Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appalachian Unpopular Opinions

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: Appalachian Unpopular Opinions

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:23 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:07 am
Gonzo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:08 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:02 am
The Rock wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:35 am
We had plateaued with Satterfield as HC
It’s probably true this is overall unpopular, but I’ve seen a surprising number of people express a similar view.

It’s kind of curious considering Satt’s last team was his best (despite heavy losses from the previous team that had many predicting a semi-rebuilding year). Also considering that his last, best team was his first with a full FBS roster.
We had UT, WFU, and PSU beaten and Satt managed us out of three P5 wins in as many years. There was definitely a glass ceiling that he just couldn’t crack despite winning just about everything he touched at the G5 level.

Drink will beat a P5.
Satt’s clock management against UT was indeed poor. But I thought he improved in that area. We actually managed the last two minutes perfectly against Wake, we just couldn’t make a routine kick. Penn State was probably somewhere in between.

We were also a 2-3 score underdog against both UT and PSU, so if we’re faulting Satt for in-game management, let’s also credit him for building and preparing a team that could punch above its weight.

We have no idea what kind of game manager Drink will be. Hopefully he’s a natural and has no learning curve. I obviously hope we beat both Carolinas, but we should acknowledge that, other than Wake, the P5s Satt faced were on a different level than the ones we’ll play this year. I think we’d have had a solid chance to beat at least one regardless of who our HC is.
I think we were a 3.5 point homedog against Miami in 2016. To me that was embarrassing and the Wake loss was devastating. App needs P5 wins or top 25 discussions are a bit silly and NY6 talk is batshit crazy. Watch Bosie St. at FSU.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:25 am

Gonzo wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
It’s probably true this is overall unpopular, but I’ve seen a surprising number of people express a similar view.

It’s kind of curious considering Satt’s last team was his best (despite heavy losses from the previous team that had many predicting a semi-rebuilding year). Also considering that his last, best team was his first with a full FBS roster.
We had UT, WFU, and PSU beaten and Satt managed us out of three P5 wins in as many years. There was definitely a glass ceiling that he just couldn’t crack despite winning just about everything he touched at the G5 level.

Drink will beat a P5.
Yeah, Satterfield managed us out of that Wake game twice. The first time he jumped off sides on a punt, and then he kicked the ball low and got it blocked....and at TN when he let them fumble forward for the TD in OT...he should have covered that.

Sorry, Gonzo. I know the arguments here but I can't agree. He had us in position to win all three games and we didn't execute on key plays. Execution is on the players. I hate those three losses as much as anybody but they aren't on Satt. Early indications are that Drink will be more aggressive. We all HOPE that it moves us in the right direction. The roster is stacked! Just remember....it's stacked with Satterfield recruits! The rosters that lost to TN, Wake and Penn State weren't as stacked as what we have this year (in terms of experience and depth) so if we are as successful this season as we all HOPE and BELIEVE, then we not only owe Drink a big thanks and know we have another great coach, but we owe a thanks to Satterfield as well.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:40 pm

I do not enjoy the BGP. And I'm not going to discuss why because it won't end well.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:22 pm

I like the Sunbelt.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:04 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:23 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:07 am
Gonzo wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Drink will beat a P5.
Satt’s clock management against UT was indeed poor. But I thought he improved in that area. We actually managed the last two minutes perfectly against Wake, we just couldn’t make a routine kick. Penn State was probably somewhere in between.

We were also a 2-3 score underdog against both UT and PSU, so if we’re faulting Satt for in-game management, let’s also credit him for building and preparing a team that could punch above its weight.

We have no idea what kind of game manager Drink will be. Hopefully he’s a natural and has no learning curve. I obviously hope we beat both Carolinas, but we should acknowledge that, other than Wake, the P5s Satt faced were on a different level than the ones we’ll play this year. I think we’d have had a solid chance to beat at least one regardless of who our HC is.
I think we were a 3.5 point homedog against Miami in 2016. To me that was embarrassing and the Wake loss was devastating. App needs P5 wins or top 25 discussions are a bit silly and NY6 talk is batshit crazy. Watch Bosie St. at FSU.
Completely agree with the last paragraph. If we are in the BCS poll along with P5 schools, we should be considered equally. It doesn't matter if our opponent is P5 or G5, if we don't beat them we should not be ranked ahead of them. We finished ranked higher than both the Heels and Gamecocks last year, being only team of the three also receiving votes in both AP and coaches polls. If we were not expected to win head to head last year then we had no business being ranked higher. As an example, CBS Sports has us ranked 30 in their preseason poll and USC at 49. If anyone at CBS doesn't think we would beat USC then rank us lower or put us in a separate poll. UNC is at 109, 8 places worse than Charlotte! If polls had any bearing on actual team quality we should be 3 TD favorites over the Heels and at least a TD over USC. Yes, these polls will all change after week one and anything preseason is all but meaningless, but if we ranked 1 spot ahead of our opponent we better win. Right now we are ranked higher than anyone we play in 2019.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:01 am

The whole "sandpaper their asses" line was fun and awesome, but I don't want it to become any kind of slogan going forward as it'll become cringe worthy.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:11 am

Okay, these are my honest, possibly unpopular opinions.

1. Kidd Brewer Stadium flat out sucks. If it wasn’t for the location, it’d be one of the ugliest stadiums in FBS. It looks Mickey Mouse and is a constant reminder of a time when we were a borderline D2 team.

2. We would have finished 4th-6th in the AAC this year if we were part of that conference and had to play a schedule similar to ECU.

3. UNCC will get their shit together and become a serious threat to our G5 NC dominance.

4. Building an OOC rivalry with UNCC is a good thing and they have a better long term trajectory than Georgia Southern. We are not above them in the grand scheme of things.

5. Georgia Southern is DEAD WEIGHT as a program and will go the way of ULM/Ark State/MTSU after a couple more years. I do not see them sustaining long term success at the FBS level and moving up for them was a mistake.

6. Trying to rekindle a rivalry with Marshall is dumb. I get the history, but Marshall’s best days are long behind them and we should not be attaching ourselves to them if we are looking to the future.

Thanks.
YNWA

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:21 am

I wish the end zone facility was in the south end zone. Howard Knob can not be seen from the student section now and it kills some of the beauty of the stadium. It was the surrounding views that made and make KBS not the stadium itself
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:14 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:01 am
The whole "sandpaper their asses" line was fun and awesome, but I don't want it to become any kind of slogan going forward as it'll become cringe worthy.
Agree 1,000%. We're better than that and it's also too much like the low-class, tacky GATA thing Ga Southern has. Looks like we're trying to copy them on something.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:04 am

We should play in a dome since we don’t practice outside in bad Boone weather, thus eliminating a huge home field advantage.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:23 am

I 100% agree with shelving the “sandpaper their asses” thing. It’s embarrassing and too “Georgia Southern like”. Basically, it’s classless. We are way better than that.

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:46 am

Some of you worry way too much about Georgia Southern and what their moronic fans will think about something we do. "Sandpaper their ass" is something that is ours and not even close to that stupid GATA thing they have. You people talk about keeping our own traditions all the time. That is a perfect tradition starter right there and y'all are throwing it aside because you're worried about what others will think? And there is nothing "classless" about it...it's freakin hilarious.
Body stuck in Gaston County...heart stuck in Boone! Go Apps!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:55 am

GastonApp09 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:46 am
Some of you worry way too much about Georgia Southern and what their moronic fans will think about something we do. "Sandpaper their ass" is something that is ours and not even close to that stupid GATA thing they have. You people talk about keeping our own traditions all the time. That is a perfect tradition starter right there and y'all are throwing it aside because you're worried about what others will think? And there is nothing "classless" about it...it's freakin hilarious.
I too find it funny. Especially since we are an institution that loves to look fondly back at the days of the moonshiner's and the bootlegger's! The amount of times I've read on this board about putting a still on the hill by the stadium is laughable at best but Sandpaper That Ass is a no go! Some people make me laugh, it's all personal preference at the end of the day. I love the SPTA for this moment in time, it's fun, no one really knows what it means but it gets ya fired up! It will not be our mantra for forever because our program doesn't need mantras outside of TIGMA. We have history and culture on our side. But for now it's time to Sandpaper UABs Ass and go bombs over bagdhad!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:01 am

It’s totally classless as is the bombs over Baghdad thing too. Would you actually be ok with someone holding up a sign saying either on national TV? Not a good look. Nobody cares about what Georgia Southern thinks about us. We are a national brand on a national stage. It’s that perception that matters. But...we are all Mountaineers and all entitled to our opinions. So let’s beat UAB!

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 am

Unpopular Opinion: Reviving 6 month old threads is stupid.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:38 am

appfanjj wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:01 am
It’s totally classless as is the bombs over Baghdad thing too. Would you actually be ok with someone holding up a sign saying either on national TV? Not a good look. Nobody cares about what Georgia Southern thinks about us. We are a national brand on a national stage. It’s that perception that matters. But...we are all Mountaineers and all entitled to our opinions. So let’s beat UAB!
Well they didn't say "bombs on Baghdad". It's just a show of force so we fire them to the desert, you know?

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:41 am

Somebody get the “Safe Spaces” ready. We don’t want to hurt somebody’s feelings with words. SMH
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:44 am

Let’s hit ‘em with some Shock & Awe!

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:49 am

Something for the post game:

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:56 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:45 pm
Going FBS was a mistake. We will never be big time because we can’t beat a P5 school. Trying to be big time leads to threads which include discussions about upcoming opponents beyond the opener. Those discussions are useless because the team and fan base must only think about the FIRST opponent and not even remotely speculate on how the team will fare against any opponent besides the first one.
there's a lot of flaming hot takes on here, but this is by far the hottest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”