Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

First game: ETSU

ericsaid
School: Appalachian State

Re: First game: ETSU

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 am

VNova wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:52 pm
Last year they ended #22 and lost by a touchdown to Jacksonville State in the playoffs. They also went 3OT with Western Carolina. We could keep starters in all four quarters or pull them for the last quarter. If we do the latter, then App 45-14 ETSU. If we don't App 56-3 ETSU.
Number 22? Lost to Jacksonville State by one score? Uh oh. Time to buy out the game....

App should be able to run the ball 50 times and still win by 7 TD's here. I expect Drink will use this time to experiment with the passing game though, assuming the offensive line adjusts to holding their blocks a bit longer in this new pro style, pro tempo offense.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:35 am

Remember we are still rotating 3 deep across the D line. That would have to payoff big time in 2nd half against the Bucs.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:44 am

I believe that last year was only their second time making the FCS playoffs...ever. Also, the first time they've ever won a share of the SoCon Championship. Not much of a football tradition...definitely more of a basketball school.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:49 am

There should be a huge gap in talent between a decent FCS team (ETSU) and a legit top 30 BCS team (App). The only way this game is close is if Drink gets conservative like Satt always did or if he substitutes liberally in the second half after we go up like 42-7 by halftime. One or two “studs” on that team ain’t nearly enough to make a difference. Drink needs to come out and make a great impression with the team firing on all cylinders. Blowout city

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 am
VNova wrote:
Last year they ended #22 and lost by a touchdown to Jacksonville State in the playoffs. They also went 3OT with Western Carolina. We could keep starters in all four quarters or pull them for the last quarter. If we do the latter, then App 45-14 ETSU. If we don't App 56-3 ETSU.
Number 22? Lost to Jacksonville State by one score? Uh oh. Time to buy out the game....

App should be able to run the ball 50 times and still win by 7 TD's here. I expect Drink will use this time to experiment with the passing game though, assuming the offensive line adjusts to holding their blocks a bit longer in this new pro style, pro tempo offense.
We should be selling out every game anyways!

I agree that we'll see some experimenting and fine tuning, and that we'll just continually march down the field.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:57 am

ericsaid wrote:
VNova wrote:

There are a lot of things in this offense that players are being asked to do that weren't being asked of them in the past. The talent is there and the coaching is there to get them to that point, but at this point and time, they just aren't consistent in showing it yet. It is a work in progress.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:57 am
ericsaid wrote:
VNova wrote:

There are a lot of things in this offense that players are being asked to do that weren't being asked of them in the past. The talent is there and the coaching is there to get them to that point, but at this point and time, they just aren't consistent in showing it yet. It is a work in progress.
Go on....

Or at least provide a generic update on Zac's progression in a more complex passing game? Perhaps provide some insight into what the expectations of his job are under Drink? Protections, audibles, hot routes, RPO, choice routes for receivers, play book? Seems that you know something. Or if this came from 247 I'll look into subscribing there.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:10 am

VNova wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 am
ericsaid wrote:
VNova wrote:

I agree that we'll see some experimenting and fine tuning, and that we'll just continually march down the field.
I'd like to see a march but I envision some play mix-ups and miscommunications between Zac and the receivers. The one thing I'd like for ETSU to have is a solid pass rush. I think the offensive line being challenged in this game forcing Zac to make quicker reads will be of more benefit for the UNCC game than a Gardner-Webb style game (though I know GW was on par with being the bottom of the bottom of the FCS).

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:14 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:10 am
VNova wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
VNova wrote:

I'd like to see a march but I envision some play mix-ups and miscommunications between Zac and the receivers. The one thing I'd like for ETSU to have is a solid pass rush. I think the offensive line being challenged in this game forcing Zac to make quicker reads will be of more benefit for the UNCC game than a Gardner-Webb style game (though I know GW was on par with being the bottom of the bottom of the FCS).
Exactly, ETSU is no pushover team. We should easily best them, but I think we'll have to be on top of our playbook and it's going to help us more the G-W did for the rest of the season.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:18 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:14 am
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:10 am
VNova wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
VNova wrote:

Exactly, ETSU is no pushover team. We should easily best them, but I think we'll have to be on top of our playbook and it's going to help us more the G-W did for the rest of the season.
I'm hopeful they aren't a pushover. To me, Gardner Webb isn't even on the list of compelling local teams. I'm of the opinion that App's future FCS opponents should be the Woffords, Furman, Elon, WCU, and ETSU variety. Local games that the Fan Base, much of which was built during the 2000's, would be interested in seeing purely for novelty reasons.

If someone here could find a write-up about ETSU that would be great. Pass rush, second level, third level of their defense? Would like to see the offense be challenged here so that way the game truly is of the Tune-up variety and not simply an opportunity to lose guys to injury.

Looks like ETSU had two First-Team All SoCon guys on the defensive line, 3 LB's (1 first team and 2 second team) All SoCon, and 3 DB's (2 first team and 1 second team) All SoCon. Four of Five offensive linemen returning as well. Sophomore RB is 1st team all conference.

Seems a bit odd that they aren't ranked in Preseason polls. If App ever had that many all conference players plus experience on the lines returning following an 8-4 year they would've been ranked Top 10.
Last edited by ericsaid on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:18 am

Just read in the Watauga Democrat:

Drinkwitz said the game plan for the East Tennessee State game has already been developed, but won’t be revealed to the team until Aug. 22.

So, even the team isn't focusing on the first game yet...they've got an entire season to prep for.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:35 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:35 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:31 am
ETSU is watching this in preparation. Their 1997 win over App.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=et ... ORM=VRDGAR

Someone also needs to explain to me how the laws of the universe cause some dude on a message board, with no direct connections to the actual players or coaches on either team, to post boasting charges that his team will win big against another opponent somehow changes the outcome of that game? Heaven forbid he says something over a beer in a bar.

I think it is most likely we put up 40 plus and they maybe get into double digits. A wider margin or thinner margin either way becomes less likely but possible due to first game for both teams. I fully expect our team will be anxious and ready to roll to prove who they are under the new coaching staff with plenty of adrenaline of their own. Flip the table for a moment, ETSU does not know exactly what they are facing due to all the changes on our side so that is a big unknown for them.
Your last statement isn’t entirely true. They can watch film on State and get a pretty decent idea of what we are trying to do on offense. As for the defense, they can expect some changes, but it actually hasn’t changed that much. Roof is adding a few wrinkles to what already worked but that’s it.
I think what I said was (paraphrasing) they don't know exactly how our offense will look as it will be some hybrid of last year, Drink's NCSU, etc. Yes, you are correct in that it will resemble some of NCSU. So they watch all of the above but when it gets down to it, they really don't know what form it will take on game day. I was just saying they have more uncertainties to deal with that some are admitting.

At the end of the day, it will depend on how well WE execute as to the outcome. If we run smoothly then we roll them. If we don't then it is ugly or really bad.
One thing Drink said that I think is important is that he intends to plan according to our personnel. Watching NCSU footage may or may not be a good indicator of what ETSU will see. Only time will tell. If he is as innovative as people say we may all be blown away. I'm certainly hopeful.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:35 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:35 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:31 am
ETSU is watching this in preparation. Their 1997 win over App.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=et ... ORM=VRDGAR

Someone also needs to explain to me how the laws of the universe cause some dude on a message board, with no direct connections to the actual players or coaches on either team, to post boasting charges that his team will win big against another opponent somehow changes the outcome of that game? Heaven forbid he says something over a beer in a bar.

I think it is most likely we put up 40 plus and they maybe get into double digits. A wider margin or thinner margin either way becomes less likely but possible due to first game for both teams. I fully expect our team will be anxious and ready to roll to prove who they are under the new coaching staff with plenty of adrenaline of their own. Flip the table for a moment, ETSU does not know exactly what they are facing due to all the changes on our side so that is a big unknown for them.
Your last statement isn’t entirely true. They can watch film on State and get a pretty decent idea of what we are trying to do on offense. As for the defense, they can expect some changes, but it actually hasn’t changed that much. Roof is adding a few wrinkles to what already worked but that’s it.
I think what I said was (paraphrasing) they don't know exactly how our offense will look as it will be some hybrid of last year, Drink's NCSU, etc. Yes, you are correct in that it will resemble some of NCSU. So they watch all of the above but when it gets down to it, they really don't know what form it will take on game day. I was just saying they have more uncertainties to deal with that some are admitting.

At the end of the day, it will depend on how well WE execute as to the outcome. If we run smoothly then we roll them. If we don't then it is ugly or really bad.
One thing Drink said that I think is important is that he intends to plan according to our personnel. Watching NCSU footage may or may not be a good indicator of what ETSU will see. Only time will tell. If he is as innovative as people say we may all be blown away. I'm certainly hopeful.
Could be. Lincoln Riley is an innovator but he innovates within his own offensive philosophy (Air Raid concepts). I'd expect to see the structure of Drinks offense being the same as it was at NCSU. Nuance is likely to be where it differs.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:14 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 am
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
VNova wrote:

Go on....

Or at least provide a generic update on Zac's progression in a more complex passing game? Perhaps provide some insight into what the expectations of his job are under Drink? Protections, audibles, hot routes, RPO, choice routes for receivers, play book? Seems that you know something. Or if this came from 247 I'll look into subscribing there.
I am not necessarily referencing Zac, or your man crush. I have no direct knowledge other than what I have seen on the practice clips and talking to a few people here and there. But if you watch what Eli did at State, he used swing passes and bubble screens to get the ball out in space. That requires a different type of blocking by our receivers than in the past. They have to block more intently at the LOI. In order to do that, they have to be more leveraged to block a defender that is squared up and properly balanced versus being able to knock a guy off who is back pedaling or has their hips in an awkward angle. We are going under center some which is a bit of a change to the QB/Center exchange. RBs are running different routes and dealing with guys in a much smaller space at the LOI who are in a better tackling stance versus flying at them.

But rest assured. If I had any insights or direct knowledge. It wouldn't be shared here in an open forum.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:14 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 am
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
VNova wrote:

Go on....

I am not necessarily referencing Zac, or your man crush. I have no direct knowledge other than what I have seen on the practice clips and talking to a few people here and there. But if you watch what Eli did at State, he used swing passes and bubble screens to get the ball out in space. That requires a different type of blocking by our receivers than in the past. They have to block more intently at the LOI. In order to do that, they have to be more leveraged to block a defender that is squared up and properly balanced versus being able to knock a guy off who is back pedaling or has their hips in an awkward angle. We are going under center some which is a bit of a change to the QB/Center exchange. RBs are running different routes and dealing with guys in a much smaller space at the LOI who are in a better tackling stance versus flying at them.

But rest assured. If I had any insights or direct knowledge. It wouldn't be shared here in an open forum.
I mean you could charge for any inside information you have with the lack of information that's come out.

I don't have a man crush on DBG but only the ability you see on tape. No one has actually argued the points I've made that were referenced from the ability I see on tape. The usual response was but "Zac in this offense is so good" before they had even closed Spring Practice. Not exactly a good argument to make.

However, my comment about about knowing something was your specific reference to it "being a work in progress". Someone in football would say it's always a work in progress but the specific point to say that would suggest you know something of performance thus far in camp.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:50 pm

If we are not a "work in progress" on day one against ETSU, AND then throughout the season, we are not challenging this team enough. We should always be a work in progress to achieve our maximum capabilities.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:03 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:50 pm
If we are not a "work in progress" on day one against ETSU, AND then throughout the season, we are not challenging this team enough. We should always be a work in progress to achieve our maximum capabilities.
Well yeah. But the point was that the comment wasn't a general "we are always a work in progress because when you stop progressing, you're falling". It was in response to a specific comment related to changes the team is going through and Fall Camp specifically. That information clearly wouldn't come from anything App or 247 has published. All of App's publications are generic and read as if you know nothing about the team, 247 is more specific but doesn't make note of any "progress" so to speak. Thus, I deduced that the fellow must know something from the inside.

So the question was intended to cultivate intelligence regarding what specific progress is being made and what the new responsibilities for Zac would entail.

Personally, I'd like to see him be given the opportunity to call audibles, change protections, and routes if needed. He seems to have a NFL quality release and that type of work now would be great for his prospects in a couple of years. Finley seems to have finally taken the next step for the Bengals and impressed in his second preseason game. Would be awesome to finally see an App QB make it to the Show.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 am
Will this game be officiated by a Sun Belt crew?
Yes. All our FCS games are Sun Belt crews.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:03 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Well yeah. But the point was that the comment wasn't a general "we are always a work in progress because when you stop progressing, you're falling". It was in response to a specific comment related to changes the team is going through and Fall Camp specifically. That information clearly wouldn't come from anything App or 247 has published. All of App's publications are generic and read as if you know nothing about the team, 247 is more specific but doesn't make note of any "progress" so to speak. Thus, I deduced that the fellow must know something from the inside.

So the question was intended to cultivate intelligence regarding what specific progress is being made and what the new responsibilities for Zac would entail.

Personally, I'd like to see him be given the opportunity to call audibles, change protections, and routes if needed. He seems to have a NFL quality release and that type of work now would be great for his prospects in a couple of years. Finley seems to have finally taken the next step for the Bengals and impressed in his second preseason game. Would be awesome to finally see an App QB make it to the Show.
Anyone with inside information will never acknowledge having it, or let alone share it on an open forum such as this. You seem to be stuck on how Zac is progressing and what Zac will be able to do in the offense. You don’t seem to grasp that there are 10 other positions that are all working gel with a new play calling style and verbiage, as well as, new tasks. It takes time to get on the same page. I am sure that Zac will have some check with me plays, but I doubt that the team has digested enough of the playbook yet to have a ton of options.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:31 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Agree. Everyday is an opportunity to get better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”