2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25838
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 1299 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:00 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:17 pm
asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:52 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:13 am
It definitely goes back further than the late 80's. There was a page in the Yearbook while I was in school about the use of "Appy State" saying that if other schools insist on using that name we will start calling them Chatty, Marshy, Davey, Furmy, etc. I graduated in 84 and that name preceded me.

That being said, the name "Happy Appy" was not particularly loathed and didn't carry the same reaction....at least to my recollection.
We shouldn't conflate "Happy Appy" with some rabid rival fan or rival sportscaster mouthing off about "loathsome hillbillies" or "miserable appys."

"Happy Appy" is a positive term. It reflects our good fortune in landing in such a magnificent setting and at such a splendid school. The bookstore used to sell handsome wall plaques incorporating the term. I know they sold, because we've had one since...uhhh...well let's just say we've had one for quite a while. :lol:

The "appy bombs" and the many snide or profane variations we get tossed our way speak for themselves and for the sources...
There are many who disagree.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25838
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 1299 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:03 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:19 pm
asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:36 am
NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:08 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:26 pm
I'm fine with "Appy." Look at how WSU has embraced "Wazzu," Missouri with "Mizzou," and Syracuse's "Cuse."

Even if you don't personally say Appy, getting triggered by it is pretty comical, IMO.

Who exactly is triggered? I don't like it, but I don't get upset by it. It did used to perturb me when Cricket Morton used to say it derisively several times a night on Delano Little and her show on WBT-TV. But I never threw a shoe at the TV though. ;)

Truly depends on who you ask. Some say it originated from within the electronic media covering the Chattanooga Mocs during the late 80s SoCon MBB Tourneys played in Asheville's Civic Center. My wife's WVA family/all Marshall alums/fans vow and declare it came forth from Huntington's WSAZ-TV3 during those same tourney days when Herd fans turned Asheville green for a late Feb or early March week every year!

Actually, I'm pretty sure the "Appy State" moniker goes back at least to the '78 FB season and the 72-14 early October beat-down the Mocs put on Jim Brakefield's "Appys" at the old Chamberlin Field venue. I was there for that stompin' and won't ever forget the loooooong drive back. I credit the TIMES FREE PRESS sports desk for the insult. And they did intend for it to be taken as an insult!
You only had one dreadful hour back. Many of us had 3, 4, & 5 hours home.
Nope, you've just got me confused with someone else. 4 H 20 M for me.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 14431
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 1462 times
Been thanked: 1358 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:19 pm

asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:52 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:13 am
It definitely goes back further than the late 80's. There was a page in the Yearbook while I was in school about the use of "Appy State" saying that if other schools insist on using that name we will start calling them Chatty, Marshy, Davey, Furmy, etc. I graduated in 84 and that name preceded me.

That being said, the name "Happy Appy" was not particularly loathed and didn't carry the same reaction....at least to my recollection.
We shouldn't conflate "Happy Appy" with some rabid rival fan or rival sportscaster mouthing off about "loathsome hillbillies" or "miserable appys."

"Happy Appy" is a positive term. It reflects our good fortune in landing in such a magnificent setting and at such a splendid school. The bookstore used to sell handsome wall plaques incorporating the term. I know they sold, because we've had one since...uhhh...well let's just say we've had one for quite a while. :lol:

The "appy bombs" and the many snide or profane variations we get tossed our way speak for themselves and for the source...
Ran into a guy today who saw my license plate and he told me he almost went to Appy State. I didn't take it as an insult and certainly didn't correct him.



Longrifle28
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 599 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Several years later our soccer team retaliated to the 72-14 debacle by destroying an upstart chatty soccer team something like 22-0.


"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

WASU 93
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:09 pm

appchicago wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am
Tip 1: Don't call it Appy State. :) "App State," "Appalachian," "App," or maybe "ASU" if you must. But "Appy" makes heads explode.

Tip 2: You can often find good seats directly through the ticket office. GaSo is always a big game, but being on a Thursday night will mean the crowd will likely be a little lighter than usual, so I don't know if it will sell out. At least not right away. https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets ... T_LIST_ID= Single game tickets usually go on sale in late August.

Tip 3: No one is 100% sure what tailgating will be like this year. The west side of campus, near the stadium, is all under construction. There will be significant tailgating in what's left of Stadium Lot, I'm sure, but I don't know how much there will be. Raley Lot (on Rivers St) is usually a good bet, too, as are the top levels of the parking decks and any other major surface lot. Once again, this will be quieter than usual since this is a weeknight game, but still worth checking out.

Tip 4: This is all assuming you're not secretly a GaSo fan. If you are, most people will still be nice to you as long as you aren't a turd and can handle a little friendly ribbing. #failsouthern.
"Tailgating will be quieter than normal because it is a weeknight game" ???? The best tailgating that I ever witnessed on the Mountain was on THURSDAY, October 31, 2008 for a revenge game against Wofford. I expect this year to be no different.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle. ... ID=1615697



spacemonkey
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:25 am

Yep...best night at a home football game for me. The App Girls were incredibly good looking that night in their Halloween. I was defiantly a "Happy Appy" that night. Was that the first taste ESPN had of AppNation?



APPRIDE
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:29 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:52 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:09 pm
appchicago wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am
Tip 1: Don't call it Appy State. :) "App State," "Appalachian," "App," or maybe "ASU" if you must. But "Appy" makes heads explode.

Tip 2: You can often find good seats directly through the ticket office. GaSo is always a big game, but being on a Thursday night will mean the crowd will likely be a little lighter than usual, so I don't know if it will sell out. At least not right away. https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets ... T_LIST_ID= Single game tickets usually go on sale in late August.

Tip 3: No one is 100% sure what tailgating will be like this year. The west side of campus, near the stadium, is all under construction. There will be significant tailgating in what's left of Stadium Lot, I'm sure, but I don't know how much there will be. Raley Lot (on Rivers St) is usually a good bet, too, as are the top levels of the parking decks and any other major surface lot. Once again, this will be quieter than usual since this is a weeknight game, but still worth checking out.

Tip 4: This is all assuming you're not secretly a GaSo fan. If you are, most people will still be nice to you as long as you aren't a turd and can handle a little friendly ribbing. #failsouthern.
"Tailgating will be quieter than normal because it is a weeknight game" ???? The best tailgating that I ever witnessed on the Mountain was on THURSDAY, October 31, 2008 for a revenge game against Wofford. I expect this year to be no different.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle. ... ID=1615697
not to be nit picky, but the fact that this was a FRIDAY night game is significant in this case, for a host of reasons.



appchicago
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:06 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 328 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:21 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:52 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:09 pm
appchicago wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am
Tip 1: Don't call it Appy State. :) "App State," "Appalachian," "App," or maybe "ASU" if you must. But "Appy" makes heads explode.

Tip 2: You can often find good seats directly through the ticket office. GaSo is always a big game, but being on a Thursday night will mean the crowd will likely be a little lighter than usual, so I don't know if it will sell out. At least not right away. https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets ... T_LIST_ID= Single game tickets usually go on sale in late August.

Tip 3: No one is 100% sure what tailgating will be like this year. The west side of campus, near the stadium, is all under construction. There will be significant tailgating in what's left of Stadium Lot, I'm sure, but I don't know how much there will be. Raley Lot (on Rivers St) is usually a good bet, too, as are the top levels of the parking decks and any other major surface lot. Once again, this will be quieter than usual since this is a weeknight game, but still worth checking out.

Tip 4: This is all assuming you're not secretly a GaSo fan. If you are, most people will still be nice to you as long as you aren't a turd and can handle a little friendly ribbing. #failsouthern.
"Tailgating will be quieter than normal because it is a weeknight game" ???? The best tailgating that I ever witnessed on the Mountain was on THURSDAY, October 31, 2008 for a revenge game against Wofford. I expect this year to be no different.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle. ... ID=1615697
not to be nit picky, but the fact that this was a FRIDAY night game is significant in this case, for a host of reasons.
Yep. That was a Friday night. I was there. Super fun.

I hope I’m wrong, but I expect the tailgating at this game to be slightly less than normal, if only because I expect a truncated tailgating period and know that it might be tough for out if town fans to take two days off for the game.



User avatar
proasu89
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 546 times
Been thanked: 340 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:48 pm

Tailgating was fine for the Thursday night game in 2017. Even seemed like quite a few Southern fans made the trip.



WASU 93
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:02 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:52 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:09 pm
appchicago wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am
Tip 1: Don't call it Appy State. :) "App State," "Appalachian," "App," or maybe "ASU" if you must. But "Appy" makes heads explode.

Tip 2: You can often find good seats directly through the ticket office. GaSo is always a big game, but being on a Thursday night will mean the crowd will likely be a little lighter than usual, so I don't know if it will sell out. At least not right away. https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets ... T_LIST_ID= Single game tickets usually go on sale in late August.

Tip 3: No one is 100% sure what tailgating will be like this year. The west side of campus, near the stadium, is all under construction. There will be significant tailgating in what's left of Stadium Lot, I'm sure, but I don't know how much there will be. Raley Lot (on Rivers St) is usually a good bet, too, as are the top levels of the parking decks and any other major surface lot. Once again, this will be quieter than usual since this is a weeknight game, but still worth checking out.

Tip 4: This is all assuming you're not secretly a GaSo fan. If you are, most people will still be nice to you as long as you aren't a turd and can handle a little friendly ribbing. #failsouthern.
"Tailgating will be quieter than normal because it is a weeknight game" ???? The best tailgating that I ever witnessed on the Mountain was on THURSDAY, October 31, 2008 for a revenge game against Wofford. I expect this year to be no different.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle. ... ID=1615697
not to be nit picky, but the fact that this was a FRIDAY night game is significant in this case, for a host of reasons.
That's Fair. Regardless, I expect the Rock to be Electric.



NoLongerLurking
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone
Has thanked: 512 times
Been thanked: 436 times

Re: 2019 Ga Southern game need some advice

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:14 pm

Happy Independence Day to my Fellow Happy Appy 'Neers. Go 'Neers! Bugler's dream sucks!



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”