Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

First game: ETSU

NoLongerLurking
School: Appalachian State

Re: First game: ETSU

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:06 pm

So many words and stuff.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:02 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:06 pm
So many words and stuff.
#BeatETSU is the only words that matter. Thought I would go ahead and save 3432
some key strokes.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:06 am

Thanks!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:03 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:50 pm
If we are not a "work in progress" on day one against ETSU, AND then throughout the season, we are not challenging this team enough. We should always be a work in progress to achieve our maximum capabilities.
Well yeah. But the point was that the comment wasn't a general "we are always a work in progress because when you stop progressing, you're falling". It was in response to a specific comment related to changes the team is going through and Fall Camp specifically. That information clearly wouldn't come from anything App or 247 has published. All of App's publications are generic and read as if you know nothing about the team, 247 is more specific but doesn't make note of any "progress" so to speak. Thus, I deduced that the fellow must know something from the inside.

So the question was intended to cultivate intelligence regarding what specific progress is being made and what the new responsibilities for Zac would entail.

Personally, I'd like to see him be given the opportunity to call audibles, change protections, and routes if needed. He seems to have a NFL quality release and that type of work now would be great for his prospects in a couple of years. Finley seems to have finally taken the next step for the Bengals and impressed in his second preseason game. Would be awesome to finally see an App QB make it to the Show.
I found a link that will answer all of your questions.

Drinkwitze@appstate.edu

You’re welcome.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 am
ericsaid wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
If we are not a "work in progress" on day one against ETSU, AND then throughout the season, we are not challenging this team enough. We should always be a work in progress to achieve our maximum capabilities.
Well yeah. But the point was that the comment wasn't a general "we are always a work in progress because when you stop progressing, you're falling". It was in response to a specific comment related to changes the team is going through and Fall Camp specifically. That information clearly wouldn't come from anything App or 247 has published. All of App's publications are generic and read as if you know nothing about the team, 247 is more specific but doesn't make note of any "progress" so to speak. Thus, I deduced that the fellow must know something from the inside.

So the question was intended to cultivate intelligence regarding what specific progress is being made and what the new responsibilities for Zac would entail.

Personally, I'd like to see him be given the opportunity to call audibles, change protections, and routes if needed. He seems to have a NFL quality release and that type of work now would be great for his prospects in a couple of years. Finley seems to have finally taken the next step for the Bengals and impressed in his second preseason game. Would be awesome to finally see an App QB make it to the Show.

Drinkwitze@appstate.edu

You’re welcome.
My write up on the response will be behind my paywall site because a public forum isn't the place.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:49 pm

For all of you completely disrespecting ETSU, don’t forget a little team that most of the country knew nothing about going to Ann Arbor in 2007 and pulling the biggest upset in college football history. This would not be near the upset that was. Ad to that we have a new staff. Beat ETSU.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:51 pm

I’ve actually said all offseason that ETSU poses more of a threat than Charlotte. I think their 1s are as good if not better than Charlotte. The issue for them will be scoring.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:49 pm
For all of you completely disrespecting ETSU, don’t forget a little team that most of the country knew nothing about going to Ann Arbor in 2007 and pulling the biggest upset in college football history. This would not be near the upset that was. Ad to that we have a new staff. Beat ETSU.
Wow, sounds amazing! I can’t believe I’ve never heard about that game!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Go 'Neers! Beat the 'Neers!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:39 am

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 am
ericsaid wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

Drinkwitze@appstate.edu

You’re welcome.
My write up on the response will be behind my paywall site because a public forum isn't the place.
I'll save my money. Thanks though.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:54 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 pm
Apptrain wrote:
Agree East. Why does every single game featuring a strong team versus an underdog always come back to App V Michigan? This ETSU game isn’t even close to that magnitude. IF ETSU was coming off of an FCS Championship and IF they were loaded with talent and IF we were preseason ranked top 10 then the reference would make some sense. I personally think that the new staff talk is a little overblown as well. Drink isn’t inheriting a rebuild or dumpster fire.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:05 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:54 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 pm
Apptrain wrote:
Agree East. Why does every single game featuring a strong team versus an underdog always come back to App V Michigan? This ETSU game isn’t even close to that magnitude. IF ETSU was coming off of an FCS Championship and IF they were loaded with talent and IF we were preseason ranked top 10 then the reference would make some sense. I personally think that the new staff talk is a little overblown as well. Drink isn’t inheriting a rebuild or dumpster fire.
The point being made is that we have some fans being as cocky as Michigan’s were. If we could beat #5 ranked Michigan then ETSU can surely beat us. I believe the member who posted this subject was looking for somewhat of a breakdown of ETSU (offense and defense they run, players to watch) as opposed to a total dismissal of a good FCS team.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:15 am

ETSU has talent and a very good running game which will be a good test for our front seven. We have more talent and more team speed which, in the end, should make the difference. Sanders can coach. This is a team on the rise and will be a good test for our guys.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:53 am

Apptrain wrote:
I think it’s more confidence in our team than disrespecting ETSU. They have done a great job in building a strong FCS program, and no, they shouldn’t be overlooked. However, we know what we have too, and any neutral observer would have us at least a three touchdown favorite. And it’s opening day at the Rock, Drink’s debut, and I’m sure the guys are ready to hit someone in another colored jersey. I’ll respect ETSU and Concord when they earn it. Until then, I unapologetically believe we have a special team capable of steamrolling them both.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:19 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:10 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 pm
Even the players haven't started game prep for ETSU yet.

Talk about whatever game you like. We're going to house ETSU and that's a fact. UNC (and South Carolina) is a chance for a program-changing win.
Back in 2007 Michigan said the same thing except replace ETSU with App State and UNC and South Carolina with Penn State and Ohio State. We SHOULD house ETSU. We should beat them 60-0 for sure. They are a top 25 caliber FCS program but it should still not be close. We won't put 100 on them though and I bet they play us much better than Gardner-Webb did last year.

We would be a program-changing win for ETSU. They are looking at us just like we are looking at the combo of winning against South Carolina and UNC. Don't let arrogance bite us in the butt the way it did with Michigan.

Nobody at Michigan thought we could win. ETSU fans are probably looking at us losing an All-SBC OT and think Nasir Player could get to Zac and perhaps think their 2 All-SoCon DBs could then pick a couple passes off and force turnovers. If they can force 2-3 turnovers and keep their defense off the field early on they probably believe they can make it close at halftime and then if close anything can happen in second half. I don't know what their fans are saying but I'm sure they are looking at the ways in which it could happen.

Do I think we beat ETSU? Yes. Would I be disappointed if we only won by 20 points? Yes. I want to win by 50 or more but we can't ignore them. They are our first opponent. Once we beat them I will feel a lot better.

Was anyone on here in the stands back when Chadwell was their QB and we had those temporary bleachers and they beat us? I remember them chanting overrated, shaking their keys to tell us to warm up the car, and the celebration that day. We are much better than we were then but they are better as well. I don't want that feeling and thus we better be ready and come in ready.
Wonder how many APP fans truthfully thought APP would win that day? I'm sure there are some revisionists though.
Nobody expected to. I thought our speed would make the first half interesting but nobody thought we would win for sure. Remember the first drive where they ran down our throats? I expected that all day long and had Hart not gone out of the game I think it would have continued. Looking back though I actually think our RB stable is better than theirs was. They were great with Hart but after him their RBs were not great that day. After seeing the first half of that game my only complaint is that we should have won by more than we did. We got conservative in the second half and then the refs almost screwed us on that Manningham catch. He should have been call for offensive PI.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:21 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:15 am
ETSU has talent and a very good running game which will be a good test for our front seven. We have more talent and more team speed which, in the end, should make the difference. Sanders can coach. This is a team on the rise and will be a good test for our guys.
Sanders and his coordinators are what give me pause and respect this team. Are we way more talented than them? For sure. We are easily 50 points more talented but they have great coaches who could make it closer. I think we are slightly better than Tennessee but ETSU should be better so I don't think we beat them worse than Tennessee did. I feel like we probably win something like 49-7. If we beat these guys 70-0 or something then I will feel even better about UNC because ETSU has my respect as a good FCS team who you do not want to overlook.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:25 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:53 am
Apptrain wrote:
I think it’s more confidence in our team than disrespecting ETSU. They have done a great job in building a strong FCS program, and no, they shouldn’t be overlooked. However, we know what we have too, and any neutral observer would have us at least a three touchdown favorite. And it’s opening day at the Rock, Drink’s debut, and I’m sure the guys are ready to hit someone in another colored jersey. I’ll respect ETSU and Concord when they earn it. Until then, I unapologetically believe we have a special team capable of steamrolling them both.
I agree that we should steamroll them but just won't be cocky about it. I wonder what the line will be. I would think we would be a 35 point favorite or so. I'm sure gamblers will jump on it and put a lot on us if we are just a 21-24 point favorite.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am

Just to throw a little fuel on the fire. Let's look at the last five games by ETSU.

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

So they are coming in only winning 2 of their last 5 with the only wins barely getting the job done. I know last year is last year and this year is a new year but ETSU doesn't exactly appear to be running a well oiled machine over in the Tri-Cities. They have a lot of challenges just to clean up their act at the FCS level. They basically limped off the field last season.

One of the realities we all know about FCS is that there are about 5-6 top tier teams and then the rest of top 25 drop off significantly, then everybody else. There is a substantial gap after the top tier and why only a small group dominate winning the National Championship game every year. It was that way when we were there and still is today. ETSU is not in the top tier and barely in the second tier.

Again, I say, if WE play to the level we are capable then we should take care of business. The real threat is for our team to not be prepared and not play even close to their level.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:15 am
Should be a good "Tune Up" if this team is as good as most here believe it to be. Sure people have said that about App State before, and generally have been correct in saying so. But if App is a double-digit win team, this game should be a solid introduction to putting Fall Camp together and moving on to the next weekend.

#LeaveNoDoubt

I like that...

Note: I think you'd like my write-ups behind a pay wall. I tend to be far more diplomatic off of message boards, especially if someone is paying for the content. I'm also extremely thorough in my paid work; less suppositions and the suppositions that are made usually have statistical analyses to bolster the argument. Some of the analysis may be subjective but that's only where data isn't available.
Last edited by ericsaid on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire. Let's look at the last five games by ETSU.

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

So they are coming in only winning 2 of their last 5 with the only wins barely getting the job done. I know last year is last year and this year is a new year but ETSU doesn't exactly appear to be running a well oiled machine over in the Tri-Cities. They have a lot of challenges just to clean up their act at the FCS level. They basically limped off the field last season.

One of the realities we all know about FCS is that there are about 5-6 top tier teams and then the rest of top 25 drop off significantly, then everybody else. There is a substantial gap after the top tier and why only a small group dominate winning the National Championship game every year. It was that way when we were there and still is today. ETSU is not in the top tier and barely in the second tier.

Again, I say, if WE play to the level we are capable then we should take care of business. The real threat is for our team to not be prepared and not play even close to their level.
This is FBS, FCS, D2, and D3.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”