• Birthdays

Official Fall Camp thread

appfan22
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by appfan22 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:12 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 am


Almost all P5 programs I've checked including Miami and NC State have daily practice updates. On top of that the local papers have access for interviews and publish good information about the state of the team in camp.
We do things differently now. No sense in complaining about it because it isn't going to change.

youll get nothing.jpg
The point is that with the first new coach from outside the program since Jerry Moore, you'd think App would want to put more information out there, not less. From a marketing stand point it doesn't make sense, and from a fan excitement standpoint (not the good ol' boys club) it doesn't make sense. You would think recruits who may be trying to follow App may be a bit disappointed at the JV level coverage as well.
What information are you going to even get from “daily updates”? I’ve read daily updates during the SS years behind pay walls and always found them pretty useless. Especially considering we pretty much know the depth chart. In the end this is just another very small thing to complain about. If Drink starts taking L’s and is still this guarded from the media without answering questions then it should be a problem.
Right now, with so little information of any kind other than the coach speak from Media Day, no one outside the Program has any real idea of what's going on. In September none of it will really matter, per say, but App has a mini-battle for the Carolina's coming up this season and it would be great to see some enthusiasm from official sources.

Note: This isn't purely for selfish or unselfish reasons. We all wait 8 months for Football to come back around and it only lasts about 4-months. Information is the driver of program excitement in many ways, particularly with a Rookie Head Coach and new system in place.

I demand more information with "Pride, Passion, & Purpose", because that's how I live my life.
W’s are the driver of program excitement. 24 days from now, you’ll have all the information need.

As much as I know you want to validate your scalding hot take, I can promise you that you aren’t missing DBG overtake ZT’s job.



appfan22
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by appfan22 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 pm




User avatar
biggie
Site Admin
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Clemmons
Has thanked: 573 times
Been thanked: 476 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by biggie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:45 am

Peoples and Evans look good there. 17 could be a wirey slot it looks like.

Who is the RB wearing 45? Looks small.



The Rock
Posts: 1338
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 572 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:06 am

who is the WR wearing #4? Is it Raykwon Anderson?



AppySprayberry
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by AppySprayberry » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:06 am
who is the WR wearing #4? Is it Raykwon Anderson?
RB Daetrich Harrington.




Yosef10
Posts: 1317
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am




ericsaid
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 am

appfan22 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:12 pm

We do things differently now. No sense in complaining about it because it isn't going to change.

youll get nothing.jpg
The point is that with the first new coach from outside the program since Jerry Moore, you'd think App would want to put more information out there, not less. From a marketing stand point it doesn't make sense, and from a fan excitement standpoint (not the good ol' boys club) it doesn't make sense. You would think recruits who may be trying to follow App may be a bit disappointed at the JV level coverage as well.
What information are you going to even get from “daily updates”? I’ve read daily updates during the SS years behind pay walls and always found them pretty useless. Especially considering we pretty much know the depth chart. In the end this is just another very small thing to complain about. If Drink starts taking L’s and is still this guarded from the media without answering questions then it should be a problem.
Right now, with so little information of any kind other than the coach speak from Media Day, no one outside the Program has any real idea of what's going on. In September none of it will really matter, per say, but App has a mini-battle for the Carolina's coming up this season and it would be great to see some enthusiasm from official sources.

Note: This isn't purely for selfish or unselfish reasons. We all wait 8 months for Football to come back around and it only lasts about 4-months. Information is the driver of program excitement in many ways, particularly with a Rookie Head Coach and new system in place.

I demand more information with "Pride, Passion, & Purpose", because that's how I live my life.
W’s are the driver of program excitement. 24 days from now, you’ll have all the information need.

As much as I know you want to validate your scalding hot take, I can promise you that you aren’t missing DBG overtake ZT’s job.
I haven't once referred to the need for information on QB's in this thread. I didn't refer to the need for information on any specific position group in this or any other thread.

Other posters here have echoed my sentiments that the coverage is JV and that in today's world of instant access to most all information, the lack of information can be construed, right or wrong, as a lack of professional ability in marketing. Information drives marketing of the team, building hype, recruiting, season ticket sales, Yosef Club donations, etc.

Attacking my motivation for requesting more information isn't a valid form of argument. Truth be told, attacking anyones motivation when arguing a point invalidates any premise and conclusion you've reached. In this case, I haven't mentioned DBG in this thread or Thomas. I specifically mentioned the defense because of the fact that App, for the first time that I know of, is replacing four guys who are, for the time being, on NFL rosters. Each starter lost is now at the top level of football. That is a story worth following. Hell, even marketing the fact that you have 7 guys returning on defense, with the 4 lost being in a NFL training camp, would be something that could help out with recruiting.

If you want to have a real discussion, perhaps justify the lack of information from the program and the positive effect that will have on recruiting, ticket sales, Yosef Club donations and the like? That would be one road you could take.

TLDR; you made no point here. Haven't mentioned DBG or Thomas. Only the defense replacing four guys who are now in the NFL. Big deal. Market it. Package it. Sell it. Recruit on it.



ericsaid
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am

appfan22 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 pm
Jackson (52) got bigger in the offseason. Might be the most athletic looking ILB App has had since transitioning to the 3-4.



Appstate88
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 539 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:58 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 am
I expect Pierre Banks will continue to do his position by position reports beginning next week.
Linebackers position report "the heart of our odd front (3-4) D".




appfan22
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by appfan22 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:56 am

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 am
appfan22 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm


The point is that with the first new coach from outside the program since Jerry Moore, you'd think App would want to put more information out there, not less. From a marketing stand point it doesn't make sense, and from a fan excitement standpoint (not the good ol' boys club) it doesn't make sense. You would think recruits who may be trying to follow App may be a bit disappointed at the JV level coverage as well.
What information are you going to even get from “daily updates”? I’ve read daily updates during the SS years behind pay walls and always found them pretty useless. Especially considering we pretty much know the depth chart. In the end this is just another very small thing to complain about. If Drink starts taking L’s and is still this guarded from the media without answering questions then it should be a problem.
Right now, with so little information of any kind other than the coach speak from Media Day, no one outside the Program has any real idea of what's going on. In September none of it will really matter, per say, but App has a mini-battle for the Carolina's coming up this season and it would be great to see some enthusiasm from official sources.

Note: This isn't purely for selfish or unselfish reasons. We all wait 8 months for Football to come back around and it only lasts about 4-months. Information is the driver of program excitement in many ways, particularly with a Rookie Head Coach and new system in place.

I demand more information with "Pride, Passion, & Purpose", because that's how I live my life.
W’s are the driver of program excitement. 24 days from now, you’ll have all the information need.

As much as I know you want to validate your scalding hot take, I can promise you that you aren’t missing DBG overtake ZT’s job.
I haven't once referred to the need for information on QB's in this thread. I didn't refer to the need for information on any specific position group in this or any other thread.

Other posters here have echoed my sentiments that the coverage is JV and that in today's world of instant access to most all information, the lack of information can be construed, right or wrong, as a lack of professional ability in marketing. Information drives marketing of the team, building hype, recruiting, season ticket sales, Yosef Club donations, etc.

Attacking my motivation for requesting more information isn't a valid form of argument. Truth be told, attacking anyones motivation when arguing a point invalidates any premise and conclusion you've reached. In this case, I haven't mentioned DBG in this thread or Thomas. I specifically mentioned the defense because of the fact that App, for the first time that I know of, is replacing four guys who are, for the time being, on NFL rosters. Each starter lost is now at the top level of football. That is a story worth following. Hell, even marketing the fact that you have 7 guys returning on defense, with the 4 lost being in a NFL training camp, would be something that could help out with recruiting.

If you want to have a real discussion, perhaps justify the lack of information from the program and the positive effect that will have on recruiting, ticket sales, Yosef Club donations and the like? That would be one road you could take.

TLDR; you made no point here. Haven't mentioned DBG or Thomas. Only the defense replacing four guys who are now in the NFL. Big deal. Market it. Package it. Sell it. Recruit on it.
Patience with the new staff and understanding things change with new regimes were the only points I was trying to make. I was annoyed at the 3 pages of “sky is falling” attitude over the lack of media/information access after 4 DAYS of camp. Trust the process!

To your recruiting point - If I’m a 17 year old kid on App’s radar, I knew about the NFL talent within 10 minutes of my first conversation with a staff member. I don’t need to see it plastered all over social media or fan forums - I trust that the people who need to know, already know.



EastHallApp
Posts: 5478
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2384 times
Been thanked: 1907 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am
Loved seeing the quote from Shawn Clark.
Me too, and I love the quotes from Drink as well. Not afraid to set the bar high.



Yosef10
Posts: 1317
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:16 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am
Loved seeing the quote from Shawn Clark.
Me too, and I love the quotes from Drink as well. Not afraid to set the bar high.
Yeah and I don’t blame Satt for saying it cause it’s more true than not, but you can pretty much imply that Drink thinks this program can get to a NY6 bowl while in Satts intro presser at UL he said they had done and accomplished all you can here. I just like having a staff that sees that as the ultimate goal.



Goapps15
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 611 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:54 pm

That was one thing I didn’t agree with on Satts presser at UL.

At the G5 level winning P5 games gets you more exposure than consistently winning in your league. Winning P5 games of interest does more for ticket sales and Yosef Club than 6 of our 8 conference games/wins a year.

Sidebar love Drink and Clark’s comments. You should always have lofty goals and expectations.



ericsaid
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:59 pm

appfan22 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:56 am
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 am
appfan22 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 pm


What information are you going to even get from “daily updates”? I’ve read daily updates during the SS years behind pay walls and always found them pretty useless. Especially considering we pretty much know the depth chart. In the end this is just another very small thing to complain about. If Drink starts taking L’s and is still this guarded from the media without answering questions then it should be a problem.
Right now, with so little information of any kind other than the coach speak from Media Day, no one outside the Program has any real idea of what's going on. In September none of it will really matter, per say, but App has a mini-battle for the Carolina's coming up this season and it would be great to see some enthusiasm from official sources.

Note: This isn't purely for selfish or unselfish reasons. We all wait 8 months for Football to come back around and it only lasts about 4-months. Information is the driver of program excitement in many ways, particularly with a Rookie Head Coach and new system in place.

I demand more information with "Pride, Passion, & Purpose", because that's how I live my life.
W’s are the driver of program excitement. 24 days from now, you’ll have all the information need.

As much as I know you want to validate your scalding hot take, I can promise you that you aren’t missing DBG overtake ZT’s job.
I haven't once referred to the need for information on QB's in this thread. I didn't refer to the need for information on any specific position group in this or any other thread.

Other posters here have echoed my sentiments that the coverage is JV and that in today's world of instant access to most all information, the lack of information can be construed, right or wrong, as a lack of professional ability in marketing. Information drives marketing of the team, building hype, recruiting, season ticket sales, Yosef Club donations, etc.

Attacking my motivation for requesting more information isn't a valid form of argument. Truth be told, attacking anyones motivation when arguing a point invalidates any premise and conclusion you've reached. In this case, I haven't mentioned DBG in this thread or Thomas. I specifically mentioned the defense because of the fact that App, for the first time that I know of, is replacing four guys who are, for the time being, on NFL rosters. Each starter lost is now at the top level of football. That is a story worth following. Hell, even marketing the fact that you have 7 guys returning on defense, with the 4 lost being in a NFL training camp, would be something that could help out with recruiting.

If you want to have a real discussion, perhaps justify the lack of information from the program and the positive effect that will have on recruiting, ticket sales, Yosef Club donations and the like? That would be one road you could take.

TLDR; you made no point here. Haven't mentioned DBG or Thomas. Only the defense replacing four guys who are now in the NFL. Big deal. Market it. Package it. Sell it. Recruit on it.
Patience with the new staff and understanding things change with new regimes were the only points I was trying to make. I was annoyed at the 3 pages of “sky is falling” attitude over the lack of media/information access after 4 DAYS of camp. Trust the process!

To your recruiting point - If I’m a 17 year old kid on App’s radar, I knew about the NFL talent within 10 minutes of my first conversation with a staff member. I don’t need to see it plastered all over social media or fan forums - I trust that the people who need to know, already know.
There is no "sky is falling" attitude. There are questions. Is App's media campaign JV? Or is it Varsity? Every school utilizes media now more than ever as a means to establishing a perception of their program. Right or wrong, 17-year old kids are more in tune with media than any age group before them, and that will only continue to grow. Ignorance of that fact doesn't change the perception.

Recruiting isn't always one sided. Media usage expands possibilities and is relatively cheap to create considering the possible benefits.

Either way, times have changed. Not everything is in print. Kids don't learn about schools through newspapers.



EastHallApp
Posts: 5478
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2384 times
Been thanked: 1907 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:00 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:16 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am
Loved seeing the quote from Shawn Clark.
Me too, and I love the quotes from Drink as well. Not afraid to set the bar high.
Yeah and I don’t blame Satt for saying it cause it’s more true than not, but you can pretty much imply that Drink thinks this program can get to a NY6 bowl while in Satts intro presser at UL he said they had done and accomplished all you can here. I just like having a staff that sees that as the ultimate goal.
Absolutely. I don’t take any issue with Satt - that’s the kind of thing you say when you take a new job. I’m sure he wanted to win those P5 games as much as anyone, and more often than not he had us well prepared for them.

I just like that Drink isn’t trying to limit what’s possible. He could talk about winning the conference like that’s the ultimate goal, and I’m sure he realizes there’s a much higher probability of attaining that than, say, the NY6. But he’s sending a message - to current players, recruits, fans, you name it - that App State still has room to grow.



Yosef10
Posts: 1317
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:54 pm
That was one thing I didn’t agree with on Satts presser at UL.

At the G5 level winning P5 games gets you more exposure than consistently winning in your league. Winning P5 games of interest does more for ticket sales and Yosef Club than 6 of our 8 conference games/wins a year.

Sidebar love Drink and Clark’s comments. You should always have lofty goals and expectations.
Yeah i mean i know this isn’t what most people would wanna hear but I’d probably rather have P5 wins than winning the sunbelt, if it was a choice. I’m sure having ECU grads as friends where they still brag about beating State and UNC in 3-9 seasons and act like winning the sunbelt isn’t anything has something to do with that.



Goapps15
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 611 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:03 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:54 pm
That was one thing I didn’t agree with on Satts presser at UL.

At the G5 level winning P5 games gets you more exposure than consistently winning in your league. Winning P5 games of interest does more for ticket sales and Yosef Club than 6 of our 8 conference games/wins a year.

Sidebar love Drink and Clark’s comments. You should always have lofty goals and expectations.
Yeah i mean i know this isn’t what most people would wanna hear but I’d probably rather have P5 wins than winning the sunbelt, if it was a choice. I’m sure having ECU grads as friends where they still brag about beating State and UNC in 3-9 seasons and act like winning the sunbelt isn’t anything has something to do with that.
Mine was more of I’d take 8-4 or 9-3 like Troy has had. The 3-9 doesn’t fly even if you beat only your P5s and GSU



User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1071
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 377 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:52 am

Let’s be honest. I don’t want to win some P5 games and end up 8-5 or 11-2. You have to win P5s and SBC. Your body of work is very important. We do have more to accomplish than what Satt and Co did. Go 13-0 a year or two in a row and then we can argue point we should be the NY6 G5 rep. Or more. Bottom line is that is our next bar and Drink and Co. know that.



Appstate88
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 539 times

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:39 am

App State Sports Weekly Podcast is available (8.8.2019) on App Vision.

The Banks brothers interview several players (Fehr, Sherm, Souba) stepping into leadership roles. "Defense wins Championships!"

Volleyball coach and players also interviewed in the second half of podcast.

Worth a listen... Here's the link.

https://appstatesports.com/showcase/emb ... chive=1355



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”