Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student Tailgate

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student Tailgate

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:52 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:53 pm
Tailgate Guys cheapest package for UNCC is $275 and State $300.

If you put together 10 sets, including a tent, table, six chairs, and a trash can, you'd likely have $250 invested per set.

$250 x 10 = $2500

Charge $200 per set per game. If you were able to sell out that's $12,000-$2500 in expenses = $10,000 in profit the first year.

Two colleges students with a couple trucks could handle this will ease. That's some good money for college kids.
Shoot. A couple of us could put up the capital upfront to purchase a box truck and some “dealer” equipment that people can rent and then negotiate with a storage facility in the area. Hire a Walker COB student to be a coordinator and some college kids for labor..... pretty low startup costs (outside of a box truck, which you can get for cheap if you search) and all labor cost/storage would be variable. You could even start adding “extras” as you grow.
There probably is some red tape we are overlooking, but yeah this is a pretty simple concept. I imagine this is how Tailgate Guys got their start. Boone Rental All should seriously consider expanding there operation. They have the logistics and business side down, just need to invest in the equipment, which is cheap. Looking forward to checking out Sanford this fall.
I'm not sure that Boone Rent-All has the capacity. I tried to rent a grill/smoker for a wedding last year during the Penn State game and they could not meet my needs. They could expand to do it, but maybe are only interested in the bigger set-ups.

I think this idea would definitely appeal to some, however the set-ups that I saw at the UNC Charlotte game last year just seemed contrived and lacked the tailgate atmosphere that I see in most places. They were on their own island and reminded me more of the hospitality tents at Bank of America Stadium or Charlotte Motor Speedway, then of a true CFB tailgate. There was no creativity or originality.

I do think that someone who would deliver, set-up, then store your gear until the next game would be great service. If they provided ice in the coolers and propane for the grills, even better.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:22 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:52 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:53 pm
Tailgate Guys cheapest package for UNCC is $275 and State $300.

If you put together 10 sets, including a tent, table, six chairs, and a trash can, you'd likely have $250 invested per set.

$250 x 10 = $2500

Charge $200 per set per game. If you were able to sell out that's $12,000-$2500 in expenses = $10,000 in profit the first year.

Two colleges students with a couple trucks could handle this will ease. That's some good money for college kids.
Shoot. A couple of us could put up the capital upfront to purchase a box truck and some “dealer” equipment that people can rent and then negotiate with a storage facility in the area. Hire a Walker COB student to be a coordinator and some college kids for labor..... pretty low startup costs (outside of a box truck, which you can get for cheap if you search) and all labor cost/storage would be variable. You could even start adding “extras” as you grow.
There probably is some red tape we are overlooking, but yeah this is a pretty simple concept. I imagine this is how Tailgate Guys got their start. Boone Rental All should seriously consider expanding there operation. They have the logistics and business side down, just need to invest in the equipment, which is cheap. Looking forward to checking out Sanford this fall.
I'm not sure that Boone Rent-All has the capacity. I tried to rent a grill/smoker for a wedding last year during the Penn State game and they could not meet my needs. They could expand to do it, but maybe are only interested in the bigger set-ups.

I think this idea would definitely appeal to some, however the set-ups that I saw at the UNC Charlotte game last year just seemed contrived and lacked the tailgate atmosphere that I see in most places. They were on their own island and reminded me more of the hospitality tents at Bank of America Stadium or Charlotte Motor Speedway, then of a true CFB tailgate. There was no creativity or originality.

I do think that someone who would deliver, set-up, then store your gear until the next game would be great service. If they provided ice in the coolers and propane for the grills, even better.
I’ve given the logistics some thought over the years and how we tailgate at App creates some hurdles. Most of these folks are setting up in large green spaces, at App we tailgate in parking lots. Not talking about the tailgate on Sanford. That could be easily done and really cool, but Duck Pond could have been really cool and it really wasn’t. I’m talking about most of us who park and set up behind our cars. This creates an issue with timing and weather. If your just going to drop gear for the owner to set up it has to be before they get there and if we have rain everything could get soaked. Then it would have to be torn down before game time, most of us do that now, and picked up before the end of the third quarter. If your talking about setting up for folks, that would need to be done after they arrive. Most of us set up behind the car. There are ways to make it work but it gets more complicated than setting up in a large open space.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 am

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:07 pm
Surely this is only the Greek tailgate that’s being moved???

If they move the students from Raley there’s going to be a riot. I’ll lead it if I have to.
Hell even Greeks HATED duck pond. We went for a bit because we had to. We much rather would have been at the tailgates at our houses, or in Raley, or at the bars, etc.

As you said messing with Raley is playing with fire

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 am
Gonzo wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:07 pm
Surely this is only the Greek tailgate that’s being moved???

If they move the students from Raley there’s going to be a riot. I’ll lead it if I have to.
Hell even Greeks HATED duck pond. We went for a bit because we had to. We much rather would have been at the tailgates at our houses, or in Raley, or at the bars, etc.

As you said messing with Raley is playing with fire
Well if we find out the Greeks don’t want Sanford we should see if the space could be handed over to the Yosef club. They could offer set up spots for a donation. It has the potential to be one of the best spots on campus.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:30 am

I have always thought that tailgating on Sanford Mall could be a great thing. It is an easy walk to the stadium, good space to spread out, plenty of nearby restrooms, and an area that most people who walk around campus will pass through which will only add to the atmosphere. I just never understood why it hasn't been utilized to its potential, it really could be our version of the Grove.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:51 am

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:30 am
I have always thought that tailgating on Sanford Mall could be a great thing. It is an easy walk to the stadium, good space to spread out, plenty of nearby restrooms, and an area that most people who walk around campus will pass through which will only add to the atmosphere. I just never understood why it hasn't been utilized to its potential, it really could be our version of the Grove.
It has potential, but it is also a haul for our fans to get tailgate setup from their parking lot to the tailgate space. Admin would have to have a plan to reserve the space prior and hand out special traffic passes to allow people up to the student union for drop off and pickup. Folks in the Library deck would have a great place to setup if they did it, though.
Give 'em hell!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of having pre set up tailgates. You just show up and enjoy.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of having pre set up tailgates. You just show up and enjoy.
That would work as well. Maybe even set up a deal with whoever is catering the club level/club room each week to offer a special tailgate menu, or allow folks to bring their own food but offer grills/smokers/etc for daily rental. I know I've never liked putting a grill in my car/SUV and smelling charred meat all the way down the mountain (and for 3 days after).
Give 'em hell!

appfan22

Unread post by appfan22 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Out of the ~20 or so Greek organizations, I can guarantee that less than half will set up on Sanford. It was a logistical nightmare a few years back getting gear out there for a philanthropy event on a Wednesday night. I can only imagine the difficulty on a Gameday morning in Boone.

Fact is, students would much rather tailgate where they aren't being hawk-eyed by administration and law enforcement. When I was there, we were limited to a six pack per person while drinking on campus. Hence is why Duck Pond never quite took off.

Logistics are a big issue for on-campus student tailgating, but the real reason students don’t have a large tailgating presence on campus (other than Raley) are the rules. 21 year olds being told they can’t shotgun a beer at a tailgate doesn’t go over well. Greeks who tailgate on Oak, Hill, Faculty, or Whitener aren’t giving that up for Sanford anytime soon.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:50 pm

All is well. Raley remains a student lot.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Any word on how Sanford went last weekend? Turnout?

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:00 pm
It was bad....I think I saw 2 tents and I might be exaggerating

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:00 pm
It was bad....I think I saw 2 tents and I might be exaggerating
Raley was apparently poppin as per usual.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”