Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

True freshman Sam Howell named UNC's QB1

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: True freshman Sam Howell named UNC's QB1

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:46 am

I don't know, but would Fromm at UGA be a better comparison than Lawrence for this discussion about Howell? If so, it makes me nervous because our defense had been holding its own until Fromm came in and lit us up...

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:13 am

Again, I didn’t mean to compare Howell to Lawrence. My comment was more about the fact that most players and teams love the thought of going against a true freshman QB and in the case of Lawrence that didn’t exactly work out the way most would have expected. Most don’t follow high school players enough to know what Lawrence was going to do and even if he looked like an NFL player in high school most would question the level of competition and think he would look human in collage. So most folks including most players think the reason for a true freshman to start is not because he’s a good option but that he’s simply the best option a team has. Beat ETSU!!!!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:30 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:13 am
Again, I didn’t mean to compare Howell to Lawrence. My comment was more about the fact that most players and teams love the thought of going against a true freshman QB and in the case of Lawrence that didn’t exactly work out the way most would have expected. Most don’t follow high school players enough to know what Lawrence was going to do and even if he looked like an NFL player in high school most would question the level of competition and think he would look human in collage. So most folks including most players think the reason for a true freshman to start is not because he’s a good option but that he’s simply the best option a team has. Beat ETSU!!!!
Threads on this board tend to take on lives of their own will take on twists and turns...you just never know where it's gonna go.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:46 am
I don't know, but would Fromm at UGA be a better comparison than Lawrence for this discussion about Howell? If so, it makes me nervous because our defense had been holding its own until Fromm came in and lit us up...
It's impossible to know whether or not Eason would've done the same thing Fromm did. App had a game with a Desean Watson led Clemson after one quarter as well. That didn't end well either.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:29 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:46 am
It's impossible to know whether or not Eason would've done the same thing Fromm did. App had a game with a Desean Watson led Clemson after one quarter as well. That didn't end well either.
That's very true. But man, Fromm came in and really seemed to spark their offense and then led them nearly to a national championship...like one crazy play away from the NC.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 pm

UGA probably still wins with Eason playing the whole game, but it was obvious Fromm was better.

Clemson was a game until Lamb threw three picks in six consecutive offensive plays, leading directly to 21 points. Again, we Clemson probably still wins without those picks, but that game was more given away than anything else.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:07 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 pm
UGA probably still wins with Eason playing the whole game, but it was obvious Fromm was better.

Clemson was a game until Lamb threw three picks in six consecutive offensive plays, leading directly to 21 points. Again, we Clemson probably still wins without those picks, but that game was more given away than anything else.
Agree with all of that but the reason I brought up Fromm is because he was a recent P5 true freshman QB that we had to face and didn't do well against...like we're probably going to face a true freshman QB in Chapel Hill...assuming he's still their guy by that point.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm

T-Dog wrote:

They weren't unforced, by any means. Lamb was harassed and young, Satterfield had a penchant for playing to the flats, and it was just a storm against a future NFL defensive line.

Regardless, the Georgia and Georgia games weren't as befuddling as Miami.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:47 pm

Just comparing Howell vs. Fromm....both are 4-star QB out of high school. Fromm was rated .9794 and nationally ranked 44.
Howell is rated .9582 and nationally ranked 93.

By the numbers, Fromm has the edge but Howell is in the competition. The thing is that Fromm has performed well above his numbers. He has sent TWO top ranked 5-star quarterbacks packing to different schools (Eason to Washington and Fields to Ohio State). I am sure Howell is a solid QB and deserves plenty of respect but until he shows me otherwise, he won't present nearly the threat of Fromm. All that is not even considering the massive 5-star OL that Fromm has in front of him.

We knew from the start that UNC has some excellent athletes, but football is a TEAM sport and App State has the TEAM!

GO APPS!!! Is it 8/31 yet?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:49 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm
T-Dog wrote:

They weren't unforced, by any means. Lamb was harassed and young, Satterfield had a penchant for playing to the flats, and it was just a storm against a future NFL defensive line.

The Miami game saw two big factors. Richt killed us with the bubble screen early and often and Diaz's defense was great at creating havoc, not allowing Lamb any time to make plays as they were in the backfield early and often. We got punched early and didn't respond well from a player or coaching level. It was a painful but valuable experience.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:00 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:49 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm
T-Dog wrote:

The Miami game saw two big factors. Richt killed us with the bubble screen early and often and Diaz's defense was great at creating havoc, not allowing Lamb any time to make plays as they were in the backfield early and often. We got punched early and didn't respond well from a player or coaching level. It was a painful but valuable experience.
I still maintain that if Cox's touchdown hadn't been called back on a dubious holding call, and his exit due to injury on the play, it would've been a closer game. Probably still would have lost but Cox was a flat-out baller and a difference-maker that could have rallied the team.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 am

Looks like Cade Fortin wasn't happy about Howell's selection, he's entering the transfer portal:

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 3n_k-eQCCg

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:42 am

"I'm just focused on competing and being the best I can be every single day"...by showing your teammates that if Coach has his reasons for starting someone else ahead of you, you don't work harder to prove your worth, you go somewhere else. I really hope there are behind the scenes reasons for his desire to transfer, because the optics and timing make him look selfish. I don't understand why a player would do this the week before the season starts. He just flipped the rest of the guys the finger.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:30 am

Pretty sure Mack who didn’t recruit him told him he was 3rd on the depth chart. BUT the new rules make it easy to quit instead of committing to getting better.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:

Was Zac Taylor a true freshman when he started for us? Or was he a red shirt?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Zac..RSF

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:43 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

When did we have a QB named Zac Taylor? You sure you didn't mean Thomas Lamb?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:07 pm

I thought it was Armanti Taylor. He was a true Freshman but didn’t start the first couple games.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:43 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

When did we have a QB named Zac Taylor? You sure you didn't mean Thomas Lamb?
They're hybrids. Zac Taylor and Thomas Lamb. :)
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:10 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:07 pm
I thought it was Armanti Taylor. He was a true Freshman but didn’t start the first couple games.
:D
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”