Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Quit yer bitchin'

Boroneer10
School: Appalachian State

Re: Quit yer bitchin'

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:42 am
Remember how bad we sucked when Coach Satterfield took over? It will pass. I just hate we play SC and UNC this season with things sucking so badly.
What are you talking about? We have every reason to be annoyed. This team is stacked with talent, and returning production from last year. I’m gonna say something when it’s not performing up to potential.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am

NewApp wrote:
Remember how bad we sucked when Coach Satterfield took over? It will pass. I just hate we play SC and UNC this season with things sucking so badly.
That was an FCS transition program that was rebuilding. Nate Woody had to rebuild a defense and and install his scheme that would capitalize on the level of talent we could recruit. We get hybrid and versatile guys, not the type of guys top P5 schools are getting. We can put our DBs on islands or expect our DL to dominate the line. The comparisons to that coaching transition are asanine and uninformed
The Appalachian State

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:42 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am
NewApp wrote:
That was an FCS transition program that was rebuilding. Nate Woody had to rebuild a defense and and install his scheme that would capitalize on the level of talent we could recruit. We get hybrid and versatile guys, not the type of guys top P5 schools are getting. We can put our DBs on islands or expect our DL to dominate the line. The comparisons to that coaching transition are asanine and uninformed
How about comparisons to when we lost to ULM and UMASS just 2 years ago with Nate Woody's defense already well installed?

Defense hasn't looked great, but people calling for a coach to be fired after 2 games is wild.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:42 am

AppSt12 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 am
MountainMan2020 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am
NewApp wrote:
Nice! A post to “quit your bitchin” ends with a statement on how things are “sucking so badly”! :?: Hey boss... we’re 2-0! Understanding there are concerns, could certainly be worse!
It could be worse...true...but we could be on track for a 3-9 year and still be expected to beat etsu and charlotte. These are our 2 weakest opponents. I would say giving up 41 to Charlotte is the 2nd worst thing ti happen during our full FBS seasons. The worst being a loss to umass. But that game we had a violent injury problem. One could argue this is unprecedented for us in the last 4 years....
I completely disagree that these are our two weakest opponents. Charlotte will be better than half of our Sunbelt opponents. They have improved significantly.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:47 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:19 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:54 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 am
Trock44 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:27 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:18 am
We definitely have some things to work on. This is when coaches earn their money. The OL, DL and DBs all have work to do. I still think the more aggressive play calling is yet to come and that will help. This is college football and ugly games happen. Charlotte isn't the cupcake some wanted to pretend they are. App won't continue having that many mental errors. We have two weeks to coach them up. Beat the Heels!!!!
These aren’t aren’t mental errors if you ask me. The guys were recruited to be in a 3-4 scheme and Roof is trying to make it a 4-3...With heavy blitzing and heavy man coverage. When have we ever run man coverage and blitzed that much ever? These safeties aren’t meant to play man coverage and Fehr and Davis-Gaithers are great Zone guys.

Last year we finished as a top 20 program on defense efficiency...this year we are the 12th worst at the moment.

These guys are clueless in the new system and it is obvious.
Holding and late hits are mental errors. Yes, Roof tried some man coverage and blitzed. My guess is that he is he was trying to get pressure on the QB which wasn't happening with out front 3. We are feeling the loss if Stout and out DBs. I agree that the man coverage wasn't working but can't blame the guy for trying it.

This was our first real challenge and we now have tape to analyze to make adjustments. Its way too early to hit the panic button.
I agree. I get the feeling we went into both of our first two games thinking of trying some things on defense and holding back on the playbook. I know we will look great on offense once we get more time between coaches and players and return the injured players.

However, Roof has two weeks to show improvement on defense. We have plenty of time to prep for UNC and he now knows for sure that his man coverage does not work for our team. UNCC was better but still should have been a 25 point game. If he does not go back to cover 2 against UNC and we don't see our defense step up big time then we know it is ego and he just is not a good DC.

Coaching is heavily based on making changes and he has the perfect chance here to show us he can do that. I'm not saying we have to shut out UNC but giving up 40-50 against them should not be tolerated. They are a better team and I don't expect us to score 40 on them but I also don't expect to give it up to them.
Your last paragraph ain't even close to where this is at. UNC has more talent and is now playing with confidence. They have suddenly figured out how to win and they know they can come from behind. We better get a lot better in two weeks or they are going to eat our cookies.
As of right now I agree with that for most part. Remember that we had some injuries and still have not seen Sutton yet. The issue is that we have as much talent as them on offense and are not far behind on defense. I would not be surprised if this was a shootout and the final 45-42 or something.

UNC is better for sure and has made that a game that if I had to bet I would say we should lose by 10. My big fear is that Roof will see this board and his ego is so big that he will think we are just stupid and that last year's defense was not better and force change.

The only way I would be behind making a coaching change at this moment is if we could get Nate Woody this week. That just isn't living in the real world so we know it won't happen.

It is too bad we did not pony up the money to pay Brown. He was our biggest loss.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:03 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:47 am

It is too bad we did not pony up the money to pay Brown. He was our biggest loss.
Pay him for what job, DC? Certainly there was no way he was staying in that role for us once Satt asked him to come to UL. Brown probably makes as much as Drink now.

I thought we should have asked Brown to interview for our HC job, but from what I’ve heard he may not have been interested in that either.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Trock44 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 am
Appster99 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am
UNC actually has quality defenders. I have a problem believing Charlotte has a better D line than Tarholes. Zac was sacked way too many times yesterday. I'm counting on Drink having something up his sleeve more than we have seen so far. If we don't see something different next game the "holding back to not show our hand" card has been played, and its getting dealt a 6 when we hit while holding 16.
We should be fine. Our backup left tackle started the game and let up 3 sacks. Victor Johnson came into the game after being “questionable,” and did his job.
In addition to two 15 yard penalties. Frankly, while I was concerned watching Charlotte move at will in the 2nd half, the number of times we allowed them to sustain drives because of our undisciplined play was more disturbing.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am
NewApp wrote:
What are you talking about? We have every reason to be annoyed. This team is stacked with talent, and returning production from last year. I’m gonna say something when it’s not performing up to potential.
I don't think we are giving Charlotte's players enough credit here. We missed several (I counted 5) open field one-on-one tackles; their QB threw several balls on a dime when our DB had good coverage; their receivers made some great catches and found the open in our soft zones or beat our DBs in man-to-man. Charlotte was HUNGRY and well-prepared. I am not in panic mode yet but it may take some time or new personnel to run Roof's defense.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:13 pm

MountainMan2020 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am
NewApp wrote:
Nice! A post to “quit your bitchin” ends with a statement on how things are “sucking so badly”! :?: Hey boss... we’re 2-0! Understanding there are concerns, could certainly be worse

What I should have said was when some think it is sucking so badly. I like the 2-0 part.
Last edited by NewApp on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:14 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:03 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:47 am

Pay him for what job, DC? Certainly there was no way he was staying in that role for us once Satt asked him to come to UL. Brown probably makes as much as Drink now.

I thought we should have asked Brown to interview for our HC job, but from what I’ve heard he may not have been interested in that either.
Brown said he wasn’t ready...

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Then write a check for the rest of Coach Roof's contract if you and others want him fired. We would be the laughing stock of the nation if we fired a coach after only two games.
Google SUX

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:50 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Then write a check for the rest of Coach Roof's contract if you and others want him fired. We would be the laughing stock of the nation if we fired a coach after only two games.
I dont know if I speak for everyone, but I think it's obvious we cant fire him. Its just painful misery knowing that many of us were right, and what a terrible hire it was. This could have been such a special season.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:04 pm

The season ain’t dead yet but we gotta rely on Drink to step up and take charge.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:08 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
That's awesome! Have you spoken with Doug or Drink yet? How about Roof himself? Have you had a sit down with them. Let us know how it goes.

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Tomorrow's press conference would be hoot if all of these fire Roof, keyboard warriors show up. 😂

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:53 pm

I can't believe no one has made a joke about roofies yet.

Maybe "I gave MYSELF a roofie Saturday night to forget how the D played."

Also I would like this thread better it it was titled Quit yer yammering. Alliterative and yammer is a funny word.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:56 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 am
This is different than when Satterfield took over. We were getting depleted from the last years of Jerry’s tenure. We were transitioning to FBS and had nothing to play for. We were building a team from scratch.
Now we have a championship team and have for years. Why can’t a new coaching staff come in (with members from the old staff) and do the same thing that was successfully done with the same players for years?
Do you watch college football other than App? Or other sports in general? There are myriad examples of coaches leaving a stacked cupboard and the next coach still having some major growing pains in the first year. It happens in college, pros, and every sport. Look at Mississippi State as a recent example.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 pm

Brown got the job he wanted.Ivey and Jones wanted to stay but it didn’t work out. Drink hired his people and will rise or fall with them . It’s not reasonable, my opinion, to judge the staff based on two games. And we are 2-0.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am
NewApp wrote:
I didn't say anything to the contrary and wasn't just talking about the defense. I don't think we suck now, but it appears most of the members on here do. Calling for firing after two games, that is what is asinine.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:26 pm

AppSt91 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 pm
Tomorrow's press conference would be hoot if all of these fire Roof, keyboard warriors show up. 😂
Yep!!! ;) ;) ;)
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”