, and he has the "it" factor you look for in a player that can't be measured in a combine. Plus, he already talks trash like an NFL player.

***Also, do we get the highest rated DB recruit we've every had from UNC if Duck was still here?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:26 am

That will get u looked at but his measurables would still make him a UDFA at best.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:37 am

I've said this before, and I really, really hope Duck gets on an NFL roster but...if he doesn't then what's he going to do? And even if he makes a roster, how long will he last? No college degree and if he comes back to school he's going to have to pony up for the cost. I guess he'd have a shot in Canada but those salaries are much lower and certainly not life-altering money especially after taxes.
The risk/reward quotient here just doesn't work for me...but I hope he puts up a 10+ year career in the NFL. He does have the "it" factor...and I'm pulling for him. I'd feel better if he had earned his degree because football is not forever...or even guaranteed for him.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:07 am

Duck certainly does have the "it" factor & will excel big time if used correctly. He's leaving as a Junior so he could always come back and finish his degree. Just needs to make sure he manages well while playing in the NFL/CFL/whatever league. I'm glad he scored well on the Wonderlic test. Shows he's a smart kid who's got swagger & an attitude but can be very useful.

Colts will probably draft him as a project in the 7th round. But it'd be awesome if the Panthers decide to get him first. After all, he IS a local and Appalachian has become a whole lot more well known throughout the South since we've moved into the FBS.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:15 am

Does anyone have the actual Duck stats? I seem to recall him getting beat a few times. How did he actually do against the P5’s we played? Wish he was coming back but he’s got to do what he wants

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:06 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Duck could have become a better cover man and matured mentally. He also could have bulked up some more. He played around 170 this year and was 180 at pro day. Nobody has seen him play in the 180s. Could be that extra 10 pounds slowed him down a good bit and he isn't the same player. Would have helped to see how he plays in the 180-185 range.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:24 am
mikeyosef wrote:
Just to add on, Duck staying wouldn't have helped, plus I believe the following year is supposed to be a heavy CB draft. Getting out a year early will be beneficial to him. Size and speed may be issues, but in the right system he will flourish. The Colts are high on him and see him as a depth pick in the late rounds, also a DB that would fit their zone package. He's got great ball hawking skills, the ability to take it to the house, he can hit, and he has the "it" factor you look for in a player that can't be measured in a combine. Plus, he already talks trash like an NFL player.

***Also, do we get the highest rated DB recruit we've every had from UNC if Duck was still here?
Where is the quote where the Colts GM or an area scout said that they specifically have him in the late rounds?

I doubt that a DB recruit comes here only because Duck left. He was going to come regardless because of our staff and their connections. And those ratings are crap because if you notice most of our top players were among the lowest rated coming out.

Take a look at Baldwin and how high he is yet he signs with us despite having the SBC OFF POY returning for two more years. Why would our highest rated recruit show up knowing that but our 3rd highest recruit be scared of Duck? Plus, Hayes was leaving anyway so there was going to be an opening. I can assure you Duck leaving did not mean we got a stud HS recruit. Tell that to the kid and I'm sure he would laugh at that premise.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 am

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:07 am
Duck certainly does have the "it" factor & will excel big time if used correctly. He's leaving as a Junior so he could always come back and finish his degree. Just needs to make sure he manages well while playing in the NFL/CFL/whatever league. I'm glad he scored well on the Wonderlic test. Shows he's a smart kid who's got swagger & an attitude but can be very useful.

Colts will probably draft him as a project in the 7th round. But it'd be awesome if the Panthers decide to get him first. After all, he IS a local and Appalachian has become a whole lot more well known throughout the South since we've moved into the FBS.
No shot the Colts draft him. My buddy said the Colts and a few others teams like Hayes more than Duck.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:19 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:26 am
That will get u looked at but his measurables would still make him a UDFA at best.
“At best” is bit strong. CBs are trending smaller and quick-twitch given the move to smaller and quicker WRs.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:32 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:19 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:26 am
“At best” is bit strong. CBs are trending smaller and quick-twitch given the move to smaller and quicker WRs.
Rules are different for P5 schools and the rest. A 5'11 QB in the SEC or Big 12 will get taken early but it won't happen from the SBC or a FCS school. Tyrann played at LSU and in the eyes of the NFL that is a big difference. We play the SEC and ACC this year so if someone on our team dominates the SBC and both P5 opponents then they could get the benefit of the doubt.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Duck won’t get drafted. He really needed to put up crazy numbers at Pro Day to boost his stock, that didn’t happened. Like I said, he bulked up ALOT, and that helped him look a little better in stature. Exford is the one who did a lot to boost his stock on Pro Day. He looked and played the part. His size and measurables tied in with his performance at Pro Day really benefitted him. I know Duck really wants this, but he is just going to hope for that camp invite and give it all he has. He has the gravitas to put on a show, and I hope he does,
The Appalachian State

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 am

No shot the Colts draft him. My buddy said the Colts and a few others teams like Hayes more than Duck.
That's true. Apparently, Hayes drew the attention from alot more scouts than i expected:

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByCollege

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:28 pm
Two additional games wasn't likely to change anything. He couldn't really improve upon the tape he has from Tennessee, in almost any game. The Toledo and MTSU tape are also gold for him, particularly because Toledo lit up Miami that same season.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 am

That's true. Apparently, Hayes drew the attention from alot more scouts than i expected:

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByCollege
Sort of like the interest in AJ Howard surprised me last season. I expected Collins (year prior) and Gossett to attract more attention than they did but apparently NFL teams are liking what they have seen in the App State secondary.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”