Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Quit yer bitchin'

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Quit yer bitchin'

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:42 am

Remember how bad we sucked when Coach Satterfield took over? It will pass. I just hate we play SC and UNC this season with things sucking so badly.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

MountainMan2020

Re: Quit yer bitchin'

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:42 am
Remember how bad we sucked when Coach Satterfield took over? It will pass. I just hate we play SC and UNC this season with things sucking so badly.
Nice! A post to “quit your bitchin” ends with a statement on how things are “sucking so badly”! :?: Hey boss... we’re 2-0! Understanding there are concerns, could certainly be worse!

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 am

MountainMan2020 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am
NewApp wrote:
Nice! A post to “quit your bitchin” ends with a statement on how things are “sucking so badly”! :?: Hey boss... we’re 2-0! Understanding there are concerns, could certainly be worse!
It could be worse...true...but we could be on track for a 3-9 year and still be expected to beat etsu and charlotte. These are our 2 weakest opponents. I would say giving up 41 to Charlotte is the 2nd worst thing ti happen during our full FBS seasons. The worst being a loss to umass. But that game we had a violent injury problem. One could argue this is unprecedented for us in the last 4 years....

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 am

This is different than when Satterfield took over. We were getting depleted from the last years of Jerry’s tenure. We were transitioning to FBS and had nothing to play for. We were building a team from scratch.
Now we have a championship team and have for years. Why can’t a new coaching staff come in (with members from the old staff) and do the same thing that was successfully done with the same players for years?

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 am

I think many of us cringed when we heard Drinkwitz was bringing Roof with him. Seems it was a choice of ease rather than a thought out coaching selection.
Our old defensive scheme gave up 0 yesterday in Louisville...
Hopefully we can just out score UNC in a shootout.

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 am

Offense is fine. We put up 56 without Sutton and our first half got off to a bad start because our backup left tackle gave up 3 sacks. Victor Johnson came into the game and did his job in the second half.

The defense on the other hand was terrible. Why run a 4-3 defense with heavy man coverage, heavy blitzing and putting our guys in situations they aren’t meant to be in. These guys need a 3-4 heavy zone defense and forcing opponents to sustain long drives like we’ve always done. How many 50+ yard plays and broken coverages did you see last year?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:18 am

We definitely have some things to work on. This is when coaches earn their money. The OL, DL and DBs all have work to do. I still think the more aggressive play calling is yet to come and that will help. This is college football and ugly games happen. Charlotte isn't the cupcake some wanted to pretend they are. App won't continue having that many mental errors. We have two weeks to coach them up. Beat the Heels!!!!

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:20 am

AppSt12 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 am
MountainMan2020 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am
NewApp wrote:
It could be worse...true...but we could be on track for a 3-9 year and still be expected to beat etsu and charlotte. These are our 2 weakest opponents. I would say giving up 41 to Charlotte is the 2nd worst thing ti happen during our full FBS seasons. The worst being a loss to umass. But that game we had a violent injury problem. One could argue this is unprecedented for us in the last 4 years....
“Sucking badly” is likely more appropriate for a record of 1-1 or 0-2 at this point. I get that we haven’t been as impressive or perhaps lived up to expectations to date, and it’s certainly possible we get rolled in two weeks. But I’m not ready just yet to throw in the towel. Anyway, the intent in my initial post was the humor in a request to “quit bitchin” followed by a statement on how we suck badly in the same post! 🤔

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:27 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:18 am
We definitely have some things to work on. This is when coaches earn their money. The OL, DL and DBs all have work to do. I still think the more aggressive play calling is yet to come and that will help. This is college football and ugly games happen. Charlotte isn't the cupcake some wanted to pretend they are. App won't continue having that many mental errors. We have two weeks to coach them up. Beat the Heels!!!!
These aren’t aren’t mental errors if you ask me. The guys were recruited to be in a 3-4 scheme and Roof is trying to make it a 4-3...With heavy blitzing and heavy man coverage. When have we ever run man coverage and blitzed that much ever? These safeties aren’t meant to play man coverage and Fehr and Davis-Gaithers are great Zone guys.

Last year we finished as a top 20 program on defense efficiency...this year we are the 12th worst at the moment.

These guys are clueless in the new system and it is obvious.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am

UNC actually has quality defenders. I have a problem believing Charlotte has a better D line than Tarholes. Zac was sacked way too many times yesterday. I'm counting on Drink having something up his sleeve more than we have seen so far. If we don't see something different next game the "holding back to not show our hand" card has been played, and its getting dealt a 6 when we hit while holding 16.

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 am

Appster99 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am
UNC actually has quality defenders. I have a problem believing Charlotte has a better D line than Tarholes. Zac was sacked way too many times yesterday. I'm counting on Drink having something up his sleeve more than we have seen so far. If we don't see something different next game the "holding back to not show our hand" card has been played, and its getting dealt a 6 when we hit while holding 16.
We should be fine. Our backup left tackle started the game and let up 3 sacks. Victor Johnson came into the game after being “questionable,” and did his job.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 am

NewApp wrote:
PLEASE Everyone - stop comparing Coach Satterfield's first year to this year - Make all points positively and negatively about this years teams if you so please - but other than it being the head coaches first season as the head man there is basically nothing comparable ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:33 am

We were one of the leaders last year in fewest plays over 30 yards allowed.
Yesterday, we gave up over 500 yards, 4 “chunk” plays that exceeded 30 yards (all lead to Charlotte Touchdowns) and 6 or 7 more plays that went for more than 20 yards.

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:33 am
We were one of the leaders last year in fewest plays over 30 yards allowed.
Yesterday, we gave up over 500 yards, 4 “chunk” plays that exceeded 30 yards (all lead to Charlotte Touchdowns) and 6 or 7 more plays that went for more than 20 yards.
The Ted Roof effect is in full force. We need our defense back. Roof trying to do things his way will never work. These players aren’t meant to play in this type of system.

The 3-4 Heavy Zone defense that hardly blitzed, and forced teams to sustain long drives is needed.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 am

I never saw a 4-3.We did have linebackers playing on the edge. With that said , the defense was horrendous on the backside. Our DBs didn’t know where the ball was 90% of the time. The lack of adjustment to the UNCC scheme was dumbfounding. The weather and crowd were fantastic though....

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 am
I never saw a 4-3.We did have linebackers playing on the edge. With that said , the defense was horrendous on the backside. Our DBs didn’t know where the ball was 90% of the time. The lack of adjustment to the UNCC scheme was dumbfounding. The weather and crowd were fantastic though....
We forced our DBs and Linebackers to play 1-1 man coverage with no safety help because they were playing man coverage as well. We blitzed almost every play which gave them easy completions.

They ran a 4-3 hybrid against UNCC. I’m okay if they run a 4-3, I just don’t like our guys being put into man coverage and blitzing way too often. Last year we had maybe 4-5 pass rushers on every down with a great zone defense that took the top off of the offense.

Josh Thomas and Desmond Franklin are Zone safeties. Jordan Fehr and Akeem Davis-Gaither shouldn’t be blitzing up the middle or being put into man coverage every play. Our new starting corners, Shaun Jolly and Shemar Jean-Charles shouldn’t be playing man coverage without safety help overtop.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 am

Yes. And that.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 am

Trock44 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:27 am
Yosef84 wrote:
These aren’t aren’t mental errors if you ask me. The guys were recruited to be in a 3-4 scheme and Roof is trying to make it a 4-3...With heavy blitzing and heavy man coverage. When have we ever run man coverage and blitzed that much ever? These safeties aren’t meant to play man coverage and Fehr and Davis-Gaithers are great Zone guys.

Last year we finished as a top 20 program on defense efficiency...this year we are the 12th worst at the moment.

Holding and late hits are mental errors. Yes, Roof tried some man coverage and blitzed. My guess is that he is he was trying to get pressure on the QB which wasn't happening with out front 3. We are feeling the loss if Stout and out DBs. I agree that the man coverage wasn't working but can't blame the guy for trying it.

This was our first real challenge and we now have tape to analyze to make adjustments. Its way too early to hit the panic button.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:54 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 am
Trock44 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

Holding and late hits are mental errors. Yes, Roof tried some man coverage and blitzed. My guess is that he is he was trying to get pressure on the QB which wasn't happening with out front 3. We are feeling the loss if Stout and out DBs. I agree that the man coverage wasn't working but can't blame the guy for trying it.

This was our first real challenge and we now have tape to analyze to make adjustments. Its way too early to hit the panic button.
I agree. I get the feeling we went into both of our first two games thinking of trying some things on defense and holding back on the playbook. I know we will look great on offense once we get more time between coaches and players and return the injured players.

However, Roof has two weeks to show improvement on defense. We have plenty of time to prep for UNC and he now knows for sure that his man coverage does not work for our team. UNCC was better but still should have been a 25 point game. If he does not go back to cover 2 against UNC and we don't see our defense step up big time then we know it is ego and he just is not a good DC.

Coaching is heavily based on making changes and he has the perfect chance here to show us he can do that. I'm not saying we have to shut out UNC but giving up 40-50 against them should not be tolerated. They are a better team and I don't expect us to score 40 on them but I also don't expect to give it up to them.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:19 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:54 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 am
Trock44 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

I agree. I get the feeling we went into both of our first two games thinking of trying some things on defense and holding back on the playbook. I know we will look great on offense once we get more time between coaches and players and return the injured players.

However, Roof has two weeks to show improvement on defense. We have plenty of time to prep for UNC and he now knows for sure that his man coverage does not work for our team. UNCC was better but still should have been a 25 point game. If he does not go back to cover 2 against UNC and we don't see our defense step up big time then we know it is ego and he just is not a good DC.

Coaching is heavily based on making changes and he has the perfect chance here to show us he can do that. I'm not saying we have to shut out UNC but giving up 40-50 against them should not be tolerated. They are a better team and I don't expect us to score 40 on them but I also don't expect to give it up to them.
Your last paragraph ain't even close to where this is at. UNC has more talent and is now playing with confidence. They have suddenly figured out how to win and they know they can come from behind. We better get a lot better in two weeks or they are going to eat our cookies.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”