Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted Roof Comments

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ted Roof Comments

Unread post by biggie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:06 pm

52-17 with a minute to go. But we still shouldn’t have given up that much.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:29 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 am
I'm sorry but I saw more open receivers than I've seen in a long time and a lot more YAC than we are used to seeing. Something isn't quite right. Great success last year, returning 7 starters? Why monkey with it?
It’s almost like we lost 2 CB’s to NFL rosters. Like, I’m not trying to be rude, but do you really not take stuff like that into consideration before posting? Do you honestly think a sunbelt program has the ability to just reload on the fly like that? If you do you’re going to be massively disappointed in App State for years to come. Also, did some of y’all think Bryan Brown was just going to leave his playbook in some secret spot with clues to Ted Roof on where to find it? We were the 4th ranked d in the country and lost our 4 most important pieces from that unit, it was obvious to anyone that we would take a step back on that side of the ball this year. Anyone who says or thinks otherwise is either disingenuous or just doesn’t know much about college football at the G5 level.
I'm sorry to offend you, but I have posted nearly what you just said if you want to take the time to research. Just didn't feel like regurgitating it. I yield to you sir. I know nothing. Let's extend his contract.
BLACK SATURDAY

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:33 pm

U-mess is perpetually in the bottom 10, UNCC beating them soundly is still not enough for me to say they have greatly improved. I will give it another week or 2 before I make that call

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Yeah and two seasons ago, that perpetual bottom 10 beat us.

I don't expect them to knock off Clemson but FAU and FIU should be wins for them at the level they've been playing. Regardless, they don't appear to be a dumpster fire anymore so that'll help us with a strength of schedule later on down the line assuming we have our act together.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:45 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:33 pm
U-mess is perpetually in the bottom 10, UNCC beating them soundly is still not enough for me to say they have greatly improved. I will give it another week or 2 before I make that call
Well, UMass beat uncc by three scores (18 points) last year so I think you CAN say they've greatly improved.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Coastal put up 46 and ULL scored 77 today. Hoping our D is putting in the work.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:22 pm

Not sure Norfolk St and Tx So tell us much about Coastal and ULL’s offenses.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Bye week blues. I walked in the living room this morning and my son was watching a replay of the MTSU vs App Bowl game.
The Appalachian State

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:26 am

Having to "root" for Charlotte to win football games is a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition. Damned if you do because their winning helps validate their program and can only help add another "selling point" to recruits, the same recruits we are often competing to sign. Damned if you don't because it causes our SoS to suffer over the course of the season and makes our porous defensive effort last week look even worse. Either way, it's really a no win.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:50 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:26 am
Having to "root" for Charlotte to win football games is a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition. Damned if you do because their winning helps validate their program and can only help add another "selling point" to recruits, the same recruits we are often competing to sign. Damned if you don't because it causes our SoS to suffer over the course of the season and makes our porous defensive effort last week look even worse. Either way, it's really a no win.
Since we don't play them again until 2026, I can root for them this season and pull against in them succeeding years.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:20 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:26 pm
Bye week blues. I walked in the living room this morning and my son was watching a replay of the MTSU vs App Bowl game.
I haven’t been able to find that game on espn. Did you record it.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:34 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:20 am
appstatealum wrote:
Yeah, we went to the game, so I recorded it for later "film room analysis".
The Appalachian State

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:37 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
It’s on YouTube

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:08 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:37 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
It’s on YouTube
I looked and found highlights but not the whole game....I’ll look again.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:13 am

Had a link but it wasn’t the game. Sorry.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:11 am

I thought ETSU would be a force in the SoCon. Wrong. In other news Mark Speir is on the chopping block,FU was a play away from taking down V Tech , El Cid beat another P5. I watched GSo give Minnesota a win in what was an entertaining game....yeah , it was bye week.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
I'm sorry but I saw more open receivers than I've seen in a long time and a lot more YAC than we are used to seeing. Something isn't quite right. Great success last year, returning 7 starters? Why monkey with it?
It’s almost like we lost 2 CB’s to NFL rosters. Like, I’m not trying to be rude, but do you really not take stuff like that into consideration before posting? Do you honestly think a sunbelt program has the ability to just reload on the fly like that? If you do you’re going to be massively disappointed in App State for years to come. Also, did some of y’all think Bryan Brown was just going to leave his playbook in some secret spot with clues to Ted Roof on where to find it? We were the 4th ranked d in the country and lost our 4 most important pieces from that unit, it was obvious to anyone that we would take a step back on that side of the ball this year. Anyone who says or thinks otherwise is either disingenuous or just doesn’t know much about college football at the G5 level.
Of course a G5 team won't simply replace guys who got a shot in the NFL or a 1st team All-Conf player so easily every year but we kept recruiting better and better. If you are saying our talent should drop off big time then you are saying Brown, Satt, etc did not recruit as well the last couple years and that is simply not true. Our coaches felt the corners stepping in now were just as good as the seniors but without the experience. Who were the 4 most important pieces last year? I thought our top guys Stout, Gaither, Fehr, Hayes, Franklin, Duck, and Smith.

I'm sure you would have said the same at RB if we did not have someone as good as Moore and Evans turns out to be just as good. Skill players can be replaced much easier so I would not highlight the corner losses as much as Stout.

We lost two very good CBs but our coaches felt the guys behind them were going to be very good as well. We do not have 2 CBs from last year's squad on NFL rosters. They got a shot but did not make opening day rosters.

As for the playbook, nobody expected Roof to have a secret copy laying around but you have a ton of players returning who have it, know the schemes, etc. Roof can also watch film of 2018 and see exactly what type of stuff Brown did. If you can't watch film and take enough notes to know what the team did prior then you aren't good enough to coach.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:17 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:26 am
I'm sorry but if we are competing with them for a lot of recruits I'll be upset. Out of 20 recruits I could see 2-4 we both want. We should want a better player. And if a player is going to pick them over us simply because they are winning a couple games this year then that player is not very smart. Unless they have a major we don't we should get any player we want over them. We have titles, tradition, history, a team receiving votes in the polls, and we have a lot of players who went to the NFL. We should be able to win recruiting battles. Yes, they will win one here and there but if our big name coaches don't beat Charlotte in recruiting then I will wonder what they are doing. Now if are talking about UNC, Georgia Southern, Vanderbilt, Virginia, VT, NC State, Wake Forest, East Carolina, etc I understand but there should not be any real competition with our two programs other than us both wanting a few players from the Charlotte area. I want Charlotte to win 5-6 games. It would show they are not bad but if we do what we should that won't hurt us one bit on any player.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:18 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:33 pm
Just watching the way Charlotte plays they are better but still should not be someone we are afraid of. If they beat us head to head and have a couple CUSA titles in a row and are selling out their stadium every week then I will worry.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:40 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:13 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Of course a G5 team won't simply replace guys who got a shot in the NFL or a 1st team All-Conf player so easily every year but we kept recruiting better and better. If you are saying our talent should drop off big time then you are saying Brown, Satt, etc did not recruit as well the last couple years and that is simply not true. Our coaches felt the corners stepping in now were just as good as the seniors but without the experience. Who were the 4 most important pieces last year? I thought our top guys Stout, Gaither, Fehr, Hayes, Franklin, Duck, and Smith.

I'm sure you would have said the same at RB if we did not have someone as good as Moore and Evans turns out to be just as good. Skill players can be replaced much easier so I would not highlight the corner losses as much as Stout.

We lost two very good CBs but our coaches felt the guys behind them were going to be very good as well. We do not have 2 CBs from last year's squad on NFL rosters. They got a shot but did not make opening day rosters.

As for the playbook, nobody expected Roof to have a secret copy laying around but you have a ton of players returning who have it, know the schemes, etc. Roof can also watch film of 2018 and see exactly what type of stuff Brown did. If you can't watch film and take enough notes to know what the team did prior then you aren't good enough to coach.
I don’t take 247 recruiting as the gospel but how do you know we’ve been recruiting better? Our 2015 class was #114, 2016 was #109, 2017 was #107, 2018 was #113, 2018 was #101. I don’t think you can just say flat out we’ve been recruiting guys who can step in day 1 and replace what we lost. Also they are on NFL practice squads which I’m pretty sure is what i said but if i didn’t and you wanna quibble in semantics then have at it. It’s pretty obvious SJC, Jolly, and Jones are pretty big step backs from Hayes and Duck, along with missing Stout.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”