Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SBNation UNC preview article - interesting

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

SBNation UNC preview article - interesting

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 am

Here is an interesting UNC-App State preview from UNC side of SBNation.

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2019/8/13/2 ... hian-state

Nothing earth shattering about his conclusion as he is a Carolina homer writer. However, what jumps out is his lack of research and knowledge of the opponent that he is "evaluating". The point I want to make to any writers is to "Do your homework". If you did and still have a reason for a prediction then fine but don't put stuff out without doing basic research.

A few examples:
He says we inexplicably got dusted by Ga Southern. Clearly he failed to look into any details as to why that anomaly occurred. I saw a Clemson article recently discussing their only close call in ACC play last year and they led by saying Lawrence got knocked out of that game after Kelly Bryant had just left the program.

Another case he mixes up Charlotte and Coastal Carolina.

His point about Zac is his stats don't match his tape. Clearly he saw stats and then probably watched Penn State or a few other snippets. He probably didn't even know he was basically out for several games.

This is typical homer P5 writers mailing it in. Just do your job and do some decent research before you start predicting.

GregPercussion

Re: SBNation UNC preview article - interesting

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:02 am

I don't feel like it's completely out of order for a bias team-specific reporter. But I agree, seems like some of the "homework" wasn't done and he's just saying "because we're a P5, we should win".

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 am

He also doesn't seem to realize that, in addition to Zac missing essentially two games, Evans didn't become our primary running back until the 6th game of the season when Jalin went down. I always love it when others under-estimate our guys...

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 am

Personally I hope Mack Brown and Cheat players also take this approach. Also the line setters in Vegas.

I expect they will and this will be a nice place to pick up some coin a la UNCC last year

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 am

Projecting a close win for themselves isn't unreasonable. I do agree with his point about untested CBs and they always have talented WRs.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:53 am

I’m sure expecting APP to be favored in Chapel Hill by Vegas.
BLACK SATURDAY

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 am

From what I've been reading about UNC and their new staff, they are wanting to implement a more "up-tempo" offensive scheme, including no-huddle and quick-snap plays. I've noticed us having some issues on defense from time-to-time (not all the time, but enough to be a little concerned) with this in the past, such as getting the play in and not being set/ready when the ball is snapped. Hopefully this is something that Coach Roof and the staff will ensure is not an issue on 9/21/2019 in Chapel Hill.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 am

Yes, it's a total "homer" write up. I think he tried to give App some good credit but clearly he did practically no research. He keeps saying we are changing to a pro-style under center offense which isn't true at all. He has no concept of our offensive philosophy (conservative, run first, ball control) last year or how that will change this year.

He is putting a lot of stock on our "inexperience corners" to support his prediction that UNC will eke this one out. Whereas it could happen, I think it might be difficult for those UNC receivers to make plays while they QB is on his back. :-D

He mentioned Sutton and that he is our only receiver over 6-3 but doesn't even mention the present of Jalen Virgil. Granted, Virgil was under utilized last year but UNC has nobody on their team who can match him step for step.

It's just a very superficial analysis.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 am

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 am
From what I've been reading about UNC and their new staff, they are wanting to implement a more "up-tempo" offensive scheme, including no-huddle and quick-snap plays. I've noticed us having some issues on defense from time-to-time (not all the time, but enough to be a little concerned) with this in the past, such as getting the play in and not being set/ready when the ball is snapped. Hopefully this is something that Coach Roof and the staff will ensure is not an issue on 9/21/2019 in Chapel Hill.
The "up tempo" shouldn't be too hard to handle since our own offense is going to be doing a lot more of it as well.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Our defensive struggles against up tempo teams shouldn't (I hope) be an issue since we do have a new DC who has tons of experience. Hopefully that is a thing of the past. Also, it's early in the season for UNC so it remains to be seen how successful they are at implementing that quick strike offense.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:52 am

Eh, at least he acknowledges a UNC victory would be an upset. The rest of the article wasn't as well thought out.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:44 am

Two things. One, I didn't read the article because I don't want to become dumber. Two, the UNC hurry up offense will be a hurry up and get off the field with a three and out, these App guys hit too hard.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:58 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 am
Yes, it's a total "homer" write up. I think he tried to give App some good credit but clearly he did practically no research. He keeps saying we are changing to a pro-style under center offense which isn't true at all. He has no concept of our offensive philosophy (conservative, run first, ball control) last year or how that will change this year.

He is putting a lot of stock on our "inexperience corners" to support his prediction that UNC will eke this one out. Whereas it could happen, I think it might be difficult for those UNC receivers to make plays while they QB is on his back. :-D

He mentioned Sutton and that he is our only receiver over 6-3 but doesn't even mention the present of Jalen Virgil. Granted, Virgil was under utilized last year but UNC has nobody on their team who can match him step for step.

It's just a very superficial analysis.
He did figure out Camerun Peoples will be a monster.
BLACK SATURDAY

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Extremely weak analysis of our team, which is fine- whatever. I must have REALLY missed something last season as far as ZT goes. Did we run the ball very well last year? Gee I can’t remember. If I’m not mistaken we have a pretty good set of linebackers but apparently our corners are the only positions to mention. No way this guy picks App to win but no biggie.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Okay, honestly, I expect to lose a close, heartbreaking, game in CH. I actually like our chances in Cola better. We don't tend to win these games. You can't be upset when folks point that out. Sorry.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:03 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:30 pm
Okay, honestly, I expect to lose a close, heartbreaking, game in CH. I actually like our chances in Cola better. We don't tend to win these games. You can't be upset when folks point that out. Sorry.
Not sure the Hole writer did enough research to know what we haven't won since Michigan and prior to Penn State. He actually said APP should be favored. However, this season has appsolutely nothing to do with any subsequent season except APP should be peaking with the talent we know about and The Holes may be coming off the bottom.

As for the Cocks, I'd guess we'll be less than a TD dog in Columbia, unless their QB is out. Year after year they get better talent by being in the SEC.
BLACK SATURDAY

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm

UNC Charmin is, always has been and always will be soft. I don't think a coach commuting over from the retirement home is going to instill a new toughness in them if Red Bull couldn't get it done. UNC has better talent than we do, but the great thing about playing UNC is that you just have to hit them good once and they won't get back up.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 pm

PoplarHillApp wrote:
100% agree with the issues in the past with not getting plays in quick enough. Up-tempo offenses were a semi-chink in the App D armor. I think it made ma,as a fan, more nervous than it did the team, though. It would be less nerve racking to me and the folks I sit with if Coach Roof can fix that.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:06 pm

PoplarHillApp wrote:
100% agree with the issues in the past with not getting plays in quick enough. Up-tempo offenses were a semi-chink in the App D armor. I think it made ma,as a fan, more nervous than it did the team, though. It would be less nerve racking to me and the folks I sit with if Coach Roof can fix that.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 pm

First sentence:

"There are a few iconic moments in sports where you remember exactly where you were when you watched it happen watched it."

That is when I quit reading.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”