Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

First game: ETSU

NoLongerLurking
School: Appalachian State

Re: First game: ETSU

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Public Service Announcement: You have never been, and will never be, allowed to look forward to a football game that hasn't happened in your lifetime. You must desperately focus on etsuJCU and if we lose that game it is YOUR FAULT for looking forward to any other game.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 pm
Is the Seahorse still open?
Many an APP Alum can vouch for the curviness of the roads between Johnson City and Boone.
The Seahorse! Good times! I am not sure if it was the curvy roads or those good ole strong mixed drinks they served, but I do remember having to pull over for a lot of my sick friends on the way back to Boone (Some times not far from their parking lot).
Give Em Hell!!

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 pm

87ASUgrad wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Many an APP Alum can vouch for the curviness of the roads between Johnson City and Boone.
The Seahorse! Good times! I am not sure if it was the curvy roads or those good ole strong mixed drinks they served, but I do remember having to pull over for a lot of my sick friends on the way back to Boone (Some times not far from their parking lot).
The Seahorse... what a blast from the past. Those Eels Tails (Green or Red) were pretty stout party drinks! Then, head over to Poor Boy Richards Deli to grab a bagel or some other food before heading back to Boone. :)

mfrench

Unread post by mfrench » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:29 am

Seahorse no longer open...good memories.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:57 am

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am

I get excited for every game, no matter who we play or where we play them. My excitement for the next season starts as soon as the previous season ends. People are free to get excited about what they want to get excited about, and whenever they want as far as I see it. No amount of excitement that any fans have about any game in the future will have any impact on what happens on the field. Let's have fun and enjoy what we are fortunate enough to have right now. Nobody stays at the top forever.

Me personally, I'm glad to see us playing ETSU again due to their proximity to us, as well as being a former SoCon foe during my time as a student. I enjoyed watching Harold Alexander's punts hit the rafters in the ETSU mini-dome back in the day.

I'm just as excited about the UNC game, as my entire family went to UNC (and held season tickets for football and basketball my entire childhood) and I changed my mind to decided to attend App only a few weeks prior to moving to Chapel Hill. The game on 9/21 in Kenan is one that I have eagerly anticipated for almost 30 years. I'm even more excited that it should be a competitive game with a huge crowd, and the opportunity for continued momentum for the team should we come out with a win.

I'm also already excited about the 10/31 game with Georgia Southern, with memories of the last night game on Halloween in Kidd Brewer still very fresh, the fact that it is our most disliked rival, national TV coverage, and a conference game with huge implications for both teams.

I wake up with the same excitement every game day, no matter who the Apps play, and enjoy every moment. Anyone is welcome to join me in doing the same.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 am

Was Mouse Ears in Johnson City?

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 am

It was actually in Gray, TN, just outside of Johnson City. It burned down in 2013. I don't think it ever re-opened.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/frontp ... ld-in-Gray

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:18 am

MDaniels84 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 pm
87ASUgrad wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
The Seahorse... what a blast from the past. Those Eels Tails (Green or Red) were pretty stout party drinks! Then, head over to Poor Boy Richards Deli to grab a bagel or some other food before heading back to Boone. :)
The road has more curves on the return trip to Boone for sure. lol
BLACK SATURDAY

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 am

All the previews seem to highlight their defense. Will be interested in seeing how their linebackers handle our RB's.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Public Service Announcement: You have never been, and will never be, allowed to look forward to a football game that hasn't happened in your lifetime. You must desperately focus on etsuJCU and if we lose that game it is YOUR FAULT for looking forward to any other game.
Haha, I hope this PSA was intended as a joke. I am going to continue to look forward to the UNC and USC games, despite them never having been played in my lifetime (whether I'm "allowed" to or not). The players must focus on ETSU, I will not. If we lose that game, we have bigger fish to fry than grilling fans/posters on here for looking ahead.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:05 am

appmaj wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 am
All the previews seem to highlight their defense. Will be interested in seeing how their linebackers handle our RB's.
The ETSU secondary seems to be the most lauded element of their team. It will be a great test for the new, presumably more pass-heavy Drink offense. Our team might actually see a drop in opponent talent level between weeks one and two.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 pm
Even the players haven't started game prep for ETSU yet.

Talk about whatever game you like. We're going to house ETSU and that's a fact. UNC (and South Carolina) is a chance for a program-changing win.
Back in 2007 Michigan said the same thing except replace ETSU with App State and UNC and South Carolina with Penn State and Ohio State. We SHOULD house ETSU. We should beat them 60-0 for sure. They are a top 25 caliber FCS program but it should still not be close. We won't put 100 on them though and I bet they play us much better than Gardner-Webb did last year.

We would be a program-changing win for ETSU. They are looking at us just like we are looking at the combo of winning against South Carolina and UNC. Don't let arrogance bite us in the butt the way it did with Michigan.

Nobody at Michigan thought we could win. ETSU fans are probably looking at us losing an All-SBC OT and think Nasir Player could get to Zac and perhaps think their 2 All-SoCon DBs could then pick a couple passes off and force turnovers. If they can force 2-3 turnovers and keep their defense off the field early on they probably believe they can make it close at halftime and then if close anything can happen in second half. I don't know what their fans are saying but I'm sure they are looking at the ways in which it could happen.

Do I think we beat ETSU? Yes. Would I be disappointed if we only won by 20 points? Yes. I want to win by 50 or more but we can't ignore them. They are our first opponent. Once we beat them I will feel a lot better.

Was anyone on here in the stands back when Chadwell was their QB and we had those temporary bleachers and they beat us? I remember them chanting overrated, shaking their keys to tell us to warm up the car, and the celebration that day. We are much better than we were then but they are better as well. I don't want that feeling and thus we better be ready and come in ready.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:34 am

appmaj wrote:
They are better on defense but they have a RB we have to contain. Their OL is not very good but I feel like our DL is our weakest spot and we have to replace Stout. It will indeed be interesting to see how they handle our RBs. They have a CB they think can hang with Sutton and a DE they think they make plays against us. I want to prove them wrong.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:50 am

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:05 am
appmaj wrote:
The ETSU secondary seems to be the most lauded element of their team. It will be a great test for the new, presumably more pass-heavy Drink offense. Our team might actually see a drop in opponent talent level between weeks one and two.
I hope their lauded secondary is making a bunch of tackles, because all we’ll hear all afternoon is, “And that’s another Mountaineer...‘FIRST DOWN!!!’”
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am
EastHallApp wrote:

Talk about whatever game you like. We're going to house ETSU and that's a fact. UNC (and South Carolina) is a chance for a program-changing win.
Back in 2007 Michigan said the same thing except replace ETSU with App State and UNC and South Carolina with Penn State and Ohio State. We SHOULD house ETSU. We should beat them 60-0 for sure. They are a top 25 caliber FCS program but it should still not be close. We won't put 100 on them though and I bet they play us much better than Gardner-Webb did last year.

We would be a program-changing win for ETSU. They are looking at us just like we are looking at the combo of winning against South Carolina and UNC. Don't let arrogance bite us in the butt the way it did with Michigan.

Nobody at Michigan thought we could win. ETSU fans are probably looking at us losing an All-SBC OT and think Nasir Player could get to Zac and perhaps think their 2 All-SoCon DBs could then pick a couple passes off and force turnovers. If they can force 2-3 turnovers and keep their defense off the field early on they probably believe they can make it close at halftime and then if close anything can happen in second half. I don't know what their fans are saying but I'm sure they are looking at the ways in which it could happen.

Do I think we beat ETSU? Yes. Would I be disappointed if we only won by 20 points? Yes. I want to win by 50 or more but we can't ignore them. They are our first opponent. Once we beat them I will feel a lot better.

Was anyone on here in the stands back when Chadwell was their QB and we had those temporary bleachers and they beat us? I remember them chanting overrated, shaking their keys to tell us to warm up the car, and the celebration that day. We are much better than we were then but they are better as well. I don't want that feeling and thus we better be ready and come in ready.
And back in [every year ever], [every huge favorite ever] said the same thing about [hopelessly overmatched opponent]... and then blew them out just as expected. There's a reason that Michigan game still makes the all-time upset lists.

If you think Michigan looked at Penn State and Ohio State the way we are our two P5 opponents this year, I'd suggest you do some research on Michigan football history. Those would have been more like, say, Georgia Southern and Troy are for us.

Lastly, *we* absolutely can be as arrogant as we want and ignore ETSU totally, because *we* are fans on a message board. Yes, the players shouldn't overlook anyone - but we've been hearing for months on this board about how we mustn't talk about any game besides ETSU, whereas in reality the actual players are STILL a week away from prepping for that specific game.

#OverlookETSU

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:08 am

The players have another week before they even really focus on ETSU. They're currently preparing for a long season of 12 to 14 opponents. Anything can happen when games are played, that's why you play them, but it's really OK if fans talk about other games on the schedule other than the "next" one.
The excitement of a new season for fans is not just because of the "next" game...it's for the season in totality and the possibilities...especially this year.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:23 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 am

Mouse Ears, the titty bar?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:17 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:23 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 am

Mouse Ears, the titty bar?
I always considered it more of a performing arts establishment.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am
EastHallApp wrote:

#OverlookETSU
I laughed out loud when I read that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”