Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Owens Field House

jjapp2013
School: Appalachian State

Owens Field House

Unread post by jjapp2013 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 am

For those of you still grieving over Owens. I really enjoyed this: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... cb089.html

CVAPP

Re: Owens Field House

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:40 am

I was told that building was named in honor of a real estate broker/developer named Babe Owens. I think he was on the BOT in the 1970s or 80s. Can anybody confirm this?

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:54 am

I believe it was Charles Owens as kinda seen in this picture https://omeka.library.appstate.edu/file ... 4955a95a01
I believe he was a member of the Physical Education department in the 60's. But also could be wrong, that's just what I was able to find.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:08 am

Ethan Joyce sure does a great job for us. Thanks Ethan.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:58 am

Good memories of going to games from my childhood. I was only in Owens once or twice in the Yosef club room with my Dad, but I remember the image of all the frat banners and signs that used to hang off of the railing and the people standing out on the balcony. Funny the things that stick in your mind when you're a kid. I had someone go by the site and get a brick for me

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:20 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:58 am
Good memories of going to games from my childhood. I was only in Owens once or twice in the Yosef club room with my Dad, but I remember the image of all the frat banners and signs that used to hang off of the railing and the people standing out on the balcony. Funny the things that stick in your mind when you're a kid. I had someone go by the site and get a brick for me
I was the first person to put a sign on that railing. I was late getting the sign to the stadium that week an all the sign spots were taken. I was in a panic. I saw Jim Garner coming out of Owens and asked him if it would be okay. He said go for it....Couple of years later in the Yosef club room...Yes, I have mixed feelings about it going away. Be the same with Bowie dorm and the demise of Cloud Nine.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:29 pm

I walked onto campus in 1973. There was no Owens Field House. There was a little building with 2 small locker rooms, each one about 30 x 30 (maybe), a small taping room about 90 sq. ft, and a manager's room. There was one dorm-type room on the west end where one of the managers stayed (Buddha!). Later on around 1976 or so Owens was added onto that existing field house; it's shell was inside the new structure. Head AT "Doc" Kanoy asked me to design the taping and treatment tables for the ATR which the physical plant then built. With larger locker rooms, a 500 sq. ft ATR, a couple meeting rooms upstairs along with coach's offices and an official athletic administrative area we all thought ASU was now in the big time and boring with a big auger (as my grandaddy would say). Unfortunately the football program fell on difficult times. Coach Brakefield retired and the powers that be decided that no Brakefield staff member should be promoted so Fisher DeBerry left; all he did was become a HOF coach at Air Force Academy. Enter "he who shall not be named" to be the new coach and we all know how that worked out (pun intended). Owens has been the one consistency through those periods, Brown, Woods, Moore, and Satterfield. New day, new coach, new era, new facility! It's great to be a Mountaineer and I'm proud to say that I was there for part of it!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:06 pm

That's the first place I saw the "You can't lick Yosef" banner hanging from. Good times!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”