Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ETSU picks up Miami QB

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: ETSU picks up Miami QB

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:58 pm
Why, just why are some of you afraid of ETSU? Our team is supposed to have the best seasons ever. I realize Any Given Saturday, but if ETSU beats us, it's going to be one of the longest seasons ever instead of one to remember. This should be a name your score game for Drink.
The other half of us are thinking a Top 20 Ranking at some point.
Michigan fans felt this way about our game in 2007. While I agree it will be a long season if we lose to them but nobody thinks we could lose to them based on talent. There are other factors such as coaching, how well we are clicking with our system, injuries, and other stuff. Nobody is afraid of ETSU but I am afraid of what could happen if we don't practice well, don't mentally prepare, if our team comes out flat, the crowd isn't into it, coordinators call awful games, and ETSU pulls out some trick plays and somehow is able to control the clock. Losing to ETSU should not happen but I believe we all felt that way about VMI in the 90s when they were 0-10.

The point is while nobody is afraid of ETSU and we expect to win by 50 or more, we still need to be ready and take everyone seriously. If we are going to challenge for a NY6 Bowl and be ranked we must take every game seriously. We are everyone's Super Bowl that we play except for UNC and South Carolina. Can't overlook anyone.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:14 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:33 pm
He was a three star recruit out of college, redshirted then this past season saw very few snaps. I'm not worried.
Don't ever use stars as an argument for or against a player. Dexter Coakley- 0 stars, Brian Quick- 0 stars, DJ Smith- 0 stars, Armanti Edwards- 2 stars, etc. There are some great players who end up going in the top 100 picks or become NFL stars who were 0, 2, or 3 stars. Just about every P5 recruit automatically gets 3 stars at least.
Yeah but, of all of those players you listed or the examples that exist, how many of them had an impact on a roster by at least year three of their collegiate career? Even 0 star Daniel Jones was starting by year two at Duke.

So ok...drop the part about recruiting and focusing on what he's done the past two years...yep, still not worried.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:14 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
He was a three star recruit out of college, redshirted then this past season saw very few snaps. I'm not worried.
Don't ever use stars as an argument for or against a player. Dexter Coakley- 0 stars, Brian Quick- 0 stars, DJ Smith- 0 stars, Armanti Edwards- 2 stars, etc. There are some great players who end up going in the top 100 picks or become NFL stars who were 0, 2, or 3 stars. Just about every P5 recruit automatically gets 3 stars at least.
Yeah but, of all of those players you listed or the examples that exist, how many of them had an impact on a roster by at least year three of their collegiate career? Even 0 star Daniel Jones was starting by year two at Duke.

So ok...drop the part about recruiting and focusing on what he's done the past two years...yep, still not worried.
In that case, yes agreed. I am not super worried about him either. Just saying don't ever let the stars distract. I am not worry about any QB on our schedule in terms of someone we can't hold in check. We play some good ones but nobody that is unstoppable. With that said, if we aren't on our A game there are 3-4 who I could see having a big game.

Most transfers from P5 programs that come to G5 are for playing time. Very rare those guys turn out to be great players at this level. I can't even think of a P5 transfer to us that ever was a big time player. There was a DE from LSU who had a lot of hype but he was a very average player for us.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:11 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:

In that case, yes agreed. I am not super worried about him either. Just saying don't ever let the stars distract. I am not worry about any QB on our schedule in terms of someone we can't hold in check. We play some good ones but nobody that is unstoppable. With that said, if we aren't on our A game there are 3-4 who I could see having a big game.

Most transfers from P5 programs that come to G5 are for playing time. Very rare those guys turn out to be great players at this level. I can't even think of a P5 transfer to us that ever was a big time player. There was a DE from LSU who had a lot of hype but he was a very average player for us.
Tim Washington??...knew him well in college. He never really blended in with the team.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:07 am

Nobody is saying that we should be scared of ETSU. That would be ridiculous. Just don't take anyone for granted. Show up and play the game. There's nothing wrong with making predictions and expecting a win. We should win this game! Everyone should just understand it COULD turn into an actual game...for at least a while. Honestly, I THINK we will handle ETSU without much problem. They have some QBs who can sling it but only a couple of WEs who are particularly good and they primarily feature short routs, dumps and screens. I don't think they are athletic enough to match up. We will find out on 8/31 for sure.

Most P5 players who transfer don't turn out to be all that...at least those who have transferred to App. There have been some who have transferred to I-AA/FCS in the past and done quite well though (Flacco at Delaware...Ingle Martin at Furman come to mind).

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:19 am

ETSU is a good opponent that can give our new CB's some valuable game experience.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:30 am

Exactly. ETSU is good enough to serve their purpose on our schedule. We should need to actually play (unlike the Gardner Webb game last year which just got out of hand) but without huge issues, it will be a win.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 am

ETSU would need to transfer in the entire Hurricanes starting line up to cause any level of anxiety in my household. #CrushETSU

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Tim Washington??...knew him well in college. He never really blended in with the team.
Yes, him. I don't see a point in bringing in P5 transfers. They never really pan out for us. I rather bring in a stud from another G5 or FCS for 1-2 years than a P5 castaway. Most of them don't blend well with their new teams. Out of every 100 who transfer down I bet 2-4 actually pan out.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

There was no P5 G5, etc back then, but John Craig, a FB, transferred to App from University of South Carolina and was monumental in defeating them in 1975. He gained over 200 yards against them from the FB position in the Wishbone Y formation.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Beat ETSU! Happy Summer.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:59 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Ummm, Corey Sutton is a P5 transfer. Heath was also real solid last year. granted those are the only 2 I can think of but maybe our P5 transfers moving forward, if we get any, will be impact players.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:36 am

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:59 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Ummm, Corey Sutton is a P5 transfer. Heath was also real solid last year. granted those are the only 2 I can think of but maybe our P5 transfers moving forward, if we get any, will be impact players.
One difference for Sutton is that his dad went here so you know he did not come here and look down on us like many 4-5 star P5 recruits would. Most of the time those guys don't fit in our atmosphere but Sutton is not like that. Sutton left for different reasons. They wanted him to stay and his role was not going to be diminished.

Most P5 players who transfer to G5 schools leave because their role has decreased or they have issues. Heath was just a role player and backup mainly who provided depth. Sutton is really the first impact transfer from a P5 program for us.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:42 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

There was no P5 G5, etc back then, but John Craig, a FB, transferred to App from University of South Carolina and was monumental in defeating them in 1975. He gained over 200 yards against them from the FB position in the Wishbone Y formation.
I was thinking more like the last 25-30 years just because of how the levels have changed. A heavy majority of P5 transfers have issues and very few are like Sutton. My whole point is that out of say 20 P5 transfers the odds are that very few will fit in and I prefer to be selective with them. If suddenly we see 5-6 P5 transfers announce they are coming I would want to see case by case why because generally speaking they are transferring because they can't get on the field, got suspended, etc.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:43 am

What you are comparing are different eras. The guys that you are saying did not pan out were P5 to FCS. Apples to oranges when you are comparing P5 to G5.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:09 am

The game is changing for transfers though. Especially at the "skill" positions (I personally hate that term), where programs recruit a stud EVERY year, there are going to be guys who are legit national talents / NFL prospects but they get displaced by a younger even better player. Just look at what has happened in recent years at the QB position at Alabama, Georgia and Clemson. The same things happens at RB. These guys who are transferring aren't just bad apples. They want to play and are talented athletes with an actual shot at the NFL. App is becoming an attractive destination for talent and might actually land some good transfer talent. I'm glad we don't rely on that but if the opportunity comes, I won't be upset.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”