Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UConn leaving the AAC

oasispirate
School: East Carolina

Re: UConn leaving the AAC

Unread post by oasispirate » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:09 am
oasispirate wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
oasispirate wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 am
Fact checking these kinds of things is probably impossible unless you're an insider to the recruiting process. The "other offers" listed generally includes non-committable offers which wouldn't be a valid comparison. I'm sure there are guys on our roster who claim ECU also and the same thing would apply. Was the offer withdrawn? Was it ever committable? It doesn't really matter and the Pirates fans are welcome to believe the information based on their own analysis....just like we do. It's no skin off our nose. The bulk of what he is saying is true. I don't see the AAC looking seriously at App.

ECU basketball isn't far ahead of ours....Baseball however had a monster years. Congrats on that!
While there is some truth to the committable offers, most of our commits the last 2-3 years have come early in the recruiting cycle. We have also landed a lot of instate talent and quite a few with ACC offers.

As far as hoops, look for this to be the year ECU turns the corner. Joe Dooley turned over the roster and signed 11 new guys, all major upgrades over what we have had in the past. I am finally excited for hoops, Dooley is a recruiting machine.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/20 ... es-coleman
We too have landed in state talent and guys with ACC offers, maybe one day your record starts to show it at some point

Also, I follow recruiting pretty closely too and pay for Igoe’s nuggets over at HTC. I never fail to laugh when his write ups of commits includes “offer from Appalachian State”, yet it’s guys were spending 0 time on. And now you’re here, what, gloating? Lol. Here’s to 4 wins in 2019!
I'm not gloating, all I am saying is the AAC gives us a recruiting advantage. Why would surrender that?
I’ve read you guys comments about App over at HTC and i just have a hard time believing this crowd over here would react in the same way. I get for the ADs and commissioner that it’s a business but for you and I, it’s a sport. Sports are about competition. You’re worried about competing with App for recruits? Well thanks for the recognition i suppose but i would love nothing more than to be in a conference with an in state peer school who i know tons of grads from. That’s what college sports are (should) be about. Not you being scared that we’ll pluck recruits from you cause we have more to offer if we were on level footing. That being said if I’m Aresco I’m staying at 11 for the time being but yalls comments about having to compete with App for recruits more than you already do are pretty telling.
I agree with your philosophy, unfortunately once the TV $ really started flowing into a college football. College football became less about competition and moreso about protectionism. The AAC TV contract is $5 mil per school. That's peanuts compared to the P5, but still much more than C-USA, Sun Belt, etc.

Hoops and baseball have real access to championships, football doesn't, otherwise UCF would've had a shot the last 2 years.

AppFan11
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:45 am

That is the point Drink made during the recent radio interview. What about P5’s? Paraphrasing “ when you look at it of the P5 (65 team) around 10 have a real shot at a Championship.... maybe 15 for the four “playoff” spots.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:51 pm

JMU says they're interested in joining the AAC...*pfffft* I'll bet they are.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... ssion=true
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Here's a run down that the RTD did on several Virginia schools and the AAC.

https://www.roanoke.com/townnews/sport/ ... 3e87d.html

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:20 am

oasispirate wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:09 am
oasispirate wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
oasispirate wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 am

While there is some truth to the committable offers, most of our commits the last 2-3 years have come early in the recruiting cycle. We have also landed a lot of instate talent and quite a few with ACC offers.

As far as hoops, look for this to be the year ECU turns the corner. Joe Dooley turned over the roster and signed 11 new guys, all major upgrades over what we have had in the past. I am finally excited for hoops, Dooley is a recruiting machine.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/20 ... es-coleman
We too have landed in state talent and guys with ACC offers, maybe one day your record starts to show it at some point

Also, I follow recruiting pretty closely too and pay for Igoe’s nuggets over at HTC. I never fail to laugh when his write ups of commits includes “offer from Appalachian State”, yet it’s guys were spending 0 time on. And now you’re here, what, gloating? Lol. Here’s to 4 wins in 2019!
I'm not gloating, all I am saying is the AAC gives us a recruiting advantage. Why would surrender that?
I’ve read you guys comments about App over at HTC and i just have a hard time believing this crowd over here would react in the same way. I get for the ADs and commissioner that it’s a business but for you and I, it’s a sport. Sports are about competition. You’re worried about competing with App for recruits? Well thanks for the recognition i suppose but i would love nothing more than to be in a conference with an in state peer school who i know tons of grads from. That’s what college sports are (should) be about. Not you being scared that we’ll pluck recruits from you cause we have more to offer if we were on level footing. That being said if I’m Aresco I’m staying at 11 for the time being but yalls comments about having to compete with App for recruits more than you already do are pretty telling.
I agree with your philosophy, unfortunately once the TV $ really started flowing into a college football. College football became less about competition and moreso about protectionism. The AAC TV contract is $5 mil per school. That's peanuts compared to the P5, but still much more than C-USA, Sun Belt, etc.

Hoops and baseball have real access to championships, football doesn't, otherwise UCF would've had a shot the last 2 years.

Too bad $5,000,000 doesn't yield .500
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:01 am

JMU is dreaming.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:22 am

I really don't think they expect a invite. I read it as they would take it, as would most, if offered.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:20 pm

You know that scene in the final episode of Game of Thrones? (And this isn’t much of a spoiler because no one cares about this character.) When Edmure Tully stands up and starts making his case to be king? Yeah, that’s JMU right now.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:54 pm

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

Interesting the way Aresco answered questions, basically on par with what we have speculated. I don't see them doing anything right now as UConn plays out this year. However, this sounds like they will take their time and find the right fit. This also reinforces the point that their discussions with ESPN will likely have an influence on how this plays out.

Meanwhile, the American Athletic Conference is in no rush to replace Connecticut as a member in order to remain at 12 schools. In fact, Aresco indicated the AAC does not intend to seek a replacement at this time and is learning toward remaining at 11 schools for the near future.

We’re not calling anyone. People have my phone number and if there is a school out there that is interested we are willing to have a conversation,” said Aresco, who is sensitive to concerns about the American “raiding” other Group of Five conferences.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”