Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Quit yer bitchin'

Yosef84

Re: Quit yer bitchin'

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:58 pm

I hope nobody dislocates a shoulder patting yourselves on the back over having "gotten it right". It's WAY too early to draw any conclusions. I get it. Nobody was happy about the defense last year but any reasonable analyst over the past year has commented that we had some questions to answer with the key players we lost. Maybe some of you guys who proclaimed Brown the Messiah of 3-4 D should consider that he might have been happy to bail. Maybe he knew he was going to be in over his head. Personally, I think we should stop pining for the guy who left App after ONE year's experience as a DC. We have a DC who has won a National Championship at Auburn and who has tons of experience. I think we support the guy who came here and who is studying film today getting ready to prep for UNC. To be clear, I'm not actually trying to slam Brown here, but he chose to leave so it serves zero purpose to trash our current DC in favor of one who chose to leave. One game and a failed experiment with man coverage are not enough basis to draw ANY conclusion.

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:56 pm
The Rock wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 am
This is different than when Satterfield took over. We were getting depleted from the last years of Jerry’s tenure. We were transitioning to FBS and had nothing to play for. We were building a team from scratch.
Now we have a championship team and have for years. Why can’t a new coaching staff come in (with members from the old staff) and do the same thing that was successfully done with the same players for years?
Do you watch college football other than App? Or other sports in general? There are myriad examples of coaches leaving a stacked cupboard and the next coach still having some major growing pains in the first year. It happens in college, pros, and every sport. Look at Mississippi State as a recent example.
Allow me to answer your question with a question. Have you ever heard of University of Central Florida, or UCF? Did you know that Scott Frost had a 19-7 record during his tenure there, winning 6 games his first year and going 11-0 and winning bowl games his second year?When he left for Nebraska after that season he took his whole staff with him?
Did you know that very next year (last year) that very same UCF team went 12-1 with an entirely new HC and staff, their only loss being to LSU in their bowl game after losing their starting QB to a horrific leg injury?
So it is entirely possible for a new staff to take over a very good football team with no regression.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm

It’s a fair point, but it really is the exception to the rule.

Cheer4APP

UNC Game

Unread post by Cheer4APP » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:40 pm

I am hoping that our offensive minded coach paid attention to his defense yesterday. Many of us have had our eye on 21 September for almost a year. I fear that if we go to Kenan and get monstered that the honeymoon will truly be over.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm
Perhaps, but isn’t being the exception to the rule kind of the goal?

Cheer4APP

Unread post by Cheer4APP » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:51 pm

I am hoping that our offensive minded coach was paying attention to his defense yesterday. The date of the UNC game has been on the minds of many of us for almost a year. If we go to Kenan and get monstered the honeymoon will truly be over.

I understand there will be a transition period anytime there is a coaching change. But I had some concerns about the defense after the East Tennessee game. After yesterday my concerns run a lot deeper.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm
Perhaps, but isn’t being the exception to the rule kind of the goal?
We are already the exception to the rule. First team to be 4-0 in bowl games. 1 losing season in decades. Most programs want to be us, either secretly or outwardly, but I’m sure after they were winless, they would have traded out success for their souls.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:39 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 pm
MrCraig wrote:
The Rock wrote:
This is different than when Satterfield took over. We were getting depleted from the last years of Jerry’s tenure. We were transitioning to FBS and had nothing to play for. We were building a team from scratch.
Now we have a championship team and have for years. Why can’t a new coaching staff come in (with members from the old staff) and do the same thing that was successfully done with the same players for years?
Do you watch college football other than App? Or other sports in general? There are myriad examples of coaches leaving a stacked cupboard and the next coach still having some major growing pains in the first year. It happens in college, pros, and every sport. Look at Mississippi State as a recent example.
Allow me to answer your question with a question. Have you ever heard of University of Central Florida, or UCF? Did you know that Scott Frost had a 19-7 record during his tenure there, winning 6 games his first year and going 11-0 and winning bowl games his second year?When he left for Nebraska after that season he took his whole staff with him?
Did you know that very next year (last year) that very same UCF team went 12-1 with an entirely new HC and staff, their only loss being to LSU in their bowl game after losing their starting QB to a horrific leg injury?
So it is entirely possible for a new staff to take over a very good football team with no regression.
And I would counter your argument with Florida after Urban Meyer left, Texas after Mack Brown left, Western Michigan after PJ Fleck left, Florida State after Bobby Bowden left and again after Jimbo Fischer left, Florida again after Steve Spurrier left... do you need more examples? The exception to the rule is exactly that. I said early in the off-season that we should temper our expectations because there’s always hiccups when there’s a coaching switch.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 am

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:39 pm
The Rock wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
The Rock wrote:
And I would counter your argument with Florida after Urban Meyer left, Texas after Mack Brown left, Western Michigan after PJ Fleck left, Florida State after Bobby Bowden left and again after Jimbo Fischer left, Florida again after Steve Spurrier left... do you need more examples? The exception to the rule is exactly that. I said early in the off-season that we should temper our expectations because there’s always hiccups when there’s a coaching switch.
You are comparing Apples to oranges. Yes, those were iconic coaches, but their teams were in decline.
In 2009 FSU went 7-6 when Bobby left.
In 2010 Urban Meyer went 8-5 (4-4 in conference) and Mack Brown’s Texas team went 8-5 his last year after missing a bowl game the previous year.
App is much more in a situation as UCF was last year with a loaded roster, and good experience and win totals steadily climbing.

You say there are “always hiccups” with a coaching switch, but clearly my example of UCF proves that wrong

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:58 pm
I hope nobody dislocates a shoulder patting yourselves on the back over having "gotten it right". It's WAY too early to draw any conclusions. I get it. Nobody was happy about the defense last year but any reasonable analyst over the past year has commented that we had some questions to answer with the key players we lost. Maybe some of you guys who proclaimed Brown the Messiah of 3-4 D should consider that he might have been happy to bail. Maybe he knew he was going to be in over his head. Personally, I think we should stop pining for the guy who left App after ONE year's experience as a DC. We have a DC who has won a National Championship at Auburn and who has tons of experience. I think we support the guy who came here and who is studying film today getting ready to prep for UNC. To be clear, I'm not actually trying to slam Brown here, but he chose to leave so it serves zero purpose to trash our current DC in favor of one who chose to leave. One game and a failed experiment with man coverage are not enough basis to draw ANY conclusion.
You really don’t know what you’re talking about. Everyone was satisfied with our top 20 defensive efficiency last year. We have 7 returning starters, 5 are seniors. We lost 2 NFL guys, Ronald Blair and Doug Middleton who are still playing on Sundays after 2015 and our defense was even better in 2016.

Also, almost anywhere Ted Roof has been didn’t succeed on defense. Yes he won a national championship but took over one of the best defenses in college football, and they still let go of him like numerous places after not coaching to their standards
Last edited by Trock44 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:23 am

it's a waste of breath, or keystrokes, to compare us to any P5 program with regard to coaching changes. Apples and Oranges. We don't have the $ to throw away quality coaches. And yeah, quality is what I intended to type about Roof. The guys on the other side of the ball are trying too, sometimes their schemes work. Ref. Ga State v TN or any upset of your choice.

Beat the 'holes.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:39 am

Said it before and I’ll say it again, the single biggest reason we’re in an uproar is we see the potential this season offers. We got ranked last year and going into this season we have a great group of players. If we can finally get over the hump and start beating P5 teams we can become relevant, our recruiting profile can soar and we can become the next Boise or UCF. To many this was looking like the season for that to happen and it still can happen. But I have to be honest, when the season started I smelled blood in the water, after Saturday’s game I kind of feel like bait.

boonedocks

Unread post by boonedocks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:58 am

I hate to say this as I really expected to beat UNC-CH and South Carolina, but the team that played Charlotte is getting rolled by UNC-CH if they don't get much better in 2 weeks.

That was basically the same Charlotte team we played last year, and they carved up our defense all day. Not good at all. I'm not saying we can't improve, but there is no sugar coating how bad that was.

Stout and the CB's are huge losses that I underestimated how hard it would be to replace. You throw in Coach Roof, whose track record is not good, here we are.

nomadb

Unread post by nomadb » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am

We are really focused, for good reason, on the effects of our coaching change, particularly on defense but I feel like we need to also realize that this ISN'T the same coaching staff for UNCC and there is a dramatic difference in how they play.

Last year's UNCC team would have rolled over when we were up by 20ish points in the second half. This UNCC team didn't quit and it looked like our guys did.

I sincerely hope that Roof proves the vocal critics wrong and I hope all of you including the vocal critics want to see that too. I am not impressed with what I see from his defense and particularly the lack of ability to adjust in-game, but we need to see what he does next week. I don't think we have a proper sample size to totally freak out yet.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:30 am

boonedocks wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:58 am
I hate to say this as I really expected to beat UNC-CH and South Carolina, but the team that played Charlotte is getting rolled by UNC-CH if they don't get much better in 2 weeks.

That was basically the same Charlotte team we played last year, and they carved up our defense all day. Not good at all. I'm not saying we can't improve, but there is no sugar coating how bad that was.

Stout and the CB's are huge losses that I underestimated how hard it would be to replace. You throw in Coach Roof, whose track record is not good, here we are.
I don’t know how much Charlotte’s roster changed, but they never quit and you could see their confidence building. I have to give credit to a new coach creating a new attitude. I feel like this game would have been more competitive than last years even if we hadn’t had the coaching change. We probably would not have given up 41, but we may not have scored 56 either. Point is they are much improved and we are status quo at best.

boonedocks

Unread post by boonedocks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 am

[/quote]
I don’t know how much Charlotte’s roster changed, but they never quit and you could see their confidence building. I have to give credit to a new coach creating a new attitude. I feel like this game would have been more competitive than last years even if we hadn’t had the coaching change. We probably would not have given up 41, but we may not have scored 56 either. Point is they are much improved and we are status quo at best.
[/quote]

I agree they built confidence because they were carving us up. I disagree that a new attitude matters that much. I still saw a pretty big talent discrepancy and we were much faster on defense than their offense. I am probably wrong though.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:54 am

The Rock wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 am
MrCraig wrote:
The Rock wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
The Rock wrote:
You are comparing Apples to oranges. Yes, those were iconic coaches, but their teams were in decline.
In 2010 Urban Meyer went 8-5 (4-4 in conference) and Mack Brown’s Texas team went 8-5 his last year after missing a bowl game the previous year.
App is much more in a situation as UCF was last year with a loaded roster, and good experience and win totals steadily climbing.

You say there are “always hiccups” with a coaching switch, but clearly my example of UCF proves that wrong
Alright, find me another example. If you can prove that UCF was the rule and not the exception, I'll back down.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 am

I don't think anyone will find many other examples on the G5 level - most jump once they have had that "special" season - that is the "rule" - except for Coach Satterfield and maybe a couple of others - that is the exception because they leave behind a solid program with quality returning players ---
Fedora left SoMiss after a 12-2 and ranking - the next 2 seasons they went 1-23 and add the 3rd season and that makes it 4-32
Fleck left WMU after 13-1 and top 15 ranking - they have been .500 since
Memphis has remained pretty solid after Fuente

I am sure there are other examples but someone else can dig them up
Rarely does a G5 coach jump to P5 program and leave the next coach stocked like what Coach Satterfield did
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:23 am

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:54 am
The Rock wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 am
MrCraig wrote:
The Rock wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Alright, find me another example. If you can prove that UCF was the rule and not the exception, I'll back down.
How about I give you an assignment?
Find a program that was at the top of their game, had a coaching change, then the new coach had a downturn but eventually brought it back to the top.

I’m sure there are plenty of examples of new coaches having downturns, and not turning it around and eventually being fired.
I’m sure there are examples of weak programs getting turned around after a few years and being great, but how many successful HCs of top programs (when they were hired) fell off and turned it around?

Not saying at all that Coach Drink isn’t the right guy or won’t be successful, but just because there is a coaching change does not mean there “will always” be a drop off as you said

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:53 am

"Find a program that was at the top of their game, had a coaching change, then the new coach had a downturn but eventually brought it back to the top."

The only G5 program I can think of that didn't seem to miss a beat after coaching changes is Boise St -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”