Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SBNation UNC preview article - interesting

tnave94
School: Appalachian State

Re: SBNation UNC preview article - interesting

Unread post by tnave94 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:19 am

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 am
From what I've been reading about UNC and their new staff, they are wanting to implement a more "up-tempo" offensive scheme, including no-huddle and quick-snap plays. I've noticed us having some issues on defense from time-to-time (not all the time, but enough to be a little concerned) with this in the past, such as getting the play in and not being set/ready when the ball is snapped. Hopefully this is something that Coach Roof and the staff will ensure is not an issue on 9/21/2019 in Chapel Hill.
So this could be true. But isn’t it funny how often you hear a college team is trying to go “uptempo” this year. If we played preseason CFB bingo that would be one of the free spaces. Rarely do teams actually end up sticking with it and rarely are college teams able to run uptempo consistently and effectively.

There was a few years back when I distinctly remember App was supposedly going up tempo and speed, speed, speed. Never really materialized once we got to Saturday’s.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:05 am

I remember a playoff game back in the day against Florida A&M where they ran up-tempo for what seemed like every play. Extremely frustrating to watch as they'd be hiking the ball and our defense was still looking at the sideline for the play...we lost and it was in the first round...at The Rock. The few A&M fans in attendance were awfully smug as we were leaving...hate that feeling.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:58 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 am
Yes, it's a total "homer" write up. I think he tried to give App some good credit but clearly he did practically no research. He keeps saying we are changing to a pro-style under center offense which isn't true at all. He has no concept of our offensive philosophy (conservative, run first, ball control) last year or how that will change this year.

He is putting a lot of stock on our "inexperience corners" to support his prediction that UNC will eke this one out. Whereas it could happen, I think it might be difficult for those UNC receivers to make plays while they QB is on his back. :-D

He mentioned Sutton and that he is our only receiver over 6-3 but doesn't even mention the present of Jalen Virgil. Granted, Virgil was under utilized last year but UNC has nobody on their team who can match him step for step.

It's just a very superficial analysis.
He did figure out Camerun Peoples will be a monster.
So what assumptions can we make based on his assumptions? He watched highlights of the Conference Championship Game, the last week against Troy, Georgia Southern, and Penn State. He found highlights of nationally televised games and drew conclusions from there.

SBNation doesn't have a requirement that you're any type of writer either. More or less just a Blogosphere access for Sports-Fanatics who fancy themselves intelligible on...sports.

Example: "hough his overall productivity wasn’t great last season, Thomas’s red zone production was lethal. He ended the season with 10 rushing touchdowns, and seemingly all of those came off of RPO plays inside the twenty." Arkansas State option play. Easy find.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:16 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Yes, it's a total "homer" write up. I think he tried to give App some good credit but clearly he did practically no research. He keeps saying we are changing to a pro-style under center offense which isn't true at all. He has no concept of our offensive philosophy (conservative, run first, ball control) last year or how that will change this year.

He is putting a lot of stock on our "inexperience corners" to support his prediction that UNC will eke this one out. Whereas it could happen, I think it might be difficult for those UNC receivers to make plays while they QB is on his back. :-D

He mentioned Sutton and that he is our only receiver over 6-3 but doesn't even mention the present of Jalen Virgil. Granted, Virgil was under utilized last year but UNC has nobody on their team who can match him step for step.

So what assumptions can we make based on his assumptions? He watched highlights of the Conference Championship Game, the last week against Troy, Georgia Southern, and Penn State. He found highlights of nationally televised games and drew conclusions from there.

SBNation doesn't have a requirement that you're any type of writer either. More or less just a Blogosphere access for Sports-Fanatics who fancy themselves intelligible on...sports.

Example: "hough his overall productivity wasn’t great last season, Thomas’s red zone production was lethal. He ended the season with 10 rushing touchdowns, and seemingly all of those came off of RPO plays inside the twenty." Arkansas State option play. Easy find.
He had at least 2, if not 3, TD runs of over 50 yards. I think one was around 75 yards.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

He had at least 2, if not 3, TD runs of over 50 yards. I think one was around 75 yards.
I haven't taken the time to look it up, but I think I remember many of his TD runs being outside of the red zone. And they didn't appear to be planned runs, he was making something from nothing.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

I haven't taken the time to look it up, but I think I remember many of his TD runs being outside of the red zone. And they didn't appear to be planned runs, he was making something from nothing.
62 yarder

He also had a 52 yarder against S. Alabama, a 25 and 35 yarder against UL.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:27 pm

When he said Zac was lethal inside the redzone, I wasn't sure if he meant due to his running or just his ability to score a TD anyway.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:05 am
I remember a playoff game back in the day against Florida A&M where they ran up-tempo for what seemed like every play. Extremely frustrating to watch as they'd be hiking the ball and our defense was still looking at the sideline for the play...we lost and it was in the first round...at The Rock. The few A&M fans in attendance were awfully smug as we were leaving...hate that feeling.
I remember that game well. I agree with your description above, except the A&M fans I met that day were VERY complimentary of App and our stadium.

They gave us a whoopin'. No other way to say it.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:37 am

AppAlum1 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:56 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:05 am
I remember that game well. I agree with your description above, except the A&M fans I met that day were VERY complimentary of App and our stadium.

They gave us a whoopin'. No other way to say it.
Yep, they opened up a big 'ole can of "whoop ass" on us that day. The A&M fans I remember weren't rude or ugly or anything like that, they were just like laughing about us being over-rated and gloating about their easy victory. I was in a foul mood afterwards and didn't want to hear any of that... :x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”