Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State chant

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: App State chant

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:05 pm

appgrad81 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:58 am
In the upper deck State side you could not hear the chant. I wonder if tearing down field house has anything to do with the sound. Hope it is louder this Saturday.
I sit on the West side on the north of the 50 yard line and couldn't hear the scoreboard that well and wondered if it was because of the field house absence as well..

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:14 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 am
87ASUgrad wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:02 am
AAPP1 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:14 am
Can anyone tell me why it went away in the first place? Maybe I missed something.
They attempted start the SKOL chant on the board at the start of the ETSU game (like the Carolina Hurricanes) instead of our normal chant. It didn't go that well. I am thankful that they will bring back the App/State chant this weekend. I saw the cheerleaders and students tried to start it a couple times during the game, but it was while we were on offense, so we didn't respond STATE!!! from the east side. We will figure it out. #BeatUNCConcord!

I'm completely in favor of the APP/STATE chant, especially in that just-before-intros slot, but the SKOL clap/chant would be pretty awesome if the spot were right, such as between kickoff/punts to the visiting team during the changeover, while the red caps are out, just before starting a crucial defensive series in the 4th Quarter. If it could be executed even close to correctly it would set a heck of an ominous tone for the visitors. Maybe we could distribute some Vikings videos for everyone to watch prior to going live? Ha!
I wanst there Saturday, but why in the world would we use a Scandinavian war chant? Literally nothing to do with Boone or the surrounding area.

I agree it is cool - but only in the proper context - Ala Minnesota

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 pm

AAAAAPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:29 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:14 pm
HkyMtneer wrote:
87ASUgrad wrote:
AAPP1 wrote:
Can anyone tell me why it went away in the first place? Maybe I missed something.
They attempted start the SKOL chant on the board at the start of the ETSU game (like the Carolina Hurricanes) instead of our normal chant. It didn't go that well. I am thankful that they will bring back the App/State chant this weekend. I saw the cheerleaders and students tried to start it a couple times during the game, but it was while we were on offense, so we didn't respond STATE!!! from the east side. We will figure it out. #BeatUNCConcord!

I'm completely in favor of the APP/STATE chant, especially in that just-before-intros slot, but the SKOL clap/chant would be pretty awesome if the spot were right, such as between kickoff/punts to the visiting team during the changeover, while the red caps are out, just before starting a crucial defensive series in the 4th Quarter. If it could be executed even close to correctly it would set a heck of an ominous tone for the visitors. Maybe we could distribute some Vikings videos for everyone to watch prior to going live? Ha!
I wanst there Saturday, but why in the world would we use a Scandinavian war chant? Literally nothing to do with Boone or the surrounding area.

I might be wrong here, but I think what is being called the "SKOL" chant is the 2 stomps and clap traditionally leading up to "We Will Rock You" (Queen). I think the assumption is that the "Rock" is the tie to App. It's a new thing this year.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here. I wasn't familiar with the term "Skol" change either.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:32 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:14 pm
HkyMtneer wrote:
87ASUgrad wrote:
AAPP1 wrote:

I get where you're coming from but the SKOL has taken on it's own identity in many "non-Scandinavian" markets. Check out Atlanta United's use as it reverberates around M-B Stadium...pretty cool.

AppTraveler
School: Missouri

Unread post by AppTraveler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 pm

appgrad81 wrote:
In the upper deck State side you could not hear the chant. I wonder if tearing down field house has anything to do with the sound. Hope it is louder this Saturday.
Also sit on the East or State side and not only was it almost impossible to hear the chant but I noticed a definite lack of BOD participation. After watching countless games over the weekend. At most moments when you'd normally hear the band rev one up there was either nothing or the canned music. We have got to let the band play snippets of Hi HI Yikas at critical moments. The other issue has been timing. We don't do any chants, cheers, music when we are on offense as we approach the line of scrimmage and try to run a play. Come on students.....get it together.

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 pm
AAAAAPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STAAAAAAATE!!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:06 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:05 pm
appgrad81 wrote:
I sit on the West side on the north of the 50 yard line and couldn't hear the scoreboard that well and wondered if it was because of the field house absence as well..
Oh god, you're going to upset someone who thinks the hippity hop music coming from the scoreboard is ear piercingly loud.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Agree last week was a mess.

Use a hype video to bring them on the field with Welcome to the Rock. As soon as the team comes on the field, the scoreboard must be used to direct and slow the cadence of the App State Chant because we have not taught the younger ones correctly..

West side- APP
1 to 1.5 seconds of silence
East Side- State
Repeat

Chant should not get quicker. Fans should stand and continue to bring it loud and proud until they kick the ball or buglers dream is played with everyone pointing in the direction App State is kicking.

Simple. Don’t let this tradition die. It is how we as App Nation set the tone when we play at home.
Go, Fight, Win, Kick Ass!
Last edited by Appstate88 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:29 pm

How about just show them on the board how it's done adding this before the hype video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6VQhLUCGFc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBHiESfXtkU

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:25 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:28 pm
Agree last week was a mess.

Use a hype video to bring them on the field with Welcome to the Rock. As soon as the team comes on the field, the scoreboard must be used to direct and slow the cadence of the App State Chant because we have not taught the younger ones correctly..

West side- APP
1 to 1.5 seconds of silence
East Side- State
Repeat

Chant should not get quicker. Fans should stand and continue to bring it loud and proud until they kick the ball or buglers dream is played with everyone pointing in the direction App State is kicking.

Simple. Don’t let this tradition die. It is how we as App Nation set the tone when play at home.
Go, Fight, Win, Kick Ass!
This all should be a part of orientation when you come to App State.
Give Em Hell!!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:36 am

Perhaps we should have a midnight yell the night before home games to practice. Oh wait, someone else already does that.

I think it's worth copying though. We could call ours the Midnight Holler.
WE ARE YOSEF!

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:11 am

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:36 am
Perhaps we should have a midnight yell the night before home games to practice. Oh wait, someone else already does that.

I think it's worth copying though. We could call ours the Midnight Holler.
I've been an advocate of this for a while. if we're going to copy someone else's tradition this is the one I would choose. I like your idea of calling it the "Midnight Holler".
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”