Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Love Eric Church but damn it stop

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Love Eric Church but damn it stop

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:28 am

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:14 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:02 pm
Plenty of people only align themselves with App when it's convenient for them. I guess we should cast them all out. Ban them from the campus.
Your flair for the dramatic rivals those in this thread calling EC a "traitor" and "Uncle Tom."

That said, I agree with you that it is unfair to expect everyone to have undying loyalty to their alma mater. If that were so, App Nation would not have Daphne Urquhart, known to many on this board, in its ranks, and many other Adopted Mountaineers.

I do think it is fair for App fans to feel a sense of disappointment that Eric Church chooses to hold himself out as a Tar Heel fan -- after all, App doesn't get too many celebrity alumni, and UNC has an embarrassment of riches in that department. But, he is free to root for whoever he wants, and "traitor/Uncle Tom" is not justified, IMO, since he never declared his exclusive loyalty to App in the first place. A diploma is not a binding contract for undying loyalty.

As one of the smaller state schools, we have a unique relationship with the big boys in the Triangle that soak up funding for themselves, often at the direct expense of Appalachian and the other smaller schools. This is objectively true when you look at per-student school funding in the UNC System. Appalachian received the least amount per student in the system.

I suspect most dual UNC/App fans do not understand this dynamic. Even if they did, it would probably not sway them to cease Tar Heel fandom. But this relationship between schools is important to understanding why App fans feel a sting every time they see what could have been our golden boy wearing Carolina blue. Especially considering how much Appalachian tried to incorporate EC into game day, via the short-lived video and clothing line. I doubt too many schools have a celebrity alum featured on apparel who also make appearances at a rival school.

(Oddly enough, Georgia Southern knows exactly how we feel. They're in the same boat with Luke Bryan and UGA).

It is time to let go of the Eric Church issue. He's a solid country musician, and I'd love it if he came to Chapel Hill this fall decked out in Black and Gold. Maybe he'll "see the light" after we roll the Heels this September. I doubt it, but it's not a big deal either way.

For me, it's Luke Combs.
I'm with you on all of this. I want to hang 50 on UNC and pound them good regardless of Eric Church. I could see him wearing an App shirt and UNC hat or perhaps even cheer for each team for a half. What he does will not effect how bad I want to beat UNC. There is nothing they could do to make me want a win worse than I do now. I would gladly lose to Troy to beat UNC and South Carolina. We have not been able to knock off a P5 and this year there is no reason why we can't beat UNC as long as we are healthy. I would say I just want a win (and I'll be happy if we win by one) but I really really want to win by double digits. I feel like we are the better team and don't want to leave any doubt that we are.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:32 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:40 am
Also....for the record, EC hasn't actually supported UNC in a head to head against the Mountaineers on the football field to my knowledge. I don't know where he comes down on that. I just don't think complaining on the message boards accomplishes anything. I hope App does the talking on the field.
Same here. I'm not saying a word to any UNC fans but will let our players do the talking. I hope they overlook us and think they have this game in the bag. We have some special talent that I would gladly walk in to any ACC stadium, except for Clemson, and feel like we should have a shot. If any App fans does not think we can win this game they need to wake up. UNC has some talent but so do we. Just because we haven't beaten a P5 before doesn't mean we can't. I 100% believe this team will get that P5 win this year as long as we are healthy.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:44 am

And just what degree did Eric Church earn at Appalachian State?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:37 am

yikas1 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:44 am
https://today.appstate.edu/2013/02/28/eric-church

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:25 am

You guys know it's okay for folks to like multiple things in life, right?

He's a celebrity figure, he can do what he wants and do what's best for his overall brand. If that means showing some support at a university that isn't where he got his degree, it's okay.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:08 am

yikas1 wrote:
Marketing

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 am

yikas1 wrote:
Treason!! :lol:

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:07 pm

As I reflect on comments It’s time to terminate this thread until after the game.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:32 pm

I don't think any of you need to worry about Church getting offended on YC by any of these comments. If you want to offend him, post it on IC.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Doc Watson. Doc. Watson. Doc.... Watson.... Doc Watson, Doc Watson, Doc Watson.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:27 pm

asunewbie

Unread post by asunewbie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 pm

You all know that Luke Combs claims UGA football along with App, right?

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Just curious. I have heard that Eric Church is a UNCCheat fan because his father used to take him to games. Is his father an alum of the evil one? My dad is a Wisconsin grad and I will pull for them (except when we play them next year) and would support them financially if I had the means to do so.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:46 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:14 pm
Without bothering to read all the predictable posts, a modest suggestion:

Perhaps we should all support a fellow App if we are so inclined, enjoy his music if it suits our taste, appreciate his support of the program, and just accept that he is also a big Carolina fan and live with it since it really has no effect on any of our lives anyway.

Personally I’m not a country guy so I don’t care much about him anyway. But it’s cool that an App guy has done so well and it’s probably best not to tear him down over petty stuff. (Actually a good rule for life in general.)
Most educated statement in this thread.

Who EC pulls for on September 21st has 0, ZERO, affect on the outcome of the game.
Some of y'all need to get over yourselves. Lets just enjoy this football please.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:48 am

asunewbie wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 pm
You all know that Luke Combs claims UGA football along with App, right?

Found it interesting that Luke’s Instagram has at least 2 pics of EC and he’s wearing an App hat in one of the two

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 am

Off subject but on the topic of Eric Church I see a lot of folks say, “I’m not a country guy”, so I don’t really care about Eric Church. If you love music and your not listening to EC because you don’t like country your missing out. EC defiantly has some country songs but a whole lot of his new music simply doesn’t fit in any category. He works with and is a fabulous song writer. Many of his song lyrics paint vivid pictures. These are a few of my favorites, Mistress named music, Kill a word, Hippie radio, Three year old, Chattanooga Lucy and That’s damn rock and roll. Again, if you like good music don’t let yourself be turned off by the “ country” thing.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:14 pm

For most modern day "country" I have to agree with Tom Petty.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ce-122003/

"He didn’t always dig today’s sound. During the final hour of a five-night residency at the Beacon Theatre in May 2013, Petty told a sold-out crowd of New Yorkers that modern country music sounded like “bad rock with a fiddle.” "

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Love me some Tom Petty and I don’t disagree, “most”, modern day country is pretty bad. I don’t listen to much country but EC puts out some good music. Just read the lyrics to any of the songs I mentioned above.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 am
Off subject but on the topic of Eric Church I see a lot of folks say, “I’m not a country guy”, so I don’t really care about Eric Church. If you love music and your not listening to EC because you don’t like country your missing out. EC defiantly has some country songs but a whole lot of his new music simply doesn’t fit in any category. He works with and is a fabulous song writer. Many of his song lyrics paint vivid pictures. These are a few of my favorites, Mistress named music, Kill a word, Hippie radio, Three year old, Chattanooga Lucy and That’s damn rock and roll. Again, if you like good music don’t let yourself be turned off by the “ country” thing.
Good lyrics alone does not push the needle for me in regards to good music. I haven't given him a chance, yet, so maybe I will. But if it is a lot of steel guitar, drums, bass guitar and a synthesizer, it probably won't do it for me. If I'm looking for good lyrics and a beat, give me Dre or Ice Cube.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:07 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:14 pm
For most modern day "country" I have to agree with Tom Petty.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ce-122003/

"He didn’t always dig today’s sound. During the final hour of a five-night residency at the Beacon Theatre in May 2013, Petty told a sold-out crowd of New Yorkers that modern country music sounded like “bad rock with a fiddle.” "
He should have added bad rock with a "bad" fiddle, lol!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”