Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appalachian Unpopular Opinions

GreatAppSt
School: Appalachian State

Re: Appalachian Unpopular Opinions

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:56 pm

No one likes the GAS Countdown anyway.

Antlers68

Unread post by Antlers68 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:45 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:07 pm

" Hiring Buzz the second time was a good move. "
Agreed. The comedy value was immense!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:28 am

The “it’s great — to be — a Moooountaineer” chant is annoying and I hate it.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 am

Take “App State” off of everything. We are, and have always been ASU.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:35 am

Pepper's has the best carrot cake in the history of desserts. Overall overrated? Probably. I'll still take a slightly overrated independent place over a great Chili's or Applebees any day though. And I'll go one further on your other point...our all gold, when worn together (jerseys/pants) are some of the worst uni's currently in sports. The gold pants w/ black tops are sweet though. Good post
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 pm
Getting this thread back on track:
-- Peppers is overrated
-- Booneshine makes better beer than AMB
-- The Dexter Coakley-era football uniforms are the best looking we've ever had
-- The current gold helmets and tops have looked good 0 (zero) times (the pants are fine)

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:03 pm

No doubt that the all gold uniforms are a terrible look!

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Armanti was selfish and cut his foot on a beer bottle at a party. Ruined App football for a generation.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:22 pm

This thread could have been interesting.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:25 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 am
Take “App State” off of everything. We are, and have always been ASU.
“App State” is distinctive to us, “ASU” is generic and nobody outside the Watauga Democrat calls us that anymore. (Note: I have no idea if the Democrat actually still uses ASU.)

In fact, I’d support switching KBS to the APPSTATE endzone design from the New Orleans Bowl.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Jerry Moore gets too much credit as the patriarch of App State football. Scott Satterfield did more to build App football - at both the FCS and FBS levels - than Moore ever did, and it’s not all that close. Moore was basically an above-average 1–AA coach until Satt (and Elliot) dragged him into the 21st century and took the program to the next level. On top of that, Moore ran far too loose of a ship in terms of off-field discipline; that was another area that Satt improved significantly.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Even for this topic Jerry Moore is off limits..................

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Not an unpopular opinion but man it kinda stings to see Chris Pollard doing what he is with Duke baseball. I imagine I’ll feel the same if Satt succeeds at a high level at UL. It sucks being these schools training grounds for their coaches.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:27 am

Seeing Pollard succeed at Duke wouldn't be nearly as painful if his successor here at App hadn't tanked. As Smith gets things back on track, we will get more perspective.

I think we will be able to accept Satterfield's success (hopefully) at Louisville because App football will continue to rise. At least, that's the early indicator. The reality of being a G5 program is that we don't have the budget to keep these highly successful coaches indefinitely. I don't think we have to look at a 3 year cycle, but if we get 5 years out of a successful coach we should consider ourselves very lucky.

We are fortunate right now to have a very good AD. That's the single most important factor in our sustained success because that's the person who will ultimately maintain the culture and make the good hires that keeps the magic on the mountain. Let's just hope that Basketball and Baseball can find some of that magic.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:05 am

I said this a few days ago, I'm not sure Satterfield will be successful at Louisville.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:43 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:05 am
I said this a few days ago, I'm not sure Satterfield will be successful at Louisville.
Agree. He won't be able to get away with the mental mistakes and undisciplined penalties that were hallmarks of his teams here. Will need to mix up that play calling too. He's in the tough side of the ACC too

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:59 am

canes_mj wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:43 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Agree. He won't be able to get away with the mental mistakes and undisciplined penalties that were hallmarks of his teams here. Will need to mix up that play calling too. He's in the tough side of the ACC too
Thanks, and in keeping with this thread (and giving him credit for the good job he did at App): Here he took over a program in solid shape and a program he was extremely familiar with. That's not the case in Louisville. Also, the transition to the Sun Belt wasn't overwhelming given the state of our program (anyone think we would have wone 8 games a year in the AAC?). Finally, there were more "yikes losses" under him--Arkansas St., Tennessee (that was a bit of a choke-job), Miami (we were so over our heads), Wake, and Umass--than there were "wow wins".

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:26 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:59 am
canes_mj wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:43 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thanks, and in keeping with this thread (and giving him credit for the good job he did at App): Here he took over a program in solid shape and a program he was extremely familiar with. That's not the case in Louisville. Also, the transition to the Sun Belt wasn't overwhelming given the state of our program (anyone think we would have wone 8 games a year in the AAC?). Finally, there were more "yikes losses" under him--Arkansas St., Tennessee (that was a bit of a choke-job), Miami (we were so over our heads), Wake, and Umass--than there were "wow wins".
I actually think the FCS->FBS transition is the best thing that he did. He was replacing a legendary coach that the players loved who was let go in a somewhat controversial manner which didn't sit well with a large part of the fan base. On field, things had gotten a little loose the last 2 yrs under Jerry. Then Satt gets off to a terrible start, but holds it together and turns it around...team could have mutinied...and improves every year.

I'm with you on the SMH losses. And I can't point to any win where I was like "wow great coaching" by him...but he's got the numbers, and he got us the 3 SB titles. Whatever he did, it worked. So I didn't mean to sound like a was totally down on him. I wish we could have kept him. But I just don't think it's going to go well at Louisville. I think G5 is his sweet spot.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:52 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
I agree, although I don’t agree with any of the subsequent analysis re: mental mistakes, play calling or supposed bad losses. I’m just not sure he will recruit well enough there, or that he built a staff that will do so. And I’m not sure they’ll be patient enough to give him the necessary time for that rebuild.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:48 pm

It’s been said many times. Drink has been handed the keys to a Ferrari (or whatever sweet car you choose)- don’t wreck it. Satt was given the keys to Mercedes- strong and dependable with plenty of miles left. He didn’t really speed but was a very cautious driver. I agree, no fantastic wins and a few very disappointing losses. App is a program that should crank out 8 wins in any year no matter what.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:48 pm
It’s been said many times. Drink has been handed the keys to a Ferrari (or whatever sweet car you choose)- don’t wreck it. Satt was given the keys to Mercedes- strong and dependable with plenty of miles left. He didn’t really speed but was a very cautious driver. I agree, no fantastic wins and a few very disappointing losses. App is a program that should crank out 8 wins in any year no matter what.
I mean... somebody must have built the Ferrari, right?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”