Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State UNC sold out in 30 minutes

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: App State UNC sold out in 30 minutes

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am

We didn't get aggressive with our play calling at PSU until we got down by 14 points in the 3rd quarter. Satt was content to play the conservative game until we had no choice. Once we went aggressive and started taking it down field we put their defense on its heels.

We also didn't use that same aggressive play calling in the Troy or ULL game. Satt was content to use the run, get ahead and then let the defense win the game. Go back and look at the stats and play calling used in both those games.

I believe Drink will be aggressive, as it is just his style. If we have Carolina on their heels for an entire game it will be a thing of beauty.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:06 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am
We didn't get aggressive with our play calling at PSU until we got down by 14 points in the 3rd quarter. Satt was content to play the conservative game until we had no choice. Once we went aggressive and started taking it down field we put their defense on its heels.

We also didn't use that same aggressive play calling in the Troy or ULL game. Satt was content to use the run, get ahead and then let the defense win the game. Go back and look at the stats and play calling used in both those games.

I believe Drink will be aggressive, as it is just his style. If we have Carolina on their heels for an entire game it will be a thing of beauty.
Just wondering what was wrong with Coach Satterfield's strategy? Is it just because we didn't bring home the win? Just curious. Not trying to be a smart aleck.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:14 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:16 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:47 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:25 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:55 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:41 pm
UNC Blog Ranks Opponent QB's and has Thomas at 3B.

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2019/6/21/1 ... r-rankings
I can see Zac being at 3 but I don't agree with Jake Bentley ranking that high.

I like the quote, "the App State game is going to be one of the most entertaining games of the year for Carolina fans."
I don't know enough about USC to make that call but I'll trust your judgement. One can hope that the game isn't entertaining for Carolina fans at all and that they are all sent home early. Looks like we can expect 28 to 34 points on offense based on the scoring from NC State in Drink's three years.

Also something to note, Drink hasn't lost to UNC and i'm sure he doesn't want to start now.
We put 38 on PSU. Will Carolina’s defense be better than PSU?
We also scored 21 against Troy and 27 against ULL.

But the past NCSU games don’t really tell us anything either, since, you know, that was a different team’s players who scored those points.

With all that said... I expect UNC’s defense to be vulnerable and think we can score pretty well on them. I also have a feeling we’ll need to.
Hmm. You are always kvetching about me beating a dead horse. What did you say in your post that had not been posted a dozen times by you and/or especially others?
Just curious.
Google SUX

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:14 am
EastHallApp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

I like the quote, "the App State game is going to be one of the most entertaining games of the year for Carolina fans."
I don't know enough about USC to make that call but I'll trust your judgement. One can hope that the game isn't entertaining for Carolina fans at all and that they are all sent home early. Looks like we can expect 28 to 34 points on offense based on the scoring from NC State in Drink's three years.

Also something to note, Drink hasn't lost to UNC and i'm sure he doesn't want to start now.

But the past NCSU games don’t really tell us anything either, since, you know, that was a different team’s players who scored those points.

With all that said... I expect UNC’s defense to be vulnerable and think we can score pretty well on them. I also have a feeling we’ll need to.
Hmm. You are always kvetching about me beating a dead horse. What did you say in your post that had not been posted a dozen times by you and/or especially others?
Just curious.
Good morning! Literally no one is interested in watching you and me hijack this thread to argue about something I posted to you on a different thread a week ago. Have a great day!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:40 am

A week ago? You mean 10 or 12 times over the last few years? i.e. you have no answer. Have a good day.
Google SUX

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:47 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 am
NewApp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:14 am
EastHallApp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Just curious.
Good morning! Literally no one is interested in watching you and me hijack this thread to argue about something I posted to you on a different thread a week ago. Have a great day!
I dont have a clue what you two are bickering about, but I'm always interested in a good thread hijack. They are almost always funny, and often lead to some unexpected piece of new (and usually off topic) information.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:52 am

Yep. But there is no answer to the critique of Coach Satterfield's strategy.
Google SUX

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am

Regarding Satts strategy (which worked btw), wonder if we would have seen two backward passes in the NOLA bowl if he had called the game?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:26 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am
Regarding Satts strategy (which worked btw), wonder if we would have seen two backward passes in the NOLA bowl if he had called the game?
It worked in the Sunbelt. To get over the hump in a P5 game, we needed more aggressive play calling the whole game.
I still think we were lucky to get past Troy and UL as conservative as we got. The D was wearing out and our runs up the middle were getting stuffed. I know you can’t argue with the results, but I think that was a weak spot in his play calls, and wonder if that will limit his success in the ACC.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:29 am

We went conservative against UL because ZT was less than 100% healthy and we wanted to limit the shots taken on him. Not everything is as it seems.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:51 am

Oh we were good but We were predictable is some key situations. It seemed we didnt use the speed we had to hit the corners enough to make it easier for backs up the middle.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:01 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:41 pm
UNC Blog Ranks Opponent QB's and has Thomas at 3B.

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2019/6/21/1 ... r-rankings

My comment was tongue in cheek about points being scored.

Fedora and Brown are two different coaches and are likely to have very different philosophies. Fedora had the classic trade-off of uptempo spread offense which sacrifices defense. I doubt Brown will make that same trade-off.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 pm

I also did not like the strategy sometimes, but wondered if there was something he was covering up that we would not see unless we were in his shoes. Another thought is that in order to keep the defensive line fresh, keeping the offense on the field for a while is important. Perhaps with the smaller line, if he went up tempo, he thought our defense would start to fold.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:48 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 pm
I also did not like the strategy sometimes, but wondered if there was something he was covering up that we would not see unless we were in his shoes. Another thought is that in order to keep the defensive line fresh, keeping the offense on the field for a while is important. Perhaps with the smaller line, if he went up tempo, he thought our defense would start to fold.
I did not think Satt was covering up for anything. But, I do think he realized long ago, being an assistant for Coach Moore, that the more time eaten up by the offense on the field, the better the defense is. If the opposing offense has less time on the field, it can not perform as well. It's just common sense. So, while I understand what everyone wants to see (more aggressive offensive play calling), everyone who is calling for that needs to realize the potential trade-off/risk is on the defensive side. A quick three and out puts the D on its heels. And, said another way, an 8 minute drive (which is usually NOT aggressive or exciting), means that opponent's offense cannot rack up the yards. To me, Coach Drink would do well to consider that we have some great running backs and the running game needs to be a big part of the game plan. If I had my druthers, we would have long 8 minute drives that INCLUDED some aggressive play calling (whatever that means).

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Let me just throw out a few facts. And don't get me wrong, I think Satt did a fantastic job at App and I am very glad we had him. He will go down as one of the best coaches we have ever had, no doubt. I am just talking about his style and strategy. At the end of the day he won Championships and bowls and ran a clean/highly regarded program.

Let's look at our offense relative to passing:
PSU 26-39 for 292 yds passing, total offense 451 yds
ULL #1 17-27 for 188 yds passing, total offense 328 yds (w/o Moore in fairness)
ULL #2 10-22 for 85 yds passing, total offense 301 yds

My general point is that in the big SBC games Satt would get much more conservative, try to get a lead and just let defense finish it. He would not keep the offense pressure on the other team. It did work for SBC but did not against P5 level competition. It kept us close in the games but ultimately we didn't have the W's to show at the end of the day. Now I am not saying this is the difference in those wins as we had chances to win with UT, Wake and PSU regardless. I am just making an observation.

I suspect Drink will play more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:49 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:41 pm
Let me just throw out a few facts. And don't get me wrong, I think Satt did a fantastic job at App and I am very glad we had him. He will go down as one of the best coaches we have ever had, no doubt. I am just talking about his style and strategy. At the end of the day he won Championships and bowls and ran a clean/highly regarded program.

My general point is that in the big SBC games Satt would get much more conservative, try to get a lead and just let defense finish it. He would not keep the offense pressure on the other team. It did work for SBC but did not against P5 level competition. It kept us close in the games but ultimately we didn't have the W's to show at the end of the day. Now I am not saying this is the difference in those wins as we had chances to win with UT, Wake and PSU regardless. I am just making an observation.

Don’t forget ULL #2 was not a good weather passing day.
Don’t forget Satt was 5-13 out of the gate.
Don’t forget Satt is a mountaineer and like him he had coaches and players who were all in.
Don’t forget he was the stability we needed for a most successful FBS transition.
Ready to see Drink and crew make us the Boise State of the East.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:49 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

Don’t forget Satt is a mountaineer and like him he had coaches and players who were all in.
Don’t forget he was the stability we needed for a most successful FBS transition.
Don't forget I said Satt did a fantastic job.

One thing I have learned in life is to be the best you have to be willing to be introspective and acknowledge that you can always improve. The best are never afraid to self analyze their own performances, so there is nothing wrong with taking an objective look at our own program's performance in order to make it better.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:15 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:09 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:49 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

Don't forget I said Satt did a fantastic job.

One thing I have learned in life is to be the best you have to be willing to be introspective and acknowledge that you can always improve. The best are never afraid to self analyze their own performances, so there is nothing wrong with taking an objective look at our own program's performance in order to make it better.
Agree with you ATL.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:28 am

The transitive property doesn't work in football because strategies are different and motivation is different....as well as other factors. Satterfield preferred a ball control strategy against teams who had the ability to run the ball (and thus potentially control the clock themselves). It results in lower scoring games. We won both Troy and UL (twice). That's the only critique that is necessary of the strategy.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:40 pm

From what I have read on here we have sold out away games at CLT last year and now Chapel Hill this year to schools who do not regularly sell out. By most accounts we travel really well and have a substantial showing virtually anywhere east of the Mississippi. What is it going to take for us to sell out home games? We need at least 25K for every home game. Legitimately asking, how many users on this board have season tickets, attend every game, and are Yosef Club members? Obvious free pass to people who live in a state that is not NC and doesn't adjoin to NC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”