Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AP Poll: App still ahead of UNC

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

AP Poll: App still ahead of UNC

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:05 am

Interesting that we beat an FCS team and UNC beats USC but we're still receiving more votes...in both the AP and Coaches polls.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... ium=social

97APP

Re: AP Poll: App still ahead of UNC

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:18 am

After watching their game, UNC has definitely improved. However, South Carolina stunk the field up. I think most voters are a little cautious in placing any faith in UNC this early in the season. If they beat Miami, I bet they'll leapfrog us.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:20 am

App did what was expected, so I wouldn't expect a bunch of folks to suddenly stop voting for us. UNC did exceed expectations, but they had a ways to climb. It should be a heck of a game shaping up!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:25 am

Well lets hope App handles Charlotte accordingly and UNC takes care of business the next two weeks. Will give some extra juice, as if there wasn't a reason for it.

Let the North Carolina players take over the locker room for the two week period and sort of instill that vitriol that induces Hate Week motivation against Georgia Southern.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:27 am

97APP wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:18 am
After watching their game, UNC has definitely improved. However, South Carolina stunk the field up. I think most voters are a little cautious in placing any faith in UNC this early in the season. If they beat Miami, I bet they'll leapfrog us.
I haven't had a chance to watch UNC - USC game. Would it appear that there was an issue with lack of game film on USC's part? Obvious breakdowns in play calling? Vanilla? Seemingly being unsure of what play to run based on the situation?

With 3 weeks of game tape and one Saturday where the coaching staff can actively watch UNC (I'd go buy box seats if I were them to watch them play Week 3 live) and sort of mock their game play against what happens on the field to see what UNC likes to run.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:27 am
97APP wrote:
I haven't had a chance to watch UNC - USC game. Would it appear that there was an issue with lack of game film on USC's part? Obvious breakdowns in play calling? Vanilla? Seemingly being unsure of what play to run based on the situation?

With 3 weeks of game tape and one Saturday where the coaching staff can actively watch UNC (I'd go buy box seats if I were them to watch them play Week 3 live) and sort of mock their game play against what happens on the field to see what UNC likes to run.
USC had the ball in UNC territory at least twice in the last 5 mins of the game and both possessions ended in turnovers. Bentley overthrew nearly every ball in the 2nd half - he was terrible. The Cocks had them on the ropes several times and just couldn't put them away. UNC played with heart, but didn't look impressive at all (to me).
Give 'em hell!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 am

fwiw, Bentley is out indefinitely with an injury.
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 am

97APP wrote:
If they beat Miami, UNC should leapfrog us, they'll have 2 better wins than we do for sure. then we can settle it on the field 2 weeks later.
BLACK SATURDAY

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:42 am

I felt before the game that both Carolinas were borderline bowl teams, and that game didn't change my view. (Although the loss will make it tough for South Carolina given their brutal schedule).

I would say two things impressed me about UNC: 1) Their freshman QB "got it" as the game went on. He's going to be a good one. 2) They absolutely dominated the fourth quarter. Their new S&C program looks to be a big upgrade.

Their defense does look to disguise a lot of things, so I would agree that having three games of film will be beneficial for our offensive staff.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am

We really need UNC to take care of business and sneak into the bottom of the top 25 when we play them so that WHEN we beat them it is a quality win and will help our cause.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:59 am

We need Miami to beat up UNC

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:11 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:27 am
97APP wrote:

UNC has a definite improvement in QB, he made some errors and had some luck but definite position upgrade there. Overall they appear to play with a purpose as opposed to last year ( you can get a sense of the identity they wish to have on the field.) Offensively they want to run but are willing to let their QB make plays. Defensively I didn't notice any major breakdowns. They appeared to be in the right spots and ran to the ball well.

South Carolina - appeared to have no confidence in their QB's ability to pass the ball. Their defense is alright but the longer the game went you could see them wearing down or playing with less enthusiasm. I attribute some of this to their lackluster offense. When your offense isn't producing, your defense will eventually lose momentum.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:49 am

The pollsters are obviously discounting the fact that old App, ex National Championship Texas coach, Mack Brown is back. It will be a blood bath with Tar Hick flavored refs.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:19 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:49 am
The pollsters are obviously discounting the fact that old App, ex National Championship Texas coach, Mack Brown is back. It will be a blood bath with Tar Hick flavored refs.
Are there Sun Belt refs in this game? I thought this was a 2-1? Basically a 1-1 with a money game? That would mean there would be Sun Belt refs at the away game, right?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am
We really need UNC to take care of business and sneak into the bottom of the top 25 when we play them so that WHEN we beat them it is a quality win and will help our cause.
If App were to beat a Top 25 UNC team, that would go a long way toward invalidating Satterfields statement of "what else is there to accomplish at Appalachian State?". Now of course we assume App continues to win from there, but as far as the balance of power in the state, that would help. Also could help the Yosef Club, if there are interested in actually marketing the program, increase donations.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:39 am

I don't know why so many seem to focus on that statement about "what else is there to accomplish." That was a statement made by a coach who had accomplished a TON in his tenure here at App and had an opportunity to move up for a huge opportunity. I'm sure Coach Satterfield is painfully aware of our lack of wins against P5 programs since 2007 and that there were still goals to be accomplished. I just don't see why folks want to zone in on that as if it were a slap in the face. Time to move on! We need to win these games because it's a game on our schedule and not worry about defending our honor against some fictional slight in the past.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:49 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:59 am
We need Miami to beat up UNC
I get what you are saying but wouldn't we rather beat a UNC team with no excuses? "The only reason we lost to App is because we are beat up". That is not what we want to hear. We need to beat a UNC team high off of their fast start, Mack Attack, blah blah blah.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:20 am
App did what was expected, so I wouldn't expect a bunch of folks to suddenly stop voting for us. UNC did exceed expectations, but they had a ways to climb. It should be a heck of a game shaping up!
You think a bunch of folks are voting for us? My guess is there is one voter in each poll who had/has us at 22.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:05 am
Interesting that we beat an FCS team and UNC beats USC but we're still receiving more votes...in both the AP and Coaches polls.
[\quote]

Why would that surprise anyone? UNC has been terrible the past two years and beat what looks like a mediocre South Carolina team on a neutral field. App had more votes going into the weekend and covers a huge spread. Why would UNC logically jump over App in any poll based on those outcomes?
Last edited by MountainMan2020 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:24 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:20 am
You think a bunch of folks are voting for us? My guess is there is one voter in each poll who had/has us at 22.
Seems like some of our own want to sell us short. The Athletic had us in at #25 before week 1 and now at #27. I think it’s likely more than “one voter”. Good thing some of you guys aren’t voters!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”