Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student Tailgate

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student Tailgate

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 am

Is Greenwood still a student lot?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:27 am

MountaineerKidd wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:34 pm
This is correct. I mean, the duck pond field is literally gone and covered in building foundation.

I think Sanford will still be a great experience. Further walk, but still just as fun.
I was thinking more so with Raley in the student tailgate lottery. From the info I gathered Raley no longer had a student tailgate lottery.
I cannot confirm Raley/Peacock lot & students. However, there does appear to be a lottery. Ends today at 1.

https://tailgate.appstate.edu/

23FE4BD6-6FBF-4541-87BB-03E029645D7A.jpeg

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 am

Anyone still a student or know one? I’d love to know what options are on the lottery page.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:54 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 am
Anyone still a student or know one? I’d love to know what options are on the lottery page.
The friend who told me about it initially was told there wasn't going to be a lottery. So his source is already wrong. I'm just surprised no info to the students was ever communicated and now there is an unknown.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:53 am

Maybe the mall is replacing those spots on Duck Pond field, and students will still be able to use Raley and/or Greenwood. I requested Raley this year specifically to be near the students. They bring the atmosphere up both inside and outside of the stadium.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

JROCK98

Unread post by JROCK98 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 am
From what a student told me, students are still allowed in Raley as far as he knew

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:45 am

Had to call the Yosef club for something else and while I had them I asked about student parking for tailgating. The students do still have half of the Raley, now Peacock lot. The single game parking that is available in the stadium deck and Peacock is “very limited”, $200 in the deck and $100 in Peacock per game.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:23 pm

AppSt12 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm
I'm in the yosef club but not a heavy hitter contributor nor am I 'in the know'...personally i think many of these ideas were horrendous. A parking deck right at the stadium? Atmosphere killer. Only adding like 3500 seats? That's like adding 0 seats because we pack in over a sellout every week. Part of the reason attendance has stopped growing is older folks wont stand with students or sit on hills. App could average 35k plus with seats...its just all seems so wasteful when you look at the price tag. I could be wrong when the product is finished...but when I bring up these concerns to my in the know friends they quickly jump down my throat and say "it's part of growth" or "trust in doug"
Over 15% of the non-student seats are available for a game with perfect weather in four days. The problem isn't seat availability.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 pm

It also does not help playing 4 games in 5 weeks that are all in driving distance. Missing one or more of the 3 to attend UNC is a popular option.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 pm

mike87 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:12 am
At Ole Miss, and other Old money institutions, these tailgates are set up and catered by private contractors hired by alum and generous parents. The students just stumble in looking for free food and booze, probably not in that order. I don't see App getting to that place because of our blue collar mentality. I like our blue collar status and i think our students will continue to figure out how to throw a party without their mommy and daddy's help. And become better leaders in the process.

Last thing I'd be worried about is the university not telling the students "this is where you party". Suitcase of PBRs, a bucket of chickin and a speaker is all you need.
Well, this is a great business opportunity for students or young professionals in Boone. This summer I saw a one stop tent service at the beach. I went and spoke to them. It was a bunch of young guys that would set up company owned tents and chairs for a reasonable fee. I think it was $150 for the whole set up for the day. "Boone Tailgate Services". Calling all entrepreneurs.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 pm
mike87 wrote:
At Ole Miss, and other Old money institutions, these tailgates are set up and catered by private contractors hired by alum and generous parents. The students just stumble in looking for free food and booze, probably not in that order. I don't see App getting to that place because of our blue collar mentality. I like our blue collar status and i think our students will continue to figure out how to throw a party without their mommy and daddy's help. And become better leaders in the process.

Last thing I'd be worried about is the university not telling the students "this is where you party". Suitcase of PBRs, a bucket of chickin and a speaker is all you need.
Well, this is a great business opportunity for students or young professionals in Boone. This summer I saw a one stop tent service at the beach. I went and spoke to them. It was a bunch of young guys that would set up company owned tents and chairs for a reasonable fee. I think it was $150 for the whole set up for the day. "Boone Tailgate Services". Calling all entrepreneurs.
Funny, I thought about starting a business like this 10 years ago. I was looking at doing it with the owners gear and offering a drop off only service or a set up and tear down. Something like this, you would leave your gear in Boone and on game day we would simply drop off the gear in your spot and pick it up after the game or you could pay an additional fee and we would set up and tear down. I figured I could get collage kids to do the labor. When I went to the UNC ticket site I noticed that they have a company that will set up a tailgate for you but they will not use any of your gear.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm

https://gopack.com/news/2019/7/15/gener ... leigh.aspx

State and UNCC have partnered with Tailgate Guys. Neither of these fan bases are "old money institutions" that mike87 spoke of. In time there is no reason DG, YC, Greeks, Alum, and any other fans or organizations can't come together and create a system that will make Sanford a great tailgating experience. This is a great opportunity to create a new tradition in Boone.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:42 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:23 pm
AppSt12 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm
I'm in the yosef club but not a heavy hitter contributor nor am I 'in the know'...personally i think many of these ideas were horrendous. A parking deck right at the stadium? Atmosphere killer. Only adding like 3500 seats? That's like adding 0 seats because we pack in over a sellout every week. Part of the reason attendance has stopped growing is older folks wont stand with students or sit on hills. App could average 35k plus with seats...its just all seems so wasteful when you look at the price tag. I could be wrong when the product is finished...but when I bring up these concerns to my in the know friends they quickly jump down my throat and say "it's part of growth" or "trust in doug"
Over 15% of the non-student seats are available for a game with perfect weather in four days. The problem isn't seat availability.
Got to agree, right now we have plenty of available seats on game day. Looking across at the east side I see a lot of aluminum. I’m not a fan of adding seats. Let’s put butts in the seats we have. A lot of our fans still don’t get what we’re playing for in the Sunbelt. Unfortunately they only view the P5 games as “big” games. When we beat UNC and USC this year we will fill all those empty seats for the next few years at least.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:03 pm

It would be nice if the season ticket sections could have real seats instead of the crappy benches.
Last edited by TheMoody1 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:24 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:03 pm
It would be nice if the season ticket sections could have real seats instead if the crappy benches.
I was told this by someone else, “don’t sit down”.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 pm
mike87 wrote:

Funny, I thought about starting a business like this 10 years ago. I was looking at doing it with the owners gear and offering a drop off only service or a set up and tear down. Something like this, you would leave your gear in Boone and on game day we would simply drop off the gear in your spot and pick it up after the game or you could pay an additional fee and we would set up and tear down. I figured I could get collage kids to do the labor. When I went to the UNC ticket site I noticed that they have a company that will set up a tailgate for you but they will not use any of your gear.
$3000 per game at Ole Miss. it'd be a great gig if you can get it.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:47 pm

I’ve said this many times, but what incentives do our fans have to buy tickets before game day? Our problem is that we have too much supply with the hill. There have been quite a few games where I’ve brought a friend (that refuses to pull the trigger on season tickets) and he gets a seat for 10-15$ on game day. You have to give people more reasons to buy season tickets and support this program financially. People respond to scarcity and we have a surplus of sub-par seating at the moment.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Tailgate Guys cheapest package for UNCC is $275 and State $300.

If you put together 10 sets, including a tent, table, six chairs, and a trash can, you'd likely have $250 invested per set.

$250 x 10 = $2500

Charge $200 per set per game. If you were able to sell out that's $12,000-$2500 in expenses = $10,000 in profit the first year.

Two colleges students with a couple trucks could handle this will ease. That's some good money for college kids.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:53 pm

If you put together 10 sets, including a tent, table, six chairs, and a trash can, you'd likely have $250 invested per set.

$250 x 10 = $2500

Charge $200 per set per game. If you were able to sell out that's $12,000-$2500 in expenses = $10,000 in profit the first year.

Two colleges students with a couple trucks could handle this will ease. That's some good money for college kids.
Shoot. A couple of us could put up the capital upfront to purchase a box truck and some “dealer” equipment that people can rent and then negotiate with a storage facility in the area. Hire a Walker COB student to be a coordinator and some college kids for labor..... pretty low startup costs (outside of a box truck, which you can get for cheap if you search) and all labor cost/storage would be variable. You could even start adding “extras” as you grow.
The Appalachian State

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:52 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:53 pm

$250 x 10 = $2500

Shoot. A couple of us could put up the capital upfront to purchase a box truck and some “dealer” equipment that people can rent and then negotiate with a storage facility in the area. Hire a Walker COB student to be a coordinator and some college kids for labor..... pretty low startup costs (outside of a box truck, which you can get for cheap if you search) and all labor cost/storage would be variable. You could even start adding “extras” as you grow.
There probably is some red tape we are overlooking, but yeah this is a pretty simple concept. I imagine this is how Tailgate Guys got their start. Boone Rental All should seriously consider expanding there operation. They have the logistics and business side down, just need to invest in the equipment, which is cheap. Looking forward to checking out Sanford this fall.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”