Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UConn leaving the AAC

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: UConn leaving the AAC

Unread post by appst89 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:06 pm

AppUSMC wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:25 pm
NewApp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:30 pm
NoLongerLurking wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:15 pm
appst89 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:42 am
NewApp wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Huge charter planes are not going to land there.
Why?
Because he likes to argue.

https://wilkescounty.net/DocumentCenter ... PDF?bidId=

The runway is 1889.76 meters.

https://scandinaviantraveler.com/en/avi ... need-to-be

A loaded 737 needs 1600 meters fortake off and 900 meters to brake.
"Because he likes to argue."

Nope, just like to express my opinion like you do except I don't agree with cronies and beer buddies just for the sake of harmony.

So why haven't big charter planes used Wilkes?
Ok y’all. I have a type rating in the 737-700, -800, and -900. I currently fly for a major airline that charters major athletic teams like the Yankees and Braves. I’ve personally flown the Green Bay Packers.

A large charter jet like a 737 or 757 won’t use Wilkesboro. Runway length is great but the weight bearing strength won’t hold the weight of a commercial jet. I believe it’s rated at 60k for dual wheel. 737-900 usually lands at about 145k. It would sink into the asphalt. It can handle corporate traffic all day.

Hickory can handle any charter aircraft App needs. That’s why App uses it. It will continue to be App’s charter airport as long as everyone on this board is alive and breathing. It’s 45 miles and less than an hour.

Boone WILL NEVER get an airport to handle large charter jets. Period.
Thank you for the expert analysis. I was not aware of the weight restrictions at Wilkes, and had been told by someone who I thought would know, that Wilkes could handle anything Hickory could handle. Obviously, that is not the case. Hickory it is.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:46 pm

I doubt a 59 minute drive from Hickory Airport to Boone would make-or-break an AAC invite. To me, the best thing that can happen for App is:

1. AAC votes to remain at 11 for the time being.
2. App continues to reach the Top 25, flirt with a NY6 appearance
3. Coach Kerns rights the MBB ship

In a few years, App will have new Softball, T&F, and Tennis facilities plus an expanded indoor football facility and NEZ project complete. With football leading the way, App can make a compelling case if our other sports are in a good place. We just need to make the next few years count.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:23 pm

I mean I lived in Miami and it takes an hr to get anywhere from that airport in the daily traffic.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:27 pm

I like where we are , and we really need a full service hotel,in Boone,to have any hopes of moving “up”.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:01 pm

Why is there an airport in Hickory? Old furniture $$? I'm confused enough with Tricities in JC and the gigantic and perfect meeting all qualifications of any aircraft invented to date Wilkes count airport that rumor has it a space shuttle has landed on and taken off from.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:49 am

??

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:19 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:01 pm
Why is there an airport in Hickory? Old furniture $$? I'm confused enough with Tricities in JC and the gigantic and perfect meeting all qualifications of any aircraft invented to date Wilkes count airport that rumor has it a space shuttle has landed on and taken off from.
My guess is the former manufacturing base of the area. Prior to the completion of the current hwy 321 US Air offered numerous daily connector flights from HKY to CLT. After, Delta tried to create demand for connector flights to ATL. When Delta pulled out the tower was closed.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:55 am

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:46 pm
I doubt a 59 minute drive from Hickory Airport to Boone would make-or-break an AAC invite. To me, the best thing that can happen for App is:

1. AAC votes to remain at 11 for the time being.
2. App continues to reach the Top 25, flirt with a NY6 appearance
3. Coach Kerns rights the MBB ship

In a few years, App will have new Softball, T&F, and Tennis facilities plus an expanded indoor football facility and NEZ project complete. With football leading the way, App can make a compelling case if our other sports are in a good place. We just need to make the next few years count.
I also wonder if our lack of research activity will affect an invite.

I’d put our undergrad academics as same or better than all public universities in AAC. It’s something that’s brought up every time our name is mentioned.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:07 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:01 pm
No sure of the reason, but I lived in Hickory when I first graduated from App, early 90's and used to fly in/out on US AIR express! Of course, the 15 minute flight to Charlotte to connect was more convenient than actually driving to Charlotte.

oasispirate
School: East Carolina

Unread post by oasispirate » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:29 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:28 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:33 am
A few thoughts:
1. Yes, it'd be awesome and we'd take it if offered. It's fun to think about, but is a pipedream at this point.
2. App has a bigger sports following in Charlotte than Charlotte.
3. ECU would probably be pretty miserable if App did join.
4. Georgia Southern sucks
Agreed on all accounts. ECU would probably be miserable at first, but I think they’d welcome an annual game with us eventually. I think it would be awesome if we could set up a permanent game in Charlotte a la worlds largest outdoor cocktail party.
App St definitely has the football team to join. But I don't see it happening unless someone else leaves or we go to 14. AAC is pretty hoops oriented too.

From an ECU perspective I think I'd enjoy the rivalry as well a travel partner. But right now if I am being completely honest we probably beat you out head to head on 80% of the recruits. Why would we give that up?

That said maybe App goes undefeated and gets on everyones radar. Keep hoops and baseball in mind as well, the AAC is serious about both. ECU appears to have finally committed to hoops.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:42 pm

oasispirate wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:29 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
A few thoughts:
1. Yes, it'd be awesome and we'd take it if offered. It's fun to think about, but is a pipedream at this point.
Agreed on all accounts. ECU would probably be miserable at first, but I think they’d welcome an annual game with us eventually. I think it would be awesome if we could set up a permanent game in Charlotte a la worlds largest outdoor cocktail party.
App St definitely has the football team to join. But I don't see it happening unless someone else leaves or we go to 14. AAC is pretty hoops oriented too.

From an ECU perspective I think I'd enjoy the rivalry as well a travel partner. But right now if I am being completely honest we probably beat you out head to head on 80% of the recruits. Why would we give that up?

That said maybe App goes undefeated and gets on everyones radar. Keep hoops and baseball in mind as well, the AAC is serious about both. ECU appears to have finally committed to hoops.
A fair assessment, though considering recent performance, I think 80% on the recruits is high. Nonetheless, I’d feel pretty good if we were to have a football/basketball competition with you right now.
Anyhow, good luck on your season and we’ll see you in ‘21, if not before.

appstate2008

Unread post by appstate2008 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 pm

oasispirate wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
A few thoughts:

80%? Does anyone on here have a fact check on this? Would love to know how we stack up.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:03 pm

We gave them the most recent hoops matchup in absolute meltdown fashion.

oasispirate

Unread post by oasispirate » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:04 pm

appstate2008 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 pm
oasispirate wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
A few thoughts:

80%? Does anyone on here have a fact check on this? Would love to know how we stack up.
I've followed recruiting pretty well. Other than victor Johnson and player here or there we mostly beat you out. 80% is shooting from the hip, but feels right.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:01 pm

You missed a good one. Vic Johnson = NFL
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

oasispirate

Unread post by oasispirate » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:01 pm
You missed a good one. Vic Johnson = NFL
100%, I hope ya'll beat the p5 teams on your schedule. I don't like the hierarchy of college football and the glass ceilings. But it is what it is.

That being said if you go to our 247 site and look at the offers of recruits, you will see a lot of kids claiming App offers.

We were running fine and made an idiotic decision firing Ruff. Mo was a lot of terrible, but his recruiting was largely solid and it's just coming to fruition now.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 am

Fact checking these kinds of things is probably impossible unless you're an insider to the recruiting process. The "other offers" listed generally includes non-committable offers which wouldn't be a valid comparison. I'm sure there are guys on our roster who claim ECU also and the same thing would apply. Was the offer withdrawn? Was it ever committable? It doesn't really matter and the Pirates fans are welcome to believe the information based on their own analysis....just like we do. It's no skin off our nose. The bulk of what he is saying is true. I don't see the AAC looking seriously at App.

ECU basketball isn't far ahead of ours....Baseball however had a monster years. Congrats on that!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:26 am

Just saw where the smug JMU said 'we would consider an offer from AAC'. They really think it is forthcoming.
Bring Your A Game!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:28 am

LOL I'm sure that JMU will consider the AAC's offer....and then their mommy will wake them up for school.

oasispirate

Unread post by oasispirate » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 am
Fact checking these kinds of things is probably impossible unless you're an insider to the recruiting process. The "other offers" listed generally includes non-committable offers which wouldn't be a valid comparison. I'm sure there are guys on our roster who claim ECU also and the same thing would apply. Was the offer withdrawn? Was it ever committable? It doesn't really matter and the Pirates fans are welcome to believe the information based on their own analysis....just like we do. It's no skin off our nose. The bulk of what he is saying is true. I don't see the AAC looking seriously at App.

ECU basketball isn't far ahead of ours....Baseball however had a monster years. Congrats on that!
While there is some truth to the committable offers, most of our commits the last 2-3 years have come early in the recruiting cycle. We have also landed a lot of instate talent and quite a few with ACC offers.

As far as hoops, look for this to be the year ECU turns the corner. Joe Dooley turned over the roster and signed 11 new guys, all major upgrades over what we have had in the past. I am finally excited for hoops, Dooley is a recruiting machine.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/20 ... es-coleman

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”