Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sutton suspended for ETSU

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Sutton suspended for ETSU

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:24 am

On mobile and having trouble cut and paste of link but Watauga Democrat reporting this. No reason given beyond team rules but I have a strong hunch on what is going on.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

The Rock

Re: Sutton suspended for ETSU

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:30 am

Saw that too. What seems odd is that I don’t think he has had his court date yet (someone please correct me if I am wrong). So why wait this long to let the systems play out as Drink said earlier in the week if he hasn’t gone to court?
Were the charges dropped?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:53 am

According to article he was suspended for "violation of team rules" which is separate from the legal ramifications he may still face. This way it gets handled from a team disciplinary perspective and we move on. Good move in my opinion.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... e-nav-prev

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:54 am

I agree something had to be done at the start of the season. Good move by Coach. The judicial system unfortunately doesn't revolve around football season and we needed to move forward. Now when the process is complete, some, if not all, of his "time would have been served".

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:07 am

Discipline comes before W-L in my view or we start on a slippary slope of putting athletics before all, but with that said if we must have Sutton on the field for ETSU we are not gong to have a fun season. This seems reasonable in severity and duration and not over the top for this but sends a message that the program has boundaries separate from any legal situations.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:10 am

I agree with the decision and think it is correct, I just don’t understand why he said he was waiting for the judicial process to play out then announced the suspension before the court case. If he was going to do that, why not announce it very shortly after the incident?

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:19 am

The Rock wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:10 am
I agree with the decision and think it is correct, I just don’t understand why he said he was waiting for the judicial process to play out then announced the suspension before the court case. If he was going to do that, why not announce it very shortly after the incident?
Since it was summer, possibly had to wait on school judiciary schedule?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 am

Coach may have been under the impression this would had been wrapped up already. Or the decision was made earlier to Corey but Coach did not want to give ETSU to know so he waited. And if Corey is ok with this timeline then I am as well. And if he is not then make better decisions to avoid the problem.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:07 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 am
Coach may have been under the impression this would had been wrapped up already. Or the decision was made earlier to Corey but Coach did not want to give ETSU to know so he waited. And if Corey is ok with this timeline then I am as well. And if he is not then make better decisions to avoid the problem.
Totally agree, McLApp.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:58 pm

I get what you are saying with one caveat. It shouldn't matter if any offender is OK with any punishment or timeline. It is the Coaching staff and Administration who is responsible for ensuring appropriate consequences for offending actions. This should apply to all athletes.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:58 pm
I get what you are saying with one caveat. It shouldn't matter if any offender is OK with any punishment or timeline. It is the Coaching staff and Administration who is responsible for ensuring appropriate consequences for offending actions. This should apply to all athletes.
I agree, which is the reason for my last sentence of my post. Trying to get a post out on a smartphone is not easy for me so I left out some text, though my main point was made more or less.

My thought process was along the line that if Corey knew of his punishment but was asked to keep quite then that does include him and he needs to buy into it. Coaches and admin staff don't have to include the offender in any conversations but having the offender included can also be helpful in preventing future problems. And even as you dole out punishment you don't have to be as ass about it and then alienate the offender and ruin a relationship if that can be prevented. It may be that just happens and and sometimes, maybe many times, those being dealt punishment react in a negative way and that is on them. None of that should keep TPB from doing what needs to be done, but there are many ways to do what needs to be done and some are more effective in preventing future problems both by the original offender and those around the offender that can see what is and is not happening and the message that will send.

Also we just need to not make it a crime to have some weed. I don't use the stuff and never have, and based on some comments made on this board but those commenting about their own college years I feel like I am in the small minority in my experience with the stuff, but the amount of damage done to people, their families, and by extension society at-large there is so much more damage being done by having these laws on the book than the damage done by using the stuff. It does help the for-profit private prison industry fill their jails.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:48 pm

The biggest problem is they didn't let the judicial process play out. The good with it is that Corey will just miss the first game and it will be in the past. There is more to the story, and it definitely could've been handled better by all parties involved.
The Appalachian State

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Drinkwits is going to do a Monday morning press conference streamed live so the following questions needs to be asked.

-Was the suspension for the arrest and charges? (obvious, but better for Drink to say it than to assume)
-Has the academic conduct process for Sutton concluded?
-What led to this decision last Friday?
-Why was this decision made before the criminal process concluded?

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:57 am

If Drink had waited on the Judicial process to finish and he is found guilty of whatever, then, possibly mid to late season in tougher games Drink is looking at suspending him for a game. This way it’s done in a game that it SHOULDN’T matter. Smart move. He is still punished yet less likely to punish entire team.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:05 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:48 pm
The biggest problem is they didn't let the judicial process play out. The good with it is that Corey will just miss the first game and it will be in the past. There is more to the story, and it definitely could've been handled better by all parties involved.
I don’t really see a problem. Obviously he had weed, and he’s getting suspended a game for it. Done deal and now the football side of things moves on.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:29 am

Apptrain wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:57 am
If Drink had waited on the Judicial process to finish and he is found guilty of whatever, then, possibly mid to late season in tougher games Drink is looking at suspending him for a game. This way it’s done in a game that it SHOULDN’T matter. Smart move. He is still punished yet less likely to punish entire team.

Which is what Dean Smith used to do. Worked for him, obviously
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:27 am

Drink flexed his massive brain again. Pre game-week news dump. Rip the bandaid off with a single game suspension for what is likely our weakest opponent. It sets a tone of accountability early in his tenure as HC, but isn’t over the top for a player accused of committing the most benign crime in the Unites States. We’ll forget about this before his court date.

Very balanced. Very strategic.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:30 am

Gonzo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:27 am
Drink flexed his massive brain again. Pre game-week news dump. Rip the bandaid off with a single game suspension for what is likely our weakest opponent. It sets a tone of accountability early in his tenure as HC, but isn’t over the top for a player accused of committing the most benign crime in the Unites States. We’ll forget about this before his court date.

Very balanced. Very strategic.
Actually I had forgotten all about this and this thread until you brought it up again. Thanks for rehashing all of this nightmare we are trying to put behind up at Mountaineer Nation.

;)

I just don't want Corey to forget this before his court date as missing his court date would ramp this up a bit.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:08 am

His court case has been disposed of. I would think he has been to the "student court" by now(whatever you call it for violation of student behavior). His court punishment was the same as ALL in the same situation as him. Hope he has learned from the mistake and moves forward. Lucky it was ETSU.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Still so dumb that this has to even be a story. I agree with Gonzo I think this was handled well. Time to beat ETSU and get Corey up to speed by the time we take on UNC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”