Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Official Fall Camp thread

ASU85Grad

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:15 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:37 pm
From Drink:

Luke Burnette and Nate Haskins are no longer on the team due to injuries, still enrolled at App.

Chris Willis will be out for the year with a “lower leg injury”. Hate to see that, thought he was gonna be in line for a big year.
One thing I do not understand. What kind of injury is career ending? The UCF quarterback had a horrible leg injury, and is supposed to come back next year. They can usually fix about anything. Just wondering?

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Can't fix head injuries or in some cases perhaps a player has suffered numerous injuries in a career and has decided he's had enough. And while medical science, as it applies to athletes, has made great progress, you can't fix everything. At least, not to the point you want to risk further injury.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:01 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 pm
Can't fix head injuries or in some cases perhaps a player has suffered numerous injuries in a career and has decided he's had enough. And while medical science, as it applies to athletes, has made great progress, you can't fix everything. At least, not to the point you want to risk further injury.
Head, I understand. For some reason I was under the impression they were leg injuries. My bad

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:23 pm

ASU85Grad wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:01 pm
hapapp wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 pm
Head, I understand. For some reason I was under the impression they were leg injuries. My bad
I was just giving a "for instance" here. I don't have any inside info.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:20 pm

Could be anything. Heart murmur. Narrow spinal canal....diabetes the list of items is very long that could be career ending

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:48 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:03 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:39 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:12 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am
biggie wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am

Depth is what he was coming for, most have said he isn't the best if he has to play though.
He has a chip on his shoulder and was a walk-on at UT. Like Thomas said over the summer, new coaching staff and everyone is fighting for a position. Competition level has been raised.
Also, possible that he is a better fit for our blocking scheme than Tennessee's. Some of our guys that have been great, may not have been successful at other programs because of the blocking scheme.
Have to remember that the scheme is changing as well. It's going to be an adjustment for everyone. Some of the guys lower on the chart may be better fits for the new system? Much ado about nothing at this point.
The scheme up front is not changing. Same OL coach from last year that learned the scheme from the former
OL coach at State who used it when he was at App.
I'm not an expert on offensive line play by any means. I assumed with different play calls and formations would come new responsibilities, even if the zone blocking scheme remained.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:41 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:20 pm
Could be anything. Heart murmur. Narrow spinal canal....diabetes the list of items is very long that could be career ending
Actually, exercise is good for most diabetes cases.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:45 am

AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
biggie wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am

Depth is what he was coming for, most have said he isn't the best if he has to play though.
He has a chip on his shoulder and was a walk-on at UT. Like Thomas said over the summer, new coaching staff and everyone is fighting for a position. Competition level has been raised.
Also, possible that he is a better fit for our blocking scheme than Tennessee's. Some of our guys that have been great, may not have been successful at other programs because of the blocking scheme.
Have to remember that the scheme is changing as well. It's going to be an adjustment for everyone. Some of the guys lower on the chart may be better fits for the new system? Much ado about nothing at this point.
The scheme up front is not changing. Same OL coach from last year that learned the scheme from the former
Not entirely true. Just the fact that they’ll be going under center will introduce new blocking schemes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Not entirely true. Just the fact that they’ll be going under center will introduce new blocking schemes.
How so?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:41 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

How so?
I believe 94 is right. Ledford took the same blocking scheme to NC State for which Drink's offense was run and the same will be run at App. There may be some minor tweaks on the passing side, but probably identical for running plays.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:26 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:41 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

How so?
I would think that when we are in the basic shotgun formation the gaps in the line can be wider to allow for a larger area to block. Once you go under center the gaps have to tighten or the defense will have larger areas to rush and can get into the backfield quicker? While I love that we will go under center more it will put more pressure on our tackles and tight ends. At least we don’t have to change things up against the traditional P5 power in the opener. Not to diminish ETSU but it will be easier to change things up against an easier opponent.

I remember years ago when the Panthers made it public that they were changing to a zone blocking scheme. Honestly I could not really see a huge difference other than that particular season they sucked and our QB was getting killed.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:58 am

Question:
In years past there has been a daily write up from camp. So far, I have only seen photos from camp. Is this a difference under Coach Drink, or is the coverage just not there this year?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 am

The Rock wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:58 am
Question:
In years past there has been a daily write up from camp. So far, I have only seen photos from camp. Is this a difference under Coach Drink, or is the coverage just not there this year?
Seems like the Reporting has been lacking since Jackson's departure. There used to be updates, including interviews, in multiple places including Rivals and 247 Sports.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:14 am

Updates
Interviews
Content
Game day Radio
Post-Game Radio

All lacking since DJ and Brown :(

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:28 am

It could be the change to FBS football that has altered the publicity change. Perhaps not wanting to show too much of our hand before someone "calls".

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 am

i dont recall anything too specific, just an update and some highlights of the day. Let you know which freshman were rising to the top and got an idea of potential depth chart at some positions. I thought we had some updates like that since we have been FBS

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:32 am

appstate77 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:28 am
It could be the change to FBS football that has altered the publicity change. Perhaps not wanting to show too much of our hand before someone "calls".
I believe daily practice updates similar to what was done before DJ left could give the people what they want without giving out what we don't need. People are curious, especially this Fall Camp, due to the coaching change, yet there is a vacuum with no information outside of 12 pictures per practice.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:06 am

Satterfield was much more open to press coverage than Drink has been thus far. Not saying its good or bad, but I believe Drink approaches it differently. I believe the media has access on Tuesday and Friday.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:53 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:06 am
Satterfield was much more open to press coverage than Drink has been thus far. Not saying its good or bad, but I believe Drink approaches it differently. I believe the media has access on Tuesday and Friday.
[/quote

Drink is probably just getting his feet wet, whereas Satterfield engrained in the system and surely had relationships established over his longevity. Drink will come around as those similar relationships evolve.
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:53 am
hapapp wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:06 am
[/quote

Drink is probably just getting his feet wet, whereas Satterfield engrained in the system and surely had relationships established over his longevity. Drink will come around as those similar relationships evolve.
That's what I was thinking also. Satterfield came in and it was BAU. Drink is making tweaks and establishing his own style and leadership. I can see why he might not want to do that on a stage. I'd love to get more updates but I'll trust Drink to get things done. I can't wait until 8/31!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”