Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Love Eric Church but damn it stop

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Love Eric Church but damn it stop

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:52 am

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:34 am
I’m sure it didn’t help that a bunch of idiots got mad that we replaced the clip from that 90’s Nick Cage movie with a clip of Eric Church. That must have chilled his enthusiasm for his alma mater and for that I don’t blame him.

That said, supporting UNC is treason. We’ve been over this 1,000 times. Most notably, the Tar Heel-stuffed Board of Governors (and the legislature) spend less money per student on Appalachian than they do ANY of the 16 other UNC system schools. UNC is so corrupt they got away with the biggest academic fraud scandal in US History. They’ve only recently agreed to finally play us in football. Every ounce of energy and every dime spent in support of their bloated, baby blue purse deprives Appalachian, who is desperately in need of those things, of the same.

There are very real, palpable reasons to despise UNC Chapel Hill if you really support App State. I call “duel-fans” of App and UNC Uncle Toms for a reason. They are complicit in their own subjugation.

*u*k UNC
You do you bro. I thought that you were on the side of tolerance. Guess not.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:19 am

I know one thing for certain: Eric Church cares less about what I think, than I care about what he thinks (which is a couple lines on a message board before I get on with more important spring Saturday things — so, not that much).

From our perspective, the optics are terrible. When was the last time we’ve seen a picture of our most famous graduate with one of our coaches? People around here know he went to App, but here is a picture of him with the coach of CHeat in a year where we play CHeat for the first time in our lifetimes. Maybe he has been around and we haven’t released a picture, but we are pretty open with Luke Combs, so I have to assume we’d do the same with EC — which probably means he’s not doing much of anything — if that for App. His prerogative. My prerogative is to choose to spend my money on concerts, music purchases, merch, etc. on the artist who proudly shows his love for Appalachian State.

The guy in the above picture will have a choice to make come September. It’s late in the third quarter; CHeat leads by three points, but App is in the red zone. What will he feel? When ZT hits Corey Sutton in the corner of the end zone for the go-ahead score, will he jump up and hug his friends? Will he let out a $&@!$ as he flashes a surrender cobra? Will he sit there in silence like he’s covering the game for the Charlotte Observer? Only one of those is the correct answer for Appalachian State.

That he, and scores of other App graduates, have to answer this question is quite sad. A man I follow once said that “one cannot serve two masters,” a choice will have to be made. Either he will make the choice, or time will make it for him.

We’ll find out in September. Not only for EC, but for many others.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:39 am

Started this one time before and this looks like a good time to start it again. We really need to get ride of the Sean Connery “welcome to the rock” intro. Connery has nothing to do with App. State. We need to keep “welcome to the rock” but App. People need to deliver the line. A few suggestions, Jerry Moore, AE, Eric Church, Luke Combs, Cory Lynch. I really think we should have a “fan or alum of the game” deliver the line. Differant folks each time. I know some folks love the Connery bit and I know it has history but to me it makes us look like, well, and FCS program. I really liked the Church intro, I thought the outsiders them fit well, but I am a big fan of his music. If you’ve never seen him live he puts on a fantastic show.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:57 am

Really though, who supports UNC football?? UNC grads don’t even do that

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:23 am

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:50 am
Ask people who know me. I never trusted him. He said he rooted for the Tar Heels growing up, but App tried to embrace him anyway. I know App fans who got into his music, talking about how good he is, why he was better than every other new country artist, drinking the kool aid, all because he was presented as authentic.

I've been told more times than I care to know "You should like Eric Church, he went to App" or some variation of it.

When he did the "Welcome to the Rock" intro that briefly replaced Sean Connery in 2013, it was no secret the Payroll hated that the fans rejected it.

"An App grad did something nice for his alma-mater and some people on the internet had to ruin it," said Payroll, circa 2013-14.

He was paraded at the Miami game so he could sell way-too-expensive jeans with his logo on it to App fans.

I understand he's done good things for App behind the scenes. I've been told that many times. But it's all behind the scenes so he doesn't trigger his Sky Blue friends, IMO.

He represents a number of App fans we don't want to admit exists. The ones who wear their black and gold from August through November, then dust off their blue argyle in November and keep their black and gold in the closet until July. The ones who didn't want App to move to FBS because secretly, they would rather have their FCS team and their FBS team with that barrier between them.

To me, he was never a traitor because he was never an authentic App fan.
Thank you! Exactly what I've been saying for years. What makes us Real App Fans special is our authenticity and we all can decipher between the Real and Fake fans. I was so ticked off at that Miami game that he was using that platform to pedal his ****. My wife still laughs about my reaction.

I've posted about this too many times, hopefully that picture along with T-Dogs thorough statement gets some of you "Church" guys to see him through clearer glasses. Luke Combs, that's a true App guy if we want to cling on to a country artist.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:46 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:39 am
Started this one time before and this looks like a good time to start it again. We really need to get ride of the Sean Connery “welcome to the rock” intro. Connery has nothing to do with App. State. We need to keep “welcome to the rock” but App. People need to deliver the line. A few suggestions, Jerry Moore, AE, Eric Church, Luke Combs, Cory Lynch. I really think we should have a “fan or alum of the game” deliver the line. Differant folks each time. I know some folks love the Connery bit and I know it has history but to me it makes us look like, well, and FCS program. I really liked the Church intro, I thought the outsiders them fit well, but I am a big fan of his music. If you’ve never seen him live he puts on a fantastic show.
Like the "fan idea" having a fan do it every game. That'd be like the siren at the Canes game or the Keep Pounding drum at Panthers. I'm going to mention this to some folks over there...
The Appalachian State

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 am

If I was offered a million dollars to identify the men in that picture without any reference, I would not get a million dollars. I guess I have bad taste in alumni and music.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:52 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:23 am
T-Dog wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:50 am
Ask people who know me. I never trusted him. He said he rooted for the Tar Heels growing up, but App tried to embrace him anyway. I know App fans who got into his music, talking about how good he is, why he was better than every other new country artist, drinking the kool aid, all because he was presented as authentic.

I've been told more times than I care to know "You should like Eric Church, he went to App" or some variation of it.

When he did the "Welcome to the Rock" intro that briefly replaced Sean Connery in 2013, it was no secret the Payroll hated that the fans rejected it.

"An App grad did something nice for his alma-mater and some people on the internet had to ruin it," said Payroll, circa 2013-14.

He was paraded at the Miami game so he could sell way-too-expensive jeans with his logo on it to App fans.

I understand he's done good things for App behind the scenes. I've been told that many times. But it's all behind the scenes so he doesn't trigger his Sky Blue friends, IMO.

He represents a number of App fans we don't want to admit exists. The ones who wear their black and gold from August through November, then dust off their blue argyle in November and keep their black and gold in the closet until July. The ones who didn't want App to move to FBS because secretly, they would rather have their FCS team and their FBS team with that barrier between them.

To me, he was never a traitor because he was never an authentic App fan.
Thank you! Exactly what I've been saying for years. What makes us Real App Fans special is our authenticity and we all can decipher between the Real and Fake fans. I was so ticked off at that Miami game that he was using that platform to pedal his ****. My wife still laughs about my reaction.

I've posted about this too many times, hopefully that picture along with T-Dogs thorough statement gets some of you "Church" guys to see him through clearer glasses. Luke Combs, that's a true App guy if we want to cling on to a country artist.
This type of thinking is far more likely to get Church to donate more to UNC and less to App, than the other way around. Would you feel the same way if he was cozied up with Dave Doeren? Like who you like, watch who you want to watch, this is nothing more than an inferiority complex that plays itself out all over the country for those that aren't part of the flagship school for the state. There is a pecking order for all things in the education system and if you ain't at the top, then the system is broken.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Would you feel the same way if he was cozied up with Dave Doeren?

Yes!! Don’t care if it’s Dave Doeren, Coach K, Roy Williams. It shouldn’t be happening.

I despise that excuse, like we would only be outraged cause it’s unc-cheat. I cheer for App State, and only App State... Duke sucks, unc-cheat sucks, ncsu sucks, wake sucks, ezu sucks, Charlotte sucks, etc.

App State over EVERYBODY.

GO APPS!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:17 pm

I don't subscribe to the idea of Church seeing App fans seemingly being ungrateful to him and turning away. If that happens, that's more on him and his priories than anything else.

There are/have been many aspects of App Athletics I don't like or wish were better such as coaches poli,cies, ticket hikes, etc, but I've been to more App sporting events than 98 percent of App fans in the last 10 years.

He's actively helping a rival school in their recruiting. And yes, App and Chapel Hill are going after some of the same recruits, so they're a rival school.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:28 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:15 pm
Would you feel the same way if he was cozied up with Dave Doeren?

Yes!! Don’t care if it’s Dave Doeren, Coach K, Roy Williams. It shouldn’t be happening.

I despise that excuse, like we would only be outraged cause it’s unc-cheat. I cheer for App State, and only App State... Duke sucks, unc-cheat sucks, ncsu sucks, wake sucks, ezu sucks, Charlotte sucks, etc.

App State over EVERYBODY.

GO APPS!!
App State over everybody and everyone else suck is not the same thing. I watch and root for several different programs for various reasons. I support only one school financially through donations and will root for the Black and Gold if the two meet in competition. That being said, I am going to thank those that contribute to App rather than shame them for their support of other endeavors.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:43 am
Yes, he’s free to be a disloyal prick and we’re free to complain about it.

I don’t think Eric Church reads YC and if I worked in fundraising at App I wouldn’t approach him this way.

Come on, man.
Come on, man what?

I still think that if you guys truly think that anyone who donates to another school is some kind of disloyal traitor you should speak to the Belk family and many others and tell them you think they are disloyal pricks for donating to a school other than App State. Tell them to take their money back. They aren't the only big donor who has donated to multiple schools over the years. You can't just apply your ridiculous sentiments to one donor and not all the other "disloyal pricks" who donate to schools other than App.

If you wouldn't approach him like this in a fundraising capacity then why are you being a two faced person on here? You should tell him directly to his face. If you are saying that you wouldn't do it in a fundraising capacity that means you are glad to take his money but then trash talk him on an internet forum? Is that really what our fans have come to be?

It doesn't matter if Church doesn't read this forum, plenty of other people do. This is probably the largest forum of App fans on the internet so to the outsider the views spouted on here are setting opinions of others.

But I guess you guys are right, lets flip the bird to any and all who Dare donate money to another school besides Czar Appalachian. Lets burn their houses down and then throw their families in to a forced labor camp for their lack of loyalty. Please, get over yourselves.

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:51 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:46 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:39 am
Like the "fan idea" having a fan do it every game. That'd be like the siren at the Canes game or the Keep Pounding drum at Panthers. I'm going to mention this to some folks over there...
I absolutely love this idea! Ronald Blair Kendall Lamm they are proud App Alumni. Check out what Kendall was wearing when he signed his Cleveland contract. There are enough proud App alums out there to fill all the games. As for Church it isn’t good he likes Carolina but all you guys so upset is even worse. You all sound like a bunch of little man syndrome guys. Thicken up your skin and get your panties out of a wad.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:04 pm

I was listening to XM radio a couple weeks ago and just happened to catch the beginning of Luke Combs’ concert at Red Rocks. He was introducing a song off his new album then talked about growing up in NC, then he talked about Boone and Appalachian specifically. He is a great ambassador and truly seems to be an App fan in every way.
I like Eric Church’s music and haven’t been as irritated as some about his Tarhole love, but this one is different. On the year App plays UNC, it makes it a lot harder pull to swallow. What would it do for App and our team for that same photo Op to be posted with Coach Drink about App state? It would be nice for at least equal support and publicity with his alma mater.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:27 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:39 pm
I still think that if you guys truly think that anyone who donates to another school is some kind of disloyal traitor you should speak to the Belk family and many others and tell them you think they are disloyal pricks for donating to a school other than App State.
Donating money is not the issue being discussed here. We don't know even know if EC has ever donated to the Yosef Club or Rams Club.

The Belk family donated money to many schools, as you said. EC only donates his celebrity (in meaningful ways) to UNC.

EC seemingly took the first chance he could to stick his neck out for Mack and UNC Football, and has never done so (correct me if I'm wrong) for Appalachian Athletics. To my knowledge, the only times he aligns himself with Appalachian is when it is convenient for him -- a tweet during a big game, or flipping the coin as we hosted #25 Miami on ESPN

The Belk Family's contributions to Appalachian are tangible and lasting. I'm not sure EC has contributed much to App at all -- unless you count a short-lived hype video and an unimpressive clothing line that I'm sure he received royalties for.

All this to say... EC and the Belk Family are not comparable in their contributions to Appalachian.

This does not upset me, because (as TK said above), Eric Church has never held himself out as an App State diehard. He's been a Tar Heel first, from day one. So this so-called "betrayal" doesn't sting, because he was never one of us to begin with.

I think it is time to give Luke Combs top billing in our black-and-gold hearts, and not waste any more tears on EC.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Yes, the Belk family donates alot around to NC schools.... In fact, they will be at the same event at UNCC tonight as me. But they do it for PR reasons, not sure what Church's intentions are. I'll be at a UNCC fundraiser due to work reasons, but there is never a doubt where my loyalties lie. Most of their athletic department knows me and we talk smack all year long. Same with my job, I work for a large corporation and am known throughout the company and among my client base as a diehard App fan. I wear that as a badge of honor.

Church can support area schools, but there should never be a question of where his loyalty lies. Unfortunately 98% of his fans or casual observers would assume he went to Chapel Hill.
The Appalachian State

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:02 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:38 pm
Yes, the Belk family donates alot around to NC schools.... In fact, they will be at the same event at UNCC tonight as me. But they do it for PR reasons, not sure what Church's intentions are. I'll be at a UNCC fundraiser due to work reasons, but there is never a doubt where my loyalties lie. Most of their athletic department knows me and we talk smack all year long. Same with my job, I work for a large corporation and am known throughout the company and among my client base as a diehard App fan. I wear that as a badge of honor.

Church can support area schools, but there should never be a question of where his loyalty lies. Unfortunately 98% of his fans or casual observers would assume he went to Chapel Hill.
You guys should seriously go tell him all this to his face. Like it was said earlier, anytime he shows his face in a pic there is a thread on here of people crying about. PLEASE go tell him to his face, All of you. Write him letters of your disappointment. Give him frownie faces on his posts. Stand outside his concerts and picket, calling him a traitor. Once again this absurd assumption that just because you went to a college you should spend the rest of your life as a loyal subject is above and beyond ridiculous. If y'all truly believe this than raise your pitchforks and protest outside his house. Lets let everyone on this earth know that if we perceive you as disloyal than you are a prick and should be castrated. I guess we will all be goose stepping in and out of the stadium next year.
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:27 pm

The Belk family donated money to many schools, as you said. EC only donates his celebrity (in meaningful ways) to UNC.

EC seemingly took the first chance he could to stick his neck out for Mack and UNC Football, and has never done so (correct me if I'm wrong) for Appalachian Athletics. To my knowledge, the only times he aligns himself with Appalachian is when it is convenient for him -- a tweet during a big game, or flipping the coin as we hosted #25 Miami on ESPN

All this to say... EC and the Belk Family are not comparable in their contributions to Appalachian.

I think it is time to give Luke Combs top billing in our black-and-gold hearts, and not waste any more tears on EC.
Contributions of all sizes are valuable whether they are monetary or otherwise. Are the sheer quantities the same? Not even close. Stop trying to justify the absurdity in this thread by trying to create arbitrary categories to prove their point. Contributions are contributions. Does he give more somewhere else, probably. Should that create a diaper crapping fest from App alums? No. He does not owe anything to Appalachian State. No one does. Some choose to contribute back but most do not.

Once again in the top quote this absurd idea of lifelong loyalty is being spewed. Plenty of people only align themselves with App when its convenient for them. I guess we should cast them all out. Ban them from the campus.

On a good note:
I do agree with giving Luke Combs our time is the right move.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Appftw wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:57 am
Really though, who supports UNC football?? UNC grads don’t even do that
Good point

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:22 pm

If you can’t tell the difference between old-money education philanthropists and alumni donors then I don’t think we’re in a position to have a productive conversation.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:22 pm
If you can’t tell the difference between old-money education philanthropists and alumni donors then I don’t think we’re in a position to have a productive conversation.
I can tell the difference. Thank you for the attempt to belittle me. I figured you would be the first one to drop to that level. I guess I am just too ignorant to have a conversation with you then. If it isn't your viewpoint then I am wrong. I understand. I'll show myself the door on this thread and let y'all continue to represent ASU in the best ways possible.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”