Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Official Fall Camp thread

AppGrad78
School: Appalachian State

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:40 am

I think, by curtailing media access and by limiting the offerings from our Sports Information staff, our new head coach and our university are missing an opportunity to promote the program. In order to become the G5 power we all hope to be, we clearly need to sell more season tickets. This seems to run counter to those goals.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:43 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:40 am
I think, by curtailing media access and by limiting the offerings from our Sports Information staff, our new head coach and our university are missing an opportunity to promote the program. In order to become the G5 power we all hope to be, we clearly need to sell more season tickets. This seems to run counter to those goals.
I’m genuinely curious, what aren’t you seeing this year that you have in the past? Maybe I’m just missing something here.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:43 am

Demand? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Come on, Ericsaid, I know you're an avid fan but issuing demands sounds awfully "entitled", don't you think? Geez, let the man run HIS program HIS way.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:01 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 am
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:12 pm

We do things differently now. No sense in complaining about it because it isn't going to change.

youll get nothing.jpg
The point is that with the first new coach from outside the program since Jerry Moore, you'd think App would want to put more information out there, not less. From a marketing stand point it doesn't make sense, and from a fan excitement standpoint (not the good ol' boys club) it doesn't make sense. You would think recruits who may be trying to follow App may be a bit disappointed at the JV level coverage as well.
What information are you going to even get from “daily updates”? I’ve read daily updates during the SS years behind pay walls and always found them pretty useless. Especially considering we pretty much know the depth chart. In the end this is just another very small thing to complain about. If Drink starts taking L’s and is still this guarded from the media without answering questions then it should be a problem.
Right now, with so little information of any kind other than the coach speak from Media Day, no one outside the Program has any real idea of what's going on. In September none of it will really matter, per say, but App has a mini-battle for the Carolina's coming up this season and it would be great to see some enthusiasm from official sources.

Note: This isn't purely for selfish or unselfish reasons. We all wait 8 months for Football to come back around and it only lasts about 4-months. Information is the driver of program excitement in many ways, particularly with a Rookie Head Coach and new system in place.

I demand more information with "Pride, Passion, & Purpose", because that's how I live my life.
I’m seeing just as much coverage this morning as I have in years past.
I seem to recall David Jackson having daily reports up with quite a bit more detail than I'm seeing now. Might have been 10 years ago but it was there. With Satterfield as coach and Lamb as a four-year starter, we all got used to what the interesting story would be.

Now you have the first outside coach since Jerry Moore was brought in, the first new offense since 2004, 2013, and 2014, and you're replacing FOUR guys on defense who are now in NFL Training Camps.

All four starters gone from the defense are now in the NFL...has that ever happened at App? I would think that provides for an interesting story line that the casual fan/recruit may be interested in hearing about.

The point is, after scouring multiple P5 and G5 schools athletics pages, App's coverage is similar to a lower level G5/FCS school.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:43 am
Demand? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Come on, Ericsaid, I know you're an avid fan but issuing demands sounds awfully "entitled", don't you think? Geez, let the man run HIS program HIS way.
It was a tongue in cheek statement. I feel that the mantra "Pride, Passion & Purpose" is quite strong, and the only word as strong as that phrase I could muster was "demand". Forgive me if it came across as entitled.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
THANK YOU!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 am

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... year-coach

App getting more coverage on ESPN than anywhere!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:31 am

That reminds me, my boss said Zac was on ESPN last Thursday morning...anybody see that? Or have a link to the segment?

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 am

Yosef10 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:
I’m genuinely curious, what aren’t you seeing this year that you have in the past? Maybe I’m just missing something here.
The media are given fewer access days from which to generate stories.

The one university-written camp report that I’ve seen was laughable in how little information was in it.

No “Around The Mountain”-style audio reports.

Today’s App State takeover on the David Glenn Show is a step in the right direction. We just need more of it, not less.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 am

I expect Pierre Banks will continue to do his position by position reports beginning next week.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 am
Yosef10 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:
The media are given fewer access days from which to generate stories.

The one university-written camp report that I’ve seen was laughable in how little information was in it.

No “Around The Mountain”-style audio reports.

Today’s App State takeover on the David Glenn Show is a step in the right direction. We just need more of it, not less.
Around the Mountain and other media reports from local news sources and the schools athletics site were far more elaborate at one point than we've seen in recent times.

You would think App is a NFL team trying to curtail media coverage of install periods for new schemes.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Demand? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

It was a tongue in cheek statement. I feel that the mantra "Pride, Passion & Purpose" is quite strong, and the only word as strong as that phrase I could muster was "demand". Forgive me if it came across as entitled.
No apologies needed for tongue-in-cheek. Thanks for clarifying. I know you get pretty passionate in some of your posts (here and on CSNBBS) so I misinterpreted. My bad. Carry on.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:51 am

I have missed the weekly coaches show we used to have. It seems every other school has one. I know down here in Greenville, SC every Sunday morning Furman and Wofford have a weekly show.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:43 pm

The 247 site (AppStateMania.com) is one of the media outlets allowed to be at practice on Tuesday and Friday. The site has an interview with Drink, Riley, and Stewart, and a nice article with Roof. In addition he has shared some of his observations and insights. I realize some don't want to pay for the information and that's fine. I'm just letting folks know, if you didn't already, that there is a site that might be worth checking out.

I love it here and visit here as often as I do there but ASM does a good job of getting great information on all the programs plus the benefit of Firemoose's work on recruiting.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:20 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:43 pm
The 247 site (AppStateMania.com) is one of the media outlets allowed to be at practice on Tuesday and Friday. The site has an interview with Drink, Riley, and Stewart, and a nice article with Roof. In addition he has shared some of his observations and insights. I realize some don't want to pay for the information and that's fine. I'm just letting folks know, if you didn't already, that there is a site that might be worth checking out.

I love it here and visit here as often as I do there but ASM does a good job of getting great information on all the programs plus the benefit of Firemoose's work on recruiting.
Not behind a paywall.

https://247sports.com/college/appalachi ... 134248340/

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:34 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:20 pm
hapapp wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Not behind a paywall.

https://247sports.com/college/appalachi ... 134248340/
The observations and insights are behind the wall.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:43 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:32 pm
You understand that this isn’t App driven. This is Coach driven.
See, I've been thinking its not the coach but rather the folks in the sports information office and related departments (athletic dept website, Whitten and radio guys, etc).

The lack of info is not new this year, it has been going on for a few years.

How come I can go on YouTube and find highlight packages, full games, practice reports, coaches shows, press conferences, and the like going back years for schools across the country - and not just P5s but the likes of Ga Southern, Coastal, Troy, and Charlotte - released by the school's athletic dept? But not App State - only 4 year old hype videos - when the information dept was better. A YouTube search for something like "App State football highlights 2018" yields hundreds of results published by our various opponents' athletic departments (again highlights, full games, pre and post game press conferences etc) but nothing by App State itself.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:29 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:43 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
See, I've been thinking its not the coach but rather the folks in the sports information office and related departments (athletic dept website, Whitten and radio guys, etc).

How come I can go on YouTube and find highlight packages, full games, practice reports, coaches shows, press conferences, and the like going back years for schools across the country - and not just P5s but the likes of Ga Southern, Coastal, Troy, and Charlotte - released by the school's athletic dept? But not App State - only 4 year old hype videos - when the information dept was better. A YouTube search for something like "App State football highlights 2018" yields hundreds of results published by our various opponents' athletic departments (again highlights, full games, pre and post game press conferences etc) but nothing by App State itself.
Because when Jackson left, and ESPN Plus became a thing, it looks like App doesn't have the money to put out a decent media campaign. Lack of a media campaign in a media driven world is a scary thought for the program honestly.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The access has been limited to a handful of people and they have been given parameters that are unlike those in the past.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The access has been limited to a handful of people and they have been given parameters that are unlike those in the past.
That may be true, but our social media promotion has been behind our peers for years.

For example, it would have both easy and cheap (free) for the athletic dept to put all of Satterfield's post-game pressers up on YouTube like Ga Southern and many others did last year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”