Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Improving a tradition

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Improving a tradition

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:46 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:00 am
It's threads like this that make me wonder why we even hire people do manage marketing and game atmosphere. Surely Doug Gillin, Spencer Bridges, John Welch and Suzette Mauney (well maybe not Suzette) can read our suggestions right? And then just go do it. It's simple. Read the cabin, go do your job.

Who cares about your years of experience or any plans that you have that could make the atmosphere better. The cabin has an idea and now it needs to happen. Cabin get what Cabin want!

(If you don't understand the sarcasm in this, I feel so sorry for you. Let these people do their jobs.)

Yep, the consumers should never have a say in what they want and every single good idea ever comes from within the organization. If you don’t get the sarcasm in this I feel sorry for you.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:46 am
BooneKarate wrote:
It's threads like this that make me wonder why we even hire people do manage marketing and game atmosphere. Surely Doug Gillin, Spencer Bridges, John Welch and Suzette Mauney (well maybe not Suzette) can read our suggestions right? And then just go do it. It's simple. Read the cabin, go do your job.

Who cares about your years of experience or any plans that you have that could make the atmosphere better. The cabin has an idea and now it needs to happen. Cabin get what Cabin want!

(If you don't understand the sarcasm in this, I feel so sorry for you. Let these people do their jobs.)

Yep, the consumers should never have a say in what they want and every single good idea ever comes from within the organization. If you don’t get the sarcasm in this I feel sorry for you.
So I take it you do the surveys at the bottom of the receipts? I'm sure that you've emailed companies like Amazon, Nike, and Ford to let them know how they should start planning out their next event or marketing campaign.

And if you have emailed those companies about your opinion on how they should make their next ad campaign, shoe design, or truck feature, please do not ever buy anything from my company.

By the way, no sarcasm this time.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:02 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:31 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:46 am
BooneKarate wrote:

I don’t take myself nearly as seriously as you take yourself. I’ve talk with Doug several times in the parking lot at games and he’s always polite and receptive to suggestions or ideas and I am always complement him on the job he’s doing. Lighten up it was just an idea I had. I’m not going to boycott the games if they don’t use the idea. To answer your question I rarely complete surveys or give feedback to companies unless it’s a positive comment about an employee. By the way, for someone who owns a business and acts like he knows something about marketing, “never buy anything from me” is a really strange marketing strategy.

So I take it you do the surveys at the bottom of the receipts? I'm sure that you've emailed companies like Amazon, Nike, and Ford to let them know how they should start planning out their next event or marketing campaign.

And if you have emailed those companies about your opinion on how they should make their next ad campaign, shoe design, or truck feature, please do not ever buy anything from my company.

By the way, no sarcasm this time.

BlueCreekAppFan

Unread post by BlueCreekAppFan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:11 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am
Just mic up the "BOD" band and the student section and use that 3 million dollar scoreboard and speakers to our advantage. APP!!!.....STATE!!!

Play PA music during TV Timeouts since they seem to last forever.
Disagree with mic up the band. Heard that at Ann Arbor 2 and it was terribly out of sync. You could hear the band and the louder band out of the speakers. Last year the band was pretty strong on their own. Keep growing the BOD (and improving)

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:48 pm

*sigh* When can football just start......
The Appalachian State

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am

In regards to when music does and doesn't get played vs. the band playing, I'm almost positive that the players have a little weight in this one. Does a band tune get them hyped up and going? Maybe, maybe not. Does the newest awful rap song get them going? Yes. Yes it does. Get the boys hype and let's see some good football.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am
Does a band tune get them hyped up and going? Maybe, maybe not. Does the newest awful rap song get them going? Yes. Yes it does. Get the boys hype and let's see some good football.
No offense to our band but the tunes they play are in need of an update. I highly doubt the players even know the songs they play anymore. Most are from 70s and 80s and they never get updated. Need some new material!

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:11 am

Maybe something like this (the Southern University Marching Band Rap Mix from the 2012 Bayou Classic)?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 am

ASU-FTW wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 am
BooneKarate wrote:
Does a band tune get them hyped up and going? Maybe, maybe not. Does the newest awful rap song get them going? Yes. Yes it does. Get the boys hype and let's see some good football.
No offense to our band but the tunes they play are in need of an update. I highly doubt the players even know the songs they play anymore. Most are from 70s and 80s and they never get updated. Need some new material!
That doesn't really make them different from most of the marching bands in the country. Especially the music played in the stands is largely traditional pep music. A few new pieces get added occasionally. I'm not saying they shouldn't consider adding some but I like the traditional music during the game. (Queue the old man comments).

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 am
ASU-FTW wrote:
BooneKarate wrote:
That doesn't really make them different from most of the marching bands in the country. Especially the music played in the stands is largely traditional pep music. A few new pieces get added occasionally. I'm not saying they shouldn't consider adding some but I like the traditional music during the game. (Queue the old man comments).
I'm with you, there are some tunes that make college football a unique thing and those will always be there. But adding a few here and there are expected. Our band isn't the most progressive out there, but hopefully the new director this year will really kick it into gear.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:31 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:55 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:21 pm
Doug,
I’m going to tell you a few things about myself just so you know that I’m a serious fan who’s big on our football traditions. I’m a 1988 graduate, I’ve been on the turf at KBS in uniform and I haven’t missed a home game in 13 years. I have those 7, yes 7, home dates on my calendar for 2019 and unless something completely unforeseen happens I’ll make it 14 years in a row this year. Those days in Boone are awesome. I believe that winning teams and solid traditions make for the best game day experience and I love our traditions. I think things are getting better but for a while we used way to much music from the PA system. We played music over the band and over the fans. Our game day traditions should be driven by the students and the fans. The band should play more and the fans should cheer louder and the PA system should only be used to support and enhance what the band, the cheerleaders, the students and the fans are doing. I say all this to ask if you would consider changing one of our traditions, that being the Sean Connery, “welcome to the Rock”. Don’t get me wrong, I both respect and like the intro, it has served us well. I also am grateful to the folks who gave it to us. But, I think we can improve on what they started. Over the last couple of seasons it has struck me as odd that a Scottish actor with absolutely no ties to ASU is literally welcoming folks to our football home. So what I’m going to suggest is that we change very little about that welcome, really only that we have App. Folks deliver that line, “welcome to the Rock”. Now I know we tried this before with the Eric Church video and frankly I liked it but I think it had one big flaw. It changed too much. Eric changed how the line was delivered, he paused and then sort of stuttered out the line. That line, “ welcome to the Rock”, is a launching point and it must be delivered in the same rhythm that it been delivered in for years. I’m only suggesting that App. People delivery the line. I’ll give you an example of what I mean. Our very first game this year is Coach Jerry Moore day. This is a day made for this change. So you get with coach Moore and have him record the line, “welcome to the Rock”. You get it just right, in rhythm just like the fans have heard it hundreds of times. The hype video plays but you include little clips of coach Moore and at the end Coach Moore not Sean Conner comes up and delivers the line. What Mountaineer fan wouldn’t love that. Our guy, a real Mountaineer welcoming us all to his home, our home. Now that said you would still have 5 home games to fill with different folks or groups, but I think that would be easy. Week 2 could be AE or I really think that Marching Mountaineers would be a great choice. The whole band recorded from the stadium. I think our fan base could really get behind this. It would be like a fan of the game thing. I’m going to list some additional thoughts on possible “fans” of the game below. Two words of caution, it has to be delivered in rhythm and it should never be sold. We should never see the president of xyz cooperation delivering the welcome line, it has to be about the players, the students and the fans.

Possible fans of the game:

Senior day: the senior football class, easy choice.

Hero’s day: This one gets me fired up. It could be as simply as one of our brave military folks and his or her family. Or we could give it a local flavor and have a group of local first responders and not only let them deliver the line but have them lead the team onto the field. We could also do this with a group of military folks, each with the flag of their service, leading the team out. What would really be cool is to have one of our hero’s deliver the line from the cockpit of their plane or the deck of their ship. Lots of possibilities.

I mentioned the band and I think they could be one of the best of all. You could record the line but what would be really cool would be to have them deliver the line live. And they are a group that could pull it off. Half facing east, half facing west, the time comes and live from the field, “welcome to the Rock”.

Former star players and groups from special teams. You could even use non football, athletes. Let’s say basketball or soccer or wrestling has a great year. Recognize them with the honor of delivering the line. I also think player groups, like the offensive line could work well.

The students, there are a group of students that show up early on Saturday, faces painted, dressed in black and gold. They want that front row, west side, 50 yard line spot. Watch for a couple of games, see who they are, gather them up and let them record the welcome line and then on game day pull them out of the stands, save their seats, and let them lead the team onto the field and then they go back over the wall and into their spot.

More ideas for the students, put out a call for students to come to KBS one night and fill the west side student section. Then have the whole section deliver the line. What would really be awesome is if this could turn into a live thing.

Fans: we give away a grill at the end of the year for the tailgate of the game. How about the winner gets to record and deliver the welcome from their tailgate spot?

I know this is long winded. Thanks for taking the time.
If you haven't sent this, you might want to fix the typos in the most important line of the message:

Instead of: "I’m only suggesting that App. People delivery the line."
Go with: "I’m only suggesting that App people deliver the line."
Should let Georgia Southern people deliver it, patchwork style.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm

I now know how Bill Murray felt.......

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:08 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:31 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Doug,
I’m going to tell you a few things about myself just so you know that I’m a serious fan who’s big on our football traditions. I’m a 1988 graduate, I’ve been on the turf at KBS in uniform and I haven’t missed a home game in 13 years. I have those 7, yes 7, home dates on my calendar for 2019 and unless something completely unforeseen happens I’ll make it 14 years in a row this year. Those days in Boone are awesome. I believe that winning teams and solid traditions make for the best game day experience and I love our traditions. I think things are getting better but for a while we used way to much music from the PA system. We played music over the band and over the fans. Our game day traditions should be driven by the students and the fans. The band should play more and the fans should cheer louder and the PA system should only be used to support and enhance what the band, the cheerleaders, the students and the fans are doing. I say all this to ask if you would consider changing one of our traditions, that being the Sean Connery, “welcome to the Rock”. Don’t get me wrong, I both respect and like the intro, it has served us well. I also am grateful to the folks who gave it to us. But, I think we can improve on what they started. Over the last couple of seasons it has struck me as odd that a Scottish actor with absolutely no ties to ASU is literally welcoming folks to our football home. So what I’m going to suggest is that we change very little about that welcome, really only that we have App. Folks deliver that line, “welcome to the Rock”. Now I know we tried this before with the Eric Church video and frankly I liked it but I think it had one big flaw. It changed too much. Eric changed how the line was delivered, he paused and then sort of stuttered out the line. That line, “ welcome to the Rock”, is a launching point and it must be delivered in the same rhythm that it been delivered in for years. I’m only suggesting that App. People delivery the line. I’ll give you an example of what I mean. Our very first game this year is Coach Jerry Moore day. This is a day made for this change. So you get with coach Moore and have him record the line, “welcome to the Rock”. You get it just right, in rhythm just like the fans have heard it hundreds of times. The hype video plays but you include little clips of coach Moore and at the end Coach Moore not Sean Conner comes up and delivers the line. What Mountaineer fan wouldn’t love that. Our guy, a real Mountaineer welcoming us all to his home, our home. Now that said you would still have 5 home games to fill with different folks or groups, but I think that would be easy. Week 2 could be AE or I really think that Marching Mountaineers would be a great choice. The whole band recorded from the stadium. I think our fan base could really get behind this. It would be like a fan of the game thing. I’m going to list some additional thoughts on possible “fans” of the game below. Two words of caution, it has to be delivered in rhythm and it should never be sold. We should never see the president of xyz cooperation delivering the welcome line, it has to be about the players, the students and the fans.

Hero’s day: This one gets me fired up. It could be as simply as one of our brave military folks and his or her family. Or we could give it a local flavor and have a group of local first responders and not only let them deliver the line but have them lead the team onto the field. We could also do this with a group of military folks, each with the flag of their service, leading the team out. What would really be cool is to have one of our hero’s deliver the line from the cockpit of their plane or the deck of their ship. Lots of possibilities.

I mentioned the band and I think they could be one of the best of all. You could record the line but what would be really cool would be to have them deliver the line live. And they are a group that could pull it off. Half facing east, half facing west, the time comes and live from the field, “welcome to the Rock”.

Former star players and groups from special teams. You could even use non football, athletes. Let’s say basketball or soccer or wrestling has a great year. Recognize them with the honor of delivering the line. I also think player groups, like the offensive line could work well.

The students, there are a group of students that show up early on Saturday, faces painted, dressed in black and gold. They want that front row, west side, 50 yard line spot. Watch for a couple of games, see who they are, gather them up and let them record the welcome line and then on game day pull them out of the stands, save their seats, and let them lead the team onto the field and then they go back over the wall and into their spot.

More ideas for the students, put out a call for students to come to KBS one night and fill the west side student section. Then have the whole section deliver the line. What would really be awesome is if this could turn into a live thing.

Fans: we give away a grill at the end of the year for the tailgate of the game. How about the winner gets to record and deliver the welcome from their tailgate spot?

If you haven't sent this, you might want to fix the typos in the most important line of the message:

Yep, I made a typo, sorry.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:22 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
BooneKarate wrote:
I'm with you, there are some tunes that make college football a unique thing and those will always be there. But adding a few here and there are expected. Our band isn't the most progressive out there, but hopefully the new director this year will really kick it into gear.
If the band learned the songs that the players liked, the fans over the age of 35 (most of us if I were to guess) probably still wouldn't know them. I think we just have to understand that we have to have a mix and play to the players a little heavier, especially if we are in a tight game (whenever that happens again).

At the end of the day, it's music. Regardless of who plays it, everyone has their own taste. The only way to get a true mix of music tastes without playing the same 15 songs from the band is to have someone sitting behind a computer with plenty of options. I'd say 65/35 music:band mix.

Also keep in mind the amount of time it takes to click a song vs. the amount of time to stand up, yell a song, count to 4 or 5 and then start playing. More dead air equals less energy on the field and in the stands.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:01 am

Yosef84 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
BooneKarate wrote:
Tradition is a dirty word on here.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 am
GregPercussion wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
BooneKarate wrote:
If the band learned the songs that the players liked, the fans over the age of 35 (most of us if I were to guess) probably still wouldn't know them. I think we just have to understand that we have to have a mix and play to the players a little heavier, especially if we are in a tight game (whenever that happens again).

At the end of the day, it's music. Regardless of who plays it, everyone has their own taste. The only way to get a true mix of music tastes without playing the same 15 songs from the band is to have someone sitting behind a computer with plenty of options. I'd say 65/35 music:band mix.

Also keep in mind the amount of time it takes to click a song vs. the amount of time to stand up, yell a song, count to 4 or 5 and then start playing. More dead air equals less energy on the field and in the stands.
I agree with the 35 and 65 only 65/35.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:10 am

From what I’ve observed the “hype” music for the most part takes the fans out of the game. Yes it gets some of the students up and dancing but for the most part while it’s playing the majority of the fans are sitting on their hands. I’m not saying the PA should never be used but not in between every down.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 am
GregPercussion wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
BooneKarate wrote:

BooneK, aren’t you the one who said we should just let the “experts” do their job?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:39 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:08 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:31 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Doug,

Yep, I made a typo, sorry.
I didn't see a typo. I was being sarcastic in that you let their fans and team see their face welcoming App to the Rock, for their own demise. Sort of like a dig your own grave situation.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:48 am

Sorry I quoted the wrong post. The one above yours pointed out my typo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”