Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Official Buckie prediction thread

ashugh
School: Appalachian State

Re: Official Buckie prediction thread

Unread post by ashugh » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 pm

Thoroughly unimpressed by today. 21-7 in the third until Zac gets hit clearly causing him the throw Thomas open with about 30 secs left.
The one guy who was, as usual, tough as hell and made a huge difference for us was Hennigan. Kid just has stones.
Otherwise, this team get’s boat raced multiple times this year, including both Carolina’s.
Hope I’m wrong...

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:42 pm

Surprised by how slow the offense operated. For some reason I expected a bit more of a fire in the offense, as opposed to our previous run, run, pass style.
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:54 pm

ashugh wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 pm
Thoroughly unimpressed by today. 21-7 in the third until Zac gets hit clearly causing him the throw Thomas open with about 30 secs left.
The one guy who was, as usual, tough as hell and made a huge difference for us was Hennigan. Kid just has stones.
Otherwise, this team get’s boat raced multiple times this year, including both Carolina’s.
Hope I’m wrong...
I hear ya, however, the jury is still out???? It's early in the first quarter, stand by?

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:59 pm

Vanilla was the plan. Vanilla was executed. We won 42-7 against a hungry, top FCS team.

I watch football because it brings me joy and sometimes I feel like many of our fans don’t.

Beat UNCC!

App4that

Unread post by App4that » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:27 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:59 pm
Vanilla was the plan. Vanilla was executed. We won 42-7 against a hungry, top FCS team.

I watch football because it brings me joy and sometimes I feel like many of our fans don’t.

Beat UNCC!
Couldn't have said this better. Was there for 4 quarters and had a blast. Proud of our prospects, glad to get some early "yips" out.

It's a great day to be a Mountaineer. As it is Every. Day.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:30 pm

What progress our football program has made since exiting the SmallCon.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:33 pm

App4that wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:27 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:59 pm

Beat UNCC!
Couldn't have said this better. Was there for 4 quarters and had a blast. Proud of our prospects, glad to get some early "yips" out.

It's a great day to be a Mountaineer. As it is Every. Day.
Honestly, that was such a clean performance from an execution standpoint, I didn’t see many yips. Especially from a team working together for the first time. Other than Franklin losing his temper and composure, the performance met my expectations.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:05 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:19 pm
Observations--
Good
We are very disciplined, not alot of blown coverages or penalties on either side of the ball.
Methodical on offense--no late calls to the huddle, good tempo. Didn't show a whole lot, but didn't need to.
Team seemed well conditioned.

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense
Two sacks and 10 tackles for loss...very little blitzing...EJ Scott was a beast!!! This Defense will be dialed in next week!!!

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:23 am

appstatealum wrote:
Observations--
Good
We are very disciplined, not alot of blown coverages or penalties on either side of the ball.
Methodical on offense--no late calls to the huddle, good tempo. Didn't show a whole lot, but didn't need to.

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense
I would add:

Good: the weather, beer lines, kicking game, no 1980’s moon bounces that the team runs out of, tackling for a first game.

The bad: injury bug in blast mode, size, I know we are extremely fast, but at some point we got to get some beef up front.

Excellent: the walk of shame when an opposing player gets ejected and has to walk all the way to the Quinn, lmao

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:29 am

AppOrange wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:23 am
appstatealum wrote:
Observations--
Good

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense
I would add:

Good: the weather, beer lines, kicking game, no 1980’s moon bounces that the team runs out of, tackling for a first game.

The bad: injury bug in blast mode, size, I know we are extremely fast, but at some point we got to get some beef up front.

Excellent: the walk of shame when an opposing player gets ejected and has to walk all the way to the Quinn, lmao
Disagree with you on beef up front. Speed negates size.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:45 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:29 am
AppOrange wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Observations--
Good

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense
I would add:

To an extent, I’m not saying go slow, but to keep moving forward as a program, there has to be a good mix of size and speed. In an over the top example, we wouldn’t use receivers on the line, they would be extreme fast, but . . . Just would like to see a little more heft up front. Overall I thought yesterday was really good for a new coaching staff.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:48 am

AppSt94 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Observations--
Good

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense
I would add:

Agree. Very few programs, especially at our level, can get real good beef up front and the speed to go with it. Those guys go P5- let’s be honest. We have to hope that the 6’3” 240lb dudes we bring in get to 275 and maintain the speed. The true challenge and test our speed versus beef will be in Chapel Hill. Their o-line is huge. Let’s hope that they are slower and fat- lol.

Can’t wait to see the tweaks Roof makes and the addition of Sutton with the offense. We might just light it up next week.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:38 am

ukappfan wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:15 pm
I can't believe so many expect 45-60 point win today. ETSU is playing us like a team going into their Super Bowl. I kept saying we have to be careful with this team. They are good enough to give us fits in week one. If this was week 6 or 7 I would have said this would be 63-3 or something but week one is always a tossup as to how things will go.

We have to give them credit for giving us a good first half.

This game on offense also shows us that Sutton is indeed a big time talent and missed. When he got suspended I felt that might cost us 1-2 TDs. He is the best WR in the SBC and we need him to be at full force. I hope he is ready and puts up a monster game next week.
I feel like we are also seeing the growing pains in the new offensive system. They will work out the kinks. Lucky to have two easy games to start.
That's what I thought. I know many probably felt sky was falling in first half but Drink was feeling his way with this team. Nobody knows for sure until you get on the field. The one thing we did see is that like I mentioned prior to the game is that if ETSU can get some turnovers or force some punts that it could be a close game in second half and you never know.

Our talent and depth took over in the third quarter when they made it 21-7. It was probably good for us because to have to wake up. Considering how the first half went I was extremely happy to win 42-7. Now we just have to forget this game and be ready for Charlotte. I want to beat them as bad as we beat ETSU.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:42 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:48 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Observations--
Good

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense
I would add:

Agree. Very few programs, especially at our level, can get real good beef up front and the speed to go with it. Those guys go P5- let’s be honest. We have to hope that the 6’3” 240lb dudes we bring in get to 275 and maintain the speed. The true challenge and test our speed versus beef will be in Chapel Hill. Their o-line is huge. Let’s hope that they are slower and fat- lol.

Can’t wait to see the tweaks Roof makes and the addition of Sutton with the offense. We might just light it up next week.
Size on the OL/DL is harder for a team like us but if you recruit far enough out in the country you can find them. There are some OL in the FCS, D2, and other G5s that are 6'5 300 plus that move well enough they could help us. I would like to get bigger but if I had to pick I would rather us average 6'4 285 on the OL and move very well as opposed to being 6'6 310 and the guys can't move. Last year Elon had an OL who got drafted and ETSU has a big DE this year who is getting looks. I would love to know why we did not offer those guys.

I feel like a UNC or South Carolina fan could have looked at Victor Johnson and Colby Gossett and been happy to have them but at the time they were not the size they wanted in recruiting process. Either way, I would like to get bigger but only if we have guys who can move like Victor Johnson and Noah Hannon and not just get 6'6 300 to say we have it.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:53 am

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:05 am
appstatealum wrote:
Observations--
Good

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense
Two sacks and 10 tackles for loss...very little blitzing...EJ Scott was a beast!!! This Defense will be dialed in next week!!!
We were not going to open up the playbooks too much because we know we did not need to. I do think our lack of size on DL is going to hurt us some against UNC and South Carolina but our speed and hopefully the fact we play 8-10 guys.

Scott was very good and I am glad to see Dawkins start to flash as well. The new corners are as good as Duck and Hayes, which says a lot. We also must have the best LB unit in the SBC when guys like Doublin and Hampton are not starting. I'm excited about the defensive potential. ETSU was probably the worst team we play this year because of depth. I think their starters were as good as a couple teams we will play but they did not have any depth outside of one position. We now have to step it up more because Charlotte will be gunning for us big time.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:04 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:53 am
JMappfan5 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Observations--
Good

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense
We were not going to open up the playbooks too much because we know we did not need to. I do think our lack of size on DL is going to hurt us some against UNC and South Carolina but our speed and hopefully the fact we play 8-10 guys.

Scott was very good and I am glad to see Dawkins start to flash as well. The new corners are as good as Duck and Hayes, which says a lot. We also must have the best LB unit in the SBC when guys like Doublin and Hampton are not starting. I'm excited about the defensive potential. ETSU was probably the worst team we play this year because of depth. I think their starters were as good as a couple teams we will play but they did not have any depth outside of one position. We now have to step it up more because Charlotte will be gunning for us big time.
This may not be received well, but the depth of play calling had less to do with a need to and more to do with not being in a position to. We need to show proficiency in execution to put a play in the plan. This offense will look different in week 7 than it does now.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:04 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:53 am
JMappfan5 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Observations--
Good

Bad
Zero pass rush
Lack of fire on defense

This may not be received well, but the depth of play calling had less to do with a need to and more to do with not being in a position to. We need to show proficiency in execution to put a play in the plan. This offense will look different in week 7 than it does now.
That is always part of it but we were never going to open it up and do all we did against MTSU or all we will do in Columbia or Chapel Hill regardless. I do think this offense will open up a lot more. We did two things Scott never did which I always wanted to do. QB under center some (we need a good mix) and seeing that PA pass by Huesman for a TD with a 28 point lead. The backups deserve to score. We can drain the clock and not take long shots but still throw some and try to convert and score. I want to see Huesman get a lot of PT this year and have some passing TDs. It was good to see him get one.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:18 am

We played 11 true freshmen yesterday and, I haven't re-watched the game yet, but from the stands it looked like Zac wasn't totally comfortable sitting in the pocket which will take a little time I imagine. Hate the injury to Peoples and Franklin but was overall pleased with yesterday's game. I expected Evans and Peoples to break a couple or three long TD runs but a good day except for the injuries. I think ETSU will do well in the SoCon.

strAPPon

Unread post by strAPPon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:23 am

Longtime lurker. Looking to get involved this year.

Zac wasn't sharp yesterday, but it's early. Hennigan impressed. Davis Gaither is a beast.

Thought we threw it too much early, but ran the ball very well. D made me a little nervous.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Ha! when one has such a moniker in his arsenal, he must join! welcome.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”