Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted Roof Comments

App90

Re: Ted Roof Comments

Unread post by App90 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:37 pm

guitarstrat82 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:29 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am
mike87 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 am
Are we really hearing about disdain from the players or are we hearing about it from faceless posters on an open message board? Surely nobody really believes what you read on the internet.
There's definitely disdain from the players. You can hear it from Davis-Gaither in his post game interview. He specifically said they are trying to learn new plays. That's because the plays were introduced the day before.
Alright, I’ve been a lurker on this site for a long, long time. I used to work with the team, but due to the NDA I had to sign, I’ll just say it was within the past decade.

First off, everyone associated with the program (players, coaches, staff and etc) visit this site frequently. Everyone has to sign a NDA and this site is monitored for leaks. It really isn’t hard for them to figure out the source of inside information. No one wants to risk their job over a message board.

So, I’m not sure how you got this information, but someone is risking everything by telling you this if they really work with the team. They must really trust you, and boy would you have really violated that trust by posting this.

However, I doubt anyone told you this that has inside knowledge of the team. Introducing new plays the day before a game? I’m sorry, that’s just not how division 1 football works.

This site is full of false information and people take it as fact and regurgitate it. When I was with the team I never once saw something on here (at least in the public forums) about the inner workings of the team that was accurate.

Also, slightly off topic, but I don’t want to post again: What is all the 4-3 talk I’m seeing? I don’t think most of you know what a 3-4 for looks like. I would be happy if someone showed me some film of us running the 4-3. All I have seen this season is the 3-4. I’ve watched both games multiple times and I’m just not seeing this supposed 4-3 defense. I think a lot of people on here equate the poor defensive performance to the 4-3 because Roof said we would adopt a multi-front defense. He clearly has chosen performance over preference when he realized the 3-4 personal we had and has run a base 3-4 through both of our two games.

Give the man some time. New schemes don’t install themselves right away. Our team just needs to focus on the fundamentals right now. We gave up a lot of big plays while we had a good scheme going. The only way this happens is when players can’t finish the tackle or blow an assignment.

Have faith that they will study the film and get to work this week. We can only improve from here.

(Sorry for the rant, that concludes my one post for the next couple of years lol. I’ll still be on here reading (and so will the team, so please everyone, watch your words. We don’t want your negativity to spread to the locker room).
I know this has been beaten to death, but I had a very good friend who was a college coach for a very long time. He said that Ted Roof's scheme to defend UNCC was the right way to go. ASU was in is a 3-4 base with cover one meaning the CB's were one on one with a safety high and the other in run support. UNCC countered with 3 level routes and once the play starts our corners were locked up in one on one coverage which created alot of voids for the UNCC receivers to find. UNCC constantly flooded the side where the void was. Which led to 20-30 yards completions. UNCC receivers were running to areas not much as to spots. On top of that UNCC ran their zone reads perfectly. ASU was blitzing leaving the middle wide open, and eye discipline was a challenge with some of ASU's players, along with about 10 missed tackles near the line of scrimmage and lane assignments and actual missed assignments. My point in all of this is Ted Roof actually had it right maybe in the second half ASU could have put the linebackers a few more yards back but it appears ASU was determined to make UNCC pass the ball, UNCC looks to have been practicing the scheme to beat ASU's multiple front 3-4 scheme for months. The wrinkle that Roof seemed to put in was alot more blitzing and getting closer to the LOS, our defensive staff appears to have alot of confidence in ASU's corner backs. ASU got the win and I think UNCC has actually really improved.

Longrifle28
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:00 pm

App90 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:37 pm
guitarstrat82 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Are we really hearing about disdain from the players or are we hearing about it from faceless posters on an open message board? Surely nobody really believes what you read on the internet.
There's definitely disdain from the players. You can hear it from Davis-Gaither in his post game interview. He specifically said they are trying to learn new plays. That's because the plays were introduced the day before.
Alright, I’ve been a lurker on this site for a long, long time. I used to work with the team, but due to the NDA I had to sign, I’ll just say it was within the past decade.

First off, everyone associated with the program (players, coaches, staff and etc) visit this site frequently. Everyone has to sign a NDA and this site is monitored for leaks. It really isn’t hard for them to figure out the source of inside information. No one wants to risk their job over a message board.

So, I’m not sure how you got this information, but someone is risking everything by telling you this if they really work with the team. They must really trust you, and boy would you have really violated that trust by posting this.

However, I doubt anyone told you this that has inside knowledge of the team. Introducing new plays the day before a game? I’m sorry, that’s just not how division 1 football works.

This site is full of false information and people take it as fact and regurgitate it. When I was with the team I never once saw something on here (at least in the public forums) about the inner workings of the team that was accurate.

Also, slightly off topic, but I don’t want to post again: What is all the 4-3 talk I’m seeing? I don’t think most of you know what a 3-4 for looks like. I would be happy if someone showed me some film of us running the 4-3. All I have seen this season is the 3-4. I’ve watched both games multiple times and I’m just not seeing this supposed 4-3 defense. I think a lot of people on here equate the poor defensive performance to the 4-3 because Roof said we would adopt a multi-front defense. He clearly has chosen performance over preference when he realized the 3-4 personal we had and has run a base 3-4 through both of our two games.

Give the man some time. New schemes don’t install themselves right away. Our team just needs to focus on the fundamentals right now. We gave up a lot of big plays while we had a good scheme going. The only way this happens is when players can’t finish the tackle or blow an assignment.

Have faith that they will study the film and get to work this week. We can only improve from here.

(Sorry for the rant, that concludes my one post for the next couple of years lol. I’ll still be on here reading (and so will the team, so please everyone, watch your words. We don’t want your negativity to spread to the locker room).
I know this has been beaten to death, but I had a very good friend who was a college coach for a very long time. He said that Ted Roof's scheme to defend UNCC was the right way to go. ASU was in is a 3-4 base with cover one meaning the CB's were one on one with a safety high and the other in run support. UNCC countered with 3 level routes and once the play starts our corners were locked up in one on one coverage which created alot of voids for the UNCC receivers to find. UNCC constantly flooded the side where the void was. Which led to 20-30 yards completions. UNCC receivers were running to areas not much as to spots. On top of that UNCC ran their zone reads perfectly. ASU was blitzing leaving the middle wide open, and eye discipline was a challenge with some of ASU's players, along with about 10 missed tackles near the line of scrimmage and lane assignments and actual missed assignments. My point in all of this is Ted Roof actually had it right maybe in the second half ASU could have put the linebackers a few more yards back but it appears ASU was determined to make UNCC pass the ball, UNCC looks to have been practicing the scheme to beat ASU's multiple front 3-4 scheme for months. The wrinkle that Roof seemed to put in was alot more blitzing and getting closer to the LOS, our defensive staff appears to have alot of confidence in ASU's corner backs. ASU got the win and I think UNCC has actually really improved.
I think after beating this horse to death and rewatching the game I tend to agree with you. Hopefully we'll see our biggest improvement between the uncc game and the UNC game. I'm going to refrain from posting during the game or even several days after the UNC game. Come on team, you've got this!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Appgrad91

Unread post by Appgrad91 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Bottom line is this gang. If you hated the Ted Roof hire from the onset then in most cases your not going to like the guy no matter what he does. The Roof haters were just lying wait for something like this to happen win or lose. The reality is even if we stomp UNC and only give up an avg of 10 pts a game the rest of the season, Roof will not be given credit by his true "haters". It will be rationalized that either the other defensive coaches stepped up or Coach Drink did something to correct this issue. During my time at App I really developed a lot of hatred of UNC because i have a relative and friends who went there. Whenever they lose, regardless of the opponent, its always what UNC didn't do to win a game. Never really being able to acknowledge the other team might just be better than you are. Arrogance. Funny as I have spent time reading through all these messages, I wonder who we sound like? The good is success has made us this way. Go App! Beat UNC!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm

If you remove two long running plays (appeared to be the exact same play), a few missed tackles and if our young DBs will turn their head occasionally, the game looks very different. I could be wrong but the issues seem to be very coachable. It's NOT like they were simply out "athleting" us (I know....not a word).

I was frustrated with the passes that they completed while our DBs appeared to have very good coverage. We were in position and they were not really creating separation. Give credit to Charlotte for some very good throws/catches. However, if our DB has turned his head, we might have had an interception or two and we certainly would have avoided at least one pass interference call. I'm not saying this to be critical of our young DBs. I'm pointing out that these young men have the athleticism, and will get coached up. I believe we will see improvement against UNC.

In terms of motivation and energy, getting "up" for Charlotte has to be a challenge. I really don't think that will be an issue in Chapel Hill.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:30 pm

From my vantage point on the East side at the 40 it appeared that the UNCC QB wasn't bad at all. He put a couple of long passes right on the money and at least one was well covered. It just happens. If we win 50-30 are the haters still going to worry to death about the defense? Nobody seems to recall the Big12 Conference of a few years back. Games were like the one we played every single week. Even Oklahoma was giving up lots of points and yards. We might get gashed on a few plays Saturday but I just don't see UNC slowing us down much, unless our line plays poorly.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Yeah, wouldn't it be horrible to go undefeated but have our Defensive ranking drop to 30? I don't know if we could stand that.

Howell (UNC) looked pretty good when he had time but it looks like he will get rattled if pressured. He's also not particularly mobile from what I saw, which favors App. If we can get pressure without blitzing we will be able to shut them down. If we have to blitz, it becomes a crap shoot. On the other side, I really didn't see anything about their D that makes me think they can stop our offense. Their DBs are small and couldn't handle Wake's bigger receivers. Their Front 7 look pretty good, but they aren't all that big. In looking at their roster, I think ETSU was actually bigger on both lines.

This game is in reach. It should be a great game.

GO APPS! BEAT THE HEELS!!!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Any chance J. Earle and M. Clark will be back on the field this Saturday at NT?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm
Any chance J. Earle and M. Clark will be back on the field this Saturday at NT?
According to Drink's press conf today everyone was "ready to roll" (other than Peoples and Edwards).

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:01 pm

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:40 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:13 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:29 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 am
I'm sorry but I saw more open receivers than I've seen in a long time and a lot more YAC than we are used to seeing. Something isn't quite right. Great success last year, returning 7 starters? Why monkey with it?
It’s almost like we lost 2 CB’s to NFL rosters. Like, I’m not trying to be rude, but do you really not take stuff like that into consideration before posting? Do you honestly think a sunbelt program has the ability to just reload on the fly like that? If you do you’re going to be massively disappointed in App State for years to come. Also, did some of y’all think Bryan Brown was just going to leave his playbook in some secret spot with clues to Ted Roof on where to find it? We were the 4th ranked d in the country and lost our 4 most important pieces from that unit, it was obvious to anyone that we would take a step back on that side of the ball this year. Anyone who says or thinks otherwise is either disingenuous or just doesn’t know much about college football at the G5 level.
Of course a G5 team won't simply replace guys who got a shot in the NFL or a 1st team All-Conf player so easily every year but we kept recruiting better and better. If you are saying our talent should drop off big time then you are saying Brown, Satt, etc did not recruit as well the last couple years and that is simply not true. Our coaches felt the corners stepping in now were just as good as the seniors but without the experience. Who were the 4 most important pieces last year? I thought our top guys Stout, Gaither, Fehr, Hayes, Franklin, Duck, and Smith.

I'm sure you would have said the same at RB if we did not have someone as good as Moore and Evans turns out to be just as good. Skill players can be replaced much easier so I would not highlight the corner losses as much as Stout.

We lost two very good CBs but our coaches felt the guys behind them were going to be very good as well. We do not have 2 CBs from last year's squad on NFL rosters. They got a shot but did not make opening day rosters.

As for the playbook, nobody expected Roof to have a secret copy laying around but you have a ton of players returning who have it, know the schemes, etc. Roof can also watch film of 2018 and see exactly what type of stuff Brown did. If you can't watch film and take enough notes to know what the team did prior then you aren't good enough to coach.
I don’t take 247 recruiting as the gospel but how do you know we’ve been recruiting better? Our 2015 class was #114, 2016 was #109, 2017 was #107, 2018 was #113, 2018 was #101. I don’t think you can just say flat out we’ve been recruiting guys who can step in day 1 and replace what we lost. Also they are on NFL practice squads which I’m pretty sure is what i said but if i didn’t and you wanna quibble in semantics then have at it. It’s pretty obvious SJC, Jolly, and Jones are pretty big step backs from Hayes and Duck, along with missing Stout.
Go watch the film of our corners in HS and Duck and Hayes were as good but not way better. All of them have ability. They were all pretty close in talent. Don't even quote the overall ranking of players because 247 just looks at P5 commits mostly and gives low generic ratings to guys with G5 or below offers only. They don't really evaluate them. Based on the speed and talent we have brought in Satt was getting classes that should have been ranked in the 50-80 range and our coaches were developing our players well.

You said in the NFL and did not specify. Hayes is on Jags practice squad but Duck is not with Bears. If you read what I said prior to the draft and just after it that I expected he was 50/50 with a real shot to make it. I always said Hayes was better than Duck. Duck was a very good college corner but he was not irreplaceable. I miss Duck but these guys are capable with a little time.

I think we are missing Stout more than those guys. These corners will be fine as long as Roof and Charlie don't mess them up. I know both are respected names in coaching but my NFL buddy has told me that while they are liked personally they have never had much success when they called defenses. Arizona DBs were destroyed under Harbison. I think coaching is hurting our kids at DB right now.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:16 pm

I think Earle plays.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:36 pm

App90 wrote:
guitarstrat82 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:

Right. This was the same thing that we noted, the problem was UNCC was prepared for it and the patience of LeMay and the ability of their receivers to win the 1v1 killed us. No adjustments were made when it was clear UNCC had our scheme diagnosed. Kudos to Healy and Reynolds, they look better now than they did against GWebb, but we could've adjusted and forced Reynolds into coverage versus blitzing and letting his receivers win the 1v1s. Honestly, I do not think the Tarheels have the patience that Charlotte does, so a blitz heavy game plan may work, but your still highlighting our weakness (young DBs) and limiting our strengths (LBs) with this hybrid 3-4 scheme. In theory, the game plan wasnt bad, but it didn't take long to see that Healy had it figured out. We are really overanalyzing this.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:04 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:36 pm
App90 wrote:
guitarstrat82 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:

Right. This was the same thing that we noted, the problem was UNCC was prepared for it and the patience of LeMay and the ability of their receivers to win the 1v1 killed us. No adjustments were made when it was clear UNCC had our scheme diagnosed. Kudos to Healy and Reynolds, they look better now than they did against GWebb, but we could've adjusted and forced Reynolds into coverage versus blitzing and letting his receivers win the 1v1s. Honestly, I do not think the Tarheels have the patience that Charlotte does, so a blitz heavy game plan may work, but your still highlighting our weakness (young DBs) and limiting our strengths (LBs) with this hybrid 3-4 scheme. In theory, the game plan wasnt bad, but it didn't take long to see that Healy had it figured out. We are really overanalyzing this.
And a good DC would see this and make adjustments. Bottom line here is that Roof did not adjust to Healy and he should have tried to. He just relied on our talent. I'm sure coming from the ACC he knows we can't do that against UNC and we will actually have to out coach them. I just doubt Roof is capable but hope I am wrong.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 pm

The game plan was to stop the run and we did that successfully sans two long runs in the first half. Hell, Charlotte had 175 yds, 2-7 on third down and 14 points in the first half. So what adjustments would you have felt needed to be made to the plan? Reynolds came out and played lights out in the second half. Drink never felt the game was in doubt. We played one bad half. It happens. Let it go.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:10 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 pm
The game plan was to stop the run and we did that successfully sans two long runs in the first half. Hell, Charlotte had 175 yds, 2-7 on third down and 14 points in the first half. So what adjustments would you have felt needed to be made to the plan? Reynolds came out and played lights out in the second half. Drink never felt the game was in doubt. We played one bad half. It happens. Let it go.
I never felt the game was in doubt for sure. I just did not like the defense giving up that many points. UNCC is not so good they should have ever scored it. However, the game is over and we are on to UNC. We will see what our coaches do this weekend. I hope I am wrong.

Appstate88

Re: Fire Ted Roof

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:05 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:57 pm
I say put Roof up in the press box and let Gasparato call the Defense plays on the field... Roof is like Biden...can’t hit a fast ball anymore.
I’m not a head coach but, I’m staying at a Holiday Inn Express tonight. 😂 Go Apps. Solid D today.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:17 am

Chaz wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:11 pm
He’s the same guy he’s always been and everyone said he was. None of this “wait and see” crap. He doesn’t deserve a job.

Do you?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:43 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:17 am
Chaz wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:11 pm
He’s the same guy he’s always been and everyone said he was. None of this “wait and see” crap. He doesn’t deserve a job.

Do you?
I would have been fired long ago if I underperformed, but shouldn't you get back to posting random questions on the board that a quick Google search would answer for you?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:53 am

On a different topic, can you remind me who Drinkwitz hired as the defensive coordinator? I'd like to discuss his defensive schemes against Charlotte, UNC and Coastal.

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:00 am

Obviously we fans look ahead, and of any season weve had in this FBS era...really since 2006 this is the best shot weve had or will have for the foreseeable future at an undefeated season. It will be hard...but it's possible at this point. But when you have those tough matchups (we passed the UNC test) like Louisiana, South Carolina and Troy...its hard to feel good about roofs defense. I hope he proves us all wrong...but many are saying this is the best Louisiana team ever, and that doesnt shock me. They gave us 2 great games last year. They are tough.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”