Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Baker Mayfield of the SunBelt

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Baker Mayfield of the SunBelt

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:11 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/25-mos ... ssion=true

While I think ZT is a much more humble and likeable person, it’s a good mention and says he has draftable arm talent.

ericsaid

Re: Baker Mayfield of the SunBelt

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:16 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:11 pm

While I think ZT is a much more humble and likeable person, it’s a good mention and says he has draftable arm talent.
What about Mayfield isn't likeable? Dude went from Walk-on to Heisman Trophy winner and first overall pick. He then proceeds to break Payton Manning's rookie record for touchdown passes.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:27 pm

and at #23 in the same column ....by the arrest and suspension of star quarterback Shai Werts amid the now-infamous cocaine-bird poop incident.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:16 pm
The Rock wrote:

What about Mayfield isn't likeable? Dude went from Walk-on to Heisman Trophy winner and first overall pick. He then proceeds to break Payton Manning's rookie record for touchdown passes.
He’s cocky, arrogant, walked the side lines grabbing his crotch, tried to run from the cops while drunk, stared down a former coach during a game...

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:43 am

The Rock wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:16 pm
The Rock wrote:

He’s cocky, arrogant, walked the side lines grabbing his crotch, tried to run from the cops while drunk, stared down a former coach during a game...
But he backs all of it up. I would dislike him if his confidence was unfounded but that's his edge. He's 6 feet tall, a walk-on at two schools, Heisman trophy winner, and broke a NFL record his rookie season. If I'm a Browns fan, grab your crotch, butt, tongue, I don't care.

He's not Johnny Manziel. He's now Jameis Winston. He puts in the work so he can do those things (other than drunkenly run from police) and back it up.

Not a huge fan of arrogance, founded or not. But his appears more about little man syndrome in a big man's sport than pure arrogance.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:13 am

I prefer Zac’s demeanor.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:44 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:13 am
I prefer Zac’s demeanor.
There are many great athletes who do not appreciate their ability and what it could afford them in life. I dont get the impression that Zac will ever display that sense of entitlement, shown through arrogance or lack of respect for others or the law. Athletic ability is a fleeting gift. Appreciate it while you have it and make the most of it. But use the attention it gives you to contribute to society in a positive way. That is the difference to me in Zac Thomas and Corey Sutton. Your actions affect your team, your university, and most importantly your family. That is what makes Zac Thomas special.

BurlingtonApp

Unread post by BurlingtonApp » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:44 am
Saint3333 wrote:
I prefer Zac’s demeanor.
There are many great athletes who do not appreciate their ability and what it could afford them in life. I dont get the impression that Zac will ever display that sense of entitlement, shown through arrogance or lack of respect for others or the law. Athletic ability is a fleeting gift. Appreciate it while you have it and make the most of it. But use the attention it gives you to contribute to society in a positive way. That is the difference to me in Zac Thomas and Corey Sutton. Your actions affect your team, your university, and most importantly your family. That is what makes Zac Thomas special.
Making a whole lot of judgements about Sutton based on one incident with a substance that's legal in almost half of the country. Corey has represented himself and App very well off the field in every other circumstance, and plays extremely hard on the field too. No reason to throw one Mountaineer under the bus to lift up another.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 am

BurlingtonApp wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am
Appster99 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
I prefer Zac’s demeanor.
Making a whole lot of judgements about Sutton based on one incident with a substance that's legal in almost half of the country. Corey has represented himself and App very well off the field in every other circumstance, and plays extremely hard on the field too. No reason to throw one Mountaineer under the bus to lift up another.
I respect and understand your point about throwing one Mountaineer under the bus to lift up another. Yes, in hindsight I could have chosen a better example. However, I dont buy your "legal in almost half the country" defense. I am all for the legalization of pot, but the fact is it is not legal in North Carolina. He broke the law. Period. As a tax payer and Proud Yosef Club member I hold student athletes, whose scholarships are provided in part by my hard earned dollars, to a higher standard. My wish for Corey is that he learns from this incident and changes his behavior. I truly wish him well...if he gets his head right. His action affect a lot of people, not just him.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:33 am

I have broken many laws. You have too.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 am

appchicago wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:33 am
If I'd been arrested for every law I broke while a college student, I'd be serving a life sentence.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:23 am

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 am
BurlingtonApp wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am
Appster99 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
I prefer Zac’s demeanor.
I respect and understand your point about throwing one Mountaineer under the bus to lift up another. Yes, in hindsight I could have chosen a better example. However, I dont buy your "legal in almost half the country" defense. I am all for the legalization of pot, but the fact is it is not legal in North Carolina. He broke the law. Period. As a tax payer and Proud Yosef Club member I hold student athletes, whose scholarships are provided in part by my hard earned dollars, to a higher standard. My wish for Corey is that he learns from this incident and changes his behavior. I truly wish him well...if he gets his head right. His action affect a lot of people, not just him.
Our region has long had a history of growing/making/consuming drugs that were illegal at times.

having and smoking a little weed is literally the last thing i'm worried about our players doing. Make him sit out a quarter of the ETSU game for the aggravation hes caused by the pearl clutchers.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 am
appchicago wrote:
If I'd been arrested for every law I broke while a college student, I'd be serving a life sentence.
Dayum, did you kill someone?
BLACK SATURDAY

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:35 pm

appchicago wrote:
Thankfully I am not a College Athlete with a Full Scholarship, nor do I have teammates who depend on me to do my job and not be a distraction to a new coaching staff. But if I were in that situation, I would like to think I would act in a manner that respected the gifts I was given. For the love of pete, if you are going to smoke weed do it in the privacy of your home and not in your car in case you get stopped.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:35 pm
appchicago wrote:
Thankfully I am not a College Athlete with a Full Scholarship, nor do I have teammates who depend on me to do my job and not be a distraction to a new coaching staff. But if I were in that situation, I would like to think I would act in a manner that respected the gifts I was given. For the love of pete, if you are going to smoke weed do it in the privacy of your home and not in your car in case you get stopped.

Tried to make this point on the original thread. Give it up, some of the folks just don’t want to here that there is anything wrong with what happened here. I made the same point, even if you love pot and think it should be legal it’s not and this was a selfish act that hurts the team as a whole. Just to be clear, one more time. It’s not the end of the world, but it is a distraction to the team. The young man in question by almost all accounts is an asset to our university and the team and I continue to support him as such.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Lots of assumptions here. We don’t even know that he was smoking at the time. Just because you can smell marijuana in the car doesn’t mean that he was smoking at the time.

Weird how people don’t get all self-righteous about athletes getting caught speeding which is dangerous and against the law too.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:35 pm
appchicago wrote:
Sure. It's not the best move. Pot is illegal--whether or not we think it should be. But your comments about Zac, for which you selected Corey as the counter-example, are below:
I dont get the impression that Zac will ever display that sense of entitlement, shown through arrogance or lack of respect for others or the law. Athletic ability is a fleeting gift. Appreciate it while you have it and make the most of it. But use the attention it gives you to contribute to society in a positive way.
Corey may have broken the law. But I don't think that means he has a sense of entitlement, that he is arrogant, that he lacks respect for others, that he doesn't appreciate his gifts, or that he isn't contributing to society in a positive way.

I don't even think it means he doesn't respect the law. Were you disrespecting the law when you drove four mph over the speed limit this weekend? You ever jaywalk or fail to stop when a pedestrian is waiting to cross at a marked crosswalk? Are our 20 year old students disrespecting the law when they have a beer at a cookout?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm
appchicago wrote:
:lol: Not for the extent of the crimes, but for the number of them, all minor. :lol:

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm
appchicago wrote:
:lol: Not for the extent of the crimes, but for the number of them, all minor. :lol:
"sentences to run consecutively"
Give 'em hell!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Another decent topic off the rails

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”