Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New 4 game series with Charlotte

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: New 4 game series with Charlotte

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 am

appstate77 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:24 pm
We will feast upon Concord Tech as well as Stink Community College this Fall.
Concord is a surprisingly up and coming cool town. It is not as bad an insult as it used to be. Harrisburg Tech maybe? Rocky River A&M?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:21 am

University of North Carolina-Commuters...training Uber and Lyft drivers of tomorrow.

coffeyman76
School: Charlotte

Unread post by coffeyman76 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Have to say I'm surprised at some of the hate for Charlotte here. Fringe group? Uber driver...nice. And the commuter stats?

Personally as a 49er, I think this is a great rivalry (currently called a tune up for you guys I've read) . Charlotte has amazing potential so it will not always be that way. Regardless I'm glad to see it continuing.

Side note we are all excited to be coming to Boone in a few weeks, showing some green and hanging out with Yosef and his merry bunch. We had a great time last game and at least our group showed great hospitality to any Mountaineer who wanted to join us. Heck many of us have family or friends that are involved with one school or another.

Thanks for calling us UNCC, very mature. :mrgreen: Our Athletics program formally adopted Charlotte like 2 decades ago. Your own forum registration calls it Charlotte. :mrgreen: No worries, we know who we are.

We'll see you guys in a few weeks. My Uber sign will be off for the weekend, thanks.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:55 am

Try reading the Appy appreciation page on your forum. We have never been Appy. Very mature. When you find a mature CLT poster let us know.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 pm

I’ve been hearing about UNCC’s “potential.” What’s the shelf life on that stuff?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:50 pm

coffeyman76 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm
Have to say I'm surprised at some of the hate for Charlotte here. Fringe group? Uber driver...nice. And the commuter stats?

Personally as a 49er, I think this is a great rivalry (currently called a tune up for you guys I've read) . Charlotte has amazing potential so it will not always be that way. Regardless I'm glad to see it continuing.

Side note we are all excited to be coming to Boone in a few weeks, showing some green and hanging out with Yosef and his merry bunch. We had a great time last game and at least our group showed great hospitality to any Mountaineer who wanted to join us. Heck many of us have family or friends that are involved with one school or another.

Thanks for calling us UNCC, very mature. :mrgreen: Our Athletics program formally adopted Charlotte like 2 decades ago. Your own forum registration calls it Charlotte. :mrgreen: No worries, we know who we are.

We'll see you guys in a few weeks. My Uber sign will be off for the weekend, thanks.
Hey mods, is there any way we can correct this oversight?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:21 am
University of North Carolina-Commuters...training Uber and Lyft drivers of tomorrow.
And computer engineers. For real. The problem with UNC-C is they admit everybody who walks in the door. They flunk out many for sure. My daughter is a very successful graduate, Rek.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:55 am
Try reading the Appy appreciation page on your forum. We have never been Appy. Very mature. When you find a mature CLT poster let us know.

Rek, there are some on here who actually (using a liberal word) "embrace" the moniker "Appy" and once were fond of the term "Happy Appy." I'm not one of them as I find Appy demeaning. To each his own.
Google SUX

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Enjoy the trip to the mountains 9ers, have fun with whatever lowbrow humor you come up with pregame. If you stay until the end I’ll be glad to meet you outside the stadium and wish you a pleasant ride home.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Honestly, I usually use UNCC, and it’s not even meant as a troll. I just hear “Charlotte” and don’t think of the university. Guess I’m showing my age maybe. Or maybe it’s that UNCC was their name during the best days of their hoops program.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 pm
I’ve been hearing about UNCC’s “potential.” What’s the shelf life on that stuff?
Potential is the only thing they can offer up to make themselves feel better about their situation. It's a lie they tell themselves.

Fast track to the AAC though amiright?!!

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:32 pm

GregPercussion wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:58 am
Well, I’m excited to see this rivalry grow now. Doug did great with getting this set up!

Now if only we can get a home & home with NC State now...
We will not get a home and home with the Wolfpack. Not b/c they don't want it but b/c at this current time for them there is no upside. If they win, thats what they were supposed to do. If they lose (which is very possible) Doren's job is in jeopardy and the fans will be more cranky than they normally are.

The Wolfpack are also in a tough spot when it comes to non-conference games. There are no guaranteed wins in the Coastal for them. They have to schedule non-conference opponents that they have a high likelihood of beating so they can get to that 6 win mark. Fortunately/Unfortunately App is too good to be a non-conference opponent for the Wolfpack at this time.

Our best bet to get a game with the Wolfpack is this...We continue to win and there is no change to the bowl/conference alignments and we get left out of a NY6 game and are sent to New Orleans for the 2nd/3rd/4th time... The Wolfpack have a good year but get a crumby match up in a bowl. With 2 unhappy/unsatisfied fan bases chirping both ADs/Chancellors at App & NCSU meet in Greensboro for a super secret meeting with the Bank of America Stadium execs and some TV provider and decide they will make their own bowl game in Charlotte.

I know there are contracts/TV deals that would get in the way of all of this but I won't let any tell me this can't happen.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:50 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:01 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
And computer engineers. For real. The problem with UNC-C is they admit everybody who walks in the door. They flunk out many for sure. My daughter is a very successful graduate, Rek.
I know this. I’m not talking about the 20% that get quality degrees. I’m talking
About the 10,000 they admitted to get more student fees.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:50 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:01 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
I know this. I’m not talking about the 20% that get quality degrees. I’m talking
About the 10,000 they admitted to get more student fees.
IC. No harm, no foul, Rek.
Google SUX

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:25 pm

I think the series has the potential to be great for both programs. I also think UNCC hurt their football program by going FBS too fast. They should have established some winning ways in the FCS ranks. That said I have to give some kudos to UNCC. Don’t shot me guys I’m a huge App. fan. My daughter also grew up an App fan attending almost ever home game for 10 years and attending the 2006 and 2007 National Championship games with me. She had her pick of collages but chose App. Turns out she wasn’t a fit for Boone or App and after her freshman year she transferred to UNCC. One of the reason she left App was that almost all of her professors were very political and that was uncomfortable for her. She’s starting her jr. year in nursing school at UNCC and she has had zero politics in any of her classes. I don’t know if this is by design or not but either way kudos to UNCC. Don’t get me wrong there’s room for political discussion in collage but based on my conversation with several current App students it’s gone way too far at APP.
Last edited by Mjohn1988 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Easy trip to an away game,and a home game against a G5 that should travel well.Dont really see a downside.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:55 pm

Appftw wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:26 pm

They actually have a captive on campus student base in dorms and apartments. I think that they have a more traditional campus life than Georgia State. They are also the only major football in town.
They actually don't. I know that their alumni will practically throw tantrums claiming they aren't a commuter school anymore, but they're not telling the truth. Here are the numbers (according to US News):

UNCC undergrad student population is 23,914. 24% live on-campus and 76% live off-campus. Thus they have 5,739 students living on campus. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/unc-charlotte-2975

Georgia State, meanwhile has an undergrad student body of 25,970 with 22% living on-campus and 78% off-campus for a total of 5,713 students on campus. Only 20 less than UNCC. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ge ... rsity-1574

I'm sick of all the myths about Charlotte's "potential". They are nothing but Georgia State with a crappier basketball program.
This just goes to show that you can make stats say anything you want.
Charlotte vs. Georgia State is night and day. Charlotte has a suburban campus that is a real campus with plenty of acreage and all of it's facilities on the main campus. Yes, it's much more of a commuter school than ASU (and I'll knock it for that), but I guarantee that if you look at off-campus students, it's still a lot more like ASU than it is Georgia State.
Georgia State just recently purchased Turner Field to give it some sort of campus at all.

Yes, the college experience in Boone is better and students don't flock from campus as soon as classes are over.

Most importantly, two more road games that are a 10 minute commute and an easy tailgate!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:59 am

The best thing is that in 3 weeks, they will remain winless against us and they can spend the next seven years dealing with it.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:09 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:55 pm
Appftw wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:26 pm

They actually have a captive on campus student base in dorms and apartments. I think that they have a more traditional campus life than Georgia State. They are also the only major football in town.
They actually don't. I know that their alumni will practically throw tantrums claiming they aren't a commuter school anymore, but they're not telling the truth. Here are the numbers (according to US News):

UNCC undergrad student population is 23,914. 24% live on-campus and 76% live off-campus. Thus they have 5,739 students living on campus. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/unc-charlotte-2975

Georgia State, meanwhile has an undergrad student body of 25,970 with 22% living on-campus and 78% off-campus for a total of 5,713 students on campus. Only 20 less than UNCC. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ge ... rsity-1574

I'm sick of all the myths about Charlotte's "potential". They are nothing but Georgia State with a crappier basketball program.
This just goes to show that you can make stats say anything you want.
Charlotte vs. Georgia State is night and day. Charlotte has a suburban campus that is a real campus with plenty of acreage and all of it's facilities on the main campus. Yes, it's much more of a commuter school than ASU (and I'll knock it for that), but I guarantee that if you look at off-campus students, it's still a lot more like ASU than it is Georgia State.
Georgia State just recently purchased Turner Field to give it some sort of campus at all.

Yes, the college experience in Boone is better and students don't flock from campus as soon as classes are over.

Most importantly, two more road games that are a 10 minute commute and an easy tailgate!
I don’t really understand what you’re refuting here. You’re saying off campus students are better off at UNCC than Ga State? How is being suburban a plus? Especially since UNCC does not market themselves as a suburban university

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:29 am

UNCC has a beautiful sprawling campus in a suburban setting. Appalachian has a beautiful compact campus in an idyllic setting and is the central hub of a community. Therein lies the cultural difference between the two. Its what makes Boone and App a special place.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”