Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted Roof Comments

Boonegoon
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fire Ted Roof

Unread post by Boonegoon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:24 pm
GlassOnion wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:22 pm
Was not impressed with the Roof hire to begin with, downright livid now. We could save $$$$$$ and just let our athletes line up themselves and do better than this. We're going from a top 10 defense to a bottom 10 by the look of it. The players are there, they are proven performers. 6 figures for this steaming mess? I got into the wrong business.
Roof didn't miss tackles or have stupid undisciplined penalties. Can't put all the blame on a new Coach. He may need to find the players to fit his schemes. Patience grasshopper!!!
The patience is thin because this isn’t supposed to be a rebuilding year. I think there is a lot of feeing that you have to strike while the iron is hot and there are a ton of pieces in place. Waiting for him to get his personnel essentially renders this season moot and that’s enormously frustrating to consider.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Again,I saw no 4-3 and I just watched the game again. We played 3 down linemen and schemed linebackers in different slots all day , sometimes 2 on the line of scrimmage. We made a lot of plays on defense but we gave up a couple upfront and way too many on the backside. The biggest thing I saw defensively was appearing to not know where the ball was .

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:05 pm

I re-watched the entire game. You all can blame Coach Roof all you want. But, no scheme will work if you miss tackles. I can take the penalties, some of which were stupid on the players' part, and others were stupid calls by the refs. But, I cannot take the missed tackles. For every good tackle, there were at LEAST two misses.

And, for all the criticism I hear about the new corners, it looked to me like Charlotte made some miraculous catches through pretty darn good coverage. Again, if we had tackled better, this thread would not exist.

I suggest practice drills should occupy the defense for the next couple weeks. I don't recall missing this many tackles all of last year.

The good news is that there's nothing wrong with our offense and special teams.

You all just need to chill. We will be fine.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:04 pm
asutrnr81 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm
Real problem is that Ivey and Jones was prevented from staying. They both wanted to stay and APParently Drink was told no.

I SAW Jones stand on his head arguing with Brown at Penn State last year. (Nothing inappropriate). Is anyone standing up and saying anything during the game....it doesn't look like it.

There was not enough coach enthusiasm /passion on the sidelines yesterday to Impassion anyone.
This is not entirely accurate. There was alot more to the story.
No doubt and I didn't have time for a novel....or space but the horses mouth does count. ....and even the horses mouth can tell the story that best fits the narrative. But imma gonna stick with the jist of what I posted. It's pretty reliable....😉
Go APPS!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:14 pm

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:23 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:14 pm

And they got the L to go with all of those stats.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:25 pm

So Charlotte is looking for a silver lining. “At least we .....”. Do standings list:

Wins
Losses
Stat leader

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Agreed 94 - those stats mean nothing if you get the L - however I will add the caveat that when a program is on the build with a new staff all positive news is adding to the foundation...
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Moral victories are for losers.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 pm
Moral victories are for losers.
Can't totally agree with that - there are situations and variables that keep your statement from being 100% correct - however, in most cases you are right
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Listen to #24 and #59 tell it like it is.
We are doing things differently (scheme), running new defensive plays with new coaches and not communicating. I hold the HC and DC accountable for not fully understanding the uniqueness of the 3-4 defense woody installed and brown improved. The defensive changes made by the new coaches so far this season is not an improvement. We have two weeks. Get to work. Defense win championships.

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:46 pm

And I see those stats and if I’m an App State coach I’m embarrassed and pissed off.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Roof didn't miss tackles or have stupid undisciplined penalties. Can't put all the blame on a new Coach. He may need to find the players to fit his schemes. Patience grasshopper!!!
Why should he get a pass to find new players for a new scheme when we didn't need a new scheme?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:43 pm
For the record, I am not in the Fire Roof camp either.
However, my biggest fear this year was losing our edge on defense. We had a Top 25 defense last year and ranked Top 15 in several categories.

My hope was that Roof and our defensive coaches would plug into our system vs. plugging our players into their system. That's what I don't see at this point. Two weeks is a lot of time to self examine, adjust and move forward. We'll see the results in Chapel Hill.
No coach in history wants to take a job where he's told what to do coming in. Whether it be by the HC, AD, or fan base. Every single coach ever hired puts their stamp on a program. Not the other way around.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:46 pm
And I see those stats and if I’m an App State coach I’m embarrassed and pissed off.
After watching the post game interview again, I get the feeling that Drink is embarrassed and pissed. I get this impression not so much from what he said, rather by observing his body language. He could not sit still in his seat and was constantly doing things with his hands, he couldn't sit still for one moment. There in no doubt from my observation that he is currently not pleased with some of his staff.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:04 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 pm
JMappfan5 wrote:
Why should he get a pass to find new players for a new scheme when we didn't need a new scheme?
If this is the mind set that Drink and Roof have with the defense and scheme we had before, we made the wrong decision.

If Drink wants to move up in 2 years (which I assume he does), he needs to have the same scheme we had last year and continue to improve the offense. He will have someone drop a couple million bucks on his door with all the winning we'd be doing.

We didn't need a rebuild, and if thats what we're in for, Drink/Roof deserve all the pressure they are getting.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:08 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:43 pm
For the record, I am not in the Fire Roof camp either.
However, my biggest fear this year was losing our edge on defense. We had a Top 25 defense last year and ranked Top 15 in several categories.

My hope was that Roof and our defensive coaches would plug into our system vs. plugging our players into their system. That's what I don't see at this point. Two weeks is a lot of time to self examine, adjust and move forward. We'll see the results in Chapel Hill.
No coach in history wants to take a job where he's told what to do coming in. Whether it be by the HC, AD, or fan base. Every single coach ever hired puts their stamp on a program. Not the other way around.
I agree wholeheartedly. But these coaches knew what they had and what was successful I think. Move some pieces and build off what was successful.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:40 pm
Listen to #24 and #59 tell it like it is.
We are doing things differently (scheme), running new defensive plays with new coaches and not communicating. I hold the HC and DC accountable for not fully understanding the uniqueness of the 3-4 defense woody installed and brown improved. The defensive changes made by the new coaches so far this season is not an improvement. We have two weeks. Get to work. Defense win championships.

Really good things came of this today......
The Appalachian State

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:54 pm

If we are this frustrated imagine what the defensive players are feeling. They take pride in the reputation they’ve earned and they continue to give their all for Appalachian State. Not one of us wants to shut out our opponents worse than they do. Let’s trust the visor to right the ship and let’s yell our support for our defense like never before.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:05 pm
I re-watched the entire game. You all can blame Coach Roof all you want. But, no scheme will work if you miss tackles. I can take the penalties, some of which were stupid on the players' part, and others were stupid calls by the refs. But, I cannot take the missed tackles. For every good tackle, there were at LEAST two misses.

And, for all the criticism I hear about the new corners, it looked to me like Charlotte made some miraculous catches through pretty darn good coverage. Again, if we had tackled better, this thread would not exist.

I suggest practice drills should occupy the defense for the next couple weeks. I don't recall missing this many tackles all of last year.

The good news is that there's nothing wrong with our offense and special teams.

You all just need to chill. We will be fine.
When guys start out of position, it makes taking angles and tackling a lot harder. Why do you think our guys were so exhausted in the second half. They are constantly having to overexert themselves:
- linebackers are having to fight off of blocks
- DBs are having to continuously play man
- safeties are having to chase free receivers and long runs.

There is more to football than man hike ball, man run ball, other man tackle guy with ball. Scheme and game planning is one of the most important elements of football.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”