Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UConn leaving the AAC

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: UConn leaving the AAC

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:16 pm

oasispirate wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:01 pm
You missed a good one. Vic Johnson = NFL
100%, I hope ya'll beat the p5 teams on your schedule. I don't like the hierarchy of college football and the glass ceilings. But it is what it is.

That being said if you go to our 247 site and look at the offers of recruits, you will see a lot of kids claiming App offers.

We were running fine and made an idiotic decision firing Ruff. Mo was a lot of terrible, but his recruiting was largely solid and it's just coming to fruition now.
One thing is fairly certain. Over the past 4 years or so, we would have kicked some Pyrite arse on the football field, recruiting battle or not.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:22 pm

If the last few seasons of Pirate football are any indication, I'm glad ECU is getting these recruits instead of App.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:41 pm

oasispirate wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 am
Fact checking these kinds of things is probably impossible unless you're an insider to the recruiting process. The "other offers" listed generally includes non-committable offers which wouldn't be a valid comparison. I'm sure there are guys on our roster who claim ECU also and the same thing would apply. Was the offer withdrawn? Was it ever committable? It doesn't really matter and the Pirates fans are welcome to believe the information based on their own analysis....just like we do. It's no skin off our nose. The bulk of what he is saying is true. I don't see the AAC looking seriously at App.

ECU basketball isn't far ahead of ours....Baseball however had a monster years. Congrats on that!
While there is some truth to the committable offers, most of our commits the last 2-3 years have come early in the recruiting cycle. We have also landed a lot of instate talent and quite a few with ACC offers.

As far as hoops, look for this to be the year ECU turns the corner. Joe Dooley turned over the roster and signed 11 new guys, all major upgrades over what we have had in the past. I am finally excited for hoops, Dooley is a recruiting machine.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/20 ... es-coleman
I was just on the CUSA board and CLT thinks OasisPirate needs to change his/her name to MiragePirate.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:12 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:22 pm
If the last few seasons of Pirate football are any indication, I'm glad ECU is getting these recruits instead of App.
:D Maybe their recruits didn't want to "ride the pine"in Boone.

oasispirate
School: East Carolina

Unread post by oasispirate » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:21 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:12 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Predictably sensitive

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:38 pm

oasispirate wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:21 pm
TheMoody1 wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Predictably sensitive
Laughable. You are the one on an App board spreading "Fake news".

oasispirate

Unread post by oasispirate » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:43 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:38 pm
oasispirate wrote:
TheMoody1 wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Predictably sensitive
Yeah, tell me one area where I've been corrected?

appstate2008

Unread post by appstate2008 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:43 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:38 pm
oasispirate wrote:
TheMoody1 wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Predictably sensitive
Just doing a quick look at 2018 and I think this pirate guy might be close to right on them winning recruiting battles. Just shows how important coaching in college football is. Every hire is make or break.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm

oasispirate wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Fact checking these kinds of things is probably impossible unless you're an insider to the recruiting process. The "other offers" listed generally includes non-committable offers which wouldn't be a valid comparison. I'm sure there are guys on our roster who claim ECU also and the same thing would apply. Was the offer withdrawn? Was it ever committable? It doesn't really matter and the Pirates fans are welcome to believe the information based on their own analysis....just like we do. It's no skin off our nose. The bulk of what he is saying is true. I don't see the AAC looking seriously at App.

ECU basketball isn't far ahead of ours....Baseball however had a monster years. Congrats on that!
While there is some truth to the committable offers, most of our commits the last 2-3 years have come early in the recruiting cycle. We have also landed a lot of instate talent and quite a few with ACC offers.

As far as hoops, look for this to be the year ECU turns the corner. Joe Dooley turned over the roster and signed 11 new guys, all major upgrades over what we have had in the past. I am finally excited for hoops, Dooley is a recruiting machine.

We too have landed in state talent and guys with ACC offers, maybe one day your record starts to show it at some point

Also, I follow recruiting pretty closely too and pay for Igoe’s nuggets over at HTC. I never fail to laugh when his write ups of commits includes “offer from Appalachian State”, yet it’s guys were spending 0 time on. And now you’re here, what, gloating? Lol. Here’s to 4 wins in 2019!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Does anybody find it more than happenstance that App's appearance in FBS coincided precisely with ECU's downturn in football? I'm sure the Pirates will point toward their move to a tougher conference as the primary reason, and justifiably so. But you have to wonder if there are additional factors.

App joins Sun Belt on this day in 2014.

East Carolina football:
2012 -- CUSA -- 8-5
2013 -- CUSA -- 10-3
2014 -- AAC -- 8-5
2015 -- AAC -- 5-7
2016 -- AAC -- 3-9
2017 -- AAC -- 3-9
2018 -- AAC -- 3-9

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:06 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 pm
Does anybody find it more than happenstance that App's appearance in FBS coincided precisely with ECU's downturn in football? I'm sure the Pirates will point toward their move to a tougher conference as the primary reason, and justifiably so. But you have to wonder if there are additional factors.

East Carolina football:
2012 -- CUSA -- 8-5
2013 -- CUSA -- 10-3
2014 -- AAC -- 8-5
2015 -- AAC -- 5-7
2016 -- AAC -- 3-9
2017 -- AAC -- 3-9
2018 -- AAC -- 3-9

oasispirate

Unread post by oasispirate » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:27 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:

East Carolina football:
2012 -- CUSA -- 8-5
2013 -- CUSA -- 10-3
2014 -- AAC -- 8-5
2015 -- AAC -- 5-7
2016 -- AAC -- 3-9
2017 -- AAC -- 3-9
2018 -- AAC -- 3-9
5-7 year was due to a brutal schedule and losing our starting qb the week before the season.

The rest was due to a dumb firing, bad hire, attrition, and the AAC improving.

oasispirate

Unread post by oasispirate » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
oasispirate wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

We too have landed in state talent and guys with ACC offers, maybe one day your record starts to show it at some point

Also, I follow recruiting pretty closely too and pay for Igoe’s nuggets over at HTC. I never fail to laugh when his write ups of commits includes “offer from Appalachian State”, yet it’s guys were spending 0 time on. And now you’re here, what, gloating? Lol. Here’s to 4 wins in 2019!
I'm not gloating, all I am saying is the AAC gives us a recruiting advantage. Why would surrender that?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:38 pm

I have a question re Jeff Compler. What did he do at Western that made you say, “Mmmm...I’ve gotta have some of that.”???
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:59 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:

East Carolina football:
2012 -- CUSA -- 8-5
2013 -- CUSA -- 10-3
2014 -- AAC -- 8-5
2015 -- AAC -- 5-7
2016 -- AAC -- 3-9
2017 -- AAC -- 3-9
2018 -- AAC -- 3-9
LOL. Good point, Charlie.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 pm

Oasis said: " I'm not gloating, all I am saying is the AAC gives us a recruiting advantage. Why would surrender that?"

Hmmm. Perhaps to be above .500 again????? :)

Obviously you Pyrites outgrew CUSA, but were you ready for "big boy football" in the AAC especially after firing a better coach?

Which is better, 3-9 in the AAC or 10-3 in CUSA? Maybe you should look at the SunBelt again where you might go .500 just behind us. ;)
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:12 am

Even though most App folks want us to upgrade our conference affiliation and ramp up the competition I am so thankful we don’t go 3-9 and have to rationalize a crappy season with the “more difficult conference “ and the “tougher competition “ BS. We play who we are scheduled to play and have done pretty darn good since the move up.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:07 am

In Oasispirate's defense, I think he acknowledged that letting Ruffin McNeill go was a mistake and caused a lot of their problems. I don't think the harder conference is ECU's issue. The program has fallen into shambles. I'm sure they will re-build but in they hay day, they would have been competing with the programs at the top of the AAC.

Things will never be as they once were though in that even if ECU recovers, App will be there competing also...regardless of conference affiliation. The condescending attitudes of our in-state sister schools is based in the past and a delusional perception of today.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:09 am

oasispirate wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
oasispirate wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

I'm not gloating, all I am saying is the AAC gives us a recruiting advantage. Why would surrender that?
I’ve read you guys comments about App over at HTC and i just have a hard time believing this crowd over here would react in the same way. I get for the ADs and commissioner that it’s a business but for you and I, it’s a sport. Sports are about competition. You’re worried about competing with App for recruits? Well thanks for the recognition i suppose but i would love nothing more than to be in a conference with an in state peer school who i know tons of grads from. That’s what college sports are (should) be about. Not you being scared that we’ll pluck recruits from you cause we have more to offer if we were on level footing. That being said if I’m Aresco I’m staying at 11 for the time being but yalls comments about having to compete with App for recruits more than you already do are pretty telling.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:33 am

I guess if you had to look at the ECU board the past several years you would come here for solace.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”