Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Love Eric Church but damn it stop

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Love Eric Church but damn it stop

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:56 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:26 am
T-Dog wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:50 am
Ask people who know me. I never trusted him. He said he rooted for the Tar Heels growing up, but App tried to embrace him anyway. I know App fans who got into his music, talking about how good he is, why he was better than every other new country artist, drinking the kool aid, all because he was presented as authentic.

I've been told more times than I care to know "You should like Eric Church, he went to App" or some variation of it.

When he did the "Welcome to the Rock" intro that briefly replaced Sean Connery in 2013, it was no secret the Payroll hated that the fans rejected it.

"An App grad did something nice for his alma-mater and some people on the internet had to ruin it," said Payroll, circa 2013-14.

He was paraded at the Miami game so he could sell way-too-expensive jeans with his logo on it to App fans.

I understand he's done good things for App behind the scenes. I've been told that many times. But it's all behind the scenes so he doesn't trigger his Sky Blue friends, IMO.

He represents a number of App fans we don't want to admit exists. The ones who wear their black and gold from August through November, then dust off their blue argyle in November and keep their black and gold in the closet until July. The ones who didn't want App to move to FBS because secretly, they would rather have their FCS team and their FBS team with that barrier between them.

To me, he was never a traitor because he was never an authentic App fan.
Props to T-Dog, could not have said it better myself!

GTH Carolina, give me the Black & Gold over EVERYBODY.

GO APPS!!
Amen to both of your comments. :!:
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:14 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:02 pm
Plenty of people only align themselves with App when it's convenient for them. I guess we should cast them all out. Ban them from the campus.
Your flair for the dramatic rivals those in this thread calling EC a "traitor" and "Uncle Tom."

That said, I agree with you that it is unfair to expect everyone to have undying loyalty to their alma mater. If that were so, App Nation would not have Daphne Urquhart, known to many on this board, in its ranks, and many other Adopted Mountaineers.

I do think it is fair for App fans to feel a sense of disappointment that Eric Church chooses to hold himself out as a Tar Heel fan -- after all, App doesn't get too many celebrity alumni, and UNC has an embarrassment of riches in that department. But, he is free to root for whoever he wants, and "traitor/Uncle Tom" is not justified, IMO, since he never declared his exclusive loyalty to App in the first place. A diploma is not a binding contract for undying loyalty.

As one of the smaller state schools, we have a unique relationship with the big boys in the Triangle that soak up funding for themselves, often at the direct expense of Appalachian and the other smaller schools. This is objectively true when you look at per-student school funding in the UNC System. Appalachian received the least amount per student in the system.

I suspect most dual UNC/App fans do not understand this dynamic. Even if they did, it would probably not sway them to cease Tar Heel fandom. But this relationship between schools is important to understanding why App fans feel a sting every time they see what could have been our golden boy wearing Carolina blue. Especially considering how much Appalachian tried to incorporate EC into game day, via the short-lived video and clothing line. I doubt too many schools have a celebrity alum featured on apparel who also make appearances at a rival school.

(Oddly enough, Georgia Southern knows exactly how we feel. They're in the same boat with Luke Bryan and UGA).

It is time to let go of the Eric Church issue. He's a solid country musician, and I'd love it if he came to Chapel Hill this fall decked out in Black and Gold. Maybe he'll "see the light" after we roll the Heels this September. I doubt it, but it's not a big deal either way.

For me, it's Luke Combs.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Really lost respect for church after this . Of all years for this to happen .
Last edited by mountaineerman on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Without bothering to read all the predictable posts, a modest suggestion:

Perhaps we should all support a fellow App if we are so inclined, enjoy his music if it suits our taste, appreciate his support of the program, and just accept that he is also a big Carolina fan and live with it since it really has no effect on any of our lives anyway.

Personally I’m not a country guy so I don’t care much about him anyway. But it’s cool that an App guy has done so well and it’s probably best not to tear him down over petty stuff. (Actually a good rule for life in general.)

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Just curious what direction this thread would have taken had we been talking about Eric Church having dual loyalties with App and Georgia Southern or in the bygone days with App and Furple. Just a rhetorical question.
Google SUX

ASUDieHard

Unread post by ASUDieHard » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:58 pm

I long ago accepted the fact that we're going to have alums who like other teams as well as ASU, or maybe even instead of ASU. I don't like it, but I've accepted it. We all know the drill....Most everyone who grows up a sports fan, and then attends App, already has a favorite college team that isn't App, and those teams are normally going to be UNC, Duke, NC St, Clemson, etc. And it's hard for a lot of them to shake those loyalties. Sadly, that can and does include any alumni who hit the big time. I don't like to see Eric Church, or any other App alum, at an event like that any more than anyone else, but being a fan doesn't bother me as much as any funds going their way from any App alumni. The rich get richer, in part at the hands of one of our alums, is frustrating. Hopefully, he still finds some cash to send our way as well. For what it's worth, I know Coach Drink had a meeting with him prior to the Yosef Spring stop in Charlotte. Not sure what, if anything, came from that, but at least he's not turning his back on ASU totally.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:31 pm

To each his own. My heart will always be a Mountaineer! Go Apps! #BeatETSU, #BeatUNCC and #BeatTheCrapOutOfThoseTarholes
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:21 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:14 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:02 pm
Plenty of people only align themselves with App when it's convenient for them. I guess we should cast them all out. Ban them from the campus.

(Oddly enough, Georgia Southern knows exactly how we feel. They're in the same boat with Luke Bryan and UGA).

The fact that this situation makes us have something on common with Fail Southern is want really gets in my crawl.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 am

I do understand folks not liking the fact that ANY fans pulls for UNC. I'm even in that category! I understand feeling that disgust in the pit of your stomach seeing a celebrity alum supporting our cheating "flagship" university. All I can say is that, for ANY App alum who wears baby blue when App plays UNC this fall....I hope App puts on a clinic and destroys the Tarheels. I'm I'm not talking about a last minute field goal (although I'll take any win), but I hope we dominate them so that those folks actually feel silly for making the ludicrous choice to NOT support their own alma mater.

I (sort of) offer a pass on the attitude above for any alum who is wearing that baby blue color ONLY because they have a child currently attending UNC.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:34 am

Just an FYI, FWIW, I was curious and looked in a game program from last season and EC is listed in the "Yosef's Circle" level of Yosef Club contributors. Not sure how much money that translates to but the number of contributors at his level is relatively short. There are two levels above his but those lists are even way shorter so it's a relatively small group considering the size of our alumni base. Based on that, we can surmise that he is among our highest contributors to the YC. I would also assume that doesn't include whatever revenues the school gets from the co-branded merchandise with him.
Who knows what else he's done so, again, I'm not sure attacking the guy is the way to go. I'm reminded of an old corporate (anti-)motivational saying: "The beatings will continue until moral improves!"
I also wonder if he became friends with Mack Brown because of Mack's association and friendship with App at high-level events. I know EC is a Tar Heel fan also, but he could be actual friends with Mack who invited EC to an event.
Again, I'm not sure attacking a celebrity alumnus, high-level donor, is our smartest move here.
And I'm neither a country music, nor a Tar Heel fan.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:02 am

This thread will be worth it if we can finally rid ourselves of the lame Connery bit.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:12 am

Disappointing. Not surprising.Been dealing with these types for over half a century....

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:40 am

Also....for the record, EC hasn't actually supported UNC in a head to head against the Mountaineers on the football field to my knowledge. I don't know where he comes down on that. I just don't think complaining on the message boards accomplishes anything. I hope App does the talking on the field.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:33 pm

I don't doubt he wants to support his alma mater and that App is something he holds dear. Yet it's obvious he's a UNC fan first. It's the fence riding that seems to hurt our fans the most. He's an outward UNC fan with no other obvious connection than the Walmart type fandom we all loathe. He makes appearances at our games, but, when the national spotlight is on you'd never know he went to App. I appreciate what he's done and hope we continue to receive his support. However, when compared, Luke Combs has definitely set the bar for celebrity alum.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:34 am
Just an FYI, FWIW, I was curious and looked in a game program from last season and EC is listed in the "Yosef's Circle" level of Yosef Club contributors. Not sure how much money that translates to but the number of contributors at his level is relatively short. There are two levels above his but those lists are even way shorter so it's a relatively small group considering the size of our alumni base. Based on that, we can surmise that he is among our highest contributors to the YC. I would also assume that doesn't include whatever revenues the school gets from the co-branded merchandise with him.
Who knows what else he's done so, again, I'm not sure attacking the guy is the way to go. I'm reminded of an old corporate (anti-)motivational saying: "The beatings will continue until moral improves!"
I also wonder if he became friends with Mack Brown because of Mack's association and friendship with App at high-level events. I know EC is a Tar Heel fan also, but he could be actual friends with Mack who invited EC to an event.
Again, I'm not sure attacking a celebrity alumnus, high-level donor, is our smartest move here.
You make some great points, Rick, but I just wonder how much, if any, he gave to UNC.
Google SUX

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:04 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:55 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:34 am
You make some great points, Rick, but I just wonder how much, if any, he gave to UNC.
So, we're going to be effective by bullying the guy into contributing more to App? In my experience those kinds of tactics are usually not effective. I will stay grateful for his support and contributions and overlook his additional support of UNC.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:27 pm

Save all the vitriol for game day comments. If he tweets support for us or sits with us then all is forgiven. If he socializes with the UNC crowd, voices any support, off with his head. If he doesn’t support App pre game he’s dead to me. If he doesn’t tweet anything he’s dead to me. Doug Gillen should invite him to what ever box we can get and see where his response lies.

I wasn’t an App fan until I went to App. I was a Duke fan. Now I have only one allegiance but Im not exercised about Chirch til he has to make a choice.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:34 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:27 pm
Save all the vitriol for game day comments. If he tweets support for us or sits with us then all is forgiven. If he socializes with the UNC crowd, voices any support, off with his head. If he doesn’t support App pre game he’s dead to me. If he doesn’t tweet anything he’s dead to me. Doug Gillen should invite him to what ever box we can get and see where his response lies.

I wasn’t an App fan until I went to App. I was a Duke fan. Now I have only one allegiance but Im not exercised about Chirch til he has to make a choice.
If yew dittin' come out of yer maw's womb wearin' black and gold YOU CAN GIITTT OUTTTT.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:34 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:27 pm

If yew dittin' come out of yer maw's womb wearin' black and gold YOU CAN GIITTT OUTTTT.
Listen....it was almost purple and gold...my parents went to WCTC

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:50 pm

Rek, we finally have something in common, when you say:
"I wasn’t an App fan until I went to App. I was a Duke fan."

The only exception to that is I still have some allegiance to my school where I got my master's. Now, the only time I pay attention to Duke is when they play or are about to play the Holes.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”