Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North End Zone Construction

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: North End Zone Construction

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:04 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:35 am
ComebackShack wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:58 am
Time to get on with it.

https://www.dpr.com/projects/kidd-brewe ... h-end-zone
Really hope that is not what the final product looks like. The back side of the endzone building looks decent enough, but the field facing side looks awful and that gap in the seats down to the field is terrible.
There are likely to be wall sized windows facing the field from the weight room, similar to what ECU has. With lighting and other "beautification" outside the building thats not shown in the rendition, it should look fine.
I just hope they add a goal post to the North End Zone, or it's going to be like the game at Wrigley a few years ago where both offenses had to operate in the same direction. :lol:

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:52 am

I thought I vaguely remembered DG saying the lower level would be seats and built later. Seemed odd when I read/heard it. Looks odd. And I might have misunderstood.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:00 am

Seems possible the project has been scaled back.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:05 am

The apartments / condos I see being built in Charlotte use wood also. They have looked very similar to what we're seeing here. There will be other (Steel/concrete) components, but framing the interior walls is almost always done with wood....at least from the construction I've seen. I'm certainly NOT an expert on the subject.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:19 am

C'mon... I'm ready to see the NEZ project rise up from the gravel yard. Anybody in the know, please provide a status. I also wish I could be more patient.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:41 am

I’m actually pleasantly surprised with the rendition. I just don’t think we’re going to need to extra seating other than a game a year. There was a pretty informative article in The Athletic last week about how even the big boys like Alabama are downsizing the stadium and added luxury type amenities. Wish the money would have been spent on that but we did need some components that will be in the NEZ facility.

#100to0

Unread post by #100to0 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:44 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:40 am
Anyone have any idea why it is taking so long to start on the North End Zone? Looks like the space has been ready for a while now.
All deep utility work is complete, including Storm, Sewer, Water, and Fire. The deep foundations are all complete and the project is on schedule. The lack of project is not desirable, but it is planned due to the design not being complete or approved by State Construction.

#100to0

Unread post by #100to0 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:39 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 am
At least 2 parts of the project still haven't been bid out as of yet.

https://pdc.appstate.edu/rfps
That's a little odd. RFPs take time, even once bids are awarded, there are still contracts to negotiate and other hoops to jump through. I would have thought these bids would have been done months and months ago. I was hoping to see measurable progress this year, but with bids still outstanding that's not likely.
It has nothing to do with the RFP's, awarded bids, or contract negotiation. The estimating, public bidding, and contract awards can't take place until the design is complete.

#100to0

Unread post by #100to0 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 am

smokeshow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:36 pm
Should have gone with Shelco ffom the original design and price. If it was too much work with orginal GC to bring it in range and send them off. They did such a good job on the last one. Now we get a big national company who really doesn't care. Definitely huge delays here kn my opinion. This is coming from a PM in commercial construction.
First of all, Shelco never had a design or budgeted the project. Second, that big National Firm that "Doesn't Care" has been involved for over a year for free, planning, budgeting, working with all the University
Departments, and trying to push the design team to get a design. Finally, that big National Firm employs over 100 ASU Alumni in the Southeast. My understanding is, they have had two ASU interns, that have been hired full time, and they have raised a significant amount of money for local community programs in Boone like WYN (Western Youth Network).

The PM you are referring too probably is not a reliable source since that person has no idea how SCO (State Construction Office) design approval and procurement works. The athletic center that Shelco built was a combined design build, and hard bid process. The SCO process is set up to protect the North Carolina Universities and is a completely different procurement strategy. Although frustrating, it does take time.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:42 pm

DG just said on the David Glenn Show that the NEZ project is still on schedule and will have 12,000 sq. ft. conference room.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 pm

#100to0 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 am
smokeshow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:36 pm
Should have gone with Shelco ffom the original design and price. If it was too much work with orginal GC to bring it in range and send them off. They did such a good job on the last one. Now we get a big national company who really doesn't care. Definitely huge delays here kn my opinion. This is coming from a PM in commercial construction.
First of all, Shelco never had a design or budgeted the project. Second, that big National Firm that "Doesn't Care" has been involved for over a year for free, planning, budgeting, working with all the University
Departments, and trying to push the design team to get a design. Finally, that big National Firm employs over 100 ASU Alumni in the Southeast. My understanding is, they have had two ASU interns, that have been hired full time, and they have raised a significant amount of money for local community programs in Boone like WYN (Western Youth Network).

The PM you are referring too probably is not a reliable source since that person has no idea how SCO (State Construction Office) design approval and procurement works. The athletic center that Shelco built was a combined design build, and hard bid process. The SCO process is set up to protect the North Carolina Universities and is a completely different procurement strategy. Although frustrating, it does take time.
Thanks a bunch for this feedback. Just another example of the blowhards on here usually not knowing anything about what they’re speaking on. Much appreciated 100to1.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:11 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:42 pm
DG just said on the David Glenn Show that the NEZ project is still on schedule and will have 12,000 sq. ft. conference room.
To continue, DG said after the students arrive in a couple of weeks, we should start seeing the "concrete and steel".

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:50 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:08 pm
asu66 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:43 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:04 pm
I’m surprised...and disturbed to see so much wood in the new dorm. I had anticipated reinforced concrete floors and skeleton.
I had the same reaction. Maybe it's some temp support/brace technique until the metal and concrete can be staged. Count me as presently unimpressed!
Most of the new apartments I see being built in Charlotte are also wood.
The fire marshal in Charlotte said this was a very troubling building trend. Said it would be much more difficult to handle a fire in a large stick built structure. Surprised and troubled to see this in student dorms.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:50 pm
huskie3 wrote:
asu66 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
I’m surprised...and disturbed to see so much wood in the new dorm. I had anticipated reinforced concrete floors and skeleton.
I had the same reaction. Maybe it's some temp support/brace technique until the metal and concrete can be staged. Count me as presently unimpressed!
The fire marshal in Charlotte said this was a very troubling building trend. Said it would be much more difficult to handle a fire in a large stick built structure. Surprised and troubled to see this in student dorms.
Same with every other building almost these days. Cheaper and quicker to build.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:56 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:50 pm
huskie3 wrote:
asu66 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
With it being a student dorm and a "state" building, I would say that the amount of sprinklers in the structure would be substantial.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:09 pm

Parking Deck and Dorm Construction update podcast.

https://www.appstate.edu/appalachians-f ... odcast.php
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Look at the renderings they took away in my opinion the most important part of the new stadium!! There is no concourse!! The concourse would have been absolutely phenomenal!! It was a lot of money but was worth it IMO. Now you have a freestanding complex that has weird sandwich points. Hopefully they are building it to where in the future they can put in the concourse!

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Also whoever is saying bad things about stick built building don't know what they are talking about. It will adequately be sprinkled and for a dorm or residence hall that is normal style of construction. Cost really has nothing to do with it. Stick built vs. aluminum framing is a wash if anything its harder to find subs that are equipped to do stick built framing of this size. Also metal building are just a flammable if not worse than a stick built building it all depends on the fire stops and the amount of air that can fuel the fire. Metal burns the same way.

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:28 pm

The before renderings with out DPR would have created a stadium that would be the best in NC IMO!

#100to0

Unread post by #100to0 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:56 am

smokeshow wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:28 pm

The before renderings with out DPR would have created a stadium that would be the best in NC IMO!
Fact is, you are right this would have been a nice stadium. No opinion though, these renderings were never designed. Cost Estimate for these renderings would have most likely exceeded $100mm. State of North Carolina only granted a $35mm budget for construction. No contractor can decide the budget. Plus these renderings were only a design submission prior to selection. The Design Firm that was selected didn't produce these.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”